Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

I'm sure this is a common disappointment among WDW vets. From what I've heard, food is an intricate part of the WDW experience. For DLR, it isn't. Many are there for shorter trips and aren't concerned with experiencing a wide variety of food, or anything more than a quick meal. I could see someone getting bored and underwhelmed with eating at DLR for 10 days...most are only there for 3-5 days.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
I'm sure this is a common disappointment among WDW vets. From what I've heard, food is an intricate part of the WDW experience. For DLR, it isn't. Many are there for shorter trips and aren't concerned with experiencing a wide variety of food, or anything more than a quick meal. I could see someone getting bored and underwhelmed with eating at DLR for 10 days...most are only there for 3-5 days.
I have to agree with this. I love eating at the different places(can't imagine SS55 being bad), but it is not the reason we go. There suely isn't enough variety in food choices. Never have been to WDW and probably will never make it so I can not compare, just never have been on an eating vacation. If you ever go to London, go to Ramsey's on the Thames or NY, Lugers steakhouse, but expect to pay for quality cooking.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #18
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

I agree the quality isn't quite there yet but I do think there are some good restaurants.....
Plaza Inn (Great chicken and good portions)
Rancho del ZoCalo - Good mexican
Riverbelle Terrace - Good Sandwiches and Great Breakfast
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

I don't agree. Then again, we don't really do TS places at DLR or WDW. Too much time is wasted. Plus, no Disney park really has quality food. All Disney food is overpriced for what you get. If I want a good meal, I can go out to a ton of great restaurants in my home town. So I don't really care too much about food at any Disney park.

I will say, counter service and DLR and WDW is pretty comparable. However, I have some favorites at DLR that are "must haves" for me where there are no "must haves" for me at WDW.

The only TS place at WDW I like is Restaurant Marakkesh. The rest I've been to definitely did NOT live up to the hype (especially not Coral 'yuck' Reef.)

I don't do TS at Disneyland.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
Funball
DIS Veteran

If it makes you feel any better OP, i didn't really like story tellers! i didn't think that it was worth the money
Funball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
ChickenCarlos
"Shift yer cargo dearie, show 'em your larboard side."
YAY, at least someone out there has a sense of humor

I love the food at Disneyland, it is one of my favorite things about disneyland, oh man just thinking about the Monte Cristo makes my mouth water, i have also had great food at Wine Country trattoria and Pacific wharf cafe, i love there sonoma apple salad, one of my favorites. also the Blue cheese burger from Taste pilots. overall i love the food at Disneyland, not the Best in the world but definitely something to look forward too.
ChickenCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
Funball
DIS Veteran

omg did u say taste pilots grill?? ooooo you are my new best friend carlos!!

i love the blue cheese burger also and taste pilots grill and WCT!!!!! mmm a panini and a prosecco sound so good right now
Funball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #23
ChickenCarlos
"Shift yer cargo dearie, show 'em your larboard side."
YAY, at least someone out there has a sense of humor

i love the alfredo lasanga, OMG what a great idea, the meatball sandwhich with extra marina, man my mouth is watering.
ChickenCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

I have to add that Disneyland food is still way better than some of the food I've had at other theme parks - for the same price. Six Flags is just as pricey, and the food isn't nearly as good - in my opinion of course ... I know everyone has different tastes. Not everything is spectacular but there are things that I just absolutely love and I can't say that about any other theme park I've visited (Various 6 Flags, Universal Studios, Sea World, Great America, Raging Waters, etc.)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
Flitterific
DIS Veteran

I agree that Napa Rose is the best restaurant at DLR so it's a shame that you didn't get to try it. I have never been to WDW so I don't have anything to compare but I think that the food at DLR isn't that bad. I think it depends on when you go (i.e. for which meal) and what you order. It helps to read other people's reviews of the food before going.

However, I am surprised that you didn't like Cafe Orleans because that is one of my favorite sit-down restaurants at the parks. Their gumbo and pomme frites are super yum! I also find the food at Goofy's Kitchen pretty decent...the had a huge selection of items both time I went (breakfast/brunch). Anyway, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your dining experiences at DLR but I hope you had a fun trip anyway!
Flitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I didn't much like Minnie's breakfast, and I don't much care for Blue Bayou's one vegetarian option, but other than that I'm good with Disneyland restaurants. Especially love dinner at PCH Grill.

So I guess I feel the opposite way. NOt that I think it's the best ever, but I'm OK giving them money.
I have had many mediocre meals at PPH, but I am a serious fan of the Cream of Mushroom soup that they have. Can you say YUM!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #27
tink53
Earning My Ears

I agree. Every time we shell out money for a character meal we feel cheated by the lack of good food. I usually stick with Blue Bayou during lunch so I can get my Monte Cristo since I know it's always good!
tink53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #28
momtotwolittleones
Mouseketeer

I am a self professed foodie snob, so yes, I agree with you, I think that most of the sit down food is horrible. Goofy's Kitchen was one of the worst breakfasts I've ever had. I prefer to eat from the stands - I kind of like the veggie gumbo, and or the Bengal BBQ. I think the best sit down food is the Mexican place inside the park, but even that is so so.
momtotwolittleones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #29
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I think it is all OK, some a little less than OK and some a little more than OK. I didn't really like Napa Rose, but I think I need to try it again. Steakhouse 55 is very nice, love the corndogs, fresh churros, Riverbelle Terrace, ribs at Taste Pilot. No..they aren't gourmet, but they are tasty and really not ridiculously priced. I live in an area where you can't cross the street without hitting a Mexican restaurant, and most of the others are chain or local basic food. So, although I love foodie shows and such, finding foddie food isn't so easy. I see food at DLR as a little treat, but not something to plan a trip around. Most of the time, I don't go to a TS place the whole time I'm there. Eating in WDW seems much more of a hassle where you have to sweat PS and planning to get to that park at that time.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #30
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Not everyone is into restaurants like Napa Rose, so to say it's the best restaurant is subjective. There are lots of foodies, self-professed food snobs and people who want gourmet dining, so to those folks perhaps Napa Rose is the best. Other people I know think the best place to eat is Pink's Hot Dogs on La Brea out here in L.A., or The Gumbo Pot counter service place at the Farmers Market. It's all subjective.

Like Laurie (DizNee Luver) said earlier about her family, I'm a simple girl. I don't need fine dining or gourmet food. I will be happy with a hearty breakfast, and any meal that tastes good to me after that is what I consider good. Honestly, I have no interest in ever eating at Napa Rose because that type of food holds no appeal for me at all. I really don't even care for Blue Bayou - I love the atmosphere, of course, but the menu is too limited and I am pickier in what I like to eat to where the BB doesn't offer enough options for my taste buds.

Outside of DLR, give me a nice bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, a nice chicken dish, a nice pizza or a juicy burger and I'm happy! Inside DLR - and that includes DTD - I find many things that I like to eat at a variety of places, and eating at those places is truly a part of my whole enjoyment of going to DLR. Maybe prior to 1990 or so, I would eat the cardboard food at DL just to get some sustenance, and was bland and very much what I would expect for amusement park fare. Since 1991 or so, when DLR improved its food tremendously, dining has become a big part of my enjoyment in my trips now! I haven't had anything anywhere at DLR that I would say is even close to the worst meal I've ever had. I can't even think of the worst meal I've ever had at the moment, but I know it wasn't at DLR.

I love Goofy's Kitchen - it's my favorite place to eat in DLR (and has been for 17-18 years), and I would even eat there without the characters!! So, again, it all boils down to personal tastes, preferences, expectations, perspective...and what you're used to.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: