Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Nope. It is still all about good to me and mine.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
MelissathePooh
Disney Regular

I am more and more disappointed with dining each trip. The DDP has definitely had a negative impact, IMHO. Of course I also remember when food was an afterthought at Disney before all the resorts and various restaurants were available. MK CS used to be HORRIBLE when I was a kid! The special sauce they used at Pinocchios - yikes!

While Eeyore frets and Piglet hesitates and Rabbit calculates and Owl pontificates, Pooh just is.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Things change because the market will bear it. Disney has always been out to make a buck. They're a business - the first goal is to turn a profit. I don't understand why people are so surprised when they figure that out.
lol, now you are messing with people!

I agree. It is a business. As a business, I love the product, and will continue to spend my cash there.

For all of the "downhill" stuff, think of all the new stuff that was never a factor or available before. There was nothing like the BBB or Pirate League. No Photopass. New strollers (is anyone else old enough to remember the old ones?). More fireworks shows. Things just change.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Pirates4me
Mouseketeer

Going Downhill

I would say that some of the CM's don't seem as warm and inviting. Still friendly but not like they used to be.

Also it seems like the parks aren't as clean as they used to be. I am a people watcher and I was always amazed how a place with so many people could be so clean. It used to be if something was thrown on the ground someone out of nowhere would appear and pick it up.

CS restaurants aren't as clean as they used to be also.

House cleaning has declined as well.
DIS Dad's Club Member #502

DW ME DD DS

"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way" Jimmy Buffett

DVC Member since 2005 Saratoga Springs
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

I think much of what the OP has said is true but all companies look to make more money.

One of the main things I have noticed, is that while WDW is basically clean, years gone past the restrooms/park/hotel rooms were kept cleaner. Also, I think since the dining plan, the TS food quality has decreased.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape View Post
Disney needs to get rid of free dining and their problems with people complaining about food decline will be solved.
Just wanted to sy Hi to another Snape fan.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I don't agree at all. It's not surprising that some of the costs (ticket prices, food) go up every year, given inflation and the economy. I think they do a pretty darn good job, given all that they offer. Where else in the world can you go to experience such a huge number of activities in once place?

To me, it's similar to the airline fare dilemma --- we all want extremely inexpensive airline tickets, but when they cut prices that much, other things end up suffering (like having to have people pay to check a bag). You can't have it both ways!

And some of the other things that you list (like behavior of the Brazillian groups) -- what do you think WDW is supposed to do about it? Not let them in to the parks? No one likes rude people, but they're part of life. I would address individual incidents (like noise in hotels in the middle of the night) with WDW staff and try to tolerate the rest.

I love WDW! Not to be a cliche, but I do think it's one of the most magical, happy places I've ever been. A friend and I were talking about how clean it is; she went to Universal, and was disappointed with the "non-Disney" feel of the place (grubby restrooms, overflowing trash cans). Plus it's more expensive than WDW.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #23
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates4me View Post
I would say that some of the CM's don't seem as warm and inviting. Still friendly but not like they used to be.

Also it seems like the parks aren't as clean as they used to be. I am a people watcher and I was always amazed how a place with so many people could be so clean. It used to be if something was thrown on the ground someone out of nowhere would appear and pick it up.

CS restaurants aren't as clean as they used to be also.

House cleaning has declined as well.
I think we were writing about the same time. See my post below yours!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

<<<<< keeps going back year after year
Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #25
PCFriar80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
I think we were writing about the same time. See my post below yours!
I'm not here to agree or disagree, but when you look at Disney as a whole they have done a lot in the past few years. For those who travel by air, you have the option of using Magical Express for each visit. I don't know about anyone else, but that has saved me some money over the years. RAC at the resorts, again for those who travel by air is a nice convenience. Year of a million dreams was a great promotion that touched many, myself included! Who doesn't like to get something for free! The GAD promotion this year was a huge success! Yes, we can focus on the quality of food for what we pay or guests that may make our visits not so enjoyable, but I believe that Disney strives to do their best for the hundreds of thousands that visit each day and yes there will be some flaws in execution. I'll see you there for F&W on 10/15!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #26
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

I agree with the OP on this one. Disney trys to squeeze you for every last cent.Yeah they need to make money,but don't gouge.Disney world is a very profitable business!What drives the most crazy is to hear people on here defend alot of these ridiculous price increases.I often wonder if these same people defended the oil companies when gas was over $4.00 a gallon and BP and others had record profits? Hey after all they need to make a profit too!I personally think disney needs a little more in the way of business ethics and integrity.I don't hold alot of hope for it though,seeing the new housing development going up for the mega wealthy right on disney property. I think disney has slipped alot recently and hope someone in upper management soon rights the ship!!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

This comes up year after year

I've been planning trips for my own family since 2004, and visiting WDW since 1996. This comes up EVERY single time I'm planning a trip via the Disboards! People say the exact same things. This thread could match word for word with one that I read in 2004! (I used a different user name back then)

That said, I think that people who are repeat visitors have a special challenge in that they come to know the place so well, it does lose some of its shine. Personally, our family would NEVER notice the lack of prime rib at a restaurant. Someone who goes frequently is likely to notice changes more easily.

The thing to remember is that change isn't always bad. We are creatures of habit and if our first trip(s) are very magical, we want to replicate them. Trust me, we were so tempted to plan our second trip exactly the way we planned our first. Fortunately, we decided against it. It made for an even more magical trip the second time around, because the element of discovery was still there.

So a few tips for those who worry about this issue...Don't try to repeat your last trip! Have a few special traditions, but don't stay in the same place, eat at the same restaurants, etc.

This next trip, we are staying at AKV. We've stayed at VWL and FW. Last time we camped in tents at FW for 11 nights in December! A far cry from our comfy VWL stay. But it was wonderful and special and different and that made it great. We're excited about staying at a new place this time, trying out rides we have never tried, and eating at restaurants we haven't visited yet. While the quality of our trip remains to be seen, we have taken steps to be sure we won't suffer from Disney burn out.

Also, I have to say, Dining plan, dining, plan, dining plan. If I had to pay the bill for each individual meal, I would probably complain about food quality too. Chef Mickey's was not a great meal, but we had a blast. If I had actually paid three figures for that meal, I would have walked out angry. We use the dining plan and pretend we're on an all-inclusive vacation. Cali Grill costs the same as Chef Mickey's. It's a good way to take your mind off of what you're spending.

So maybe some things are in decline. I love the holiday lights at Epcot, but they may be replaced by something else this year. They were old. Perhaps they were at a point where they either needed to be repaired or retired. (I've read that the technology for the lights was old and plans are to replace/update.) Looking forward to seeing what there is this year.

As long as I can still imagine I'm flying in a pirate ship over London, or dodging a cannon in the Carribbean, or zipping through outerspace, or pretending I'm in Mexico in 1970...I'll have a magical time.

As for prices going up, think about it this way. The last time I went to WDW in Dec. 2007, bananas were .33 a lb. Now they are .50 or more per lb. I still eat bananas, and until they get to be $2 a lb, I'll likely still eat bananas. It's inflation, and it is a miserable fact of our economy. But the cost of a stroller does not, in my view, indicate a decline in quality.

Pixie dust to all!

VP
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #28
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Parr View Post
I've been planning trips for my own family since 2004, and visiting WDW since 1996. This comes up EVERY single time I'm planning a trip via the Disboards! People say the exact same things. This thread could match word for word with one that I read in 2004! (I used a different user name back then)

The thing to remember is that change isn't always bad. We are creatures of habit and if our first trip(s) are very magical, we want to replicate them. Trust me, we were so tempted to plan our second trip exactly the way we planned our first. Fortunately, we decided against it. It made for an even more magical trip the second time around, because the element of discovery was still there.

So a few tips for those who worry about this issue...Don't try to repeat your last trip! Have a few special traditions, but don't stay in the same place, eat at the same restaurants, etc.

Also, I have to say, Dining plan, dining, plan, dining plan. If I had to pay the bill for each individual meal, I would probably complain about food quality too. Chef Mickey's was not a great meal, but we had a blast. If I had actually paid three figures for that meal, I would have walked out angry. We use the dining plan and pretend we're on an all-inclusive vacation. Cali Grill costs the same as Chef Mickey's. It's a good way to take your mind off of what you're spending.

So maybe some things are in decline. I love the holiday lights at Epcot, but they may be replaced by something else this year. They were old. Perhaps they were at a point where they either needed to be repaired or retired. (I've read that the technology for the lights was old and plans are to replace/update.) Looking forward to seeing what there is this year.

As for prices going up, think about it this way. The last time I went to WDW in Dec. 2007, bananas were .33 a lb. Now they are .50 or more per lb. I still eat bananas, and until they get to be $2 a lb, I'll likely still eat bananas. It's inflation, and it is a miserable fact of our economy. But the cost of a stroller does not, in my view, indicate a decline in quality.

Pixie dust to all!

VP
So your saying as long as the food is cheap it's ok that it's crummy? Sorry, that's the one argument I hear alot that I'm not buying. bad food is bad food and even when I did the ddp I expect hot halfway decent food.

You're absolutely right in that us "old" timers are most likely to notice. that's natural. I don't compare Disney to other parks mainly because Disney set the standard of quality entertainment. I compare them to the standard they themselves set.

So I voice my displeasure with my dollars, I no longer buy the souveniers when before I always picked up stuff for the kids in my family. We rarely eat at a ts restaurant preferring to either eat of site or in our villa. If I'm going to get Ihop quality food, I'll simply head out to the Ihop outside of DTD and pay alot less.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #29
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

Also, gas has gone up from around $1.78 a gallon to $2.78 or so per gallon since 2005. Disney provides free transportation from the airport and around the resorts. I'm sure gas increases have had a tremendous impact. I would MUCH rather pay more for a stroller or have prime rib removed from the menu or have ticket prices go up a bit than have them eliminate Magical Express, which actually STARTED in 2005.

Consider that. Disney now offers free transportation to and from the airport. Wouldn't you consider that an INCREASE in quality?

One of the things that just cracked me up in 2007 was someone complaining that a certain restaurant no longer had Mickey shaped butter pats. Now, those special touches are lovely, but really? Butter pats? Again, someone at that time pointed out that while butter pats were gone, Disney added Magical Express. Yes, ME is a business strategy designed to get you to stay onsite and never leave. I know that. But it is an excellent service, so I feel Disney and I have a mutually beneficial relationship.

VP
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #30
nytimez
Nihilist

I'd say quality has slipped. But I don't think it's gone downhill.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: