Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
kkmcan
Official Mouse Fan

Is China Town in San Fran safe? Okay to take kids?

We are doing a trip to San Fran in Oct and I need to start working on our trip planning.

Been thinking about going to China Town for a meal and maybe some shopping (let the kids pick something out for a souvie). Just wondering if it's safe to go there? Is this something a family would be interested in?

Thanks for any advice!

Disneyland 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
DCL 4 night Nov. 2006 + WDW Nov. 2006
We got DL AP's!! Trips: 6/08, 10/08, 1/09, 3/09
DL + Trick or Treat Party 10/09
DCL 3 night + WDW Free Dining Dec 16-25 2009 Disneyland 6/2010 Using our GAD Vouchers!
DCL LA 2 day cruise to no where 1/2011
DCL 7 Night Mexican Riviera KSF 3/20/2011
DL AP's Trips:10/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012, 10/2012
WDW, Discovery Cove, Aquatica 05/2013
Aulani Hawaii 03/2014
kkmcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

China Town is as safe as anywhere in the city. Of course it is a city and tourist area so always be cautious of pick pockets. But you won't be robber at gunpoint if this is your concern. It's fairly crowded all day on Grant street and there area couple side streets. But I've never had a problem anywhere.

The only areas in SF I felt uncomfortable is an area south east of Union square called the ternderloin, it was just dirtier and there were some drunks fighting. It's a little more run down area.

Also in Golden Gate park which is great but if you enter at the panhandle on the walking trails is not perfect. No kidding the first 100 feet is a gauntlet of people asking for and offering drugs. Not somehere I would be at night.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
lcasa
DIS Veteran

Agree completely. Avoid the tenderloin - rest of the city pretty safe esp during the day - and lots of folks walking even in the evening.

Chinatown has some touristy stores that would be good for souvenirs as well as interesting curbside food and groceries. It does almost feel like another country so would be interesting for the kids. My favorite chinese spot to eat is actually just outside the gates - House of Nanking on Columbus and Kearney.
lcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Potterswife
Mouseketeer

safe...yes and an interesting place to visit and take pictures. You will see tourists but also people going about their daily lives (grocery shopping and going to and from work). It is almost like another country, be sure to try out the bakeries, they offer some yummy items you don't see every day.
Potterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

I shop for groceries in Chinatown sometimes because the produce is so often cheap along Stockton Street that it is much better than the supermarket chains. The sidewalks are crowded so you may encounter the kind of aggression that that entails, but that is all. People who want me out of their way are everywhere of course. I certainly never felt like someone was going to shoot me if that is what you mean when you ask whether Chinatown is safe.

I have never gone to the fortune cookie factory, but I heard that that is a good place for family entertainment.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Hmm, did someone watch that recent Gangland special? But yes, I agree with the others- It is in a big city, so just like anywhere else in the city you need to be cautious. But we went there many times as kids (and now as an adult too). We had fun going in the shops and picking out little chinese shoes, fans and trinkets with our allowance. We'd also pick out "weird" chinese candies and then squeal as we tried them all the next day. Lots of good places to eat and it's fun to see, have a great time.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Chinatown is fun! I would take my girls there, in fact it's been on our list of places to go this year.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Love China Town - we go there on every SFO visit, fascinating with lots to see. Yes, we have always felt safe. Our favorite eatery is the Washington Street Bakery and Restaurant on Washington Street below Stockton. Check out a City Guides walking tour, they will take you down back alleys you might not venture onto and will stop at the Fortune Cookie Factory. Yummy!
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
PrincessAurora
Hmpphh! Who needs that boy in green tights when you can have the Tag Fairy! ;)

It is as safe as any other big city during the day. I would have no problem walking there with kids during the day at all. The only thing I never do is drive into Chinatown. The streets are narrow, the drivers are nuts. It seems that every time I nearly get run off the round, it's in Chinatown. Now I park elsewhere and walk. It's close to Union Square and parts of the Financial District so parking outside and walking in is not an issue.
Disney Cruise: Bahamas - 2013, Alaska - 2016[/FONT]
PrincessAurora is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: