Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #796
cdotla
Trish

(Continued from last post)

When we arrived back at Chris' cousin's house, her husband was already in the kitchen making dinner.

The kids of course immediately jumped in the pool as supper was being made and the rest of us enjoyed some yummy cocktails and appetizers.

We also got to meet their gorgeous dog:

Dinner was absolutely fabulous, and it was so great to re-connect with the cousins. They are truly some of the nicest and most hospitable people you could ever meet!

Believe it or not, even though her Birthday had been 5 days earlier, Chris' cousin actually went through the trouble to get Katie a Birthday Cake for Dessert, and even had a present for her!

We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves that evening, and were very sorry to have to go. By the time we arrived back at the Beach Club that evening, Illuminations was just starting. We quickly took the kids out onto the balcony to watch it, and then they fell into a deep, dark sleep!

POST SCRIPT: While we were at the cousins' house for supper, we all commented that it would have been perfect had our visit coincided with their mother's visit, which had been scheduled a few weeks after our trip. This, of course, was my MIL's sister, Heather.

How could any of us have known at the time that we would be seeing each other again so soon, but under very tragic circumstances? Just 2 weeks ago, our family had to travel to Montreal to attend Heather's funeral. Her death was completely unexpected and shocking, and even more tragic because she had been scheduled to go to Florida to see her daughters and their families just a few weeks later. As a result, neither of her daughters got a chance to say goodbye to her, and one of them had not seen her in almost a year. Obviously a very good reminder how short and precious life really is.

UP NEXT: Touring Hollywood Studios - Part One

Last edited by cdotla; 07-25-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #797
swwake
RIP our sweet Magic (09/27/10)

Even with all the stress - that looks like a fun day at the beach. I'm glad you got the kids out of the sun before too long - you wouldn't have wanted to ruin the rest of the Disney trip. It's kinda cool that you got to mix in a beach trip with the Disney trip. I love all the family pics. As we get older, we realize how important family really is. So nice of them to make the birthday cake for Katie. And that house is beautiful. So sorry again to hear about Heather. I hope that the family has found some closure and is at peace now with her passing.

Visit my travel blog: Oh, the Places We'll Go!
December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #798
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Linking you back to my original post about this: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=764

Yesterday was the last day they were in PEI...and by far the best episode out of the 4 they did this week. They had Elisha Cuthbert, John Corbet, Bo Derek, and Carson Presley as guests and had a lobster and mussels dinner bash on the Beach. Looked so fun, and it was completely an Atlantic Canadian thing to do, which is where I am from, so I LOVED IT!!!

When they showed Regis on the boat holding up one of the lobsters and he got scared and dropped it when it started to move, I just about killed myself with laughter!
Sorry, I missed that! I've always wanted to visit PEI. Maybe one of these days...
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #799
Harlie
Mouseketeer

Hi Joining in on your trip report! I just caught up Great stuff so far. I can totally agree with you about the Canada 360 show is missing too many of the other great provinces. IMHO the show could have used Some Rider.....Errr....Saskatchewan footage lol!

Look forward to reading more!

Family Trip @POP Sept 2010 Follow along the madness - PreTrip Report

DL Islander Inn and Suites 2008
Delayed Disneymoon just me and DH WDW Pop Century 2009
Me DH and DD13 SDS 12 DS 8
Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #801
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Gorgeous shots Trish! I'm glad the day worked out...despite missing out at the World and TeppenEdo.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #802
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

I'm glad there were lots of 'good' things about your beach day (the drive aside), because I'm sure it was challenging to drive away from WDW for the day. I have cousins like that, I don't see them too often, usually once a year (in a few weeks actually), but we always have a fabulous time together and you're SO right, it's a great reminder of how important family is! Thank you for sharing your trip, good and bad, and your feelings about it so honestly with us, I really appreciate it!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #803
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

The beach is absolutely beautiful!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #804
DisneyBoundinDec
DIS Veteran

Looks like you guys had a great beach day! And I agree about the Gulf Coast.. I grew up in Florida.. on the east coast.. (we've been in Maryland for about 11 years now.. dang jobs! )
And even though I grew up on the east coast.. when we go back to Florida for a beach trip, we always go to the west coast.. the beaches are so nice and the water is perfect and calm for the kids..

oh.. I told my dh about your dh... and how I am really enjoying your trip report even though I want to kick your dh in the butt.. (please don't be offended that I want to do that), and my dh even said your dh is being a butt head.. he told me to tell you to not take him on your next trip! this is coming from a semi-resister..
Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #805
CJsMom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Hi cdotla - I happened upon your thread and the title drew me in - I, too, have a Disney-Resistant Husband who sounds like he could be brothers with your DH. After three trips (two short ones without kids, one longer one with kids in 2007) he had decided that there is no reason to ever go back. I don't think he will hold to it - the kids will see to that - but we certainly aren't planning annual trips or buying into DVC anytime soon. I feel your pain while reading about his impatience with the lines and the chaos at the character meals and shows. My DH is the same way - hates crowds and lines - and also doesn't like the amount of money that Disney costs (even though I spend hours finding bargains, planning trips at slow times of the year and planning itineraries to avoid lines). Anyway, I definitely want to read your Childless Mommies TR because I am heading down to Food and Wine in November with several girlfriends to celebrate our 40th birthdays! I hate to say it, but without DH, it will be a much easier trip.

Last edited by CJsMom; 07-17-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Oh yes, he hates having his picture taken too!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #806
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

I loved your update! Looks like a great day at the beach and spent with family .
Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #807
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

What a fun, but sad update!

I love the Florida beach and it is worth the 2 hour drive each way. Much as I love the pool...it is not the same as playing in the surf. Just the sound of the surf relaxes me. Your pictures made me wish we had a beach day scheduled!

Those rays are something else! I actually just ordered some special sunscreen for our trip as it is so much more intense there I'm upgrading what we are using all around for better protection. I am glad at least the kids didn't get burned but ouch for you and Chris.

It sounds like a lovely day and evening all around.

How very very sad about Chris's aunt.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #808
Disney Geek
Mouseketeer

The West Coast beaches are awesome, we always spend a week on the west coast either before or after our trips to the world!

Glad you had a good day at the beach, seems like it was well worth the drive! I saw some new sunscreen at Shoppers Drug Mart that is SPF 100!!! I will have to try it next time as I always burn in Florida!

Looking forward to your next update!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #809
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

looks like a nice day at the beach, despite the long drive there & the late arrivals !

Your DH's cousin's house looks so much like my parents' house in Bradenton FL!

Emma x
Old 07-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #810
akkascott
Earning My Ears

I started reading your TR because we're staying at the Beach Club next March, but since then I've come to realize that we have a couple of things in common! We also have two kids (DD14 and DS12) and are Canadian (live in the Prairies now, but DH was born and raised in Charlottetown). In fact, we're traveling to the Maritimes next month to visit with friends and family on PEI and two of DH's sisters in Halifax.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying your TR! Thanks for the time and effort that goes into each "episode".

Beach Club - March 2011
Caribbean Beach - December 2007

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: