Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #136
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked On The Mouse View Post
I think we are commandos. Planning a year ahead of time, excel spreadsheets with numerical values assigned to each attraction, up before dawn and in the parks till late at night, resort pool - what resort pool? We are cruel parents who force our children to spend the whole day every day on rides or at character meals. Thank you for creating a place where it is okay to be ourselves.
the children can be a drag sometimes!!! i gotta pee, im hungry, im tired!!
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #137
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

I forgive them if they have to pee, but dh holds a grudge!

Hooked On The Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #138
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I forgive them if they have to pee, but dh holds a grudge!
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #139
jake&samsmom
Jordan's Mom too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~armywife~ View Post
WAIT!!!!! ... are there really people out there who DON'T have a binder, decorated on the outside with mickey and travel dates and their families name ... a binder with color coded sections, complete with a day by day calender of events/times/park hours AND the menus of all the places you have ADRs and of all the QS you MIGHT go to ?

..... and people who don't know which park they are starting at on each day, when rope drop will be, when the parades and fireworks are, and which rides are going to be the busiest?

how is this possible?
Color coded travel binder with calendar, schedule, and menus, ADR #'s ??? That would be me!!!

Oct. '07 Photo Trip Report: My 6 and 4 year-old park commandos -- How we conquered the World!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1628926
July 2008 Photo Trip Report: They Tried to Make Me Go To Rehab, But I Said No, No, No!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post26362581

jake&samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #140
TaraBara
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure if we would qualify as commandos because this is the first time we will be going to WDW with a plan. I guess we are commandos in training! We went for only 2 days a couple years ago and boy, were we uneducated! We stayed offsite, arrived at MK mid-morning, stood in line to get tickets, took the boat over, then walked into the park probably around 11am. We then proceeded to wonder what we should do and where we should go! We stood in long lines for characters and rides. We also assumed they did fireworks and the parade every night. Boy, were we wrong!!! We just happened to go on a princess and pirate party night so we lost out on quite a few hours of fun when the park closed to us non-ticket holders!

This time will be much different!!!! Our first real wake up call was reading the UG. I must say that we both enjoyed that book thoroughly!!!! We have been planning like crazy for the last month or two and I have spent huge amounts of time on this board! We are still figuring out our touring plans, but definitely plan to stick to a schedule this time. We will be arriving at rope drop if it kills me (not a morning person).

We may not be bringing binders with us to the parks, but you can be assured we will have our touring plan in our back pocket with all the necessary info on it!!!! Our kids will be 7 and 4 when we go and my husband doesn't even want to stop for characters because it might interfere with the plan!

CBR - Sept 2001, offsite - May 2008 , CBR/AKL - Aug 2010, CSR/CBR - Aug 2011, CSR - Oct 2012, YC - Aug 2014
TaraBara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #141
~armywife~
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
i always wondered how many people walk around with that info on a card or paper in there pocket while at the park? if they do, how they set theres up and what it looks like? mine is simple, the day and date on the top. am = m.k pm = epcot. than under each am or pm, i have our adrs and special events. on the bottom right side of the paper i have all four parks hours. the emh times are all ready in the park hours. anyone else carry this info with them??????
i bring the entire binder to the resort with us, and have a master calender in it that has the entire trip planned out on it, but, also, like you, have each day printed out on its own notecard and laminated (that has the park hours of where we're going, our ADRs and any other information specific to that day). we decided that lamination was nice after past vacations where we've ended up with a torn, or wet, or crumpled paper after only half a day .. plus it slides in and out of pockets much easier. it's nice to have the binder in the room, too, so we can get an early peek at menus, or where bathrooms are at the parks, or even decide the fastest routes to get around the parks, etc before we head out for the day.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #142
~armywife~
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake&samsmom View Post
Color coded travel binder with calendar, schedule, and menus, ADR #'s ??? That would be me!!!
and here i was beginning to think i was the only one ...

such a great thread! yay, commandos!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #143
DoleWhipDVC
Mouseketeer

We enjoy going commando - we even try to do the major attractions in all four parks in one day!
DoleWhipDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #144
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~armywife~ View Post
WAIT!!!!! ... are there really people out there who DON'T have a binder, decorated on the outside with mickey and travel dates and their families name ... a binder with color coded sections, complete with a day by day calender of events/times/park hours AND the menus of all the places you have ADRs and of all the QS you MIGHT go to ?

..... and people who don't know which park they are starting at on each day, when rope drop will be, when the parades and fireworks are, and which rides are going to be the busiest?

how is this possible ok, just kidding ... i know there are A LOT of those people out there and that I may be in the minority of over-planners. i'm glad to see that there are others out there! i think there is a lot of fun in the planning and i love printing it all out so we have it at our fingertips, plus it helps get the family in the WDW state of mind ... plus, it makes the actual trip seem sooo much more relaxed.
You are member #65. It is hard to believe that some people have no plan at all. I was always taught to get your monies worth, I can't understand how people can spend all that money, and not have some kind of plan of action

Quote:
I think we are commandos. Planning a year ahead of time, excel spreadsheets with numerical values assigned to each attraction, up before dawn and in the parks till late at night, resort pool - what resort pool? We are cruel parents who force our children to spend the whole day every day on rides or at character meals. Thank you for creating a place where it is okay to be ourselves.
You are member #66. They have pools at the resorts: Sleeping in late and pools you can do at home, whey too much to do at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraBara View Post
I'm not sure if we would qualify as commandos because this is the first time we will be going to WDW with a plan. I guess we are commandos in training! We went for only 2 days a couple years ago and boy, were we uneducated! We stayed offsite, arrived at MK mid-morning, stood in line to get tickets, took the boat over, then walked into the park probably around 11am. We then proceeded to wonder what we should do and where we should go! We stood in long lines for characters and rides. We also assumed they did fireworks and the parade every night. Boy, were we wrong!!! We just happened to go on a princess and pirate party night so we lost out on quite a few hours of fun when the park closed to us non-ticket holders!

This time will be much different!!!! Our first real wake up call was reading the UG. I must say that we both enjoyed that book thoroughly!!!! We have been planning like crazy for the last month or two and I have spent huge amounts of time on this board! We are still figuring out our touring plans, but definitely plan to stick to a schedule this time. We will be arriving at rope drop if it kills me (not a morning person).

We may not be bringing binders with us to the parks, but you can be assured we will have our touring plan in our back pocket with all the necessary info on it!!!! Our kids will be 7 and 4 when we go and my husband doesn't even want to stop for characters because it might interfere with the plan!
You are member #67. I got burned last year once on the firework & parade. I had the schedule printed off the net, well somewhere inbetween they changed it, I'm on my way to HS to see Fantasmic, and it was replaced with Wishes at MK. I wasn't the only one at HS who had this info I make it a point of picking up the park schedules for the week, and make sure everything is still the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleWhipDVC View Post
We enjoy going commando - we even try to do the major attractions in all four parks in one day!
You are member #68. Nothing like a DoleWhip:
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #145
stitchywoman
Mouseketeer

I told DD that we wouldn't take her with us until she could keep up. The first time she went to Disneyland she was 3 and only wanted to get princess autographs...um babe, I have rides to ride and parades to see....Now she is 11 and prides herself on her ability to weave in and out of crowds. I know this makes me sound like the wicked stepmother, but when you are paying the kind of money we do to go to WDW we need to get EVERYTHING in. I show her maps and spreadsheets to get her excited. Our next trip (not this one coming up, it's an adult trip as she has school to attend and didn't want to spend all summer in California so she will be staying with friends....) will be her first and with all the training I may actually let her plan part of it. I may have to replan, but I need to get her started commandoing soon right?

I am so happy to have a group of people who can actually listen to my rantings about planning and get excited with me rather than criticize. I can be very opinionated and am often spoken down to rather than accepted other places....I love you guys...
September 2012-first trip staying offsite and mixing families!

"Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength."
Henry Ward Beecher
stitchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #146
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleWhipDVC View Post
We spend our last full day hitting the biggies in each park. Our last day is spent at the AM EMH park before heading to the airport.

Anyone want to keep track when we will be in WDW? Maybe we can have a mini meet.

Or maybe some of us will be willing to share a fireworks cruise or get YES groups set up.
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #147
Minnie Mi
Mouseketeer

Commando and proud of it. Cut my teeth on a 5-day trip with our 3-year old way back when because, hey, you have to plan with a little kid. Now that I have gotten the Disney commando bug, I know I will be one for life. It just stays with you forever. Like a tattoo. Or silverware.

My husband doesn't want to plan and that's fine: He's MugMan. That guy who's in charge of the refillable mugs. He keeps us all caffeinated and hydrated. (Salute to my Mug Man and to all Mug Men everywhere)

My DS is MugBoy. He's still in boot camp. He may earn another stripe on our upcoming trip if we can trust him to go to Roaring Forks unaccompanied by an adult. Then he'll be MugTween.

Thank you DisBoarders for my annual comando recertification. There's always some new planning tip that helps make our vacation perfect.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #148
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Mi View Post
Commando and proud of it. Cut my teeth on a 5-day trip with our 3-year old way back when because, hey, you have to plan with a little kid. Now that I have gotten the Disney commando bug, I know I will be one for life. It just stays with you forever. Like a tattoo. Or silverware.

My husband doesn't want to plan and that's fine: He's MugMan. That guy who's in charge of the refillable mugs. He keeps us all caffeinated and hydrated. (Salute to my Mug Man and to all Mug Men everywhere)

My DS is MugBoy. He's still in boot camp. He may earn another stripe on our upcoming trip if we can trust him to go to Roaring Forks unaccompanied by an adult. Then he'll be MugTween.

Thank you DisBoarders for my annual comando recertification. There's always some new planning tip that helps make our vacation perfect.
You are member #69. MugMan & MugBoy Yes, I think once it's in your blood , its a hard habit to break.
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 07-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #149
Minnie Mi
Mouseketeer

Thank you! (blush) (double blush at my #)
Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #150
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post

Anyone want to keep track when we will be in WDW? Maybe we can have a mini meet.

Or maybe some of us will be willing to share a fireworks cruise or get YES groups set up.
Great Idea And IMO with 10yrs on the boards, you would make a great canidate for the job

I already see that ~armywife~ & Minnie Mi are there at the same time

So with that if anyone would like to be charge of a Special Intrest Post, it could be keeping track of what level commando everyone is, or keep track of how many M & F commando's there are, etc

Only thing I ask is when making a special intrest post, use the the title, and write Special Intrest Post - and what it is. This way we can spot them, I'll start a special intrest post section on the threads 1st post, so everyone, plus future members will be able to find them and participate

This Is A Equal Opportunity Commando Thread

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: