Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #166
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

I looked up the cost of all of our meals and figured out what our tip would be at each place, based on two adults, one child and one free child and added up the total tips for our week.

I'm thinking about getting a Disney Gift Card in that amount, writing "TIPS" on it in sharpie and then using that solely for tips on our trip. Will I make myself crazy having a separate gift card for tipping or will it make life easier? I don't use credit cards (ever) and I don't like using my check card on vacation because I lose track of spending too easily.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #167
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandLMommy28 View Post
I looked up the cost of all of our meals and figured out what our tip would be at each place, based on two adults, one child and one free child and added up the total tips for our week.

I'm thinking about getting a Disney Gift Card in that amount, writing "TIPS" on it in sharpie and then using that solely for tips on our trip. Will I make myself crazy having a separate gift card for tipping or will it make life easier? I don't use credit cards (ever) and I don't like using my check card on vacation because I lose track of spending too easily.
I'm actually planning to do the same thing. I think it should work out just fine.
mnmhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #168
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandLMommy28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhouston View Post
I'm actually planning to do the same thing. I think it should work out just fine.
As long as you know what cards you are using for which purpose, it won't be a problem at all. It's better than carrying separate envelopes of cash around for tips. I can see that working very well. All you would need to do is remember to have the card with you and remember when you pay to explain clearly to the server how you wish the bill and tips to be charged.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #169
Dr. M
DIS Veteran

We are on the DxDDP staying at Coronado Springs. I heard something about a 10% tip for Pepper Market eventhough it is a counter service. I did a search and found that some on the dining plan were not charged the tip, and some paid the tip. Which is it?
March 2014 DCL Wonder 5 night Caribbean, May 2015 DCL Fantasy 7 night Caribbean

Last edited by Dr. M; 08-04-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Dr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #170
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
We are on the DxDDP staying at Coronado Springs. I heard something about a 10% tip for Pepper Market eventhough it is a counter service. I did a search and found that some on the dining plan were not charged the tip, and some paid the tip. Which is it?
There seems to be inconsistency with this. I would just expect to pay the 10% just in case. The general consensus is that if you want to completely avoid this, ask for your meal to go and you can take it and eat it oustide.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #171
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

Reminder- personal tipping habits discussion is not allowed. Sorry!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #172
pezheadmeg
feminsit turned fashion student

Tip Question

If I put food money onto a gift card--can I also run the tip at a TS on a gift card?

With less than 2 weeks to go, I just budgeted out the money for my ADR's including tips. Now this is a non-DP trip, so everything is being paid for OOP.
I can easily set the cash out for each. But the gift card would be a lot easier, 3 of us are sharing a room, so we're trying to avoid room charges when it comes to food.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #173
OnlyDisney
DIS Veteran

Question Using gift card for tips

I read through the whole thread! I still have a question though. We're a family of 4 on the dinning plan but we won't have charging privileges on our room card. I'll be using a gift card for all our tips/shopping at Disney. When we receive our bill do I put our room card and gift card in the folder together? Will the waiter understand that the gift card is to be used for tips?
Oct 25-Nov 7, 2015 - Fort Wilderness Family Trip
OnlyDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #174
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDisney View Post
I read through the whole thread! I still have a question though. We're a family of 4 on the dinning plan but we won't have charging privileges on our room card. I'll be using a gift card for all our tips/shopping at Disney. When we receive our bill do I put our room card and gift card in the folder together? Will the waiter understand that the gift card is to be used for tips?
Just tell your waiter that you want the tip amount put on your gift card and also be sure they know the amount.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #175
agrundel
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I learned a great deal!
agrundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #176
ngvenice
Disney Addicted!

if im on the dining plan but lets say i order an alcoholic beverage, when they bring me my bill, i will hand them my key card for the dining and my credit card for the extras. then do they bring it back to you to sign it or do you automatically do that when they first bring you your bill. oh and can i pay for the extras on my credit card but the leave cash for the tip.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #177
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
There are reports that there are now signs up in the Pepper Market stating that the 10% is not included in the dining plan.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #178
stefadam
Earning My Ears

DDP and Tips

Haven't used the plan before so looking for some help. From what I've seen they don't show you prices on your receipt if you use your credits so how do know what to tip if less then a party of 8??
stefadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #179
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefadam View Post
Haven't used the plan before so looking for some help. From what I've seen they don't show you prices on your receipt if you use your credits so how do know what to tip if less then a party of 8??
You will still get a bill with the total cost or what it would have been anyways. That's what you base the gratuities on..

minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #180
dizziedupbaby0127
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefadam View Post
When you are done with your meal, your server will bring u a check. It looks just like a normal check for any resturant, each item priced out, total and tax. Below that is the tip spot with 2 lines that say: Suggested tips amounts 18
% and what 18% would be, and 20% and what 20% would be. You fill out the tip (if you want to use a card) and give them your KTTWC telling them you want to use your dining plan. (sometimes they ask before the meal, but I have ALWAYS recieved an itemized check) they will bring u back a check with the dining plan items $0.00 out. and the tip amounts listed.

Proving the Critics Wrong: Taking our 18 month old to WDW for 10 Days!

DH Me DD
dizziedupbaby0127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: