Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #46
over50visits
DIS Veteran

I sent the tip to CNN; we'll see if they pick it up. They'd of course need to validate it, perhaps with DCL first.

Last edited by over50visits; 08-06-2010 at 06:44 PM.
over50visits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #47
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
I sent the tip to CNN; we'll see if they pick it up. They'd of course need to validate it, perhaps with DCL or the Coast Guard, first.
I also told my local news station. I hope Disney decides to release info about this. I think it will be great publicity for them.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #48
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

The news has been slowly spreading. It has been on a few websites but no national news sites.

This is what Disney has released While sailing from Gibraltar to Barcelona, the Disney Magic rescued 18 people who were aboard a small boat that had lost power. The boat was located by the Disney Magic crew members around 3:45 a.m. today, and the people were brought aboard the ship and provided with food and staterooms.

We are proud of the Disney Magic crew members, who skillfully demonstrated their training and commitment to maritime protocols around saving lives at sea. We have notified authorities in Barcelona of this rescue, and they are coordinating the debarkation of the group and other details.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #49
MegaMouseHouse
Mouseketeer

Way to go Disney! I love stories like this.

Upcoming Trips 2013 - Disney Wonder Alaska 6/9/14, Dream B2B 9/15 + 9/19 2013, Magic TA 9/2014 Completed Trips 2012 - Disney Fantasy 9/12 (dh college grad) 2011 - Disney Magic ETA 5/14 (6th ann cruise) 2010 - Disney Wonder 11/7 (birthday/girls trip), 2009 - Wonder Member cruise 9/09 (momcation) 2008 - Disney Magic WB and WDW 11/08 (mom b-day and college grad) 2007 -9/07 DVC HAL Alaska cruise, 7/07 DL (DD 16th b-day), 2/07 DM WB 2006- WDW and DW 1/06 2005 - 6/05 DL honeymoon trip/fam vac 1976-2000 DL 20+ times (5yr old 1st trip)
MegaMouseHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #50
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
The news has been slowly spreading. It has been on a few websites but no national news sites.

This is what Disney has released While sailing from Gibraltar to Barcelona, the Disney Magic rescued 18 people who were aboard a small boat that had lost power. The boat was located by the Disney Magic crew members around 3:45 a.m. today, and the people were brought aboard the ship and provided with food and staterooms.

We are proud of the Disney Magic crew members, who skillfully demonstrated their training and commitment to maritime protocols around saving lives at sea. We have notified authorities in Barcelona of this rescue, and they are coordinating the debarkation of the group and other details.
I contacted DCL Media Relations and got the same statement.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #51
SuziQZee
Mouseketeer

I think it would be really interesting to watch the CMs in action! How do you "tie up" a small boat to a huge ship?? And what do you do with the small boat after it's empty? If you bring it onboard....how?

Wow, quite a story!!! Way to go Disney Magic! I'm so glad those 18 are safe!

SuziQZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #52
Simba One
Mouseketeer

How cool is that! Great job by the Magic crew and a Disney Cruise for the rescued!

Disney World too many times to count, Disneyland "09, Disney Magic Med '10, Magic Western Caribbean '11 , Disney Wonder Bahamas '10 , Disney Wonder Alaska '12, Wonder California Coast '13, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean '13, Dream Bahamas'14, Magic Southern Caribbean '14, Magic Puerto Rico '14, EB transatlantic '15 and Northern European '15
Simba One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #53
CADisneyMom
DIS Veteran

I hadn't seen anything on the news or online so thank you for posting this information. It's nice to know that Disney took the time to find these people and assist them.
Wonder 2011 Cruise to Nowhere --- Dream 2011 Bahamas
CADisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #54
Malaguti Ball Clan
aka the MALABALL an unstoppable family of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADisneyMom View Post
I'm just glad that they all were safe. No one has asked this question though, What happened that these 18 people ended up in the water?
Most likely Algerian migrants, they have the same problems in the med that we have in Straits of Florida, too many desperate people in boats that are overcrowded, not very seaworthy hoping to make it to a better place.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQZee View Post
I think it would be really interesting to watch the CMs in action! How do you "tie up" a small boat to a huge ship?? And what do you do with the small boat after it's empty? If you bring it onboard....how?

Very slowly, approach from downwind as not to blow down on the smaller boat, through a line and pull them over. Most often then not the boat/raft/tube/ 59 Buick!! is not brought aboard, its is either destroyed (diesel and flares, rammed, shot) or its position is marked and reported.

But.....in this case, I am sure Tink flew over a rope and whole gang tugged it in close. Way to go MAGIC

SSR/OKW/SOG 14 days June 2009
DCL/AKL Jambo 12 days Sep/Oct 2010
Malaguti Ball Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #55
SuziQZee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaguti Ball Clan View Post
Most likely Algerian migrants, they have the same problems in the med that we have in Straits of Florida, too many desperate people in boats that are overcrowded, not very seaworthy hoping to make it to a better place.....

Very slowly, approach from downwind as not to blow down on the smaller boat, through a line and pull them over. Most often then not the boat/raft/tube/ 59 Buick!! is not brought aboard, its is either destroyed (diesel and flares, rammed, shot) or its position is marked and reported.

But.....in this case, I am sure Tink flew over a rope and whole gang tugged it in close. Way to go MAGIC
I really like the image of Tink helping out!!

I checked out the "59 Buick" and was amazed!!! I had no idea that things like that existed!! That's amazing that they can make cars water tight enough to get across the water!!! Thanks for the link!

SuziQZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #56
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADisneyMom View Post
No it doesn't make a difference on your cruise. My old boss was on a Disney cruise when the ship had to actually turn around during the night after leaving Port Canaveral because someone had died. They made it to the port the next day a little late, but not late enough to miss any shore excursions, but then to make it best for everyone they stayed in port a couple hours longer that day. They turned around because it was quicker then to wait for the Coast Guard to come out and remove the person, they probably pulled into Key West to do this and then immediately left.
On our Dec, 2001 Eastern Cruise on the Magic, someone had a heart attack during the night after we left Port Canaveral and the medical staff saved the guy's life. We stopped by a small island (could have been San Salvador Island) the next day to drop him off to be transported back to the States. The only thing we noticed was that the ship was stopped for a while during the time they ferried him to the island. We didn't find out the whole story until a sea day when the topic came up during a Q&A with the captain and he explained it.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
Upcoming Cruise: 7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #57
DVC Mary
I must have missed the lobster

Last June we made a stop on our Eastern Carib cruise at Puerto Rico late at night to drop off someone who needed medical help. I can't remember if we were even late arriving the next day. DCL is so efficient & the ambulance was ready. They loaded the person up & helped his companion off and then we were back on our way.

DSs loved seeing Puerto Rico at night. One area reminded us of Port Royal from POTC.

DCL CMs are WONDERFUL!
WL'99, OKW '00, BWV/AKL '01, AKL '02, BCV '03, VWL '04 & DCL '04, SSR/AKL CL '05, VWL & DCL '06, BWV '07, Queen Nana's 1st trip 80th B-Day GF CL/BWV '08, BWV/ VWL '08 , BCV DCL AKLV '09, BCV '09, Poly CL / AKV 2010, Alaska DCL 2011, AKV CL, BCV, Canada Magic & Fantasy DCL '12,VWL'13,BWV/AKL CL X-mas'13,Univ/VWL Summer '14, DCL AK ?? '15
DVC Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #58
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydebearsmom View Post
Silly question: Does rescueing all of these people slow your cruise down? Are you able to still go to all of your destinations and stay for the set amount of time or does it cut into your cruisetime.
We had no issues making it to our next destination (which was Barcelona) on time. Some of those rescued were put in the 2 rooms next to ours as the people who were in them got off in Gibraltar.

They posted someone outside their room at all times and we never saw them leave. One of them did require a wheelchair. There were numerous visits to the cabin by doctors etc. They were debarked early this morning and we weren't up yet.

They were also brought room service regularly, but I am sure the doctors were monitoring their diet.

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #59
MarkRG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQZee View Post

Hiya Suzi!

Both the Magic and Wonder have their own built in retractable dock to bring a smaller ship alongside, it's how they work ports where they have to tender in.

MonorailGreen.info
Since I stopped counting how many times a long time ago,
here's the first time I went to:
WDW 1976 - DCL 1999 - DLR 1999 - DVC 2000
MarkRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #60
MQHP40
Earning My Ears

Indiana Princess - thanks for the laugh. That was hilarious.
MQHP40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: