Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #46
egritz
Never too old for Disney!

I haven't been very impressed with Sit-Down Dining at either WDW or DL. And in WDW we did go to some nice restaurants in various parks & resorts.

When in DL, we usually stay on Harbour at the Ramada Maingate & will go to Tony Roma's at least twice as their food is MUCH cheaper than the restaurants inside DL and so much better. Typical chain restaurant food, but much better, IMO, than anything inside DL (I can't stand Blue Bayou, yuck). Also if time & aching muscles permit we will try to hit Mimi's for breakfast on a day that we aren't going to the park for opening.
May 2009 - WDW w/ DH, Wilderness Lodge
September 2009 - DL w/ DH Ramada Maingate (no pics, DH was sick!)
June 2010 - DL w/ family Disneyland Hotel
June 2012 - DL w/ family Fairfield Mariott (DD's 1st trip at 14 months!)
April 2013 - w/ in-laws (their first trip) & DD2, Residence Inn (South Clementine)
December 2013 - first Christmas trip!!! with my parents & DD 2 1/2. Anabella Hotel
November 2014 - Last minute trip w/ DH, DD3, DS-4 months, Peacock Suites
egritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #47
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

I like the overall quantity and diversity of dining options at WDW much better than DLR. However, the overall food quality at both is fine - IMO. Obviously everyone is different - but I am consistently satisfied with the food quality at both resorts. What I find lacking at DLR is the theming you get at many of the WDW restaurants.

Are the food prices high? Yes, they are more expensive. Same thing as at professional sports stadiums and arenas, ski locations, and other theme parks.

If you are really looking to follow a budget then DLR offers better (closer) options offsite. In the past we always tried to budget and not eat very much inside DLR. This is the Disneyland vet's mentaility - namely, that sitting down to eat at DLR is a waste of time and money.

My visits to WDW taught me that the overall Disney experience can be enhanced by dining at Disney - especially the table service places. So I have left my DLR mentality far behind. This trip in a couple weeks we are going overboard with Disney dining. I hope to hit at least eight places at DLR - only two of which we have eaten at before.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #48
heatherleigh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I sometimes think that DLR is a theme park and it servers typical theme park type food. I am luckeyto have had the chance to eat a different places all over the world and at fancy places and scummy places. When people compare the $$ that the food costs vs Bob's Big Boy (or In and Out)or what ever, it will never equal up. I dislike Hungrey Bear, could never get a reasonable tasting hamburger, love PWC, simple fresh food.
This is true. I am guilty of basing many of my choices on the bad reviews I've read here on the DIS. Blue Bayou and Ariel's Grotto are two off the top of my head. Who knows, maybe we will give them a chance on our next trip. My daughter is really into princesses, and I've read some good reviews on BB as well.

Hungry Bear is just plain awful, which I know from experience. I'm not picky, and we wound up throwing all our untouched food in the garbage.
AK Trip Report 6/10: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2501164
heatherleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #49
Funball
DIS Veteran

y anyone eats at hungrybear is beyond me! lol..

i have never eaten at Areils i have no need to i don't have kids, BUT i have heard that it 's good the price is reasonable for a 3 course meal, but i also heard bad things about it too..

i heard bad things about UVA, but i ate there and i loved the french onion soup.
Funball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #50
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

I haven't been to Hungry Bear in a few years. I do remember enjoying my burgers there in the past. I wonder if they are different now. I think it's going to be closed while we're there anyway.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #51
goingquackers
Mouseketeer

I am was not concerned about the selection as much as the quality of food and the care the chefs take it preparing it.

I am surprised at you guys. “its theme park food” is not acceptable..lol, they are charging a lot of money for the food they offer. A $35-$40 meal at Disneyland should be the same quality as a $15 meal in the real world, but sadly it is not.

Theme park food doesn’t have to be bad. A few examples I can think of are Dollywood and silver dollar city. Even WDW is able to provide good quality (not quantity) food.

I have to add, the Mexican counter service in DCA got it right! Big thumbs down to the WOC dinning at Wine Country…It was the absolute worst food I tasted. It’s almost as if they were trying to create bad food on purpose.
goingquackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #52
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingquackers View Post
I am was not concerned about the selection as much as the quality of food and the care the chefs take it preparing it.

I am surprised at you guys. “its theme park food” is not acceptable..lol, they are charging a lot of money for the food they offer. A $35-$40 meal at Disneyland should be the same quality as a $15 meal in the real world, but sadly it is not.

Theme park food doesn’t have to be bad. A few examples I can think of are Dollywood and silver dollar city. Even WDW is able to provide good quality (not quantity) food.

I have to add, the Mexican counter service in DCA got it right! Big thumbs down to the WOC dinning at Wine Country…It was the absolute worst food I tasted. It’s almost as if they were trying to create bad food on purpose.
...Yet, at the same time, there are other folks who don't like the Mexican eateries in DLR because they feel it is bland and generic and an insult to authentic Mexican cooking (you are referring to Cocina Cucamonga, I think). I've never eaten at CC or at RDZ in DL because I don't like Mexican food to begin with, so I couldn't compare. But to each his own.

I don't personally think the DLR food is "good for theme park food." I think it's good all the way around, period. The things I eat are good...to me. I'm satisfied with what I eat at DLR.

I'm curious to know - if you can remember, what did you order/eat at each place? Or even some of the places (I know your trip was long)? I wonder if you ate any of the dishes that are otherwise considered pretty popular among our DIS-ers here or if you had other things that aren't commonly talked about.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #53
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's really subjective, I think.

I, personally, didn't think the quality of food at WDW was any better than Disneyland. Counter service was about the same, if not worse for me, than Disneyland.

Can't really compare the Table Service places since we don't waste our time with that much at either park. I do think the WORST meal I've had on Disney property was at WDW. (Coral Reef, if anyone is interested.) Can't say I've had any experiences at Disneyland that are equal to the terribleness of that meal.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #54
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
I like the overall quantity and diversity of dining options at WDW much better than DLR. However, the overall food quality at both is fine - IMO. Obviously everyone is different - but I am consistently satisfied with the food quality at both resorts. What I find lacking at DLR is the theming you get at many of the WDW restaurants.

Are the food prices high? Yes, they are more expensive. Same thing as at professional sports stadiums and arenas, ski locations, and other theme parks.

If you are really looking to follow a budget then DLR offers better (closer) options offsite. In the past we always tried to budget and not eat very much inside DLR. This is the Disneyland vet's mentaility - namely, that sitting down to eat at DLR is a waste of time and money.

My visits to WDW taught me that the overall Disney experience can be enhanced by dining at Disney - especially the table service places. So I have left my DLR mentality far behind. This trip in a couple weeks we are going overboard with Disney dining. I hope to hit at least eight places at DLR - only two of which we have eaten at before.
looking forward to your report!
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #55
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

I have to agree with Hungry Bear...the last time I hate there was 1999, and at the time I swore it would be the last time and it has been. Now I do still go there but only to use the rest rooms.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #56
Funball
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

…well ok but not evreryone has been to WDW, well at least I haven’t so I really can’t compare the two as far as food. But in that case, I can compare DLR and DCA, and to me DCA has the best tasting food. DLR has the best tasting snacks, an more pretzel stands, CC is better then RDZ….etc.. I am a long time cheerleader for Wine country Tratt., never have I had bad service or food. You might of just had a off day.
Funball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #57
disneymom23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post
Can't really compare the Table Service places since we don't waste our time with that much at either park. I do think the WORST meal I've had on Disney property was at WDW. (Coral Reef, if anyone is interested.) Can't say I've had any experiences at Disneyland that are equal to the terribleness of that meal.
We had a horrible meal at Coral Reef as well. We've only been to WDW once, 4 years ago but I still remember what a waste of money that meal was. We are happy with the food at DL. We keep going back to the same places, so we must be OK with them.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #58
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom23 View Post
We had a horrible meal at Coral Reef as well. We've only been to WDW once, 4 years ago but I still remember what a waste of money that meal was. We are happy with the food at DL. We keep going back to the same places, so we must be OK with them.
I'm glad we weren't the only ones! Everyone seems to rave about that place so we were looking forward to it. But even with our lunch ADR we ended up having to wait 30 minutes. We were seated by the tank which was nice for a view. But it meant kids kept coming over to our table to look at fish. Their parents were no where in sight. One kid was climbing on the ledge and he ended up kicking me in the back! I ordered a salad but I didn't like the dressing. Oh, and the server dropped half of it on the floor/our table before giving it to me (he had to go back and get a new salad.) My husband didn't like his food either.

The creme brulee was good though.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #59
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy from Boise View Post
looking forward to your report!
I am also. Maybe a comparison between european dining and DLR/WDW. Price vs quality?

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #60
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

I've never eaten at Coral Reef in WDW, but I've always avoided it because I've always read HORRIBLE reviews!!

But we did eat at Hungry Bear twice - I didn't know about the animosity for that place!! I got the chicken Caesar both times, and it was okay. DH's burger tasted fine. I liked that they did have a healthy kid's pack there, too. Overall, our experience there was about the same as it was at any of the other CS places in DLR.

To me, the biggest difference I saw with WDW vs DLR COUNTER service was that DLR did seem to have options other than burger and fries. Last summer, we made it our mission at WDW to not eat burger and fries on that trip, and we made it all the way to the last day. At DLR, this was much easier and much tastier to do. And my DD is very picky and doesn't eat burgers, so the aforementioned meal (I think it was called a Power Pack) was great for her - Goldfish, yogurt, string cheese and something else I don't remember, but she actually would eat. Even at TS with Ariel's Grotto, the kid's meals were served with a heaping portion of grapes, and I loved that.

A few people have mentioned that they go to the parks for the attractions, not the food. Well, so do we. But with WDW, it's just a different mindset, and it's hard to shake everything off when going to DLR. When we go to WDW, we stay on property, and Disney shuttles us to and from the airport. We are stuck on property, in our case anywhere from 5 - 7 days straight. You can't really walk off property and actually get to anything in any reasonable way. You are stuck eating their food 24/7 unless you have a car, get groceries delivered or take a taxi. That automatically makes it more than 'theme park food' - it's what I'm eating whether I'm in a park or not; it's more of a resort setting. With the advent of WDW's dining plan several years ago and the necessity of having ADRs for every TS meal, well, you end up planning your days around where you have ADRs that day. ADR at Le Cellier for lunch? Well, you're at Epcot that day. ADR for Liberty Tree Tavern? Then you're at the Magic Kingdom. The food at WDW thus becomes part of the whole Disney experience. And unless you just don't care about food and do nothing but eat CS meals your entire stay, well, it's a big deal.

So when WDW vets come to DLR, we may know in our heads that it's a totally different experience and we shouldn't compare. We stayed at GCH, and we really didn't feel like driving anywhere to eat on our park days. The restaurants on the other side of Harbor right near the gates weren't up our alley (I don't like Mimi's, for example). So we did want to have a few TS meals during our stay. I did find the food, on the whole, to be better than average. Just like how you can't compare Disney hotels to outside hotels of the same price, you can't compare Disney restaurants to outside restaurants of the same price. I walk in knowing full well how this system works and what prices to expect. But yes, dining was still important to me, even though I knew it wasn't the same ballgame as to my typical experience. When it comes to TS, I never consider it just to be 'theme park food.'

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: