Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #781
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...
 
MountNittany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
THANKS much! Of course, the first post in this thread is pretty helpful. I get so easily overwhelmed. Sometimes I just need info distilled or I'll go on overload. It stinks to be losing one's mental faculties at 40.
Thanks
Like pixie said, check pinpics for possible scrappers, and check this list. Although it is not completely accurate, we try our best. I have found that most individual pins are not scrappers, with few exceptions. There may be a seller that sells scrappers but takes the time to list them all individually. Or, the seller may be selling 99.99% real pins, but that one scrapper gets through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
here's a little spot the possible scrapper question for those of you that know more about them than me.. I got another three pins today.. One I believe is genuine the other two I question. Basically had all three of the pins already but wanted some to trade in parks so got doubles so I wouldn't be tempted to keep them but then:

Both have gold backs, The darker pluto has waffle design with pin trading 2002 mickey head and @ disney made in chine in box underneath on back
The yellow one has plain gold back with pin trading 2008 and @disney china in box underneath...
Both actually have glossy finish and no rough edges or anything... Is one of them a scrapper or possibly just a different later version of similar pin?


Colour isn't 100% on that pic from the scanner but you can see one is a brighter shade of pink than the other.
The darker pin is slight rougher at the bottom and for some reason looks bigger even though they are same size face to face.
On back both are silver with same info Hidden mickey pin 1 of 5 in rectangle, mickey head pin trading 2008 underneath and beside that rectangle with @disney china
Only difference I see is rectangle with disney appears slightly longer on darker pin.
Brighter pink also has slight dips in the face that can only be noticed holding the pin at a certain angle

So are any of those scrappers do you think?
They could be... but Disney seriously has low quality control. I know both are possible scrappers, because I had both as scrappers at some point. The best way that I have found to identify scrappers is to compare the official logo between rack pins you bought at the park, and the pins you question (of course, keep in mind new/old backstamp). The font should be exactly the same (sometimes older pins have a slightly different font), and the logo should look the same. If you could post a close up picture of the official logo, we could probably have a good idea.
__________________

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #782
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountNittany View Post
Thanks
Like pixie said, check pinpics for possible scrappers, and check this list. Although it is not completely accurate, we try our best. I have found that most individual pins are not scrappers, with few exceptions. There may be a seller that sells scrappers but takes the time to list them all individually. Or, the seller may be selling 99.99% real pins, but that one scrapper gets through.
When it doubt, start at the beginning right?

Good tips there and here. I never buy more than 1 at a time and tho it can still be fake, as mentioned, if they allow returns then that's a pretty good indicator that it's worth the risk. THANKS!!! I already have my esnipe bid a-waitin' to bid. Haven't bought a pin in about 9 months. Happy trading guys!
__________________
ME-Stephanie (43) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS6)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip



ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #783
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyRunner2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not near enough.
Posts: 1,734

I would like some input from everyone on this thread. What do you think about ebay seller starwars-weekends-2010. He has pins on cards for $1.19. Do these seem legit or scrappers on the black cards? Thanks for your help.
__________________
Blog: http://www.dashing2disney.blogspot.comTwitter:@dashing2disney
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu Princess Half-Marathon,
8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 resort with best AP discount

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #784
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
here's a little spot the possible scrapper question for those of you that know more about them than me.. I got another three pins today.. One I believe is genuine the other two I question. Basically had all three of the pins already but wanted some to trade in parks so got doubles so I wouldn't be tempted to keep them but then:

Both have gold backs, The darker pluto has waffle design with pin trading 2002 mickey head and @ disney made in chine in box underneath on back
The yellow one has plain gold back with pin trading 2008 and @disney china in box underneath...
Both actually have glossy finish and no rough edges or anything... Is one of them a scrapper or possibly just a different later version of similar pin?


Colour isn't 100% on that pic from the scanner but you can see one is a brighter shade of pink than the other.
The darker pin is slight rougher at the bottom and for some reason looks bigger even though they are same size face to face.
On back both are silver with same info Hidden mickey pin 1 of 5 in rectangle, mickey head pin trading 2008 underneath and beside that rectangle with @disney china
Only difference I see is rectangle with disney appears slightly longer on darker pin.
Brighter pink also has slight dips in the face that can only be noticed holding the pin at a certain angle

So are any of those scrappers do you think?
They DO re-release pins, they will change the backstamps and re-release the EXACT same pin so it's possible that could be the case with your Pluto. The Mickey heads are known to have scrappers, I have the set but I'm pretty sure some of mine aren't "real". I just made the choice not to care on those and put the set up on my cork board. And people say the divets (or slight dips) mean fake but they don't really.....I have some that I bought straight from PT Flea in DCA and they have divets in them...
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #785
maburke
DIS Veteran
 
maburke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,220

Okay, I've now read the entire thread, and am ready to post. (Though I have to admit that I tried logging into the Dis with my ebay username, I've been so focussed there!)

First, I'd like to thank pixiewings71, MountNittany, and all the others who have put so much time into this thread, and even their own money to check out sellers when they know they're likely to get junk. When I first heard about scrappers (right after I returned from my recent trip where my daughter got into trading for the first time), I didn't want to care -- I liked going the cheap way and figured if I couldn't tell a scrapper, what difference did it make? But then I was organizing the pins I got on my last trip, and found that one of the pins in a set I had just been so pleased to complete with a trade with a cast member on my last day was an obvious, embarrassingly bad fake. (it says 4 of 6, instead of 4 of 5!!) I also now remember a trade my 6-year old daughter made with a cm who clearly knew his pins, where he pocketed the pin my daughter traded to him, and not with a convincing look when he said he was "saving it.".

I can understand the feelings of some people who have posted who think the magic will be diminished if they find they have scrappers among their collection, or have to carry a magnifying glass in the parks. But here's a simple suggestion that will go a long way: just DON'T BUY those giant, cheap lots from the known (red) sellers. You CAN get good pins for under $2 plus shipping to trade from the green sellers if you take a little time and care. You may get an occasional scrapper that has slipped through, or you may trade for a scrapper from a cm. But if the scrappers can't make a killing by selling these giant lots, they'll stop doing it, and THAT will diminish the problem.

Thanks for reading my thoughts.
__________________
Meghan & DH & ds 17 ds 14 (both with autism) dd 10



1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #786
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.
 
horselover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountNittany View Post
I never pay attention to feedback, the mass populace does not even know about scrappers, or if they do they are too afraid to leave negative feedback. And I have not dealt with him, but he looks a little iffy. I notice a few pins I have recently received scrappers of, but they could be legit too.
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering a custom 12 pin grab bag of hidden mickey pins from sleepys_emporium. I haven't received them yet but I'll let you know how they are. I mostly just needed some new pins to trade. I like most of the pins I currently have too much to give them away. I don't however want to be responsible for putting more scrappers out there. After reading all the info here I'm going to carefully examine all my pins when we go down in Aug. I keep my pins & lanyard in my owner's locker. Don't know what I'll do if I find out I have some scrappers. I guess I'll just keep them anyway.

Will post again when my new pins arrive.
__________________
horselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #787
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...
 
MountNittany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunner2009 View Post
I would like some input from everyone on this thread. What do you think about ebay seller starwars-weekends-2010. He has pins on cards for $1.19. Do these seem legit or scrappers on the black cards? Thanks for your help.
I'd probably trust the individual pins he is selling, but probably not the lot. You never know, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
And people say the divets (or slight dips) mean fake but they don't really.....I have some that I bought straight from PT Flea in DCA and they have divets in them...
VERY low quality control
Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
When I first heard about scrappers (right after I returned from my recent trip where my daughter got into trading for the first time), I didn't want to care -- I liked going the cheap way and figured if I couldn't tell a scrapper, what difference did it make? But then I was organizing the pins I got on my last trip, and found that one of the pins in a set I had just been so pleased to complete with a trade with a cast member on my last day was an obvious, embarrassingly bad fake. (it says 4 of 6, instead of 4 of 5!!) I also now remember a trade my 6-year old daughter made with a cm who clearly knew his pins, where he pocketed the pin my daughter traded to him, and not with a convincing look when he said he was "saving it.".

I can understand the feelings of some people who have posted who think the magic will be diminished if they find they have scrappers among their collection, or have to carry a magnifying glass in the parks. But here's a simple suggestion that will go a long way: just DON'T BUY those giant, cheap lots from the known (red) sellers. You CAN get good pins for under $2 plus shipping to trade from the green sellers if you take a little time and care. You may get an occasional scrapper that has slipped through, or you may trade for a scrapper from a cm. But if the scrappers can't make a killing by selling these giant lots, they'll stop doing it, and THAT will diminish the problem. Have fun buying pins!

Thanks for reading my thoughts.
Excellent post! I agree completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering a custom 12 pin grab bag of hidden mickey pins from sleepys_emporium. I haven't received them yet but I'll let you know how they are. I mostly just needed some new pins to trade. I like most of the pins I currently have too much to give them away. I don't however want to be responsible for putting more scrappers out there. After reading all the info here I'm going to carefully examine all my pins when we go down in Aug. I keep my pins & lanyard in my owner's locker. Don't know what I'll do if I find out I have some scrappers. I guess I'll just keep them anyway.

Will post again when my new pins arrive.
I hated buying from them, because I ended up keeping half of my "traders" because I liked them so much
__________________

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #788
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!
 
petals's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,845

here's the pics of the backs of those pins to see if anyone can identitfy whether they're real or scrappers



petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #789
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...
 
MountNittany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
here's the pics of the backs of those pins to see if anyone can identitfy whether they're real or scrappers



It's really difficult to tell...

Has anyone ever seen the Walt Disney Script Disney Copyright on the back?
__________________

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #790
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,260

Well without seeing the pins Petals I would say your Pluto pins are both real...but only because they "rack" pins and they do re-release those all.the.time.......

Yes Mt Nittany, low QC but these were LE's in a mystery tin so you couldn't look and you can't return them after you've opened them. And they look great in every way except if you turn them a certain way you can see the divets.....

Thank You maburke, we appreciate your kind words. And we appreciate your input and feedback, I hope you stick around.
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #791
daisy 'n donald
Mouseketeer
 
daisy 'n donald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 139

hi!
i want to thank you for the recommendations for sellers....i contacted pinderellas_castle and was quoted a good price for 50 trader pins...
they just arrived today (i think they were mailed out tuesday?)
they're great! from what i can tell, they look legit to me (i have a scrapper i traded for unknowingly last time so i compared it to that....)
out of the 50, there's only about a dozen we like and want to keep
now we're re-thinking if 50 is enough.....we went through about 30 in 2 days last time (we just counted up how many we have) so now we're not sure if 50 is enough for 6 days....but we have plenty of time to figure it out...
just wanted to say pinderella's castle should stay in the green!
__________________
'97 CBR- hs band trip
'01 off site- college graduation trip!
'08 AllStarSports- engaged!
'10 AllStarSports- 1year anniv!
'12 AllStarSports- babymoon
'14 CBR- baby's frist trip to wdw! 5 year anniv!

dh(38) me(35) :baby girl (1.5)

daisy 'n donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #792
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me
 
surfergirl602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wherever the Army sends us, The World
Posts: 3,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy 'n donald View Post
hi!
i want to thank you for the recommendations for sellers....i contacted pinderellas_castle and was quoted a good price for 50 trader pins...
they just arrived today (i think they were mailed out tuesday?)
they're great! from what i can tell, they look legit to me (i have a scrapper i traded for unknowingly last time so i compared it to that....)
out of the 50, there's only about a dozen we like and want to keep
now we're re-thinking if 50 is enough.....we went through about 30 in 2 days last time (we just counted up how many we have) so now we're not sure if 50 is enough for 6 days....but we have plenty of time to figure it out...
just wanted to say pinderella's castle should stay in the green!
we'd go through 50 in about a day. lol We usually trade a couple of hundred (maybe 2-300?) during our 10 day trips. But then again, there's also 5 of us that trade...
__________________
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #793
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!
 
petals's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,845

Thanks for the info guys. I just got concerned if ya like over them *** one pluto was yellow compared to the one i had being a golden colour closer to the colour one would expect pluto to be.
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #794
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy 'n donald View Post
hi!
i want to thank you for the recommendations for sellers....i contacted pinderellas_castle and was quoted a good price for 50 trader pins...
they just arrived today (i think they were mailed out tuesday?)
they're great! from what i can tell, they look legit to me (i have a scrapper i traded for unknowingly last time so i compared it to that....)
out of the 50, there's only about a dozen we like and want to keep
now we're re-thinking if 50 is enough.....we went through about 30 in 2 days last time (we just counted up how many we have) so now we're not sure if 50 is enough for 6 days....but we have plenty of time to figure it out...
just wanted to say pinderella's castle should stay in the green!
Sweet! I'm glad Pindy came thru for you! I've only had great experiences with her. We easily go thru 2-300 pins a week too. For our weekend (think Sat-Sun only) trips I would take at least 100 pins...but we have 4 traders so keep that in mind. When we went for our longer trips (7 days) we took 2-300 pins and sometimes we ran out! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I just got concerned if ya like over them *** one pluto was yellow compared to the one i had being a golden colour closer to the colour one would expect pluto to be.
Well that's very true, but if they were made in different years it could account for the difference. Disney does that a lot, they like to mess with you like that......lol
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #795
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.
 
horselover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,947

Need help from the experts

So I received my grab bag of 12 hidden mickey pins from sleeps_emporium today. I think I may have 4 scrappers in the mix but I just can't tell. I'll be really disappointed if 4 are fakes out of a lot of 12, but I don't want to contact the seller until I'm sure. I looked up each pin on pinpics to compare & see what they said about a possible scrapper. I'll post pics & a short description below.


Pin #1 - This pin looks to be lighter than the pic on pinpics & the back edges are rough.


Pin #2 - Not sure about this one. It's a hidden mickey but it's very, very faint in the top left corner almost like it used to be there & now it's gone. Also pinpics said something about the post on the back being raised and not as close to the pin as the real ones are. It is raised but I'm not sure how high they mean. I compared it to a pin I bought in the parks & that post is raised too (different pin though).


Pin #3 - I'm 99% positive this is a scrapper. The colors are faint & when you turn the pin over the stamp is upside down.


Pin #4 - Again I'm 99% sure this is also a scrapper. I thought this one was ok at 1st but after examining it closing I realized there is something off in the stamp on the back. Pinpics says the 'C' in Mickey is an 'O' on the scrapper version of this pin. It doesn't exactly look like an "O" but the "c" is not level with the rest of the font & sort of blends into the "i". I couldn't get a good pic of the back.



So what do you think? Should I contact sleeps_emporium & tell them these are scrappers & I want 4 new ones?

Thanks.
__________________
horselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trading Pins from Ebay DaveStroem Disney Collectors Board 478 02-05-2013 12:40 PM
Pin Display Eeyore's Buddy Disney Collectors Board 12 06-25-2010 12:59 PM
Pin collecting? mickey&minnie04 Disney Collectors Board 13 04-20-2010 12:14 AM
Free Dining Pin for December! ashleyd725@hotmail.c Budget Board 24 06-28-2009 08:20 AM
Got our 1st PIN code!!!! disneyfreak7 Disney Discount Codes and Rates 1 06-25-2009 04:38 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: