Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
TheArtofDavidK
A Fairy Full of Pixie Dust!

Talking Trading Pins Best Place to Get them? & Planning Single person Trip to WDW

Hey there awesome DIS People! Have another question for the boards. I got such amazing help the last two times I posted some questions. So here is the question:

Where is the best place to buy the Trading Pins in MK and Epcot. Or better question is where is some of the best areas where cast members have the best pins. I'm a huge WtP fan and want to find some great ones.

Thanks for all the help. I am just a guy trying to "Earn his Ears"

Side note: Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to plan a single person trip to WDW for my Birthday. Birthday is in April and looking to enjoy Disney for myself for 2 to 3 days. Thanks all!
TheArtofDavidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
MickeyRPI
A Ft Wilderness Member

As far as where to buy your pins, I would suggest the Disney Outlet "character premier/warehouse" at either the prime or premium outlets in Orlando. You can buy them for as little as $2.50 a pin (in a set), and sometimes under a dollar when they have clearance. They are genuine Disney pins for a great price. In the parks I believe the least expensive pins are $5.95.

As far as the best places to trade, I don't think I have found the "perfect" spot. If you get to the parks first thing you can trade for "fresh" pins that might include some exclusive cast member pins. If you trade late, you will see a different assortment that has been given to the cast member by different park guests.

Personally, I like the pin boards and pin books at the various hotel resorts and theme parks. Just ask a cast member where and what time the board comes out (usually twice a day for an hour each time). Then you will have the opportunity to look over 50+ pins at a time for trading. Again, the early bird gets the worm on those.

If anyone else has tips I would love to hear them. I got into pin trading two years ago, and I really enjoy it. I am always on the lookout for Pirates for myself, and Pooh for someone else...
August 2009 - WDW Honeymoon - Wilderness Lodge
August 2007 - Camping Trip - Ft. Wilderness
April 2007 - Band Trip Chaperone - Offsite
August 2006 - Birthday Surprise - Ft. Wilderness
MickeyRPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I would recommend purchasing pins at Disney's Pin Traders in Downtown Disney Marketplace, along with the Frontierland Trading Post at the Magic Kingdom and Pin Central at Epcot. Those are 3 locations that sell all types of pins which will include limited edtions, Annual Pass pins, DVC member pins and etc. I would recommend going to the Disney Character Outlets at the Premium Outlets and Prime Outlets after looking at WDW because they will have less stock, although their pins will be half price or more.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Before I got I have a look at the various pins available on the disney website or pinpics - I copy the little picture and paste to a word document, then I can print it out and know which ones to look for and cross them off while I'm trading
Some of the castmemebers I met were really helpful when they saw what pins I was looking for - they went 'out back' or checked with other CM's.
DLP Santa Fe - Oct 2000 *DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *Swan and DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *WDW Saratoga Springs/Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village/Bay Lake Towers and DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010* WDW Old Key West - Dec 2011
Becx N Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I don't really trade and couldn't say where or when to do that.

I also don't know the best places to buy pins, but I know where I spend the most time. There are little spots with pins almost everywhere, if you're pin-inclined, but these are the spots I always seem to be drawn to (don't know the names)...

The pin store at Downtown Disney. I think it is called "Disney Pin Traders" or something similar. It's sort of a cross between an actual store and an extremely large kiosk...but they have a lot of pins crammed in there. It's close to the Earl of Sandwich.

The pin spot behind the tip board at Epcot, across from the big fountain in Future World.

A little pin store in Frontierland. If you were walking from Liberty Square toward the Country Bears, it would be off on the left.

The hotels all have a small selection of pins and most have pins for their own hotel, but you can find most (if not all) of the hotel pins at the Downtown Disney pin store, too.

Mousegears in Epcot and The Emporium in the MK are always worth a stop when you're looking for anything.

Under the hat in DHS...although I haven't been there in years and it may be gone for all I know.

Good luck!!
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I think going to the Disney outlet is a good idea. If you are just looking for pins to trade and you're not looking for limited editions, You can giet a good selection there actually. I got some great pins there for less than $6.00 (that's per pin) I even got a few for three dollars.

Some people sell lots of pins on ebay. As with all things you just have to be careful. But there are some pins on there for pretty reasonable prices. There are also some that are on the there for double what I paid for them so it's best to be on our guard.

Pin traders at downtown Disney has some pins that are reasonable priced. For the most part unless you want limited editions you can get a pin for $8 to $10 dollars. Each pin is marked price wise by color so consult the charts and you should be able to asertain how much they are. I buy Limited editions which are a lot more costly in general.

Have a good time trading. It can be fun.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

The Pin Traders in DTD and the one in Frontierland are great. What I do before a trip, is go on Ebay and buy some pins in "lots"...I can get them as low as 50 cents a pin....be careful of your seller, check them out well...I have been sucessful and have purchased hundreds of pins...I go through them and keep the ones that I want and trade the rest. Good Luck Trading.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
chaoscent

Mouseketeer

DISboards Moderator

As mentioned above you can also buy them off the internet, but many of them these days are what are called scrappers. There is an excellent thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
that discusses the good/bad internet sellers. there is also a lot of information about "scrappers" . If you want to list your collection there is a place called pinpics where you can do that. Disney also has a primer about pin trading
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/index
On the left sidebard it tells you where the pins are sold. There's also a daily blog spot on the left.
& you can always post questions in the Collectors Board Forum
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37
Or you can pm me. I have an avid (over the top ) collector. I think it has to do with my various compulsions. Once I start I don't know how to stop I have about 1,100 keepers and about 1,000 traders. However I have narrowed down my wants. Take care and have fun, Penny
Autograph Cards & Covers, Tshirts & Background Clip art are here http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...1Cent/?start=0 Our DISigns are free as we donate our time and talent to make them. If you like what we have made please consider a donation to Give Kids the World. To donate, please click the Power of 10 image in my signature.
chaoscent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
The hotels all have a small selection of pins and most have pins for their own hotel, but you can find most (if not all) of the hotel pins at the Downtown Disney pin store, too.
The resort that sells the same quality of pins such as Disney's Pin Traders is the Fantasia store at the Contemporary. So besides the regular pins they also sell limited edition pins, Annual Pass pins, DVC member pins and etc. None of the resorts sell those types pins.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
itsmuggsie
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Some of the places I found the best pins to trade for were at the resorts. Most of the resort stores have either a pin board or a book that you can browse and trade from. Some resorts put them out at specific times during the day, I know this is true with the Monorail resorts. Other resorts you can ask the cast memeber at the store counter to see the pin book or board.
itsmuggsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
planning, trading pins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: