Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #91
mnlibzi
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. ♥ Bring back VMK ! Ooo 11:11, Make a Wish! ;)
 
mnlibzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow in a Land of Magical Immortal Unicorns (Minnesota)
Posts: 535

My dad is the "Commando Tourist" of the family and would have us up by 8:00am and have us at the park at opening time. As annoying as it was it let us get on some rides that we wouldn't have gone on. So it can be good or a bad thing.
__________________
Trips:
2008 All Star Vacation Homes October 11th to 18th,
2009 All Star Vacation Homes June ( Forgot Date )


Upcoming Trips:
2011 Disney Cruise 5 Days ( Dream Ship ) August 16th to the 21th + 2 Days at Magic Kingdom

Go Glee!:D Go CHICO the Immortal Unicorn! Mr. Chicken Whaley the Whale! BANANA POWER! Magic makes Dreams come true. Wonder bringings a Fantasy to life.

♥ Disney Quotes are never forgotten. ♥ Gotta Love Disney!Magic KingdomEpcotHollywood StudiosAnimal KingdomLove Disney Forever
mnlibzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #92
tink_86
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 15

Commando by necessity

I have to be a Disney Commando. We're goin for 3 days in August and trying to fit in all 4 parks. It's my DBF first trip so I want to hit all the good stuff so he'll want to go back with me in the future! I've been checking out the Disboards and planning and replanning for 3 months now. I can't wait until August to put my plan to work!!
__________________
tink_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #93
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
 
AJRitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 2,991

I guess I'm best characterized as a Commando Touring Planner-in-Training

This October will be my family's (and my) first-ever trip to Disney World. I plan obsessively. I had our trip booked by early February (shortly after I received the PIN offer in an Email). Airline reservations by the end of March. I'd begun my research shortly after New Year's.

I've got a detailed spreadsheet with macro and micro views of our plans on separate sheets. I have detailed attraction-by-attraction touring plans that are continually being tweaked and refined as I learn more. We've got dining reservations all squared away.

The only things that keep me from being a true commando are:
1. DS3 (aka Squeaker). He's pretty much going to be "along for the ride" this trip. At the moment, he eyes all costumed characters suspiciously and refuses to approach them. He also dislikes just about all amusement park rides. I'm hoping he warms to the ride stuff a bit when he can ride together with both my wife and I, but I'm not counting on it. He's also an unholy terror if he gets overtired, so we've got breaks scheduled in. (DD7 (aka The Bug) on the other hand is a thrill ride junkie who will happily ride things that are just too much for me).
2. I don't really know what I'm doing just yet. I can collect all the secondhand information in existence, and it's still not the same as planning based on personal experience.

To me, the key to being a vacation commando is to plan and prepare in excruciating detail - so much so that when the circumstances require a change in plans, you can smoothly and easily adjust. DW tolerates my planning because she knows that, in the end, it allows us to maximize the positive experiences. Breaks get used as actual rest when needed, instead of wasting time with fidgeting kids while we figure out what's next.
__________________
Aaron (46), Wife DW, The Bug DD (12), Bubba J DS (8)
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #94
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,644

COMMMANDOOOOOOO!!! im in buddy!!!! i would of been here sooner but i was on the phone with guest services!!( your call will be answered in ......... 17 min.)
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #95
perfectparanoia
Mouseketeer
 
perfectparanoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 290

I am totally a commando! In terms of planning, anyway. I must know what I am doing in what order everyday. I must arrive at rope drop.

What people don't understand is it actually helps me to relax on vacation. I am going to be in charge anyway. If I have everything all ready in advance I get to relax and just follow my plans like the rest of the group.

(It also means we won't miss anything.)

Not that the best plans don't go astray. One of our best days we went to DHS for morning EMH and rode TSMM, ToT and RnRC but then we decided we were tired. I asked if we could 'stop by' Magic Kingdom to go on the Jungle Cruise. We then proceeded to do that, Pirates, Splash, Haunted Mansion and Philharmagic (we would have done Space Mountain but this was during the refurb). Having gained great energy from this we headed over to AK to go on Kilimanjaro Safaris 'on our way to' Jiko for dinner (at 5pm). We also went on Everest (and then Kilimanjaro Safaris again). After dinner, we had planned to do evening EMH at Epcot. I thought for sure we would get on the bus and poop out (especially after the wine we had with dinner) but off we went and rode Mission:SPACE, Soarin', Imagination and Spaceship Earth. We did all our favourites at all four parks in one day!

All this and we did it with Disney Transportation!

We were really tired at the end of it all but it was the best day ever!
__________________
1998-Dixie Landings2000-ASMusic2005-PC2007-CS2008-SS & OKW
2009-ASMusic2010-BLT2011-Treehouse Villas2012-AKV2013-AoA
perfectparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #96
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY
 
Lorilais_mommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Where it is cold!!
Posts: 2,683

Confessions of a commando...
I'm going to admit it once & for all...

I am a COMMANDO!!
My DH thinks i need help... like a 12 step program
I have everything planned for our next trip...
We are talking...
I had to put time in my touring plans for a bathroom break!
( which DH had reminded me that not everyone has a steal bladder, when he noticed i had us running for one ride to other!)

part of mine planning to to have maps out so i can see how our walking paths will be maped out!
Also make sure to have a disney box! fill it with things you will need for your next trip that your not using .. Ex. Ponchos! , pins, and little toys for the are plane...
__________________
ME & DH DD (6) london (inf.)

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #97
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlibzi View Post
My dad is the "Commando Tourist" of the family and would have us up by 8:00am and have us at the park at opening time. As annoying as it was it let us get on some rides that we wouldn't have gone on. So it can be good or a bad thing.
You are member #48. Maybe next trip you can teach your Dad a few tricks


Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_86 View Post
I have to be a Disney Commando. We're goin for 3 days in August and trying to fit in all 4 parks. It's my DBF first trip so I want to hit all the good stuff so he'll want to go back with me in the future! I've been checking out the Disboards and planning and replanning for 3 months now. I can't wait until August to put my plan to work!!
You are member #50. I'm sure he will have a blast and want to go back soon. As far as 4 parks 3 days, Yes it can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
I guess I'm best characterized as a Commando Touring Planner-in-Training

This October will be my family's (and my) first-ever trip to Disney World. I plan obsessively. I had our trip booked by early February (shortly after I received the PIN offer in an Email). Airline reservations by the end of March. I'd begun my research shortly after New Year's.

I've got a detailed spreadsheet with macro and micro views of our plans on separate sheets. I have detailed attraction-by-attraction touring plans that are continually being tweaked and refined as I learn more. We've got dining reservations all squared away.

The only things that keep me from being a true commando are:
1. DS3 (aka Squeaker). He's pretty much going to be "along for the ride" this trip. At the moment, he eyes all costumed characters suspiciously and refuses to approach them. He also dislikes just about all amusement park rides. I'm hoping he warms to the ride stuff a bit when he can ride together with both my wife and I, but I'm not counting on it. He's also an unholy terror if he gets overtired, so we've got breaks scheduled in. (DD7 (aka The Bug) on the other hand is a thrill ride junkie who will happily ride things that are just too much for me).
2. I don't really know what I'm doing just yet. I can collect all the secondhand information in existence, and it's still not the same as planning based on personal experience.

To me, the key to being a vacation commando is to plan and prepare in excruciating detail - so much so that when the circumstances require a change in plans, you can smoothly and easily adjust. DW tolerates my planning because she knows that, in the end, it allows us to maximize the positive experiences. Breaks get used as actual rest when needed, instead of wasting time with fidgeting kids while we figure out what's next.
You are member#51. I know AJ a fellow memberof The Dis Dads Club so I can tell you AJ does his homework and does it well He is also the creator of The DisDads Clubhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
COMMMANDOOOOOOO!!! im in buddy!!!! i would of been here sooner but i was on the phone with guest services!!( your call will be answered in ......... 17 min.)
You are member #52. I also know dvczerfs, a fellow Dis Dad Club member. Knows alot of great WDW tricks, I have learned alot from him, He is a few days shy of spending 1 full year of his life at WDW
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #98
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectparanoia View Post
I am totally a commando! In terms of planning, anyway. I must know what I am doing in what order everyday. I must arrive at rope drop.

What people don't understand is it actually helps me to relax on vacation. I am going to be in charge anyway. If I have everything all ready in advance I get to relax and just follow my plans like the rest of the group.

(It also means we won't miss anything.)

Not that the best plans don't go astray. One of our best days we went to DHS for morning EMH and rode TSMM, ToT and RnRC but then we decided we were tired. I asked if we could 'stop by' Magic Kingdom to go on the Jungle Cruise. We then proceeded to do that, Pirates, Splash, Haunted Mansion and Philharmagic (we would have done Space Mountain but this was during the refurb). Having gained great energy from this we headed over to AK to go on Kilimanjaro Safaris 'on our way to' Jiko for dinner (at 5pm). We also went on Everest (and then Kilimanjaro Safaris again). After dinner, we had planned to do evening EMH at Epcot. I thought for sure we would get on the bus and poop out (especially after the wine we had with dinner) but off we went and rode Mission:SPACE, Soarin', Imagination and Spaceship Earth. We did all our favourites at all four parks in one day!

All this and we did it with Disney Transportation!

We were really tired at the end of it all but it was the best day ever!
You are member #53. I agree that having a plan will make you more relaxed while there I have seen families with the deer in headlights look, no clue on what to do next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
Confessions of a commando...
I'm going to admit it once & for all...

I am a COMMANDO!!
My DH thinks i need help... like a 12 step program
I have everything planned for our next trip...
We are talking...
I had to put time in my touring plans for a bathroom break!
( which DH had reminded me that not everyone has a steal bladder, when he noticed i had us running for one ride to other!)

part of mine planning to to have maps out so i can see how our walking paths will be maped out!
Also make sure to have a disney box! fill it with things you will need for your next trip that your not using .. Ex. Ponchos! , pins, and little toys for the are plane...
You are member #54. Your DH sounds like my DW She yells at me all the time for being on the Boards, but it seems funny that when we are at WDW, I don't hear anything about all the time I spent planning anymore
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #99
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,644

52 members!!! congrat commando!!
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #100
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,887

Topic - Unexpected Crowds

Pretty much no matter what week you book something is going on in at least 1 Park, It could be a Holiday, F & W Feast, Jersey Week, Pop Warner, Right now its what someone on another tread referd to as The Billions Of Brazilians (DW & DS are there now and have confirmed this)

You can check some boards on crowd levels, but it is really just a guess, since you really have no way to tell what park everyone will be at, what time, location in the park etc. All factors can lead to unexpected crowds and turn into a commando nightmare

If you come across unexpected crowds, How do you deal with it
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1

Last edited by Disney Commando; 07-14-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #101
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Pretty much no matter what week you book something is going on in at least 1 Park, It could be a Holiday, F & W Feast, Jersey Week, Pop Warner, Right now its what someone on another tread referd to as The Billions Of Brazilians (DW & DS are there now and have confirmed this)

You can check some boards on crowd levels, but it is really just a guess, since you really have no way to tell what park everyone will be at, what time, location in the park etc. All factors can lead to unexpected crowds and turn into a commando nightmare

If you come across unexpected crowds, How do you deal with it
we go at rope drop to each parks am emh. stay till around noon-1pm. go back to okw for lunch and a rest or just hang out. we head back to the parks around 4-5pm. i plain at least one adr everyday but the day of arrival. that gives us 8 hours a day or so in the parks, time to hang at the resort and we stay well rested the entire time. we try to hit the rides we really want to hit early in the am. that way if the parks are crowded in the late afternoon,we do the short line rides or just sit and enjoy the park. as dd17 calls it, creepin!!!
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #102
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,644

crowded parks are also o good thing, it gives a another reason why you have to come back so you can hit the rides you did get on!!
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #103
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans
 
Disney Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Shore, NJ
Posts: 5,887

I have revised 1st post to club status I just have to get the member role call onto it yet.
__________________
Me DH (45), DW (44) , DS (8)
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #104
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again
 
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Along the Nation Ford, SC
Posts: 5,984

I’m in!

Everyone in our house is a WDW freak and we all add into the planning and execution of every trip. I’m in charge of time management, transportation and park layout exploitation. My DW in charge of trip planning, bargain acquirement, and on site recon. We’ve both committed “The Unofficial Guide to Disney” to memory and reread the major parts every trip. Between us, we can pretty much completely dismantle a park is day. We’ve also been down there enough times to know what events and attraction we can bypass this trip (because we know were going back). We’re currently planning a trip down in December just before Christmas (we’ve already got all the ADRs, Park order and maps put together).

My first rule for taking on the parks is: Remember to add travel time into all schedules. Not leaving enough time to deal with the bus/tram systems or adding in the walking time (especially at EPCOT), will throw the best plan into the hopper quickly. It also helps to keep in mind the limitation of all members of the group and build in ADRs and down time for a good rest (I know where some of the most comfy chairs are in most of the parks).

I’m looking forward to hearing everyone else’s ideas and tips. If we do this right, this thread can become one of the most useful one’s on the board.
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #105
perfectparanoia
Mouseketeer
 
perfectparanoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 290

My tip is to sit when you can. If someone else is going potty: sit. If someone is in line for a snack: sit. Your runner is getting a fastpass (and you can't squeeze in another attraction, of course): sit.

There is always a rock or bench around (though I have been known to camp out on the ground, too) and it will make you better able to get your feet through the whole commando day (and night)!
__________________
1998-Dixie Landings2000-ASMusic2005-PC2007-CS2008-SS & OKW
2009-ASMusic2010-BLT2011-Treehouse Villas2012-AKV2013-AoA
perfectparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: