Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #151
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
My dad was Air Force too, I ended up graduating from High School in the Springs (Rampart) but I only went there for 1 year! Feel free to give us a shout if you guys are heading up to Denver (Highlands Ranch) any time soon!
Awesome! Thanks for the invite! My Dad was Air Force too. We moved here my junior year (Air Academy for me!) and my parents stayed. So Colorado is home to me now and it feels like it when whenever we come back.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #152
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Hi Disney Falcon,

Just popping back to your report. I posted how much I enjoyed it a couple of pages back but thought I ought to come and let you know that your amazing photos were also a great tool in convincing my husband to let me turn our 8 night Dover to Barcelona Repo into a 19 night Repo and 11 night Med Cruise Back to Back!

As a fellow photography enthusiast I am hoping I can get some photos approaching the standard of some of yours!

Take Care
Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #153
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post
Hi Disney Falcon,

Just popping back to your report. I posted how much I enjoyed it a couple of pages back but thought I ought to come and let you know that your amazing photos were also a great tool in convincing my husband to let me turn our 8 night Dover to Barcelona Repo into a 19 night Repo and 11 night Med Cruise Back to Back!

As a fellow photography enthusiast I am hoping I can get some photos approaching the standard of some of yours!

Take Care
Mel
x
Excellent Mel!! I would love to spend 19 days taking pictures of those places!! I'm glad I could help in some small way!!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #154
LendMeYourEars
Earning My Ears

Question Awesome photos! Dress code question

Hi. Everyone in our crew loved your photos. We are bursting with excitement for our Aug 18th trip.

I looked online for the lens you recommended -- I can see why you rented it. Can you share how much the rental was?

You said that no shorts are allowed in the Vatican. What is the dress code? Are there any other ports that also have restrictions? Let to our own devices, we will be wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops everywhere...

Thanks!
LendMeYourEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #155
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LendMeYourEars View Post
Hi. Everyone in our crew loved your photos. We are bursting with excitement for our Aug 18th trip.

I looked online for the lens you recommended -- I can see why you rented it. Can you share how much the rental was?

You said that no shorts are allowed in the Vatican. What is the dress code? Are there any other ports that also have restrictions? Let to our own devices, we will be wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops everywhere...

Thanks!
Yes, that is why I rented it! It was about $150 with insurance for two weeks. A lot, but nothing like buying it.

The Vatican wouldn't allow shorts or bare shoulders if memory serves. I think the ship also recommended we not have bare shoulders in Tunisia if I remember. Other than that it was only a problem in some cathedrals and you certainly didn't have to go in there. We wore capris most days when we went into port just to be safe, but it wasn't August heat either.

Have so much fun on your trip!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #156
crzy4dals
DIS Veteran

Disneyfalcon,

Love your TR

What bus did you take from St. Peters to Trevi Fountain???

We are looking to do a walking tour as well.

Leaving in 29 days!

Grandvilla Boardwalk June 28th, 2011**French Quarter and Old Key West for Christmas! ** Dream Cruise - April 10. 2012 ** Pixar Cruise - September 23, 2012 ** Food and Wine October 2012 ** Christmas at OKW 2012 ** Spring Break BLT** June Parent getaway at Caribbean Beach**Aug 1 2013 Niece's 1st cruise
crzy4dals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #157
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4dals View Post
Disneyfalcon,

Love your TR

What bus did you take from St. Peters to Trevi Fountain???

We are looking to do a walking tour as well.

Leaving in 29 days!
Thanks, Erin! I don't remember the exact bus. After we came out of the Vatican, we went in a newsstand and asked which bus to catch and where to go. They were very helpful!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #158
lucy0558
Mouseketeer

Hi,
I've just finished your report. WOW! The pictures were awesome; what wonderful memories you have made. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #159
skibum
DIS Veteran

Loved your trip report. We were on the Med cruise three years ago, and did everything on our own as well. Nice to learn about some of the new ports.
Just booked a Med cruise for next summer - taking the grandparents.
Your TR helped bring back memories, and gave ideas for us next year.
Thanks for an exceptional job!

9/82--Contemporary Honeymoon*9/85--Off-site*5/87--Off-site *3/95--Off-site*5/96--All-Star Sports*10/98--All-Star Music*10/99--All-Star Movies*11/02--All-Star Music*12/1/04-05--Pop Century *1/05--Disney Magic Caribbean*5/05--Pop Century-Inline Marathon*9/05--Disney Wonder Anniversary without kids*3/06--Disney Magic Western*4/06--Saratoga Springs Resort-Inline Marathon*12/06-Old Key West*1/07--Beach Club Villas*1/07--Villas at Wilderness Lodge *3/07--Disney Magic Western*7/07--Disney Magic 11-night Mediterranean Cruise*12/07--Beach Club Villas*1/08--Beach Club Villas*5/08--All-Star Sports-Minnie Marathon*5/08--All-Star Sports-Disney Channel Games/Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers Concert*11/08--Old Key West*11/08--Pop Century*11/08--Disney Wonder Bahamas*12/08--Old Key West*1/09--Beach Club*3/09--DVC Ko'olina*3/09--Disneyland (Anaheim)*11/09--Bay Lake Tower*11/09--Beach Club*3/10--Saratoga Springs-Princess Half-Marathon*4/10--Disneyland Paris*7/10--Animal Kingdom Villas*1/11--Saratoga Springs-Disney 26.2 Marathon*Saratoga Springs-Princess Half-Marathon*7/11--Disney Magic 11-night Mediterranean Cruise*9/11--Disneyland Half-Marathon*11/11--Disney Dream Bahamas*1/12--Beach Club / Old Key West / Bay Lake Towers Disney Half & Marathon Goofy Challenge*3/12--Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera*

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #160
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy0558 View Post
Hi,
I've just finished your report. WOW! The pictures were awesome; what wonderful memories you have made. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for reading, Lucy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Loved your trip report. We were on the Med cruise three years ago, and did everything on our own as well. Nice to learn about some of the new ports.
Just booked a Med cruise for next summer - taking the grandparents.
Your TR helped bring back memories, and gave ideas for us next year.
Thanks for an exceptional job!
Thanks, skibum! I hope to repeat this cruise again one day. I feel like we learned so much!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #161
ytsyts
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I am going on the med cruise end Aug. I have booked myself some excursions as this is my first cruise ever. But I think I might have changed my mind after I read your report.

For Tunisia, do u recall how much was the cab? We have only 2 in our party so I am not sure if it works out better. Also I like to take photos and my main worry for excursions is that there will be too many pple and too little time for photos.

Any advice?

Thanks.
ytsyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #162
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsyts View Post
Hi,

I am going on the med cruise end Aug. I have booked myself some excursions as this is my first cruise ever. But I think I might have changed my mind after I read your report.

For Tunisia, do u recall how much was the cab? We have only 2 in our party so I am not sure if it works out better. Also I like to take photos and my main worry for excursions is that there will be too many pple and too little time for photos.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Hi ytsyts! The cab in Tunisia was 5 euros per person plus a small tip. That was for the round trip ride to Sidi Bou Said. Our cab driver dropped us off and then came back 2 hours later.

I definitely had lots of time for pictures and composing since we were on our own. I've seen some other trip reports where people took a ton of pictures on their excursions though. Most excursions seem to give you some roaming time.

I like to go at slower pace and not feel like I'm making people wait for me when I take pictures, so our own was great for me.

Have a great trip!!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #163
ytsyts
Earning My Ears

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. One more question: Do you think I'll need to do a lot of pre-planning for my own excursions? If I just arrive at the ports and start to figure out transport (e.g. Pompeii, Pisa), is it workable?

I am visiting Italy after the cruise so I don't need to rush to Rome or Florence. But I don't want to spend the whole day on the ship as well.
ytsyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #164
cali cruiser
Earning My Ears

Because your trip report and vacation was so awesome, I see that you are getting lots of response and many questions. I again have another camera question...this time regarding Barcelona.
I just finished reading about what to carry and not carry in Barcelona due to the significant amount of thefts in the area. I know alot of people are buying the Pacsafe bags, etc. I was wondering if you carried a large camera bag during your stay in Barcelona and if so, had any problems. I read somewhere that carrying a camera bag was discouraged. However, my large cannon camera cannot just be placed in a small purse. It needs to be in a camera bag. Any thoughts???
We are also trying to do our own excursions like you all did. The only place that concerns me is Naples. If you could do it over, would you recommend doing a DCL half day tour of Pompei or do you think it was fine walking to the train station and doing it on your own. (we will have our 8 y/o and 12 y/o w/ us and my 62 y/o mom). Also, did you feel safe on the train in Naples with your purse and camera bag, etc.? Thanks again for answering my questions. I hope our trip goes as well as yours did!
Michelle
Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #165
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsyts View Post
Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. One more question: Do you think I'll need to do a lot of pre-planning for my own excursions? If I just arrive at the ports and start to figure out transport (e.g. Pompeii, Pisa), is it workable?

I am visiting Italy after the cruise so I don't need to rush to Rome or Florence. But I don't want to spend the whole day on the ship as well.
We did spend some time on cruise critic beforehand to get an idea of where the train stations were. Other than that,we just decided what we really wanted to see so we wouldn't miss anything.

That was it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: