Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
raykay23
Mouseketeer

Is Pirates League worth it?

I think thats what it is called- the boy version of the BBB??
I have booked it for both of us on the day DS5 and I go to MNSSHP.
Is it any good?
raykay23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
McKelly
DIS Veteran

MyDS8 enjoyed it, as did his friend. We had some great cast members who really made the experience fun for them though, not all of them were as "enthusiastic", I guess we got lucky.

My son got the full face make-up with the black around the eyes, just as a warning, he looked like he had black eyes for a week afterwards!! That make-up was hard to get off, especially on vacation when you can't try different things from home........maybe you should bring some make-up remover. We just used soap and water.
McKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Eeyore18
Mouseketeer

It's an experience as well as a makeup session. My 5 year old daughter did it in July and LOVED it! Better than BBB. They give you a pirate name-take an oath, secret room, etc. The CM were great! I'm surprised it's not that advertised-but well worth it.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
daisyyy
MOUSKETEERNow THAT sounds like a plan!.... send in the ferrets!

Yes, Yes.... It is really worth every penny. On our last trip, we wanted to do something special for each of the kids... the little guy got his 1st haircut, and my DD celebrated her birthday... but for my middle son, I chose the Pirate League, I hadn't really heard much about it, since it was relatively new on our last vacation.. but it was sooooo cool. we actually brought our own pirate costume from home that we had gotten at the disney store , and that was fine. they said we could bring our own, or he didn't need one at all. but he loved transforming into the cursed pirate. They start by picking the face he wanted, and then changed into his costume, then he rolled the dice in the treasure chest to get his pirate name. then came the tatoo... (which they also gave to my little guy too) (he was too young for the whole experience). They started the make-up, and did the pirate oath... next came the secret room, and treasure hunt. pictures... and then signing the pirate book. I might have missed something.. but overall it was amazing, and the whole place is just unique in decor, and the costumes of the CMs.. plus they get in character, and stay in character. It's a lot of fun. I understand they have different packages now. but they got a lot of stuff, like teeth, a sword, belt, earring, medal, bandanna, picture, certificate. It was priceless for all of the fun, and pictures we had for the rest of the day. worth every cent.

No DISNEYticker at the moment

daisyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

My daughter wants to do this on our trip in August. Do you really have to make a reservation or will we have luck just walking up. I'd rather not have to make a ressie since we will be hopping around all week.
mnmhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Absolutely!

Pirates League was awesome! DS4, DW, and DH did it. Jack Sparrow and his 1st mate were outside sword fighting and singing drunken sea chantys... Inside, we were transformed into pirates as we joined Capt. Jack's crew, got new pirate names, scars, and all kinds of neat stuff.

WARNING: They have costumes for children but not much for adults. The gift shop next door has pirate t-shirts for adults and some bandanas, fake earrings and things like that. We brought our own pirate costumes from home for the halloween party when we did pirates league and let DS4 pick his costume there. I can post pictures later if you want.
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhouston View Post
My daughter wants to do this on our trip in August. Do you really have to make a reservation or will we have luck just walking up. I'd rather not have to make a ressie since we will be hopping around all week.
Also, how long is the session? Suitable for DD2 (since she will want whatever her sister has?)
mnmhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
daisyyy
MOUSKETEERNow THAT sounds like a plan!.... send in the ferrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhouston View Post
Also, how long is the session? Suitable for DD2 (since she will want whatever her sister has?)
I think the time varies slightly... I'd say the makeup part took about 1/2 hour. Of course my DS got the cursed pirate which seemed a little more detailed, the whole thing was about 40 to 45 minutes.. I didn't booked it for my younger son though because I think I recall reading it was from ages 4+up, but, you can always ask.

as far as reservations go, we had reservations, but they were also taking walk ins at that time. Not sure if it's gotten more popular and therefore harder to get in, or maybe it also depends on the time of year/ time of day you go. we went in Sept, and it was a 10 am appointment.

No DISNEYticker at the moment

daisyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
mcdon22
Earning My Ears

So glad to see this - I think we're going to sign up our 3 pirates for next March!
mcdon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
krd315
Mouseketeer

do they have costumes for the girls too? any information on the cost?
krd315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krd315 View Post
do they have costumes for the girls too? any information on the cost?
We paid a package price of about $50 for adults and $125 for DS that included full costume, several photos, makeup, and accessories. The $50 for adults was everything but the costume and it included 1 photo instead of 3. But that was right before Halloween. The prices dropped a lot after Halloween.
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
PrinceCharmingsMom
DIS Veteran

The package being offered now is 29.95 no matter what face painting you choose. Costumes and photos are extra however if you purchase the first photo with souvenir frame you can get the rest of the photos added to your photopass card for no extra charge. There was a really great thread floating around with all the info on it and pictures. Found the link http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post37641846

Last edited by PrinceCharmingsMom; 08-02-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: found the thread
PrinceCharmingsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
budbeerlady
I call DH The STREAK!!
Sorry honey, no world series tonight, Poo Watch 2006 is going on!

Dd got the pirate empress costume last fall. She LOVED it! Its much more of an experience than BBB. You get your pirate name, made over, learn to sword fight and get pirate loot!
Nov 2013 1st Disney Run * Oct 2012 Dream'n Again * Oct 2011 Dd Birthday Cruise* Dec 2010 its all family! *August 2009 ASMu * Nov. 2008 Girls Trip POP * Aug 2008 CBR * Oct. 2007 POP for DD Birthday Trip * Dec. 2006 AKL * Dec. 2005 POFQ for 1st Family Trip* http://stretchingittotravel.wordpress.com/

budbeerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
wrighter
DIS Veteran

For any girls who may want to save some $ and bring their own pirate costume, they do offer pink bandanas and such with the package. Just FYI.

And I agree with all the PPs who say it is totally worth it. My DS6 LOVED it! And I second the notion of bringing some sort of makeup remover - especially if you get the cursed pirate. :-)
April 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas-----October 2014 Boardwalk Villas-----April 2015 Magic 7-Day Western Caribbean-----2015 Family Reunion at WDW?
wrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
jasmom
Mouseketeer

unscented baby wipes will take off most make-up

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: