Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #76
CarolineInToronto
Earning My Ears

that makes more sense to me now... thanks bunches!

We figure that by reading over the menus with him ahead of time, we'll have a better idea of what meals we need to sub and/or if any of us would be happy with the kids meal offered LOL!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #77
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

One other option that you have is to upgrade your 9yo to 10. During free dining, the cost is only the difference between a child's ticket and an adult's ticket (that's only $35.15 for a 10 day ticket). This will give you adult credits for TS and CS meals so that he can choose whatever he wants to eat at all meals. This is allowed by Disney and often encouraged by CMs. Just tell the CM at CRO that you want your 9yo listed as 10 and that you'll gladly pay the difference for this change.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #78
CarolineInToronto
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
One other option that you have is to upgrade your 9yo to 10.
That's a brilliant idea... thanks so much!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #79
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
One other option that you have is to upgrade your 9yo to 10. During free dining, the cost is only the difference between a child's ticket and an adult's ticket (that's only $35.15 for a 10 day ticket). This will give you adult credits for TS and CS meals so that he can choose whatever he wants to eat at all meals. This is allowed by Disney and often encouraged by CMs. Just tell the CM at CRO that you want your 9yo listed as 10 and that you'll gladly pay the difference for this change.
That is an interesting idea. In our situation, we have a 4 and 5 year old. Now, they could never eat a whole adult meal, but our son is a big eater (beacuse he is always go go go) and once in a while can pack down a pretty hefty meal.
So this being said, plus the advantages of having more options, upgrading them could be a good idea.
So based on the $35.15 for 10 days, a 6 day visit would average about $21.09 then?
Also, can they still chose from the kids meal if they wanted to?
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
2008-Dec ASmo (started an addiction)
Honeystar120608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #80
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeystar120608 View Post
That is an interesting idea. In our situation, we have a 4 and 5 year old. Now, they could never eat a whole adult meal, but our son is a big eater (beacuse he is always go go go) and once in a while can pack down a pretty hefty meal.
So this being said, plus the advantages of having more options, upgrading them could be a good idea.
So based on the $35.15 for 10 days, a 6 day visit would average about $21.09 then?
Personally, at that age I would not upgrade them. Of if you do, only upgrade one child, not both. Your other alternative is to supplement any meals where your son is hungry either with a snack credit, OOP side order purchase, or some of your food. There is nothing stopping them from ordering off the kids menu on adult credits. It will still cost you an adult credit though so remember to take the proper beverage and dessert with you if you do this. Did you get free dining?
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #81
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Personally, at that age I would not upgrade them. Of if you do, only upgrade one child, not both. Your other alternative is to supplement any meals where your son is hungry either with a snack credit, OOP side order purchase, or some of your food. There is nothing stopping them from ordering off the kids menu on adult credits. It will still cost you an adult credit though so remember to take the proper beverage and dessert with you if you do this. Did you get free dining?
Yes, we did get free dining, which is why we are entertaining the idea. They will not eat it all, but it's for the options. I feel that they eat too many nuggets some times. Im not saying there aren't kids options, but while Im eating ribs, my kids are eating the same old same old... I will discuss it with them, ask them what they'd want off a menu, and go from there.
I get where you are coming from, it really isn't WORTH upgrading them at this age, but to have the options...again I will check with them on what they'd want. Another thing, desserts. Kids menu(again) doesn't offer much for options.
As for doing one and not the other. That's just asking for trouble.
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
Old 07-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #82
catne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Um, the ticket prices at Disney don't follow the "on average" form, because the major expense is loaded onto the front-end of the tickets (first 3 days are very expensive per day, then adding additional days is just a few $ per day.)

So, the diff between a child & adult on a 10 day ticket is about $35...the diff between a child and an adult 6 day ticket is about $33. It'd cost you about $66 to upgrade both kids to Disney adults. Keep in mind they'll then have your kids in the system that way, so should you choose at some point in the next couple of years to pay for the dining plan, you'd have to pay adult prices on the dining too...so you'd have to get them to "correct" the kids' ages should you want to only pay for the child's plan in the future. Can be done, just would require a correction by them.

That's magical Disney math, lol.

And yes, most places would still let them order the kids meals...but will charge the adult credit for them.

personally, having done the dining plan many, many times and being a mom of 4 grown kids (as well as having done child care for 20 years) I really could not see a 4 or 5 year old eating the adult dining plan meals...it's a LOT of food. Maybe the two would split an adult meal. Think instead of upgrading them to adults, I'd just use that same $66, or $10 a day, and use it to buy the occasional extra food item when the kids are hungry after finishing a meal.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #83
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Um, the ticket prices at Disney don't follow the "on average" form, because the major expense is loaded onto the front-end of the tickets (first 3 days are very expensive per day, then adding additional days is just a few $ per day.)

So, the diff between a child & adult on a 10 day ticket is about $35...the diff between a child and an adult 6 day ticket is about $33. It'd cost you about $66 to upgrade both kids to Disney adults. Keep in mind they'll then have your kids in the system that way, so should you choose at some point in the next couple of years to pay for the dining plan, you'd have to pay adult prices on the dining too...so you'd have to get them to "correct" the kids' ages should you want to only pay for the child's plan in the future. Can be done, just would require a correction by them.

That's magical Disney math, lol.

And yes, most places would still let them order the kids meals...but will charge the adult credit for them.

personally, having done the dining plan many, many times and being a mom of 4 grown kids (as well as having done child care for 20 years) I really could not see a 4 or 5 year old eating the adult dining plan meals...it's a LOT of food. Maybe the two would split an adult meal. Think instead of upgrading them to adults, I'd just use that same $66, or $10 a day, and use it to buy the occasional extra food item when the kids are hungry after finishing a meal.
Well, after talking to them and the differences, which they do understand, they want the kids meals. Which, frankly, I don't care that much. I know DD will be fine, it's DS and him saying he's hungry. But you are right, we can just go buy him something OOP on those times. Especially his carrot cake. He talks about the carrot cake non stop since last year when we had free dining. I don't dare tell him we can get them here, and ruin his DW magic.
And that is strange about Dis not changing the kids back to kids in the future for the dp. Def don't want that if we have to pay for the dp next time around.
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #84
2Tiggies

Quote:
Another thing, desserts. Kids menu(again) doesn't offer much for options.
No, it is far more limited than the adult plan. But then that also depends on how you and your DH eat. Will you both eat dessert twice a day, or would your kids be happy to share one that you pass on once a day? Some people really like to have plenty dessert because that is one of their vacations treats. I can't do that. It makes me thirsty (and lazy ) so I have no problem giving mine to my DD. Of course you have two children and I only have one so all is not equal. If your children are likely to prefer the entree options on the kids menus, then I suspect you may be better off just using that extra money to supplement their meals. It is likely that you will do less supplementing than you expect to since there is plenty of food. If you were planning to use snack credits for some breakfast items, you could save these up by bringing your own cereal. A large box of Cheerios at your supermarket will probably not cost much more than the individual ones at the food court. for example.

Quote:
As for doing one and not the other. That's just asking for trouble.
I get the point.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #85
catne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, after talking to them and the differences, which they do understand, ...
And that is strange about Dis not changing the kids back to kids in the future for the dp. Def don't want that if we have to pay for the dp next time around.
Oh, they WILL change them back to the correct ages later, it's just not automatic. You have to tell them the info in their system is incorrect next time you make a reservation. As for the desserts issue...you can ask at the counter service about getting a dessert on the kids' meal instead of the grapes or whatever. Usually they'll sub a choc chip cookie, but I have seen people allowed to get those little pre-packed cakes, so worth asking. Anyway, if you want to buy him one, it'll be under $3 I think.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #86
2Tiggies

Quote:
Well, after talking to them and the differences, which they do understand, they want the kids meals. Which, frankly, I don't care that much. I know DD will be fine, it's DS and him saying he's hungry. But you are right, we can just go buy him something OOP on those times. Especially his carrot cake. He talks about the carrot cake non stop since last year when we had free dining. I don't dare tell him we can get them here, and ruin his DW magic.
For my DD its the gluten free brownies. I whipped up a batch at Christmas for her and she came to me all chocolate faced and said "Now I really don't want to hurt your feelings and I love your cooking but Disney makes 'em better!"

If you tell them why you are upgrading they change the age. There should be no problem changing it back again on future trips by simply explaining this to the CM on the phone.

I am pretty sure, as Catne points out, that people have had a CM tell them otherwise. If this happens, hang up and call back. It is possible to call Disney 3 times in half an hour and have 3 different answers to the same question. It's just the way it goes.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #87
2Tiggies

Quote:
Oh, they WILL change them back to the correct ages later, it's just not automatic. You have to tell them the info in their system is incorrect next time you make a reservation.
You guys are posting too quick for me!

Quote:
Anyway, if you want to buy him one, it'll be under $3 I think.
$3.59 at present. Or one adult CS dessert OR one snack credit, as you see fit.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #88
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

Quote:
You guys are posting too quick for me!

$3.59 at present. Or one adult CS dessert OR one snack credit, as you see fit.
I think $3.59 is worthy of a snack credit I wonder how many carrot cakes he will get with his snack credits. QSDP, he can get 2 a day

Yeah, Im slightly torn just because I would like them to have the mash potoes and such, but the carrot sticks and grapes are super healthy. Could deal without the jello, but would never suggest such blasphemy on vacation lol Especially when I plan to eat as much of the ch cake as I can get my hands on jk
Plus they LIKE the PB& J packaged sandwiches, and nuggets, and hot dogs. I just could never succumb to such a culinary pallet while on vacation. I need new and variety. DS is quite the same, but the little mickey dishes wins him over I think. So I can see I will have to share my QS entree, but so help me if I have to give up my ch cake.
I will try for the prepackaged cakes.
I just have to say, my kids are NOT fussy or picky. They will pretty much eat what I put in front of them. I just don't like saying no if they want something other than the kids menu kwim? But again, I think pp was right, the money that Im not spending on upgrading will be a savings, even with me buying a meal or 2, or dessert or 2.
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #89
2Tiggies

Quote:
I just have to say, my kids are NOT fussy or picky. They will pretty much eat what I put in front of them
I don't suppose you have a user manual on how to achieve this? I am willing to pay upfront when placing an order.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #90
Faldred
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't suppose you have a user manual on how to achieve this? I am willing to pay upfront when placing an order.
I'll pay extra for overnight mail.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: