Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #121
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutter99 View Post
Very cool, I still have 40 or 50 posters from my theater manager days (hard to believe ones like Days of Thunder are 20 years old now), I keep wanting to take them out and go through them but don't want to risk damaging them just to put them away again because I don't have a place to put them up.
Really interesting, only in America kind of story about my family. My grandfather was a Hungarian immigrant from a family of farmers. He immigrated to the U.S. in the 1920s. Among his many jobs was a poster distributor to movie houses in NYC. The posters he could not place in a theatre were supposed to be thrown out. Instead, he boxed them up and kept them. When my Dad got involved, the store was in NYC near a lot of movie companies and other poster distributors. My Dad told them that he would take the stuff they didn't want and were throwing out. Seriously, I'm talking about 100s of brand new posters from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. Movie collectibles did not really explode until the '80s when many people got wise. Before then, only a few people realized what the stuff was worth and the studios were just throwing it out. I remember one convention, my Dad bought 100 original Empire Strikes Back posters (half-sheets - 22x28) for $1 each in their original packing. They are a couple hundred dollars each now. Now, everything is controlled a lot more, especially the Disney stuff, and the studios realize the money they can make from it.

ClearScreen
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #122
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
My unofficial studio (Cinematic Recording Arts Productions) with a staff of one was asked to make a video for our church. We've had a problem getting people to sign up to help with the nursery, so I made this short ad to recruit some more volunteers. See if this would inspire you to sign up and help out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09Z7xw5Z24
Very nice!

At our church's vacation bible school last month, the kids were playing dodge ball one day when I decided to jump in. I used to pitch and can still throw pretty hard. Totally smoked a kid. Not my proudest moment. Only hit him in the arm, and he was unhurt- just surprised.

On a happier note, since my wife was the VBS director this year and probably will be again next year we have some sway as to what the theme will be. I was thinking, "hmmm, theme. Disney has theme parks. Maybe I can connect the two". And then it hit me. "World Showcase" would be a great theme where we could highlight Paul's missionary journey. So that's what we're doing! Now if I can just figure out how to sneak some hidden Mickey's in to the decorations...
DIS Dad #400
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #123
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Nobody at work was excited about this, so I'll try you guys.

My patience was rewarded!!
I've been checking Travelocity daily for months and today the fare from Richmond to Orlando dropped by $50. Not only that, but it dropped below the magic $150 level which means my miles rewards with Capital One will pick up one of the tickets. So instead of paying nearly $800 to get to the mouse in December, it's going to cost us just $418. Woohoo! Maybe I'll make more ADR's!!
DIS Dad #400
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #124
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post

I've been checking Travelocity daily for months and today the fare from Richmond to Orlando dropped by $50. Not only that, but it dropped below the magic $150 level which means my miles rewards with Capital One will pick up one of the tickets. So instead of paying nearly $800 to get to the mouse in December, it's going to cost us just $418. Woohoo! Maybe I'll make more ADR's!!

Great news, I am glad you finally found a cheap flight. I am still waiting for a room only discount but I feel it coming!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #125
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Hey guys, you moved!!!

I go to sleep last night and was on page 254. I get on tonight and DDCIV is closed and there are 9 pages in DDCV.

Fortunately there wasn't a whole lot said over 25 pages or so. (Thanks Freezin'Rafiki for counting for me).

BTW love the MIL jokes. You guys keeeel me.

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (6)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #126
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Barbosa View Post
A list of movies I swear to show my boys when they are old enough so they have a clue what I've been quoting all these years and will not be social outcasts among their peers.

In no particular order (feel free to add more)

Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Better off Dead
Caddy Shack
Pulp Fiction (I edit most of those when I say them)
Ferris Bueller Day Off
48 hrs
Weird Science
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Airplane
Uncle Buck
Addams Family Values
Tommy Boy
The GodFather Movies
Dumb and Dumber
Happy Gilmore
Spinal Tap
History of the World
Animal House
Good Fellas
Lord of the Rings
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
Beuller?....Beuller?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearScreen View Post
Nice list.

I would definitely add Goodfellas as one of the all-time must see "guy" movies. Two more "guy" movies I still quote: Stripes and the Blues Brothers.

ClearScreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
I like your thinking. Here’s a couple other’s ideas that you kids may not have seen (particularly the uncut version that would really be required to get the full impact of the references)

The Princess Bride
All Monty Python (movies, series, live performances...)
Yellowbeard (some of the same Python folks)
Major League (just to here Bob Uecker doing the play by play if for no other reason)

And a couple of other Guy Movies that get quoted down this way...
The Shawshank Redemption
Full Metal Jacket
Raising Arizona
Quote:
I see you're a Mel Brooks fan.

Christmas Vacation
Naked Gun
And the most obvious omission of all, Fletch. And for some reason, I've been quoting Clue lately.
A few more additions:
Ghostbusters
Say Anything
Spaceballs
St. Elmo's Fire
From the Hip
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #127
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

crud...
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,7)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #128
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Hey Disney Commando, I followed the link at the beginning of this thread to the post where you listed your Mustang stable. Awesome! I'm a Stang guy as well and my Dad has an original owner 1972 Mach 1, bright yellow with black accents! Unfortunately his is a 2 barrel and no ram air. It's in pretty rough shape right now but I hope to get it restored some day soon(if I can stop spending so much money at Disney )

I'm a ragtop man, had a '85 LX 5.0 vert many years ago, went through almost a couple decades of sensible cars (did my time in the minivan!) and now have an '08 GT500 vert. Trying to talk my wife into a new 5.0 but she's just not into cars
Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #129
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
geezzz i hope i didnt miss anything the last 30 pages of disdad1v!!!! congrats to fed for getting the last word, being married im sure it dont happen often. TUTTER, just becareful any place fed sends you fishing, ruff water ahead!!! i hear it gets a bit ruff on some of those fishing spots that you could fall out of the boat!
We're not going to leave that one alone are we?

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 AM   #130
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
We're not going to leave that one alone are we?
not my fault, your buddy is the one that tossed you under the bus. or shall i say in the water.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #131
MiJo
DIS member since 1999 and DIS DADS CLUB Member #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Barbosa View Post
A list of movies I swear to show my boys when they are old enough so they have a clue what I've been quoting all these years and will not be social outcasts among their peers.

In no particular order (feel free to add more)

Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Better off Dead
Caddy Shack
Pulp Fiction (I edit most of those when I say them)
Ferris Bueller Day Off
48 hrs
Weird Science
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Airplane
Uncle Buck
Addams Family Values
Tommy Boy
The GodFather Movies
Dumb and Dumber
Happy Gilmore
Spinal Tap
History of the World
Animal House
Good Fellas
Lord of the Rings
Glad to see GoofyIs added the Princess Bride!
I would add Kelly's Heroes and Short Circuit, two of my favorites!
And, any Marx Bros. movies, of course.

My brother and I are putting in a new patio door here at my house today. I hope it goes well.
DIS Dads' Club Member #335 DisDads Facebook Group Member
Disneyland 1971; Off site 6/90; Dixie Landings (POR) (Alligator Bayou) 9/99; Coronado Springs (The Ranchos) and Portofino Bay (USF) 12/00; AKL, 2002; POFQ, 2003; POR, 2005 (Acadian House); POR, 2007 SeaWorld, 2007; POFQ, 2009.

Last edited by MiJo; 07-28-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #132
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:

I'm excited for you - that's awesome!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #133
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:

"I love it when a plan comes together"

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #134
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
not my fault, your buddy is the one that tossed you under the bus. or shall i say in the water.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

This is my old boat...from a "few years ago"....Angler's Paradise Fish Camp (sadly no longer operational) on the Saint John's River (yeah, the same one you cross on I 4 from I 95 heading into Orlando) in Welaka, FL.

It's January....and yes, it's very very very very cold.

Water temp: 41

Air tem: 34, with wind chills in the 20s.

Let's just say that, because of where I "dove in" (), there were lots and lots and lots of witnesses....and only one camera...

Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #135
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

This is the sticker that my buddy (who owns a sign shop) made for me the next tournament....I have one on my new boat as well.....

MLSC: Mike Lake Swim Club.

Of which I'm the Founder, President and CEO.

It's open to any and all boaters who decided they didn't need to stay dry and "dove into" the water.....usually applied to Fisherman who become "human fish finders", but anyone is welcome---

If you intend to go overboard, it doesn't count

Many, many more have joined our ranks...

Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: