Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

Train?

I am planning a trip with no car, I am from the UK. Excuse me if I come across as clueless.

Is there a train network that goes down the coast of San Francisco to LA? I recall that there is a train from San Diego, to LA but can't remember what it is called, does the same train go to the north?
wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
jlmarr
You got that right

Yes, Amtrak does offer service from SF to LA. Actually they have buses that pick up at various points around the city (e.g. Pier 39) and take you across the bay to Emeryville where you board the trains. The most direct route is the Coast Starlight, which takes all day - 8am to 9pm - to get to LA, but has some very scenic segments. Route guides and timestables here: http://www.amtrak.com

Just a couple of weeks ago I took the Pacific Surfliner from Goleta to Anaheim, and would highly recommend the views from the train overlooking the coastline from Santa Barbara to Ventura before it cuts inland. Be sure to get a seat on the right side of the southbound train for that. The Starlight runs the same route, but goes from Seattle to LA, while the Surfliner goes from San Luis Obispo (or Goleta) to San Diego.

Last edited by jlmarr; 07-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

It's really key that you book one that goes through San Louis Obismo and Santa Barbara. Just booking a ticket from SF to LA does not ensure that it will follow the coast or that it will be a train. Many segment are done by bus.

That is all done by Amtrak.

In LA there is also the Metrolink and in San Diego the Coaster. You can tranfer from one to the other to add flexibility to your schedule they use the same track.

Also I assume you are going to San Francisco as part of you trip. There is a local above/below ground light rail called BART. You can use this to get to a Amtrak Station or to and from the bay area airports.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
wideeyes
Does not do sea food

Thank you for your replies. They were very helpful
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
wideeyes
Does not do sea food

I have checked the routes and for my dates for the Coast Starlight it says a bus to Oakland first. Is that correct? The train seems to stop at Emeryville which seems nearer though by bus

Thank you for any help.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
jlmarr
You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideeyes View Post
I have checked the routes and for my dates for the Coast Starlight it says a bus to Oakland first. Is that correct? The train seems to stop at Emeryville which seems nearer though by bus
That seems right - looks like they drop off at the Oakland station for the southbound Starlight, and at Emeryville for the northbound. Sorry if I misled.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
wideeyes
Does not do sea food

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmarr View Post
That seems right - looks like they drop off at the Oakland station for the southbound Starlight, and at Emeryville for the northbound. Sorry if I misled.
Okay thanks, Think I have it figured out now.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideeyes View Post

Thank you for any help.
Yes there is no train service to San Fransisco. This is why I mention you can take a Bart train from SF to an Amtrak station. I think Jack London Square has a dual station. Maybe the Colloseum too. Otherwise you can take the Bart to the East bay and a cab several blocks.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

If you decide on the Coast Starlight, I would highly recommend booking a roomette in one of the sleeper cars. The Sleeper Car passengers have access to a special lounge car called the Pacific Parlour Car. We did a day trip from LA to San Jose but still booked a sleeper car room and it really made the trip amazing!!
It will cost quite a bit more than coach, but it does make it an experience, as opposed to just traveling from one place to another.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
stephv710
Earning My Ears

Just to add a comment about the sleeper car on the Coast Starlight; it includes all meals and wine tasting in the afternoon. For me it was well worth it.

Also, this train is NEVER on time, so don't schedule anything important on the other end!

I've done this trip many times from LA to Portland and I love it.
stephv710 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: