Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #46
blondietink
DIS Veteran

We have always been commandos ... from morning EMH's in one park until evening EMH's in another park. We did not want to miss anything! However, this all changed when we becme AP holders. Then it was like, what the heck, I'll be back soon so if I miss it this time I will catch it next time.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #47
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Free DP

I'm alittle confussed on this My next trip will be Dec 5-11 a blackout week, but they offer the free DP for Dec 10-21. Now since I will be there on the 10th & 11th do they give it to you for your whole stay, I'm thinking I should really look into this, it could pan out
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #48
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran

We only go once every 2-3 years, so we make the most of our time at WDW. We get up super early, hit the EMH rope drops, ride as much as we can in that first hour. Break for lunch/pool midday then back to the parks for the night. We are tired by the end of the trip, but we know we won't be back for awhile so we savor the commando touring style!

tweedlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #49
BEANTOWNDR7
To Infinity and Beyond

I am the commando as far as planning the trip (booking all reservations) and getting an idea where and what we are gonna do each day. But as soon as we get into the park we usually just play it by ear. However, my wife and I usually like to push the limits with our kids, so if the park is open late and the kids are fading, we usually give them a Coke and it perks them up for several more hours.

We know, bad parents but we try to squeeze has much in as we can. The kids know beyond Disney they don't ever get Coke to drink.
November 2006 Disneyland - Peacock Suites
May 2007 WDW - AS Movies
February 2008 Disneyland - Peacock Suites
March 2009 WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort
October 2010 WDW - Bay Lake Towers
October 2011 WDW - Polynesian
November 2012 - Bay Lake Towers
October 2013 - Polynesian & Coronado Springs
January 2014 - Boardwalk

Me; Wife; Bre; Kenzie; Juli
BEANTOWNDR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #50
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEANTOWNDR7 View Post
it by ear. However, my wife and I usually like to push the limits with our kids, so if the park is open late and the kids are fading, we usually give them a Coke and it perks them up for several more hours.
FWIW Red Bull works better!
ntsammy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #51
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Since there are alot of commando's out there, I'm thinking we should start The WDW Commando Club for those who do WDW commando style or would like to. Where you will not be put down for trying to accomplish as much as you want to do in a day or trip and get the most out of WDW
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 07-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #52
CLPClarinet
My heart belongs to Severus Snape

many young adults from my generation know "commando" by a different definition. It makes me laugh whenever people say they're doing Disney "Commando Style"

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=commando

Should we share tips for the chafing?
CLPClarinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #53
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLPClarinet View Post
many young adults from my generation know "commando" by a different definition. It makes me laugh whenever people say they're doing Disney "Commando Style"

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=commando

Should we share tips for the chafing?
Looks like I'm showing my age now I was wondering why some were talking about underwear ealier in the thread

The Old School meaning is: a soldier specially trained to carry out raids (definition sounds alittle harsh)

I guess commando style whould fall somewhere inbetween the 2, underwear would be a option

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1

Last edited by Disney Commando; 07-10-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #54
CLPClarinet
My heart belongs to Severus Snape

It's OK not to wear underwear, just don't wear white pants or khakis and then do Splash Mountain!
CLPClarinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #55
dizcraze1
Mouseketeer

Everyone is so funny! I knew I was one of the few crazies out there but I never realized there are a TON of us! Our first trip was 2 years ago and I had everything planned, mapped, highlighted, and narrowed down to the very minutes of the day. A friend told me about disboards and I was on them everyday for HOURS, literally, researching and gathering info. I can honestly say that if it weren't for this site, a lot of the things we did our first time never would have happened because that info just isn't out there. Our actual trip was pretty smooth thanx to all my hard work beforehand and I am SO thankful I did plan as well as I did. The only thing I couldn't plan out was MNSSHP because I had no idea what to expect until I got there. And lack of planning made me irritable and cranky because the crowds were phenomenal that night. We missed a lot of stuff, since there is so much to see and do, but we went back last year, again with a plan of attack, but with whining kids that were "hot" and wanted to "go back to the hotel and swim". Are you kidding!!!!!!!!?????? I did not spend all this money to come to WDW to swim in the hotel pool..I can do that at home for much, much cheaper! So my husband and I forged on with them in tow, NO MATTER WHAT. MNSSHP was MUCH better 2nd time around since we knew what to expect and what to avoid. I know, crazy commando mom. This year, just my husband and I are going for our anniversary and my birthday, so we are planning to be a little more relaxed and less commando, but unfortunately, that just isn't something I think I can do. Oh well.......
dizcraze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #56
Fastcars
Mouseketeer

It has been couple years ago but on our last day at the World we wanted to go back and do all the things we enjoyed the most. This included all the major rides in all the parks. We started in AK did couple of attractions there. like the SAfari and Dinoland this was before EE. Drove back to the TTA rode monorail into MK and did the mountains there and maybe couple of the other attractions. OVer to Epcot on the monorail to ride TT and MS. There wasnt Soarin so we walked over to the International Gate and rode the boat over to DHS to do HTT and RNC. By this time we where all out of gas but did make it back to MK for the last fireworks show of the evening.
One of the best days of touring our little family of 4 every did.
ASMo 09-02
ASMo 09-03
POFQ-09-04
CBR-09-05
Off-site 09-06

Fastcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #57
Rekenna
DIS Veteran

I would love to be a Commando, unfortunately my family won't allow this. Although, I believe I have a kindred spirit in DS4, he walks around the whole time at WDW with his mouth open and doesn't speak most of the day.

I am a planner and do secretly Commandoize our day without family realizing.

Something I like to do is make my color spreadsheet shrink it down to pocket size and print on card stock, if you are really careful you can get it down to the size to fit in your lanyard pouch.

If I had my way I would not sleep at Disney, the beds aren't that comfortable anyway!

I try to buy autograph books and small toys for the boys at home before our trip-cheaper and saves time at the parks!

Getting ADR's before rope drop is good too, you can get into the parks before they open, eat and already be in the park while others are still at the entrance.

Having our own vehicle also helps with commandoing, I truly appreciate Disney's Bus Service-but we love our van.

Having your room really organized helps in the morning allowing you to get to RD extra early! Also, unless you need it to wake you up-take showers at night.

I really enjoy reading everyone's strategies, thanks for creating this post.
Rekenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #58
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekenna View Post
Something I like to do is make my color spreadsheet shrink it down to pocket size and print on card stock, if you are really careful you can get it down to the size to fit in your lanyard pouch.
I have been known to do this...as well as laminate the cards and put them on a ring...

(It's truly a sickness I know...)
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #59
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

One thing I do that might be crazy is, when I plan out the days events I list what I call Trophy's to pick up when around about the parks. I usally list around 10 a day, the more I collect during the day, the closer I am to completing everything planed.

My favorite Trophy's are pressed pennies, there is a website Presscoins.com that lists all the locations of the machines and the designs for each one (penny, quarter and there is now 1 Dime one)

Also I like to collect Transportation Trading Cards, they had these my last 2 trips, not sure if they still have them, my wife is there now so I should know soon. These are free a total of 18 altogether, it is hit and miss since it is a option for a Transportation CM to have them, but worth the venture. Most bus driver's had them, I found the best place to get the monorail ones was at the Epcot station & GF. You have to ask the CM if they have any, like I said it is a option for them so alot don't. If they have them they usally will give one to each child, but I have found some really cool CM's that will give you a few different ones.

I have managed to collect 2 full sets, it is a great keepsake, since you can't buy them in a store. I'll let you guys know in the next few days if they are still doing them, from DW

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 07-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #60
Rekenna
DIS Veteran

I forgot to mention, a true Commando must be in good shape. Make sure to practice walking before your trip. I always start in on my treadmill, when I have a hard time going I think of Disney and that helps with my workouts. In fact I need to start training right away, I will begin tomorrow!
Rekenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: