Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #46
ChiSoxKeith
DIS Veteran

I'll be interested to hear what the board says as I'm in the market for a tripod too.
You would think the 60+ minutes I put into running the weekly photo contests would allow me to put a link in my signature letting people know about the Disney related iPhone projects I work on. You would be wrong.
ChiSoxKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #47
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I use a Cullmann Magic 2 and it extends to 5'7". Its a very compact model and works very well for travel.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #48
saturndb
I'm Dave and I approved this Post.

I also use the Cullmann tripod, it works well and is lightweight

See my FLICKR photos

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Del Griffith

My Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D, Canon D30 IR, , Casio Exilm, Canon 70-200 2.8 L, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 28-70 F2.8 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon EF 2X II Extender, BlackRapid, Canon 500D Lens, Cullman Tripod, Gitzo Tripod, gorrillapod and Canon Speedlite 270EX, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, (2) YONGNUO YN-462 CANON FLASH, Zeikos Flash, many back up batteries and memory cards.

saturndb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #49
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

I use a BENRO Travel Angel TRAB069 it folds to about 13" and weighs 2.6lbs. With the center column extended it will go up to 54.3" and with it down it is 47.8" tall. I was able to find a barely used (came in the original box. one on amazon for $175. It will not get over peoples head, but it is great for traveling. It even comes in a travel bag with shoulder strap. The ball head is surprising nice, i fully expected it to be a piece of junk like an old sunpak ballhead I have on another tripod.

Benro also has a youtube video on the Tripods.

As Mosca recently pointed out in another thread, Best Tripod To Buy?...
Quote:
Rules of Tripods:

1) Every photographer has 3 tripods. First, the cheapest one s/he could find; next, the most expensive one s/he could find at Best Buy; third, the one s/he should have bought in the first place.

2) Light. Sturdy. Cheap. Pick two.
You just need to find the right balance of cost vs. features.

Last edited by ssanders79; 07-31-2010 at 08:23 AM.
ssanders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #50
Docarino
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanders79 View Post
I use a [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VSQ24?ie=UTF8&tag=scogsan-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=******&creative ASIN=B0027VSQ24"]

As Mosca recently pointed out in another thread, Best Tripod To Buy?...

You just need to find the right balance of cost vs. features.
Absolutely, I agree. I have my eye on a couple and I'm willing to pay more to get what I want, but I am trying to get a sense of where I need to land on the line between compact and tall so that I still can get the pictures I want. On the model that you mentioned, do you find that to be tall enough to get fireworks pictures?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #51
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

http://www.adorama.com/VNLUXIL.htm

I bought this one earlier this year to bring on our trip to Disneyland.

I had the same issues you did. I wanted something a little taller for photographing Wishes. But I wanted something fairly light for travel. This one folds up really small and comes in a nice shoulder bag. Its maximum height is 63.4". It weighs 2.9 lbs.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #52
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

Nope, it was not tall enough to get over the heads. However, I was late to the show because I had a great spot for the parade, but all the good spots were taken for the fireworks. It would have been just fine if I had extra time to pick out a good/decent spot. In fact i was in a horrible spot where trees were blocking most of the show.

Bottom line, it would have worked out just fine had I had the time to stake claim on a better vantage point.

ssanders79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photography, poly, wishes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: