Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #796
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

The last pins I got were from pinderellas_castle. I think they're genuine.
Last lot are on their way from sleepys_emporium afaik

Also I used to get all my ebay pins from thewill and they were all brill none of the pins I got from them appear to be scrappers.. think they've stopped posting internationally now though
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #797
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover View Post
So I received my grab bag of 12 hidden mickey pins from sleeps_emporium today. I think I may have 4 scrappers in the mix but I just can't tell. I'll be really disappointed if 4 are fakes out of a lot of 12, but I don't want to contact the seller until I'm sure. I looked up each pin on pinpics to compare & see what they said about a possible scrapper. I'll post pics & a short description below.

Pin #1 - This pin looks to be lighter than the pic on pinpics & the back edges are rough.

Pin #2 - Not sure about this one. It's a hidden mickey but it's very, very faint in the top left corner almost like it used to be there & now it's gone. Also pinpics said something about the post on the back being raised and not as close to the pin as the real ones are. It is raised but I'm not sure how high they mean. I compared it to a pin I bought in the parks & that post is raised too (different pin though).

Pin #3 - I'm 99% positive this is a scrapper. The colors are faint & when you turn the pin over the stamp is upside down.

Pin #4 - Again I'm 99% sure this is also a scrapper. I thought this one was ok at 1st but after examining it closing I realized there is something off in the stamp on the back. Pinpics says the 'C' in Mickey is an 'O' on the scrapper version of this pin. It doesn't exactly look like an "O" but the "c" is not level with the rest of the font & sort of blends into the "i". I couldn't get a good pic of the back.

So what do you think? Should I contact sleeps_emporium & tell them these are scrappers & I want 4 new ones?

Thanks.
Pin 1, could you give us a bit closer up view of the logo on the back if possible? That would make it a bit easier. Or, compare the font of the year with other pins you have with the older style backstamp.

Pin 2, check for some dimples. Also, if the post is very close to the top, it probably is a scrapper. I have the orange one, and it's a scrapper. It has dimples all through it.

Pin 3, definite 100% scrapper. The real ones have the backstamp rightsideup. I have the scrapper version too.

Pin 4, not a clue.

Sleepys is going to give you an honest attempt at all real pins. They buy from personal collections etc so there will be scrappers. I got about 10 in a lot of 48. They are really good at shipping you new replacements or refunding you for those pins because they offer a 100% guarantee against scrappers. They told me, "at sleepys, you don't have to settle for scrappers"

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #798
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

I am interested in the Warhol pins, too. I thought pinpics mentioned something about the post being closer to the edge of the scrapper pin, as well.

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #799
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunner2009 View Post
I am interested in the Warhol pins, too. I thought pinpics mentioned something about the post being closer to the edge of the scrapper pin, as well.
I am also going to collect them

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #800
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountNittany View Post
Pin 1, could you give us a bit closer up view of the logo on the back if possible? That would make it a bit easier. Or, compare the font of the year with other pins you have with the older style backstamp.

Pin 2, check for some dimples. Also, if the post is very close to the top, it probably is a scrapper. I have the orange one, and it's a scrapper. It has dimples all through it.

Pin 3, definite 100% scrapper. The real ones have the backstamp rightsideup. I have the scrapper version too.

Pin 4, not a clue.

Sleepys is going to give you an honest attempt at all real pins. They buy from personal collections etc so there will be scrappers. I got about 10 in a lot of 48. They are really good at shipping you new replacements or refunding you for those pins because they offer a 100% guarantee against scrappers. They told me, "at sleepys, you don't have to settle for scrappers"
Here's a closer look at the back on pin #1. (Si face pin)

Here's another pic of pin #2. I don't see any dimples on it, but the post is really close to the top. I've never seen so much of the pin back stick up over a pin before. Also I've posted below it the picture from pinpics. Notice how visible & bright the hidden mickey is. Is it possible for them to wear off over time? I find that hard to believe since this is a 2010 release pin.

My pin

What the real pin should look like (courtesy of pinpics)

I'm pretty sure all 4 are scrappers, but I just don't want to go around accusing this seller & asking for a refund if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #801
MountNittany

Quote:

Here's another pic of pin #2. I don't see any dimples on it, but the post is really close to the top. I've never seen so much of the pin back stick up over a pin before. Also I've posted below it the picture from pinpics. Notice how visible & bright the hidden mickey is. Is it possible for them to wear off over time? I find that hard to believe since this is a 2010 release pin.

My pin

I'm pretty sure all 4 are scrappers, but I just don't want to go around accusing this seller & asking for a refund if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the picture... the Warhol ones are commonly scrapped, so I wouldn't doubt it...

I can't tell with pin 1... the font is just about the same as on my other pins, so I'm really not sure. You have the best call.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #802
Spiffie
Wishing to be in my happy place!!

Quote:

My pin

I am no expert, but let me tell you why I think the first pin is a scrapper. Do you see that extra little sliver of metal coming up from beside the post on the back? It is my experience that this is a sign of a scrapper. Most disney pins now come with the two little nubs on each side of the post that are actually on the back of the pin. I have a few pins that I purchased as a group and I KNOW they are scrappers and they also have that sliver.

I am also fairly certain #2 is a scrapper based entirely on the poor quality.

Of course, someone out there may have a different opinion than me.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #803
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffie View Post
I am no expert, but let me tell you why I think the first pin is a scrapper. Do you see that extra little sliver of metal coming up from beside the post on the back? It is my experience that this is a sign of a scrapper. Most disney pins now come with the two little nubs on each side of the post that are actually on the back of the pin. I have a few pins that I purchased as a group and I KNOW they are scrappers and they also have that sliver.

I am also fairly certain #2 is a scrapper based entirely on the poor quality.

Of course, someone out there may have a different opinion than me.

Good luck!
That's often a sign of a scrapper, but I have seen real pins with one nub coming off of the post like that.

Not saying this one is real

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #804
MountNittany

Example... I'm sure this pin is real

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #805
Spiffie
Wishing to be in my happy place!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountNittany View Post
That's often a sign of a scrapper, but I have seen real pins with one nub coming off of the post like that.

Not saying this one is real
See, it is becoming more and more difficult to tell. I have never seen that sliver on pins that I have purchased, but now that I know you have, it just makes the telling of scrappers even harder!

So far I have managed to continue to enjoy pin collecting, but I know plenty who have given it up because the scrappers are becoming more and more available.

I hate it when my fun gets ruined!!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #806
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffie View Post
See, it is becoming more and more difficult to tell. I have never seen that sliver on pins that I have purchased, but now that I know you have, it just makes the telling of scrappers even harder!

So far I have managed to continue to enjoy pin collecting, but I know plenty who have given it up because the scrappers are becoming more and more available.

I hate it when my fun gets ruined!!!!
I'm not as much worrying about the scrappers, I just won't add to the problem. As you said, it takes the fun away.

And I didn't buy that pin, I'm just 99.99% sure it's real.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #807
horselover

Quick update

I contacted sleepys_emporium & told them I was pretty sure those 4 were scrappers. They quickly replied they would take back the 4 scrappers & replace them with new ones. They also asked for pics of the good pins so I would not receive duplicates. Very nice to know they stand behind their sales. Definitely a seller I would do business with again despite the scrappers.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #808
GoofyRulez
Earning My Ears

Scrappers

I havent had time to go through all of the posts on this thread but I might have an eBay id to add to the pot. The guy (or girl) goes by the name of ygpins. I purchsed an order from them. I paid $30 for 50 pins. All were in individual plastic baggies. The emblems on the back are difficult to read. I gave this sellar a negative feedback and he said that these were 100% tradeable. He offered me my money back. Which I refused. He also said that he wanted to have me recind my negative feedback. I said NO WAY!!
According to his profile, he lives in Canada. The pins shipped directly from CHINA. Haven't decided what to do with these pins yet. Any suggestions?

GoofyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #809
horselover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyRulez View Post
I havent had time to go through all of the posts on this thread but I might have an eBay id to add to the pot. The guy (or girl) goes by the name of ygpins. I purchsed an order from them. I paid $30 for 50 pins. All were in individual plastic baggies. The emblems on the back are difficult to read. I gave this sellar a negative feedback and he said that these were 100% tradeable. He offered me my money back. Which I refused. He also said that he wanted to have me recind my negative feedback. I said NO WAY!!
According to his profile, he lives in Canada. The pins shipped directly from CHINA. Haven't decided what to do with these pins yet. Any suggestions?
I will leave the opinions on the pins to the experts on this thread, but to me it's sounds like they could be scrappers. I'm confused though if the seller offered you a refund why would you say no? If you don't want the pins & don't think they're tradable what other option do you really have except throw them away or get your money back? I understand you're trying to warn others about a bad seller & that's admirable but it seems to be at your own expense. I'm not sure what else the seller can do for you except offer you a refund which they did. I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #810
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyRulez View Post
Sound a lot like scrappers. If you compare the logos on the back to other Disney pins you have, you can easily (sometimes not so easily) tell if they are scrappers.

I would have accepted the refund and either left neutral or negative feedback, depending on how much of a pain the seller was. For example, realfastpins called me a vulgar name in an eBay message, and I left negative feedback. She actually never shipped my item, so I used resolution center anyways.

LET'S GO PENS!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: