Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #166
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.
 
disneyfav4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 14,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
It isn't a matter of anyone "getting mad" but rather folks simply choosing to avoid restaurants which are unwilling to serve vegetarians without prejudice. I was reading an article yesterday that outlined how increasingly the vegetarian in a dining party exerts veto power over restaurant choices where the restaurant won't adequately comply with the tenets of vegetarianism. "I can't eat anything there" trumps "I like that place more than that other place." So the restaurants that adequately serve their vegetarian patrons wins.
That's true, even before I gave up most meat, I had a very close vegetarian friend, and whenever we went out it was to a few select restaurants where she'd have a variety of options.
__________________
disneyfav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #167
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer
 
Vegcentric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
That's true, even before I gave up most meat, I had a very close vegetarian friend, and whenever we went out it was to a few select restaurants where she'd have a variety of options.
Yep. Assuming you have good friends and family who want you to be able to eat something, most of the time it means finding a suitable restaurant. What I get extremely annoyed about - and this has happened at Disney before - is doing all the work before the vacation to ensure that you aren't stepping on anyone's toes. I mean, I've e-mailed restaurants and did the paperwork for the dietary request and was told it would be sent to the chefs before we got there to let them know we were coming.
The annoying bit comes into play when I'd get to those restaurants, and no one was aware at all that we were coming, despite the work I did weeks in advance. And then the chefs still become put out...even though I tried my best. I've heard from a lot of people though that the dietary hotline is very, very hit or miss.
__________________
August 2011 - Pop Century Resort
October 2010 - Saratoga Springs Resort
November 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #168
roxiepenguin
Earning My Ears
 
roxiepenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 57

sheesh

I'm only into pg 6 of this WONDERFULLY helpful thread! TY for all of the work and sharing info/stories. I've really been wondering if it was 'worth the hassle' of doing the special dietary request thing for the ADRs we've made, so all of this help!
roxiepenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #169
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long
 
MelanieC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiepenguin View Post
I'm only into pg 6 of this WONDERFULLY helpful thread! TY for all of the work and sharing info/stories. I've really been wondering if it was 'worth the hassle' of doing the special dietary request thing for the ADRs we've made, so all of this help!
Glad this is helping. For the most part, I've been extremely satisfied with Disney's special dietary help.
__________________
Melanie-
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/8/14-8/23/14 -14 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #170
VeganCupcake
Almost an Expert
 
VeganCupcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Palm Springs, Fl - about 2.5 hours away from The Most Magical Place On Earth!
Posts: 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoChef View Post
Hi, I'm a Chef that works in a hotel. A lot of posts here are wondering why cooks and chefs get "put off" by vegan requests. Short answer, vegan meals mean more work. When working on a kitchen line you go on autopilot, you have all your prep in front of you (from the established menu) and a vegan meal means stopping what you're doing, going to the walk in, prepping the vegan meal and making the new meal. In this time the cook or chef could have gotten 20 "regular menu" meals done in the time it takes to do one vegan meal.

Also, we cook for the "majority" and the majority likes rice cooked with chicken stock, refried beans cooked with lard and sweet dressings made with honey. I will try to help you with you food needs but getting mad that I cook rice with chicken stock is not going to make me change my recipes.
Can you tell us which of the refried beans are cooked with lard please? Also,before I am allowed to make any dining reservation I have to check off that I agree to their guest policies-this being one of them-

All Walt Disney World Resort table-service restaurants that accept reservations offer balanced menu choices and can accommodate lifestyle dining options (such as no sugar added, low-fat, low-sodium, vegetarian or vegan). Please advise a Cast Member of your request at the time you place your order and he or she will be happy to assist. For dinner shows, 24-hour notice is required for any lifestyle menu request. Our quick-service locations also offer balanced menu choices and can accommodate most lifestyle dining options.

This being said, I don't think it fair or very "Disney" for a chef to make anyone with a special diet feel like they are a burden. I never feel like I should have a problem finding something to eat. If its in Disney's policies, then the chef's should be more than happy to abide by them. Ohana doesn't have a vegan breakfast listed on their menu, yet the chef who helped me when I went was more than happy to make their standard vegan breakfast dish for me. They keep the ingredients on hand for this one vegan dish there so it eliminates problems and there is always an easy option for them to make. It was awesome too!
__________________
MEDHDS:yay

Last edited by VeganCupcake; 07-31-2010 at 08:52 AM.
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #171
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"
 
Laura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Animal Kingdom Lodge (I wish)!
Posts: 11,613

WDW wants us all to eat on-site. This means that they HAVE to expect many guests to have certain food issues that they must accommodate.

I've read many vegetarian/vegan guest reviews of Disney restaurants. Sometimes a chef is grumpy and is obviously "put out" about doing a special dish. But also, sometimes they're happy to do something creative and get off the line making the same ol' same ol' every night like a robot.
__________________
Me DH DD
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #172
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer
 
Vegcentric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Can you tell us which of the refried beans are cooked with lard please? Also,before I am allowed to make any dining reservation I have to check off that I agree to their guest policies-this being one of them-

All Walt Disney World Resort table-service restaurants that accept reservations offer balanced menu choices and can accommodate lifestyle dining options (such as no sugar added, low-fat, low-sodium, vegetarian or vegan). Please advise a Cast Member of your request at the time you place your order and he or she will be happy to assist. For dinner shows, 24-hour notice is required for any lifestyle menu request. Our quick-service locations also offer balanced menu choices and can accommodate most lifestyle dining options.

This being said, I don't think it fair or very "Disney" for a chef to make anyone with a special diet feel like they are a burden. I never feel like I should have a problem finding something to eat. If its in Disney's policies, then the chef's should be more than happy to abide by them. Ohana doesn't have a vegan breakfast listed on their menu, yet the chef who helped me when I went was more than happy to make their standard vegan breakfast dish for me. They keep the ingredients on hand for this one vegan dish there so it eliminates problems and there is always an easy option for them to make. It was awesome too!
Aaah yes, the policy. I've seen this too, and it made me feel a lot better when I made reservations. Plus, since we don't do rental cars while we're down there we are pretty much stuck on Disney property anyways...we don't get cabs to go out into the city or anything like that. So we stay put on property and eat Disney food.
When we're at home, we don't go into a restaurant and just expect them to meet our dietary restrictions. When we eat out, we eat at the restaurants we know are going to take care of us. Down in Disney, we aren't going to change our dining ethics and habits just because we're on vacation. So it's great that for the most part, Disney is very accommodating to vegetarians and vegans. I've seen a lot of things on the menu that can at least be made vegan with a little bit of effort.
Though that policy is in place, I've still run into problems like I have mentioned before. That's why this time around, I'm doing even more homework before I go and planning on visiting the restaurants where vegans have had the most luck (like Jiko, Sanaa, etc.). I definitely understand that preparing a vegan meal is a lot more work, but like vegancupcake pointed out, it's in the Disney policy that they can do meals for those customers...though I guess it's doesn't say in the policy, "We'll do it with a smile and be really enthusiastic to help you!"...that all comes down to the chef and their personality, and what kind of day they're having, I guess.
__________________
August 2011 - Pop Century Resort
October 2010 - Saratoga Springs Resort
November 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #173
MangoChef
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18

[del

Last edited by MangoChef; 07-31-2010 at 10:02 PM.
MangoChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #174
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling
 
Pumbaa_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 8,554
DISboards Moderator

This thread seems to be getting off track.

This is a Disney Dining board and dining in Disney.
thanks for staying on topic
__________________
Jody ºOº
Co-Moderator Restaurant Board
Pumbaa_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #175
VeganCupcake
Almost an Expert
 
VeganCupcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Palm Springs, Fl - about 2.5 hours away from The Most Magical Place On Earth!
Posts: 617

Just wondering if anyone had found out about the popcorn being vegan at WDW???? Also to be clear- I need to ask for a tapioca bun when getting veggie burgers?
__________________
MEDHDS:yay
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #176
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer
 
UncleOrville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tomorrowland
Posts: 492

Vegcentric, I just read your review of the California Grill and have to say I'm glad that I decided to switch the ADR I had made there to Citricos. My sister is vegan with food allergies (so chefs are sometimes really put out by her!) and it just puts a damper on the whole dining experience when chefs/ servers just seem annoyed.

I'm still debating the ADRs at signature restaurants that we've made - we currently have Citricos, the Flying Fish, and the Yachtsman Steakhouse ( I know) - and going through past and present reviews is really helpful! Thanks again!
__________________
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!
UncleOrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #177
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer
 
Vegcentric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOrville View Post
Vegcentric, I just read your review of the California Grill and have to say I'm glad that I decided to switch the ADR I had made there to Citricos. My sister is vegan with food allergies (so chefs are sometimes really put out by her!) and it just puts a damper on the whole dining experience when chefs/ servers just seem annoyed.

I'm still debating the ADRs at signature restaurants that we've made - we currently have Citricos, the Flying Fish, and the Yachtsman Steakhouse ( I know) - and going through past and present reviews is really helpful! Thanks again!
Glad you found it helpful! I currently have an ADR for Citrico's party for the atmosphere and partly because of the vegetarian entree they have on the menu. It's seared tofu with lentils and some ratatouille of sorts. It sounded vegan, though I am not 100% sure.
__________________
August 2011 - Pop Century Resort
October 2010 - Saratoga Springs Resort
November 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #178
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer
 
UncleOrville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tomorrowland
Posts: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegcentric View Post
Glad you found it helpful! I currently have an ADR for Citrico's party for the atmosphere and partly because of the vegetarian entree they have on the menu. It's seared tofu with lentils and some ratatouille of sorts. It sounded vegan, though I am not 100% sure.
We're in the same boat! We tried California Grill a few years ago (no vegans at the time), but have never done Citrico's and we'd like to experience the restaurant atmosphere and also think the vegetarian entree sounds good and like it could be made vegan more easily than any of the CA Grill options.
__________________
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!
UncleOrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #179
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer
 
Vegcentric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOrville View Post
We're in the same boat! We tried California Grill a few years ago (no vegans at the time), but have never done Citrico's and we'd like to experience the restaurant atmosphere and also think the vegetarian entree sounds good and like it could be made vegan more easily than any of the CA Grill options.
I know other vegans have had luck there with the vegan unplugged dishes, but I just didn't think they were very filling! So my plan for this year, since we're going to Cali Grill with my sister and her fiance, is to eat a bit before hand and then maybe just have some sushi and a cocktail.
__________________
August 2011 - Pop Century Resort
October 2010 - Saratoga Springs Resort
November 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #180
Plasticletters
Ride a Bike
 
Plasticletters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiepenguin View Post
I'm only into pg 6 of this WONDERFULLY helpful thread! TY for all of the work and sharing info/stories. I've really been wondering if it was 'worth the hassle' of doing the special dietary request thing for the ADRs we've made, so all of this help!
I'm glad the thread has been helpful to you
__________________
Tower of vegan deliciousness (Dining Review)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2270539



DL AP Holder (2012/2013)
WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter - Aug 2009 (26 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite @ family's house- Jan 2009 (26 years old)
WDW - All Star Music - March 2008 (25 years old)
WDW - Subpar Offsite Hotel - March 2004 (21 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - May 2000 (17 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Filthy Offsite Hotel - May 1998 (15 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Wet Offsite Hotel - Summer 1995 (12 years old)
WDW - Rad Offsite Villa - Summer 1987 (4 years old)
WDW- Fuzzy Memories of an Offsite Hotel - Summer 1984 (not quite 2 years old)
Plasticletters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: