Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig82174 View Post
Wonderful new installment! My partner, like you, is disappointed that we won't get to see Pompeii----but I'm glad to see that your experience in Naples was wonderful even withOUT a trip to Pompeii. (And this might seem an ignorant question....you'll know I know nothing about the geography of the area....but I assume that even had you booked your own private touring experience in the afternoon during your free time before All Aboard that you could not have made it to Pompeii to visit "on your own"? Or do you think that's still possible/feasible?)

I have a general question about the ABD experience----did they give you your full itinerary including meet times and locations at the beginning? Or did they give you that information from day to day? And do they remind you throughout the trip about the attire requirements? (For some reason I seem to recall that there is a dress code at least for the Vatican/Sistine Chapel and maybe for other ports, as well----is that the case?)

So sorry that Animator's didn't live up to your expectations. That is, by far, our favorite place to eat onboard the ship. We are complete disneyphiles so being surrounded by all the character imagery and art and the soundtrack of familiar disney tunes is enough to keep me/us happy----but that restaurant and show have a special place for us, too. We've been DCL cruisers for quite a long time and actually the first time we ever sailed aboard the Wonder we knew very little about the ships themselves (that was way before we discovered the wonderful DIS)---so we went into Animator's the first time we ate there only knowing the very basic description that comes in the DCL literature----and that was back when it was still "state of the art" (I recognize that for many it seems far less impressive now)...so we were very entertained and excited by the show!
I'm going to say that going to Pompeii on your own *after* the ABD excursion is not easily feasible. (But you may want to ask the Guides to make sure). Pompeii is more than half way from Naples to Sorrento. But the thing is, you don't go back to Sorrento after visiting Capri, you go directly back to Naples (across the Bay of Naples). So you'd have to get someone to pick you up in Naples, take you to Pompeii, and then, after seeing Pompeii, get back to Naples. I'm thinking it's probably about 1/2 an hour to Pompeii. So with an hour travel time, you'd have less than an hour to get in and see Pompeii. I checked the time stamps on my pictures, and I started walking towards the castle at 6:24pm. Sail Away was at 9pm. So, technically, you have enough time. But you'd be pushing it, and if anything went wrong, you'd be at risk for missing the ship. I also don't know how late the ruins are open. I'd ask. I didn't pursue it because I didn't know that we'd get back "early". Is a quick hour in Pompeii worth it? A part of me says yes; most of me says I wouldn't risk it...

They gave us our itinerary day by day (which is unusual; usually you get the full itinerary the first day of an ABD, and they'll tell you of any deviations as you go). I'm assuming it's because the itinerary was still a bit in flux. They'd tell us at the end of one day what the times & logistics were for the next day. And yes, they'll brief you on any clothing restrictions for the next day (Tunisia & the Vatican were the big ones. Shoulders covered & no shorts. Knees have to be covered. The Vatican, I think, was no sandals, either). Believe me, the Guides will totally make sure you're prepped & ready for each day!

I think with Animator's Palate, part of the problem was all the hype and descriptions people had given me beforehand. I think if I'd been more "surprised" or spoiler-free, it would have impressed me more.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #17
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
I am so jealous!!!! Once again, you have done a fabulous job on your trip report. Can't wait for the next installment.
Aw, thanks, brewcrew! Next installment SOON!

Sayhello
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
tig82174
...but the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I'm going to say that going to Pompeii on your own *after* the ABD excursion is not easily feasible. (But you may want to ask the Guides to make sure). Pompeii is more than half way from Naples to Sorrento. But the thing is, you don't go back to Sorrento after visiting Capri, you go directly back to Naples (across the Bay of Naples). So you'd have to get someone to pick you up in Naples, take you to Pompeii, and then, after seeing Pompeii, get back to Naples. I'm thinking it's probably about 1/2 an hour to Pompeii. So with an hour travel time, you'd have less than an hour to get in and see Pompeii. I checked the time stamps on my pictures, and I started walking towards the castle at 6:24pm. Sail Away was at 9pm. So, technically, you have enough time. But you'd be pushing it, and if anything went wrong, you'd be at risk for missing the ship. I also don't know how late the ruins are open. I'd ask. I didn't pursue it because I didn't know that we'd get back "early". Is a quick hour in Pompeii worth it? A part of me says yes; most of me says I wouldn't risk it...

They gave us our itinerary day by day (which is unusual; usually you get the full itinerary the first day of an ABD, and they'll tell you of any deviations as you go). I'm assuming it's because the itinerary was still a bit in flux. They'd tell us at the end of one day what the times & logistics were for the next day. And yes, they'll brief you on any clothing restrictions for the next day (Tunisia & the Vatican were the big ones. Shoulders covered & no shorts. Knees have to be covered. The Vatican, I think, was no sandals, either). Believe me, the Guides will totally make sure you're prepped & ready for each day!

I think with Animator's Palate, part of the problem was all the hype and descriptions people had given me beforehand. I think if I'd been more "surprised" or spoiler-free, it would have impressed me more.

Sayhello

Thanks for the great info!! I talked to my partner and he's erring on the side of skipping Pompeii, too. We may do a little more research....but we might skip it and use it as an excuse to vist again sometime!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
HappyGrumpy
DIS Veteran

Loving this!! So awesome!
HappyGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGrumpy View Post
Loving this!! So awesome!
Aw, thanks, HG!

Sayhello
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #21
Forever a Princess
One bottle of ketchup is not enough!

Hi there! Beautiful pictures!!! Looks like you had a great trip! Can't wait to hear more about Rome.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #22
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever a Princess View Post
Hi there! Beautiful pictures!!! Looks like you had a great trip! Can't wait to hear more about Rome.
Thank you! It was a great trip! I'm hoping to have Rome up soon!

Sayhello
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
gayleaboone
Earning My Ears

Ooooohhhhhh! I am so excited to see that you are posting your reports!!!!! I've been out of town and busy, so didn't know these were here----I am going to not look until tomorrow evening when can pour a glass of wine, begin with your trip report 1, and enjoy them!! I can't wait!!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!
gayleaboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleaboone View Post
Ooooohhhhhh! I am so excited to see that you are posting your reports!!!!! I've been out of town and busy, so didn't know these were here----I am going to not look until tomorrow evening when can pour a glass of wine, begin with your trip report 1, and enjoy them!! I can't wait!!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!
Believe me, I understand busy! I hope you enjoy!

Sayhello
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #25
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig82174 View Post
Thanks for the great info!! I talked to my partner and he's erring on the side of skipping Pompeii, too. We may do a little more research....but we might skip it and use it as an excuse to vist again sometime!
Yep. That's what I keep saying. I'll just have to come back...

Sayhello
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
Pluto,
DIS Veteran

great trip report. yes its a shame that dcl didnt go to pompeii. i was thinking about doing the abd until i seen they wasnt going to pisa
Pluto, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #27
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto, View Post
great trip report. yes its a shame that dcl didnt go to pompeii. i was thinking about doing the abd until i seen they wasnt going to pisa
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the report.

Even though I wanted to see Pompeii, missing it wasn't enough for me to forgo the ABD. And Pisa really didn't interest me. I've heard it's pretty commercial, and all there really is to do is go see the tower, take the obligatory 'holding up the tower' pictures, and maybe climb the tower. I wouldn't have minded going, but I wasn't upset it didn't. I wouldn't have missed seeing Michaelangelo's David in Florence for anything.

Sayhello
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
briano72
Earning My Ears

looks like such a fun trip
briano72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by briano72 View Post
looks like such a fun trip
Thanks! It was

Sayhello
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #30
sgodfrey2000
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Rome Excursion

Hi,

Great post!!!

Were looking at doing a 2012 cruise. Which Rome Excursion did you sue? Would you use it again?

Thanks!!!

sgodfrey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: