Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #31
mylittlebuttercup
DIS Veteran

My only things I would HAVE to do are Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster. Toy Story Mania is a close third. I have never done the drawing lesson, but I really want check it out this time, along with Fantasmic, which I haven't seen in ten years. I also love Muppets, but that was on your skip list :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
I'm sure this is on here somewhere, but I'm looking for tips and strategies for Hollywood Studios!

We (me, DH, DD9 and DD7) will be visiting WDW in October, and this will be our 2nd family trip there. This time around we will not be adding Park Hopper to our tickets, so we're planning on just one day at Hollywood Studios. Since we've been to the park before (back in 2007), there are a few attractions we know we can skip:

Beauty & the Beast Live on Stage
Studio Backlot Tour
Playhouse Disney Live on Stage
MuppetVision 3D

(nothing wrong with these, but as we're limited to one day and we've already seen these, I feel we can skip them and focus on other things!)

Should we hit Toy Story Mania first? Get FPs for ToT or the RnRC?

If you just had one day to visit HS, what would YOU do?

thanks!
mylittlebuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #32
joyfulDisneytears
DIS Veteran

Must-do for me at DHS (I *still* have a hard time remembering not to call it MGM...):

-A meal at 50's Prime Time Cafe, or Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre
-The Great Movie Ride
-Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
-Tower of Terror (ride as many times as I can!)
-Star Tours (but it's closing soon)
-Muppet*Vision 3D
-Toy Story Mania (get your FPs first thing, don't wanna miss out!)
-One Man's Dream exhibit/movie (more of a grown-up thing here, I'm not sure how well this would hold a kid's attention)
-Fantasmic!

I would suggest taking in at least one show (my picks would be Voyage of the Little Mermaid or Beauty & the Beast). After all, the stage productions are one of the great things about WDW!

If you're there all day you won't have any issues doing just about everything there is to do here!
joyfulDisneytears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #33
mylittlebuttercup
DIS Veteran

Oh, can't believe I forgot Great Movie ride--I have to hit that too!
mylittlebuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
lisadonahoo
Earning My Ears

Tower of Terror and Toy Story!
lisadonahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #35
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdisney View Post

If we only had one day, we would go at rope drop and then:

Go immediately to TSM. Unlike the get FP first theory, we would get in standby line first and then FP when we got off. This would give us a later FP time which is what we want.

Then to to Tot and RnRC which will have little to no line because everyone else will be trying to ride TSM as many times as they can in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
Be there for EMH and get there early. Everyone you see there WILL go STRAIGHT to Toy Story Mania. A CM will guide everyone to TSM so there won't be no running involved. Just a nice stroll to the attraction.

Do not FP first...get on the ride first and THEN FP. This is a lesson I learned during a VERY RARE June trip. Since you will be there all day due to your MYW tickets, it doesn't really matter what time your FP's are for as long as you get them.

Don't be discouraged if there are alot of people in front of you as the ride line goes by pretty quickly. You should be in queue no more than 20 minutes if you got caught in the middle of the crowd. If there's no crowd at the entrance gate during EMH and/or if you're at the back of the huge crowd, then the wait time will be significant. If this is the case, then FP first and then make your way to the attraction. EMH at DHS is great if you FP TSM and then do all other attractions first. There will be little to no lines at all other rides.

Thanks for the tip about getting the FPs after riding... sounds like a great plan!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #36
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlebuttercup View Post
My only things I would HAVE to do are Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster. Toy Story Mania is a close third. I have never done the drawing lesson, but I really want check it out this time, along with Fantasmic, which I haven't seen in ten years. I also love Muppets, but that was on your skip list :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlebuttercup View Post
Oh, can't believe I forgot Great Movie ride--I have to hit that too!
Toy Story Mania, ToT and RnR are my "must" list... I think I'd be pretty happy with just these three, LOL!

We skipped the GMR our last trip (2007)... I think I thought it would have been too scary for our DDs, who were only 6 and 4 at the time. But it's definitely on the list for this trip!
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #37
mattyg
Mouseketeer

you have to get to TSM and either get a FP or stand by I say do both if you DD's love TS. If you dont you will spend on hour in line. MY two ages in sign loved doing the Art of Animation. You can skip the show about drawing and the line to wait and go in through the gift shop you have to wait for session to draw a char with animator but inside they have char greets and mine games to do plus lots of AC. We have drawn about 7 char. and my DS wanted to go back one last time over riding anything and he loves RnR and TSM. MY list is TSM, RnR, ToT, LMA show, AofA, GMR. You could have one get FP and the others get in line, but you run the risk of being rude. I dont think it is a problem.

DISNEY DAD CLUB MEMBER 490

One day I will stay at WDW for a whole month, one day!
mattyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #38
SnowWhite1
Earning My Ears

I'm quite interested in all these bits of advice as we've never hit Hollywood Studios before either. Everyone keeps mentioned ToT - do you think it's ok for younger kids? Mine are 4 and 6 and I was thinking they were too little to go on it, but is that not so?

TIA!

November 2010 Polynesian
April 1987 High School Band Trip
February 1983 First visit
SnowWhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #39
mill4023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite1 View Post
I'm quite interested in all these bits of advice as we've never hit Hollywood Studios before either. Everyone keeps mentioned ToT - do you think it's ok for younger kids? Mine are 4 and 6 and I was thinking they were too little to go on it, but is that not so?

TIA!
4 is too young. 6 is borderline, depending on the kid.

Our kids all enjoy Indy. Its a fun show.
September, 2007 - Pop Century
June, 2011 - Indian Creek Villa

Fun family games for a road trip

The 9 best iPhone apps for a road trip
mill4023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #40
stepdisney
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I instantly turned into "one of those moms"
I think I'm going to start looking for ways to fit jive into my daily vocabulary

Quote:

TIA!
4 was not too young for my DS who was 4 when he rode it the first time. There is a "chicken" elevator if he changes his mind. If the child is interested and is tall enough, take them is what I say. Believe it or not, he was more afraid of the HM than ToT. Show them videos of it on youtube, perhaps this will give you a good idea of whether or not they are interested. With an older brother, my DS was ready, willing and able.

June 2000 1st trip off site~Oct. 2005 POP~ Aug/Sept. 2007 WL~Aug/Sept. 2008 AKL ~Aug/Sept. 2009 Kidani Village~Aug/Sept. 2010WL/Grand Gathering~ Aug. 2011 YC Aug. 2012 YC CL~Aug. 2014 AKL
stepdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #41
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

I would be there are RD, FP TSM and ride it standby, immediately go to RnR ride and then to ToT and ride. If I could get another FP by then I prob would for RnR. Then we would figure out which shows we want to see and scheudle them in. Probably LMA, VOTLMM, and B&the Beast. We would see VOTLMM first, then catch the first B&the Beast show, head to the first LMA show (usually 1pm). Then we would see Muppet Vision 3D (it's not to be missed in my book) and Star Tours (if open). Then we would have lunch at 50's prime time and chill for a while. Then ride GMR, then head to find some charecters. After that we would use our TSM FP secured at RD and then our RnR FP and then leave the park for the day.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #42
SnowWhite1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdisney View Post
4 was not too young for my DS who was 4 when he rode it the first time. There is a "chicken" elevator if he changes his mind. If the child is interested and is tall enough, take them is what I say. Believe it or not, he was more afraid of the HM than ToT. Show them videos of it on youtube, perhaps this will give you a good idea of whether or not they are interested. With an older brother, my DS was ready, willing and able.
Thanks. I'm guessing both mine might be too chicken, but we'll see when it's closer to the time. My youngest one might still be too short too, so then there won't be any question.

I'm SO bummed that Star Tours will be closed when we are there. My kids LOVE Star Wars and were looking forward to that. I guess it means we'll have to go again!

November 2010 Polynesian
April 1987 High School Band Trip
February 1983 First visit
SnowWhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #43
rob4059
Wishing My Way Back

you should have no problem with one day. the biggest challenge is showtimes. get a schedule of shows as you go thru the gate. head straight for tsm for either a ride or a fastpass. (you know that it closes on august 16 right?) Then head for sunset blvd and the tot and rr. Once those three are done, you're set. Everything else is a breeze.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #44
DenverDave
Mouseketeer

Citizens of Hollywood!

No one has mentioned one of the best, yet least known, attractions at DHS - the Citizens of Hollywood street performers. If you have a sense of humor, taking in one or more performances by the COH is a must - they are really funny and worth your time.

They appear on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards from about 10am to 6pm daily. Performance times vary somewhat, but they appear on the hour or half hour and alternate with the High School Musical shows. If the HSM is ending, the COH will be along in just a few minutes. The COH normally will have 2-3 performances going on at the same time, so you'll have to choose who to go with. COH shows last about 25 minutes typically. If you have any questions about the daily schedule, just ask any Citizen.

If you don't have a sense of humor, keep on walking, but for everyone else seeing the Citizens of Hollywood is a must do during any DHS day. Take my word for it!
DenverDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #45
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

TIA!

My oldest daughter was 6 when we took our 1st trip to WDW... I was able to talk her into riding ToT with me only once. She wouldn't do it again! My youngest daughter was 4 at the time and she was too small to ride... DH does not like any "free fall" type of ride, so he stayed with her.
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: