Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #106
Legendofthehawk
Mouseketeer
 
Legendofthehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Do you think it's worth it to get the hopper, then? I'd mostly just be using it for EMH and MAYBE to run over to DAK for a quick ride on EE. What do you think?



I'm Polish, Irish, and Lithuanian, of course I've been to The Red Apple I'm not a huge fan of Polish food, but I love proper kielbasa. I have yet to find a pierogi I like, but hopefully that one will be good



I don't know. If you aren't a fan of the Apple's pierogis, then maybe it's not in the cards. I admire you for trying though!! Maybe F&W will have something for you.

Can't speak for kielbasa. Most of what we have comes from the store and is put directly on the grill so the juices are trapped inside. It looses something when its boiled, even with sauerkraut, imho. Last time we went to F&W, I checked it out and it seemed like a lot of it was prepped the more traditional way.

Either way, if you find a good one, we'll be watching!
__________________
Me: DH: , DS 4 :DD 3:






2011- Poly!! 2009- SSR Villas 2007- CBR
Legendofthehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #107
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendofthehawk View Post


I don't know. If you aren't a fan of the Apple's pierogis, then maybe it's not in the cards. I admire you for trying though!! Maybe F&W will have something for you.

Can't speak for kielbasa. Most of what we have comes from the store and is put directly on the grill so the juices are trapped inside. It looses something when its boiled, even with sauerkraut, imho. Last time we went to F&W, I checked it out and it seemed like a lot of it was prepped the more traditional way.

Either way, if you find a good one, we'll be watching!
I have 21 things highlighted on my print-out I really really wanna try the Canadian cheddar cheese soup

Have you ever had kielbasa from an actual Polish store, or just the Eckrich type? If you haven't had it from a Polish store and can get to the Milwaukee and Bryn Mawr area, there's a store there called Andy's that sells 100% Polish products, and their kielbasa is AMAZING. My mom goes there all the time to get our sausage for holidays and stuff. She says that it's about 2-3 blocks south of Bryn Mawr on the west side of Milwaukee. She also says that they have a hot cafe area where you can get prepared dinners so you can have it ready to go and don't have to cook, and that their breaded pork chops are excellent Their pierogis are pretty good, too. Fair warning, though, most of their labeling is in Polish, so you may have to ask for a translation. But yeah, their sausage is excellent. Both smoked and fresh Every time my mom goes to visit my grandmother in Seattle, she has to stop at the Polish store to pick up some sausage and stuff for her
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #108
Legendofthehawk
Mouseketeer
 
Legendofthehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I have 21 things highlighted on my print-out I really really wanna try the Canadian cheddar cheese soup

Have you ever had kielbasa from an actual Polish store, or just the Eckrich type? If you haven't had it from a Polish store and can get to the Milwaukee and Bryn Mawr area, there's a store there called Andy's that sells 100% Polish products, and their kielbasa is AMAZING. My mom goes there all the time to get our sausage for holidays and stuff. She says that it's about 2-3 blocks south of Bryn Mawr on the west side of Milwaukee. She also says that they have a hot cafe area where you can get prepared dinners so you can have it ready to go and don't have to cook, and that their breaded pork chops are excellent Their pierogis are pretty good, too. Fair warning, though, most of their labeling is in Polish, so you may have to ask for a translation. But yeah, their sausage is excellent. Both smoked and fresh Every time my mom goes to visit my grandmother in Seattle, she has to stop at the Polish store to pick up some sausage and stuff for her

Oh yes! Nothing beats the authentic stuff. It's like trying to compare BarS hot dogs to Hebrew National all beef. My aunt who lives in the city used to go to pick up blood sausage and head cheese for my grandfather before his stroke.

Never had the stuff from the cafe, only what my aunt picked up. Mmh. Maybe I'll convince my mom to go on a trip to the city with my aunt for breaded porkchops!
__________________
Me: DH: , DS 4 :DD 3:






2011- Poly!! 2009- SSR Villas 2007- CBR
Legendofthehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #109
Nermel9
DIS Veteran
 
Nermel9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,632

I just looked at that list of things at the Food and Wine Festival, and I'm SO excited that I'm going to be there for the last weekend of it! We didn't plan it that way, it just happened to work out!

I just realized, I'll finally be able to try one of those cosmo slushies that everyone always talks about!!!

Printing out that list and highlighting things you want to try is a good idea, I might have to copy you!
__________________

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!


Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #110
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran
 
Luvchefmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 minutes from Chef Mickey FL
Posts: 10,622

I'm trying to answer you re-park hopper * opinion.... that's why I need you to tell me again the Day & Date (since you are going to 3 of them I am talking about the group & DH one)for the MNSSHP and the F & W Day/Date you are trying to do................... sheesh can't get a word in edgewise around here
__________________

a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:UPDATED JULY 13http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #111
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendofthehawk View Post
Oh yes! Nothing beats the authentic stuff. It's like trying to compare BarS hot dogs to Hebrew National all beef. My aunt who lives in the city used to go to pick up blood sausage and head cheese for my grandfather before his stroke.

Never had the stuff from the cafe, only what my aunt picked up. Mmh. Maybe I'll convince my mom to go on a trip to the city with my aunt for breaded porkchops!
Exactly I'm not a fan of breaded pork chops, but my mom is, and she loves theirs, so I'd give them a shot if you like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I just looked at that list of things at the Food and Wine Festival, and I'm SO excited that I'm going to be there for the last weekend of it! We didn't plan it that way, it just happened to work out!

I just realized, I'll finally be able to try one of those cosmo slushies that everyone always talks about!!!

Printing out that list and highlighting things you want to try is a good idea, I might have to copy you!
That's so awesome! I've been down there for the whole length of it on both of my CP's, but I just never got around to going. Long story So I'm excited to go now

I've never had a cosmo slushie (I don't drink), but I may have one on my trip next year. I promised my best friend that I'd have a drink or two with her on our trip

Go right ahead and copy away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
I'm trying to answer you re-park hopper * opinion.... that's why I need you to tell me again the Day & Date (since you are going to 3 of them I am talking about the group & DH one)for the MNSSHP and the F & W Day/Date you are trying to do................... sheesh can't get a word in edgewise around here
Us + Husbands - 10/24
Us - 10/26
Me - 10/28



The F&W day would be 10/25. Does that help?
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #112
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran
 
Luvchefmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 minutes from Chef Mickey FL
Posts: 10,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic
I'm trying to answer you re-park hopper * opinion.... that's why I need you to tell me again the Day & Date (since you are going to 3 of them I am talking about the group & DH one)for the MNSSHP and the F & W Day/Date you are trying to do................... sheesh can't get a word in edgewise around here

Us + Husbands - 10/24
Us - 10/26
Me - 10/28



The F&W day would be 10/25. Does that help?


well sort of I still had to take the time to look up the dates to get the DAY on the calendar allright you are flying in Sun the 24th & that's the night we all do ADR CP & MNSSHP....I did that once many years ago & just about kept my eyes open & enjoyed the whole thing..so with that in mind.. here is my thinking forget about EMH at MK on Monday the 25 th

(so no need for the park hoppers)

you are going to want to sleep in a little on Monday (you may not think so now but think about it you will be up & going non stop from early AM Sun to really early AM Mon)

then meet Sharon (& maybe me) at EPCOT for F & W and won't you want to be there for whoever is doing the concert that night ?

make sense ??
__________________

a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:UPDATED JULY 13http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #113
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
well sort of I still had to take the time to look up the dates to get the DAY on the calendar allright you are flying in Sun the 24th & that's the night we all do ADR CP & MNSSHP....I did that once many years ago & just about kept my eyes open & enjoyed the whole thing..so with that in mind.. here is my thinking forget about EMH at MK on Monday the 25 th

(so no need for the park hoppers)

you are going to want to sleep in a little on Monday (you may not think so now but think about it you will be up & going non stop from early AM Sun to really early AM Mon)

then meet Sharon (& maybe me) at EPCOT for F & W and won't you want to be there for whoever is doing the concert that night ?

make sense ??
I'm actually flying in on the 23rd (Saturday). So I'm going to sleep in on Sunday (24th) and then go to Downtown Disney to do a little shopping and get lunch before the party. I have an updated itinerary, but we just got home from my mom's birthday dinner and I'm absolutely exhausted. I've been up for 28 hours now and I need sleep. I'll post it later after I wake up and let you know what my current (and hopefully final) plans are

__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #114
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran
 
Luvchefmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 minutes from Chef Mickey FL
Posts: 10,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I'm actually flying in on the 23rd (Saturday). So I'm going to sleep in on Sunday (24th) and then go to Downtown Disney to do a little shopping and get lunch before the party. I have an updated itinerary, but we just got home from my mom's birthday dinner and I'm absolutely exhausted. I've been up for 28 hours now and I need sleep. I'll post it later after I wake up and let you know what my current (and hopefully final) plans are

ok s l e e p
__________________

a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:UPDATED JULY 13http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #115
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 22,263

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I love baked goods, and that cake just sounds delicious I went through my print-out and highlighted 21 things that I want to try Yeah, it's definitely a good thing I canceled that ADR

Yeah, considering the list of food that all sounds amazing, I don't think you will, either
Let's put it this way. When Fran and I went there, we wanted to try just about everything. We got there every day right at 11AM and split every plate. By the time we reached our 8th or 9th plate we were ready to go on something like Ellen's Energy Adventure or the American Experience. We did get 1-2 little samples of wine at each booth, but we pretty much hit a booth, ordered all the food items, 2 glasses of wine and parked our scooters and ate. After 3 booths or so we were full.

We made the mistake of having ADRs each night, but we had planned on spending the whole week at F&W. If you care to see my pictures from last year, here is a link to them on Snapfish. Keep in mind that we split everything that we ate, TS meals and tapas plates. You can tell from the pacing of our photos how long it took us to get full because the tapas are back to back and then we moved on to something else.

I forgot that we also did a sake tasting in Japan, where they served us two "tastes" with each type of sake to see how the flavor would change with the different foods that you eat it with. This was a paid event.

Anyways, here's a link to the pics you can see a lot of things that might be on your list, we ate a lot of seafood cause we like that, but we like meat too! Veggies are good, but we're not big into things like tofu or hummus and serious vegetarian fare, just meat eaters vegetarian side dishes!

Ahhhh! Darned Snapfish is doing an update and I can't get the link. Let me know if you would like me to post it tomorrow....
__________________
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #116
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 85,848

If we are planning on visiting more than one park per day, then we are going to need park hoppers. On the Monday, if we're going to do Epcot in the morning and head over to MK for the EMH, we will need a valid ticket to enter....and that will mean a hopper ticket.

I'm planning on getting a 3 day plus hopper ticket. That will mean that if we want to run over to AK to do EE, we can do then and then head on out to a different park in the same day. Now that I've worked out that you can actually do all 4 parks in the same day and hit most of the major rollercoasters, I think it's worth getting the hopper....

Adding on the hopper component is something that you can do at Guest Relations...You just pay the difference (for the entire ticket/visit).
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #117
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
ok s l e e p
I did I definitely needed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Let's put it this way. When Fran and I went there, we wanted to try just about everything. We got there every day right at 11AM and split every plate. By the time we reached our 8th or 9th plate we were ready to go on something like Ellen's Energy Adventure or the American Experience. We did get 1-2 little samples of wine at each booth, but we pretty much hit a booth, ordered all the food items, 2 glasses of wine and parked our scooters and ate. After 3 booths or so we were full.

We made the mistake of having ADRs each night, but we had planned on spending the whole week at F&W. If you care to see my pictures from last year, here is a link to them on Snapfish. Keep in mind that we split everything that we ate, TS meals and tapas plates. You can tell from the pacing of our photos how long it took us to get full because the tapas are back to back and then we moved on to something else.

I forgot that we also did a sake tasting in Japan, where they served us two "tastes" with each type of sake to see how the flavor would change with the different foods that you eat it with. This was a paid event.

Anyways, here's a link to the pics you can see a lot of things that might be on your list, we ate a lot of seafood cause we like that, but we like meat too! Veggies are good, but we're not big into things like tofu or hummus and serious vegetarian fare, just meat eaters vegetarian side dishes!

Ahhhh! Darned Snapfish is doing an update and I can't get the link. Let me know if you would like me to post it tomorrow....
Okeydokey I'll definitely keep that in mind But yeah, I'd love to see your pics when you get a chance to post them

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
If we are planning on visiting more than one park per day, then we are going to need park hoppers. On the Monday, if we're going to do Epcot in the morning and head over to MK for the EMH, we will need a valid ticket to enter....and that will mean a hopper ticket.

I'm planning on getting a 3 day plus hopper ticket. That will mean that if we want to run over to AK to do EE, we can do then and then head on out to a different park in the same day. Now that I've worked out that you can actually do all 4 parks in the same day and hit most of the major rollercoasters, I think it's worth getting the hopper....

Adding on the hopper component is something that you can do at Guest Relations...You just pay the difference (for the entire ticket/visit).
I'll probably add it when I run over to Guest Relations. I have to do that anyway to pick up my MNSSHP tickets (I chose to pick them up at Will-Call, since I'm buying them one by one) and add a day to my park tickets, so I'll just add on the park hopper then.
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #118
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 85,848

I'm going to have to think about buying tickets for the 2 MNSSHP nights!
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #119
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,517

Well, our ADR for the second night is before the party starts, so even if you decide not to go to the second party, you could still come to dinner
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #120
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,517

Yesterday, my best friend and I went up to Six Flags again to hang out at the water park. It was fun, it was just a very long day. We'd both worked until 7am and then went up to the park on no sleep But I finally got this one bag back from her, since I want to use it on my trip, and I also got Mickey mail yesterday!



I got this in 2008 while I was still working at WDW, and I love it. I want to use it for trick-or-treating during the parties



And my Mickey mail! It's apparently just a little planner thing, so it's all information I already knew, but it was still fun to get mail from Disney that wasn't "JOIN THE MOVIE CLUB" or "GET OUR CREDIT CARD".

And I have an updated itinerary! Hopefully this will be the final one unless I choose to hop over to another park, since I'll be adding hoppers when I get there. I'll just see what I feel like on the day, but I do want to spend most of my time at MK

Saturday, October 23
Leave from work for the airport (I may use a sick day for the 22nd, but I haven't decided yet) and grab breakfast when I get there.
Flight from Chicago to Orlando around 11:55am
Arrive in Orlando at 3:30pm.
DME to Pop and grab lunch at the food court
If I worked the night before, go to the room and pass out for a while
Go to MK for EMH
Dinner at Cosmic

Sunday, October 24
Wake up around 10 or so and head to Downtown Disney
Lunch at Raglan Road at 12:30
Do some shopping
Head to MK via bus from a DTD resort to enter at 4 for MNSSHP
Dinner at Crystal Palace at 6 with PrincessInOz, LuvChefMic, and their husbands

Monday, October 25
Head over to Epcot to meet up with PrincessInOz and maybe LuvChefMic
F&W festival
Hop over to MK for EMH

Tuesday, October 26
DHS in the morning
Lunch at Sci-Fi at 1:10
Head to MK whenever I'm done with DHS
Dinner at Liberty Tree with PrincessInOz and LuvChefMic at 5:20
MNSSHP!

Wednesday, October 27
Morning EMH at DAK
Hop over to MK after going on exactly TWO rides (Kilimanjaro and EE )
Lunch at The Plaza at 12:20
Dinner at Harbor House

Thursday, October 28
Morning EMH at MK
Breakfast at Crystal Palace at 9:35 (conveniently AFTER EMH )
MNSSHP
Dinner at Pecos

Friday, October 29
Wander over to Downtown Disney after I wake up and check my bags in with DME
Lunch at Earl of Sandwich
Dinner at the airport
Fly home
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.