Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #61
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
That's true I guess. I think it's ridiculous they even have that stupid policy, and that the seats are that small. The seats don't really bother me though, because I sit next to my DH and we put the arm rest up in the middle so we're not smushed into one seat each, we can share each others.

Now I'm getting nervous about Southwest! I was fine last November when I flew with them, but I gained about 20 pounds since then! Do they have any actual guidelines they follow, or do they just decide by looking at you?

I really got get going with this weight loss! I have 4 months exactly, and I want to lose 10 pounds a month, which I think is realistic, although I'd really like to lose 12-13 pounds a month and lose 50 total by the time we go! I'll settle for 40 though!
The way that they put it is that if you can put the armrests down and buckle up (with one seat extender, if needed) and not "encroach" on the other person's space, you're good. Basically, if you can sit in a seventeen-inch wide seat with armrests and not have your belly spill over or anything, you're fine. The flight attendant can actually pull you off the flight after you've been seated, even if you're sitting next to your DH and he's not complaining. Considering how many Americans are fat, you'd think they could have larger seats on a plane.

Good luck with the weight loss. I'm gonna try, but I'm going to buy the second seat anyway, just in case. I don't see myself losing enough weight to be under what I was when I moved back by the time that I go down.
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #62
Nermel9
DIS Veteran
 
Nermel9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
The way that they put it is that if you can put the armrests down and buckle up (with one seat extender, if needed) and not "encroach" on the other person's space, you're good. Basically, if you can sit in a seventeen-inch wide seat with armrests and not have your belly spill over or anything, you're fine. The flight attendant can actually pull you off the flight after you've been seated, even if you're sitting next to your DH and he's not complaining. Considering how many Americans are fat, you'd think they could have larger seats on a plane.

Good luck with the weight loss. I'm gonna try, but I'm going to buy the second seat anyway, just in case. I don't see myself losing enough weight to be under what I was when I moved back by the time that I go down.
Oh well, I should be fine then, if that's the way they put it! What is a seat extender? I can put down the armrests and buckle up...not comfortably, but I definitely don't have anything spilling over onto anyone else's seat! And hopefully by then I will be a lot smaller and not even have to stress about it! I'm just going to suck in a lot and sit up really straight too! And make sure I have a window seat so I'm mostly blocked, just in case! They really should have bigger seats though, it's ridiculous that they make you stuff yourself on a plane and you have to worry about whether or not you're going to get kicked off!

Good luck with your weight loss too! I'm hoping I can stay on track for the next 4 months, but it's SO hard...and I have this habit of losing really fast in the beginning, then I just stop losing anything for a while and I get aggravated and give up! Really need to avoid that this time!
__________________

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!


Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #63
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Oh well, I should be fine then, if that's the way they put it! What is a seat extender? I can put down the armrests and buckle up...not comfortably, but I definitely don't have anything spilling over onto anyone else's seat! And hopefully by then I will be a lot smaller and not even have to stress about it! I'm just going to suck in a lot and sit up really straight too! And make sure I have a window seat so I'm mostly blocked, just in case! They really should have bigger seats though, it's ridiculous that they make you stuff yourself on a plane and you have to worry about whether or not you're going to get kicked off!

Good luck with your weight loss too! I'm hoping I can stay on track for the next 4 months, but it's SO hard...and I have this habit of losing really fast in the beginning, then I just stop losing anything for a while and I get aggravated and give up! Really need to avoid that this time!
Ack, I meant seat BELT extender. It's just an extra length to make your belt longer. But yeah, you should be fine as long as you don't "spill over". I just don't want to deal with it, nor do I want to be squished, so I may as well buy the two seats, you know?

The only time I've ever lost consistent weight was when I was working at Disney, and that was because of how much walking I was doing.
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #64
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 21,598

We're lucky enough that we seem to spend enough money on our credit cards to be able to afford (on miles) 1st class tickets. The seats are larger. However the last time we flew on Southwest was 2 years ago and for the two of us we purchased three seats only because Fran had the same concerns as you, and between the two of us, we're a 1/4 ton. Instead of packing her into the aisle and me in the middle seat and possibly crowding the person in the window seat, we booked three tickets (however this was also on miles). I understand completely your fear, and that is really rude if that woman next to you actually said things like that to her traveling companion with you sitting there. I can't believe how cruel some people are, I hope they get what they deserve!
__________________
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #65
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
We're lucky enough that we seem to spend enough money on our credit cards to be able to afford (on miles) 1st class tickets. The seats are larger. However the last time we flew on Southwest was 2 years ago and for the two of us we purchased three seats only because Fran had the same concerns as you, and between the two of us, we're a 1/4 ton. Instead of packing her into the aisle and me in the middle seat and possibly crowding the person in the window seat, we booked three tickets (however this was also on miles). I understand completely your fear, and that is really rude if that woman next to you actually said things like that to her traveling companion with you sitting there. I can't believe how cruel some people are, I hope they get what they deserve!
I actually don't even HAVE a credit card I have my debit card and that's it My uncle had said that if he had enough miles, he'd let me use them, since they expire in December, but he didn't. I obviously appreciated the thought, though. I really wish that airplane seats were a little wider in coach, but they're not going to change it, even though so many passengers are heavier now. I deal with it, I'm just worried that they'd kick me off the plane, you know? I want this trip to go smoothly, so I don't want to worry about that, which is the ONLY reason I'm going to book the two seats.

__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #66
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 21,598

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I actually don't even HAVE a credit card
I can't IMAGINE life without a credit card! While I got in real big trouble 15-20 years ago, my parents helped me out and I paid them back. Now we pay off our balance in full each month, but everything we buy goes on a credit card no matter how small. I have been trained not to give up the potential miles. We don't buy things we can't afford to pay off, but every single thing we buy gets us miles which is why we always fly for free. If I told you all the schemes that Fran has dreamed up to get us extra miles and how we have used those miles, you would be amazed!
__________________
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #67
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I can't IMAGINE life without a credit card! While I got in real big trouble 15-20 years ago, my parents helped me out and I paid them back. Now we pay off our balance in full each month, but everything we buy goes on a credit card no matter how small. I have been trained not to give up the potential miles. We don't buy things we can't afford to pay off, but every single thing we buy gets us miles which is why we always fly for free. If I told you all the schemes that Fran has dreamed up to get us extra miles and how we have used those miles, you would be amazed!
I have a reason for not having a credit card, but I don't want to get into it on a public forum, so I'm gonna send you a PM
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #68
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 81,180

Hey Firefly....I always hate how this world seems to always find a way to discrimate against people....too fat, too thin, too tall, too short.....this religion, no religion, country, race....

I'm a little bit overweight; and even I find it hard to squeeze into the airline seats! I understand the economics of wanting to make a profit... but I don't understand why they can't put less seats in so that everyone can be more comfortable.

Well...let keep targetting healthy eating, more exercise and moderate weight loss!
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #69
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Hey Firefly....I always hate how this world seems to always find a way to discrimate against people....too fat, too thin, too tall, too short.....this religion, no religion, country, race....

I'm a little bit overweight; and even I find it hard to squeeze into the airline seats! I understand the economics of wanting to make a profit... but I don't understand why they can't put less seats in so that everyone can be more comfortable.

Well...let keep targetting healthy eating, more exercise and moderate weight loss!
I do too I'm a poor, Polish, fat, blonde, female geek. So I get a lot of jokes made about me. Unfortunately, people don't change. They just find something else to direct their vitriol toward.

I highly doubt that the airlines will change. That's kind of why I like Southwest's policy, though, because if there's even one empty seat on the flight, you get a refund for the second ticket. As far as I know, no one else does.

Moderate is exactly what I'm going for. I don't want to be a twig, nor do I think I ever COULD be. With my genetics and love of food, there's no way I'd ever get below maybe a size 12 or 14 unless I did something extremely unhealthy, which I'm not about to do.

Ah well.

But now I'm hungry I brought a small lunch to work last night (leftover spaghetti) and now I'm starving
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #70
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 81,180

Bring in some snacks; but in moderation.

You should bring some fruit and eat that when you're hungry....and go check out the refrigerated section in the supermarket for Weight Watchers deserts. They have them here in Oz and I expect they do too in the US. I like the creme caramels and they are only worth 1 weight watcher's point (I'm allowed 20 points a day).

Milk arrowroot biscuits are also good; 2 of those are roughly 1 point. Nice to have with a cup of tea.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #71
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,454

I do bring in snacks when there are snacks in the house to bring. The problem is that I'm not the one who does the grocery shopping, and if I do my OWN grocery shopping, it disappears before I get a chance to touch it because my dad takes it for HIS lunch. I know that sounds like an excuse, but it's really not fun to spend your last $60 on things for your lunch on your day off and then find out on your next day of work that your dad's been taking it all before you even have a chance to use any of it. He does that all the time, with just about everything. He thinks that if it's in the kitchen or fridge, it's fair game, even if I put my name on it. And if I keep it in the fridge here at work instead of at home, someone else will eat it.
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #72
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 81,180

That's a real problem!!

If you're cycling in to work , is there a store you could stop off at and pick up the snacks before you go to work? You'd only need to buy small amounts at a time....
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #73
Legendofthehawk
Mouseketeer
 
Legendofthehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I actually don't even HAVE a credit card I have my debit card and that's it My uncle had said that if he had enough miles, he'd let me use them, since they expire in December, but he didn't. I obviously appreciated the thought, though. I really wish that airplane seats were a little wider in coach, but they're not going to change it, even though so many passengers are heavier now. I deal with it, I'm just worried that they'd kick me off the plane, you know? I want this trip to go smoothly, so I don't want to worry about that, which is the ONLY reason I'm going to book the two seats.


Morning you.

Hey, we don't have a credit card either. It's been a pain at times, but it is a relief to know that we don't owe anyone more than we do. One less bill to pay!

As far as food goes, totally here what you are saying there. Maybe try to shop everyday as needed? So it doesn't have time to sit in your fridge before you cook? Sounds like a total PITA, but not sure what else to suggest. Other than maybe making one meal you know your dad will hate so if he eats it, he will think twice before eating the rest of your food.

For the work however, an Ex who has a similar problem told me if he took his lunch and put it in a vegetable box (like you'd get for frozen corn or brussel sprouts), no one would touch it. Mabey a bioharzard bag for you?
__________________
Me: DH: , DS 4 :DD 3:






2011- Poly!! 2009- SSR Villas 2007- CBR
Legendofthehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #74
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran
 
Luvchefmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 minutes from Chef Mickey FL
Posts: 9,946

It really is so upsetting that you are having to pay for those 2 seats...what does THAT end up costing?


If an airline policy stated that I needed to buy 2 seats for just me I would use another airline...I know I know..but because people get manipulated by them they get away with it..so when will it end?
__________________
a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056 Just Hi ! 4/18/2014
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #75
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK
 
DisneyFirefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
That's a real problem!!

If you're cycling in to work , is there a store you could stop off at and pick up the snacks before you go to work? You'd only need to buy small amounts at a time....
The first one that comes to mind is a Whole Foods. As much as I want to start eating healthier, I'm not about to spend $3 on one orange. I'd have to find out if there's anything else on my route, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendofthehawk View Post
Morning you.

Hey, we don't have a credit card either. It's been a pain at times, but it is a relief to know that we don't owe anyone more than we do. One less bill to pay!

As far as food goes, totally here what you are saying there. Maybe try to shop everyday as needed? So it doesn't have time to sit in your fridge before you cook? Sounds like a total PITA, but not sure what else to suggest. Other than maybe making one meal you know your dad will hate so if he eats it, he will think twice before eating the rest of your food.

For the work however, an Ex who has a similar problem told me if he took his lunch and put it in a vegetable box (like you'd get for frozen corn or brussel sprouts), no one would touch it. Mabey a bioharzard bag for you?
Hello!

I actually can't really shop every day as needed. I don't drive, I just take the CTA, and the only stores that are on my route have extremely limited selections or are more expensive than, say, Jewel or Dominick's. My schedule is crazy and most of the time, I don't have time to stop at a store before or after work. I work 12-hour overnight shifts and sometimes the store's not open and the ones that ARE open aren't on my route home. My dad's also a bottomless pit, so he'll eat just about anything, so making something he won't eat is almost impossible

Most of my coworkers like veggies They also know that I'm a little weird, so I'd be the type to have tupperware that looks like this:



This is my lunchbag:




Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
It really is so upsetting that you are having to pay for those 2 seats...what does THAT end up costing?


If an airline policy stated that I needed to buy 2 seats for just me I would use another airline...I know I know..but because people get manipulated by them they get away with it..so when will it end?
The two seats will be about $465 unless the fare goes up before I can buy them. Southwest will give me a refund on the second seat if the flight's not full, though. I actually got curious today and sat on a measuring tape and measured. So according to seatguru, I'm too fat for ANY economy plane seat So I can't just switch airlines, and I don't have the money to pay for business or first class. I'm pricing them anyway, but I don't think I'll have the money for that.
__________________

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.