Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Grand Floridian vs. Wilderness Lodge in December - Holiday Music, Trains, Decorations

Please tell me more about Wilderness Lodge in December. We saw the Christmas tree and lobby decorations in 2008 but would like to know more. Is there any lobby music - singers, orchestra, piano, etc.? What are the trains like? What special activities are there?

Thinking about a switch to WL.... would save $730 for our 10 day trip and might like the theme better... but I was looking forward to the orchestra and piano player at Grand Floridian (we would still visit for 2 dinners at the GF).

Thank you!
DH, DW, DS4
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips, Star Wars weekend fun for fans, Halloween and Christmas parties are great. Best Tip - Go slower and don't miss the smaller fun things (street performers and musicians, banging on the drums in Africa, enjoying an ice cream on a bench) and show some kindness to a stranger (give up your seat on the bus, help take a photo, offer to let kids sit up front in a parade). Favorite time to visit - early December for all the Christmas decorations, lower crowds, and comfortable temperatures with little rain. Past resorts - All Star Movies, Sports, and Pop Century (Great bargains!), Caribbean Beach (nice pool for children), Port Orleans Riverside (must see Yee Haa Bob), Polynesian (love the theme and transportation options - monorail, boat, ferry).

Last edited by DisneyFamily123; 07-03-2010 at 02:22 PM.
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
ciera321
DIS Veteran

Keep in mind the GF will be jammed with visitors there to look around and see the decorations and gingerbread house, at least it was when we were there. It might be a little too busy to really enjoy listening to the music. As for extra activities, the only one I'm aware of is a sleigh ride from Ft. Wilderness, which is a short walk.

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Also keep in mind that the Grand Floridian has access to the Resort Monorail and I am not sure that's something I would want to give up. As for the extra visitors to the Grand Floridian during that time of year, they usually come during the evening and they might have ADR's scheduled. However which resort during the holiday season doesn't have more visitors to come and look around at the decorations and etc.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Disbug1
Mouseketeer

I actually have The Grand Floridan booked for 2 weeks over Christmas & Newyear but i have concerns about how busy the resort will be with visitor's coming to view the decorations & i am seriously considering switching to WL or AKL..I stay at The GF twice a year but have never stayed for Christmas,,But it is becoming less appealing to me to be staying there over the holidays,,I don't mind not being on the monorail,Just feel that either WL or AKL will be more relaxing & yes have stayed at them both multiple times too..

Good Luck with your decison
Disbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Bride In The Attic
DIS Veteran

I think the GF and WL are two totally different Christmas experiences. The GF has a beautiful, Victorian Christmas feel...very elegant with beautiful music...just magical. Equally as magical but in a different way is the WL....more of a rustic, charming Christmas. They do play Christmas music in the lobby (although no live singers that I've seen) and have a roaring fire going in their fireplace. It's a wonderful place to spend an evening, rocking in the rocking chairs.

I think both are equally "Disneyized" at Christmas....it really just depends on what you are looking for and how much being in the monorail means to you. Also, as I'm sure you know, the GF is a more upscale resort overall with larger rooms.

I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Addicted to the Poly since 1974!
First trip: Jan 74 Polynesian "Village" Resort - 20 trips since
Bride In The Attic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activities, christmas, music, resort, wilderness lodge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: