Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Question Horse Owners: A place for us on the Dis

Hi! My name is Ruthie and I know some of you here on the Dis through our love of both Disney and our horses. So I found myself as a person that always loved horses but never had a horse asking basic questions. Some of us thought a thread would be great, maybe even a forum within the boards...today I was taught how to change the title of this thread from asking my original question to making it our place. Hope I did it right

here we go !

Maxine is 5 yrs old (Quarterhorse/Arabian) healthy always has fresh water, a salt block and a mineral block. She's not under saddle so its not like she is being over exerted in the heat. She's turned out 24/7 on our property. She can & does get into the shade (and has been known to stand over the a/c unit) Is there anything else I can do to make her comfortable? I see her sweating and today I feel like she's breathing a little faster/harder than I normally see but not in a struggling kind of way (hope that makes sense). Am I being an overprotective Mom? I've seen a cool vest you can buy for a horse anyone have any take on these? Is it necessary and do they even work? I go out periodically and sponge her down and she seems to be happy about it.

TIA,

Ruthie

a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:UPDATED JULY 13http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Last edited by Luvchefmic; 08-07-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: change title
Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Sounds like you are doing everything right. What I do when it is really hot is either make a mash of her grain or make her a pony popsicle. I just add a scoop of grain and a scoop of hay stretcher pellets and add water until it becomes a very soupy mash...I also add a little bit of apple juice or gaterade. for the mash I feed as is for the pop I freeze.. its a great way of getting some extra water in them!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

We have a box fan in the stall.

You can also clip to help with cooling during the summer.

ETA: coth is a great website for horse info! (coth = chronicles of the horse).
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
Sounds like you are doing everything right. What I do when it is really hot is either make a mash of her grain or make her a pony popsicle. I just add a scoop of grain and a scoop of hay stretcher pellets and add water until it becomes a very soupy mash...I also add a little bit of apple juice or gaterade. for the mash I feed as is for the pop I freeze.. its a great way of getting some extra water in them!
Really Gatorade or apple juice ? I would never have thought....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
We have a box fan in the stall. You can also clip to help with cooling during the summer.
ETA: coth is a great website for horse info! (coth = chronicles of the horse).
she has no stall, she has protection/shade but nothing to clip a fan on

Thank you both...& for the web site I thought I knew them all that one I never heard of

a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:UPDATED JULY 13http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
luvdzny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
she has no stall, she has protection/shade but nothing to clip a fan on
I may be wrong, but I think that dis-happy meant that you could clip the horse to keep her cool!

luvdzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdzny View Post
I may be wrong, but I think that dis-happy meant that you could clip the horse to keep her cool!
I read it as also clip in addition to a fan in the stall BUT I have never clipped a horse in my life and that's not an option for me...poor thing would end up looking like a poodle or something

Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdzny View Post
Yep.

COTH is the DISboards for horses, at least according to my dd, the rider and horse girl in our family. Plus, there are hilarious postings in there sometimes. If you're ever bored, do a search there on keeping gold fish in your water trough.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

As long as she has shade, fresh water, and good ventilation she'll be fine. She shouldn't need to be clipped at all - in the summer she should have a pretty short coat.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
wildernesslodgelover
LOTW charter member!
Of course if they *did* start serving alcohol at MK, I would be first in line, but it doesn't rent space in my head or anything

I am so happy to learn of this "Coth" board. I can't wait to check it out! Thanks!

Hi Luv! Still gotta meet at Chef Mickeys soon...remember, have my cocktail waiting for me. LOL.

I have two mini horses. One in particular (the littlest one, Boo) does sweat and seems to pant a lot. There is a nice big shade tree he stands under most of the time. He also has a stall attached to his paddock, and I never stall them, I just leave the door open and he can go in and out at will. I do have a fan in the stall. I turn it on every morning with the morning feed...and turn it off every night with the evening feed. I NEVER SEE HIM IN THERE! Drives me nuts! I purposely feed them in their stalls, and also, when I give them treats, I make them come into their stalls...I keep hoping the will figure out, "Hmmm, it is cooler in here...let's hang out in here!" but they never do!

In the late afternoon, I turn them out into a bigger pasture in my front area. There is no shelter there, and only a little shade that doesn't show up until the sun starts to fall in the afternoon, so that's why I never put them out there mid day. I also hose them down at that time. Of course they always ROLL and they look like little pigs out there!

Anyway, I feel bad for horses in the heat, I really do. Mostly for horses that are from somewhere else, which might sound silly. My neighbor just purchased a very expensive, gorgeous horse from the mountains of New Mexico. I think he is very uncomfortable. My horses only know Florida heat, and one in particular I got from a guy who kept him in a pen with NO SHADE at all.

Good luck!
trying to stay at every resort at least once! only AS, CBR, Poly and GF left!
wildernesslodgelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

If she seems to be stressed with the heat, you can always hose her off with cool water. Also, you can add electrolytes to her feed in the hot weather.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Add electrolytes to her feed to encourage drinking, and be sure the water she has available hasn't become hot and unpalatable. As BBallmom said, a hose down followed by a vigours scraping can help, or you can try a brace such as bigeloil and water or make your own with rubbing alcohol and water.

I have horses who live out 24/7 and those who are stalled (in during day with fans on and turned out at night in the pasture). They all do well. My black horse wears a fly sheet to protect him from sun/uv damage and flys and it seems to keep him cooler.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
If she seems to be stressed with the heat, you can always hose her off with cool water. Also, you can add electrolytes to her feed in the hot weather.
hosing is ok as long as you make sure use a sweat scrapper blade to get all the water off of her. If not the water will get under the hair and hold in the heat actually making them hotter.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

I want to thank you all..so please don't think I'm ignoring anyone, I'd be quoting everyone.....any thoughts or experience with that horse "cooling vest" I asked about ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernesslodgelover View Post
I am so happy to learn of this "Coth" board. I can't wait to check it out! Thanks!

Hi Luv! Still gotta meet at Chef Mickeys soon...remember, have my cocktail waiting for me. LOL.
I have two mini horses. One in particular (the littlest one, Boo) does sweat and seems to pant a lot. There is a nice big shade tree he stands under most of the time. He also has a stall attached to his paddock, and I never stall them, I just leave the door open and he can go in and out at will. I do have a fan in the stall. I turn it on every morning with the morning feed...and turn it off every night with the evening feed. I NEVER SEE HIM IN THERE! Drives me nuts! I purposely feed them in their stalls, and also, when I give them treats, I make them come into their stalls...I keep hoping the will figure out, "Hmmm, it is cooler in here...let's hang out in here!" but they never do!

In the late afternoon, I turn them out into a bigger pasture in my front area. There is no shelter there, and only a little shade that doesn't show up until the sun starts to fall in the afternoon, so that's why I never put them out there mid day. I also hose them down at that time. Of course they always ROLL and they look like little pigs out there!

Anyway, I feel bad for horses in the heat, I really do. Mostly for horses that are from somewhere else, which might sound silly. My neighbor just purchased a very expensive, gorgeous horse from the mountains of New Mexico. I think he is very uncomfortable. My horses only know Florida heat, and one in particular I got from a guy who kept him in a pen with NO SHADE at all.

Good luck!
Of course I remember and we MUST !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Add electrolytes to her feed to encourage drinking, and be sure the water she has available hasn't become hot and unpalatable. As BBallmom said, a hose down followed by a vigours scraping can help, or you can try a brace such as bigeloil and water or make your own with rubbing alcohol and water.
I have horses who live out 24/7 and those who are stalled (in during day with fans on and turned out at night in the pasture). They all do well. My black horse wears a fly sheet to protect him from sun/uv damage and flys and it seems to keep him cooler.
I remember last year I had asked about my concern with mosquitos and you responded right away so I thank you again. This year with a few cases of EEE here in FL and 2 horses and 2 people that died I had the county inspectors come out. The water that runs (but isn't moving) through our property is a swamp. They shot some chemicals in there & will be doing helicopter spraying to stay on top of it. As far as what you said (and I bolded) I have NO idea what that is.

Quote:
hosing is ok as long as you make sure use a sweat scrapper blade to get all the water off of her. If not the water will get under the hair and hold in the heat actually making them hotter.
You are the second one to mention the sweat scrapper and now I feel like a *******, I have obviously been making the problem worst..I have a LOT to learn, I LOVE my fellow Dissers

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I forgot to add that as it is routine when we hose horses. It just is part of the whole procedure yet I forgot that some may not realize that.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I'm sorry, I should have explained...

Linament is a liquid product (or occassionally a gel) that is used to cool off hot areas or to soothe tired muscles. You can buy a premade one like Bigeloil (pronounced beagle-oil), or make your own by mixing rubbing alcohol into a bucket of water. Then grab a sponge and sponge bathe the horse over the hot sweaty areas, being sure to pay attention to the chest, loins, and between the back legs. The evaporation of the alcohol will cool the horse.

Anytime you hose down a horse you have to use a sweat scraper to scrape ALL the excess water off. Otherwise the extra water saturates the hair coat, gets heated by the horses own body heat, which makes it like wearing a hot weat blanket.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: