Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Dicecatt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000 View Post
Wow, there is so much to read about...can't wait to dive into it all.

A few more questions:

1) When does DCL start celebrating Christmas/The Holidays? Are there dates that it begins and ends, and do they do anything special for the Holidays on the ship besides just decoration?

2) Does anything special happen if you go on the cruise that sets sail on New Years?

3) Where did you go on your cruise (as in destination, such as Europe, Bahamas, etc).

4) I just read that a new Disney ship, the Dream, is set to sail next year. Is this supposed to be above and beyond the current ships? Wondering, because we were thinking of planning a December, 2010 trip.

5) Between The Wonder and The Magic, does one have an advantage over the other?

Thanks again, everyone.
1: Decorations are awesome during December...and I've cruises early December (first weekend)...they decorate early.
2: I would imagine that New Years Eve on a Disney ship would be quite fun, just think, fireworks at sea on New Years Eve!
3: I've done several Bahamas, with the kids, and an 11 day Europ with just my husband.
4: The Dream will be super cool, no doubt. But don't delay if you are thinking of December this year...you'll want to book another one...make the second one on the Dream
5: No. They are nearly identical, with only minor differences.
Dicecatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
PacMan3000
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing your trip experiences!!
PacMan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
PacMan3000
Mouseketeer

Hi guys--wanted to give a little update and ask more questions.

It looks like we might be going on the cruise in early February, and then staying in Flordia for a week to do Disney and Universal. So here are my questions...

1) Has anyone cruised in February? Good time to go? Has anyone been to WDW in Feb within the past few years? How's the weather?

2) Has anyone done a Disney Cruise, and then stayed in FL to do the theme parks for a few days?

3) We are thinking of booking the Disney Dream in February, which I know is the brand new ship. Should I be concerned that I'll be on a brand new ship that doesn't have a lot of sailing experience? We have someone in our party who's a little leery because the ship is a youngin'.

4) Are there websites you'd recommend that offer nice deals on Disney cruises?

5) Anyone know if Princess Tiana is now incorporated at both WDW and the Disney Cruise Lines?

6) In looking at the Disney Dream, it seems that even the most basic room comes with a porthole/window as standard. Is this true or did I read it wrong?

7) We are thinking of doing a 3 night Bahamas cruise (it would be our first Disney Cruise) and then staying at WDW for a week. In your opinion, is a 3 night cruise too short to be enjoyable? Will we feel rushed?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

We're cruising on Dream in early Feb. (2/6/11). Last year we cruised on Magic in February, but don't have time for a seven-night cruise this year, since we always tack on a WDW stay!

As others have said, it's addictive. Please be careful or you'll be hooked forever!

1. Our Feb. cruise last year had some unusual weather, so we just won't talk about that. It was very cool and rainy, and we had a wonderful time!

2. I would never go back home the day I leave the ship. We always stay at least two or three days at WDW afterwards. It's the perfect ending to a vacation.

3. I (obviously) would have no hesitation sailing on a new ship. DCL has lots of cruise experience. This ship will be just awesome, and will still be new and fresh when I board her!

4. I use Dreams Unlimited Travel -- http//www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com . Shop around and see who suits you best.

5. She was on our February 2010 cruise, but I don't know if she's still there. We didn't go to the parks on that trip, so I can't answer the second part! We just stayed at our resort (Pop Century) and did all the fun stuff that we never get to do, like resort-hopping and shopping, and an awful lot of eating.

6. The inside rooms have "virtual portholes". Not a real window, but, as I understand it, a real-time view from cameras mounted outside the ship, with occasional visits by surprise guests. We will have a verandah on this cruise.

7. I think a three-night cruise is way too short. You don't board until around noon on the first day, and you have to be off no later than 9 AM on the last day. That really gives you only two full days on board. I think a four-night cruise is good, and, of course a seven-night cruise is even better!

Good luck making your choice. It's a tough decision, but whatever DCL cruise you select will be more fun than you can imagine.

Beth
Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #20
disneyfool_1202
The countdown has begun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
We were lucky enough to be on the maiden voyage of the disney Magic back in '98 and were hooked.
We were also on the maiden voyage of the Magic and it was before DH and I were married- we walked off that ship saying "if we ever get married, this is where we are taking our honeymoon" and in 2001 we took our 2nd DCL cruise (yes, our honeymoon).

Our last cruise was our 1st with kids - and it was magical in a whole other way. All 3 cruises there was so much to see and do - whether it was just some adult time without kids, or family time with them.

Our next cruise will be a 5night on the Dream - and I'm already worried we aren't going to have enough time to experience it all!!

DisneyFool
Denise
disneyfool_1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Hi guys--wanted to give a little update and ask more questions.

It looks like we might be going on the cruise in early February, and then staying in Flordia for a week to do Disney and Universal. So here are my questions...

1) Has anyone cruised in February? Good time to go? Has anyone been to WDW in Feb within the past few years? How's the weather?

Feb is a great time for WDW weatherwise. My first trips there were all in January and I loved it. Can be coolish once the sun goes down.

2) Has anyone done a Disney Cruise, and then stayed in FL to do the theme parks for a few days?

Both before and/or after and some trips just to shop and be at Downtown Disney if we aren't doing the parks.

3) We are thinking of booking the Disney Dream in February, which I know is the brand new ship. Should I be concerned that I'll be on a brand new ship that doesn't have a lot of sailing experience? We have someone in our party who's a little leery because the ship is a youngin'.

She'll actually be 'floated out' sometime in October (I believe) for sea trials. She will be capitaned by DCL's lead capatin, Captain Tom, so no worries in that department. (Rumor has it Captain Henry...my favorite...will take over the Dream when Captain Tom goes back to Germany to oversee the building of the Fantasy)

4) Are there websites you'd recommend that offer nice deals on Disney cruises?

The only way you can get anything less expensive than booking directly with DCL is if a travel agency has booked a block of rooms and can offer you one of theirs at their original rate, after the DCL prices may have increased. I'd recommend playing on the DCL website and looking at different Feb dates and room catagories. If you want to go with a travel agent, get one that specializes in DISNEY. Dreams Unlimited, a DISboard sponsor is highly recommended and there are a couple others also.

Now, different TAs will offer you perks from them, like an on board credit (OBC) for you to spend on the ship, or gifts to your stateroom, so you could shop around for your 'perks'.

5) Anyone know if Princess Tiana is now incorporated at both WDW and the Disney Cruise Lines?

Yes, she is!

6) In looking at the Disney Dream, it seems that even the most basic room comes with a porthole/window as standard. Is this true or did I read it wrong?

There are inside cabins, but not a lot of them, and possibly already booked up for any Feb cruises you may be considering. (Catagory 10 and 11 staterooms)

7) We are thinking of doing a 3 night Bahamas cruise (it would be our first Disney Cruise) and then staying at WDW for a week. In your opinion, is a 3 night cruise too short to be enjoyable? Will we feel rushed?

Yes, you will.....go for four days! The sea day makes all the difference in your cruise experience.

Thanks!

That's my input!
Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks!
Most of your questions have already been answered. I too just want to say that I believe 3 nights is way too short! We think 4 nights is too short.

We've been on 4 DCL cruises (33 nights total) and still haven't done everything that we want to do.

Our family loves WDW, but enjoys cruising even more.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfool_1202 View Post
We were also on the maiden voyage of the Magic and it was before DH and I were married- we walked off that ship saying "if we ever get married, this is where we are taking our honeymoon" and in 2001 we took our 2nd DCL cruise (yes, our honeymoon).

Our last cruise was our 1st with kids - and it was magical in a whole other way. All 3 cruises there was so much to see and do - whether it was just some adult time without kids, or family time with them.

Our next cruise will be a 5night on the Dream - and I'm already worried we aren't going to have enough time to experience it all!!
So you know how addicting it can be!!! We are also on the MV of the Dream and I know what you mean about not having enough time to explore the new ship...that is why I booked the cruise following the MV to make it a B2B...I need at least 8 days to experience it all!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #24
PacMan3000
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone--thanks so much for your input.

I recognize that 3 nights is short, but it seems that an extra day is roughly an additional $600. And we are also doing WDW after, so we figure for a first trip, 3 nights is OK to get our feet wet and see if we like DCL.

But one more thing just to be clear--one the site, it says that "dining" is included in the price. Does that mean that, when we eat inside the restaurants, they won't bring us a bill?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #25
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

Quote:

I recognize that 3 nights is short, but it seems that an extra day is roughly an additional $600. And we are also doing WDW after, so we figure for a first trip, 3 nights is OK to get our feet wet and see if we like DCL.

But one more thing just to be clear--one the site, it says that "dining" is included in the price. Does that mean that, when we eat inside the restaurants, they won't bring us a bill?
The cost of your food is included in the cost of the cruise. You will pay for alcohol and specility drinks like smoothies and special coffees. There is a drink station on deck 9 where you can get coke products, coffee, teas, and milk all included in the price of your cruise. If you want to try to visit the adult only resturant Palo it is 15 dollars extra per person. You are also expected to Tip your stateroom host, and three persons in your Dining room team. The total of all tip for these 4 Cast Members is under 13.00 perday per person. The service I have recieved has always made me feel that they deserved twice as much as was recommended. I have not always had the funds to tip as much as I felt I should however. Also any gifts your buy are extra. Bottled water is extra but Tap water is good to drink.

That extra day would give you time to really enjoy the ship. Use care in this first cruise as DCL is very addicting. I am set for my 8th and 9th this fall. 7 days is no longer enough time for me.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
ibouncetoo
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:

Correct! There are a few food related things that cost extra: booze (but you can carry on your own), specialty coffee from Cove Cafe, smoothies, some of the snacks sold outside the theater and some of the packaged snacks on the room service menu. All your meals (including lunch on Castaway Cay), anything from the poolside area (hot dogs, sandwiches, ice cream, wraps and panninis, pizza, burgers) all included. Sodas are free in the restaurants and there is a 24 hour self serve beverage station with soft drinks, tea, coffee, milk, juice, hot chocolate. If you order a soft drink at at a bar or from room service, there is a charge. Those items, along with adult beverages also have a 15% tip on the bill (so be careful not to double tip).

Speaking of tips, they are the one additional expense you should put into your budget!. DCL's 'recommended' amount comes to $12 per day for each person in the stateroom.

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

Old 07-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
joalexajeff
Earning My Ears

Eastern or Western Caribbean Cruise?

Our DD (13) wants to go on a cruise for her 8th grade graduation (June2011). It would be our first time cruising, and we definitely want to do a 7 day cruise. We are open to all suggestions for first timers and would appreciate any and all recommendations. DD checked out the Disney website and we are leaning toward Western. Any favorite land excursions? Also, she wants to bring a friend (whoa!), is that really necessary as she makes friends easily and it appears there are plenty of opportunities to meet new friends aboard ship! Thanks for any advice!!!!!
joalexajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
ibouncetoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joalexajeff View Post
Our DD (13) wants to go on a cruise for her 8th grade graduation (June2011). It would be our first time cruising, and we definitely want to do a 7 day cruise. We are open to all suggestions for first timers and would appreciate any and all recommendations. DD checked out the Disney website and we are leaning toward Western. Any favorite land excursions? Also, she wants to bring a friend (whoa!), is that really necessary as she makes friends easily and it appears there are plenty of opportunities to meet new friends aboard ship! Thanks for any advice!!!!!
Unfortunately there aren't any 7 Day Caribbean cruises in the summer of 2011. The Magic will be back in Europe from mid-May through mid-September. The Wonder will be doing Alaska cruises next summer though. You could do the Bahamas one the new Disney Dream, 3/4/5 day (or a combination thereof).

Old 07-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #29
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joalexajeff View Post

Well, it is more fun with a friend/cousin in your own group. Esp for doing excursions together, dining together, etc. We sailed with friends (ds is friends with their kids too) last Oct for our 3rd DCL cruise 7 nts, and it was great for kids to hang out together, get photos on formal night, and ds then 12 did an excursion with his friend and their family. Since both families brought their parents too we were seated with our families for dinner but 1 night all switched seats so adults at one table, kids at the other. Such a nice time for everyone.

If your daughter is an only child it's not that much more to add 1 more child. Once you reach a group of 5 it's a lot more unless you're sailing on the Dream. They finally offered staterooms that sleep 5 without having to get a verandah.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #30
PacMan3000
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone,

Thanks again to all. I have a few more questions--this time courtesy of the family:

1) Regarding the Disney Dream--anyone know if the porthole windows will be capable of being opened? Any rumors or statements made about this?

2) What decks would you recommend staying on? What decks should be avoided? Is one deck typically more noisy or quiet than the other?

3) We are staying for three nights for our first trip, and the difference between a room with a window and one with a veranda is about $150. For such a short trip, is a veranda in the room worth it? Or should we stick to the window and put that extra money towards something else? There will be three people in our party.

4) How much should we expect to pay out of pocket for specialty drinks--from a Margarita to a pina colada to a strawberry milkshake?

5) We are going on a Bahamas cruise. Once we hit either Nassau or Castaway Cay, do we have to pay a shuttle bus driver or cab driver to transport us from the ship to the city? Or is everything walkable once you exit the ship?

Is getting around the island easy without any type of transportation? Are there any trolley services that get you from place to place?

6) Are there opportunities to jet ski at either Nassu or Castaway Cay?

7) Do the Disney ships offer Wi-fi? And is it a free or paid service?

8) I'm a little unclear on whether or not I will need to bring a formal outfit for one of the more upscale dining halls. Can someone please clarify?

9) I know there are pools, but are there Jacuzzi's on the ship, too?

10) We are probably going to fly out to Orlando the day before our ship sets sail. Would you recommend us staying at a hotel near the airport, and then making the one-hour drive to the port the next morning? Or, are there hotels at Port Canaveral?

Also, does Disney offer any shuttle service from Orlando's MCO airport to Port Canaveral?

11) Are there any specific activities or tours that you would recommend we do at either Nassau or Castaway Cay?

Thanks again in advance!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: