Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Charity and the Monster Lives!

Tax time! Yes, the time where you realize you make a good amount of money donated to your government. For some of us, it is our bank account to pay off cool things. In our case, we had enough to pay off the cruise and the hotels. With such good news, they only things we still need to prepare for is airfare, car rentals, and spending cash.

Time off from work was something I wasn't too concerned about. I had talked to my boss' boss about the time needed off, and felt fairly secure in taking a 2 personal days,1 floater, a week, and the other floater to get all the time off. Except the more I thought about this, it was sorta just stupid. What if the kid got sick in the winter. Our vacation year begins in June and ends in May of the following year. This could be a big risk as anymore time off for "legit reasons", I could be penalized for. To compound the problem, I still have to get all the time off through bidding by seniority.In addition, we have new rules for time off other than vacation time. I have 10 years in the company, so I figured I was ok with the cruise. The rest of the time was bugging me. This process would take about 3 weeks to conclude.

The first group round went with out a hitch. I was able to bid out my summer and cruise vacations with no problem. The second round takes place and there was a odd opportunity. The week prior was available. 14 days off. I have never done that before and would prefer to spread my time off. After looking at was left and then talking over with the "better half", it was decided that taking the Oct 23-Nov7 would be a killer option.

Now, March it would soon be time for the release of Southwest schedule for Oct. During this time, I began to share my plans with my parents. My mom suggested that Disney is quite expensive to stay. Maybe that I should think about staying somewhere else. I REALLY wanted to stay at CBR. It looked like a pretty nice place to just stroll. My mom then said, "what if we offer our condo?" I asked her what the cost would actually be to me. She told me I think it would cost $0 for a 1 bedroom at Bonnet Creek.

Those that want to save a buck are like :take the deal! Those that love Disney are like: I don't know about that. I talked it over with my more down to earth women of mine. We would take the deal. My wife brought out a point: we could always go to the resorts on WDW property for pics and stuff. So we booked the front end of the trip Wens and Thursday for Bonnet Creek. This was on a Tuesday.

Four days later

I was standing in my basement in about 1/2inch of water next to my water heater. What turned out to be a under the basement problem, began to put to much pressure on my aging water heater. We thought we had a year left on it. We were wrong. I knew this would be a huge setback in our trip. We would have no more wiggle room for the rest of the year in the budget as this would take anywhere from 800+ out of us. Fortunately, a buddy had a friend who does water heaters. I was able to get one in my house for a little less than $600. What a relief!

During this week, Southwest released their prices for airfare. The first day came out a little higher than I wanted but in the budget. If the prices ($79 each person one way) can stay that way till Friday, I' ll buy. Friday comes.... $109!!! This would basically take us up over our budget by at least 100+. The budget was going to be tight as it was. I drive for a living. I don't want to drive a 15-18 hour trip. So what does a person do?

To my wife, "hey hun, we are going to drive to Florida."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: