Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
wenrob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorThomasina View Post
I don't know where to start. I've been a huge fan of Toy Story ever since it first came out (I was six years old). I absolutely adored TS3, I especially loved Ken and Barbie!

I can understand some parents concern over the pretty heavy nature of the story. But I have to say, the basic plotline was "Andy goes to college, what will Woody and the gang do?" One also has to know that Pixar primarily based their audience on the children who grew up with the first movie (when it came out). All of them are at least fourteen or fifteen years old now, so children no more! I was also quite prepared emotionally due to Pixar's previous film, UP.
This is exactly what eldest DD (13 going on 14) and I were talking about on the way home from seeing it today. This was "closure" for the set who grew up with it IMHO. FWIW neither of my 4yr olds were scared at all, they really enjoyed it and DS is typically a scaredy cat.

LOVED it! I laughed and I cried. I've always loved Micheal Keaton and he made a spectacular Ken! I too was wondering about Lotso, saw him all over Disneyland and now that I know he's a "bad guy" it kinda make me go... Then again DS loves Zurg so I'm sure Lotso will have his place. Baby on the other hand was TOTALLY creepy!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

If I have bad dreams about anything from TS3, it will be zombie baby.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
MajorThomasina
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenrob View Post
Baby on the other hand was TOTALLY creepy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
If I have bad dreams about anything from TS3, it will be zombie baby.
I was kind of expecting the baby to have like a deep mobster voice when it was shown that he was a bad guy. I thought that would've been hilarious! But in the end, I thought it felt right to leave him the way he was. I find Baby Face/Spider Baby to be more creepy than Big Baby IMHO. He nearly made me cry in fear when I first saw him!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
karly05
DIS Veteran

The Monkey freaked me out. Now that thing was scary!

Michael Keaton was "Cool and Groovy!" as Ken. And Ned Beatty was awesome. They couldn't have cast anyone better for Lotso.

Saw it Friday and liked it, saw it again today and LOVED it! And I want to hug everyone who designed and wrote and animated Bonnie. She was adorable.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #20
916chipndale
You've got a friend in me It all started by a mouse

toy story is my favorite movie ever and i couldnt wait for toy story 3 to come out, and it did not dissapoint!

toy story 3 was funny and sad but it really had a better plot then the other movies IMO toy story is still my favorite cuz its the first one but toy story 3 was amazing there was surprises but there were some dark moments but not really scary just sad esepcially since i grow up on this movie, the ending surprised me alot
2005-Beach Club Resort
2007-All Star Movies Resort
2008-Polynesian Resort
December 2010-All Star Sports Resort
916chipndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #21
santadog
DIS Veteran

Speaking of Toy Story characters, was I the only person that thought "Boo" was at Sunnyside (in the Butterfly room). She was sitting on the floor, with a blue stuffed cat -- they way she called it "kitty" really got my attention.

I figure with the references to Wall-E, Up, and Cars in TS3, it may be a hint to the upcoming Monsters, Inc 2
santadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #22
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

It was amazing. It was a great but slightly sad there for awhile end to the toy story saga.

That said, it is not for the under 5 crowd and I think it wasn't meant to be. I heard many upset toddlers in the theater. I was actually surprised to see so many babies and toddlers there. Toy Story has been around for so long that most of the kids that loved the first one are close to grown up now. Many adults loved it and I do too and I think it was made more for them.

I loved it, it was great and I even got choked up a little but out of the 3 , it's not the one I will watch 8000 times like I did the first 2. I want to see it again, I will buy the dvd and it was good but it's intense in a way that the other 2 aren't. It was still funny but it's not as light hearted.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #23
iheartjacksparrow
Mouseketeer

WOW. I absolutly LOVED TS3, it was amazing!! I'm 20 years old and grew up with the Toy Story movies. On Saturday night, I went with three other 20 year old guys to see it, and we all could not say enough good things about this movie!!

My DBF even said they gave you the 3D glasses to cover your eyes from the tears!! I can't get over how good it was!

iheartjacksparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
Donald_Quackers
Quacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
We just got back from TS3 and *looooved* it! I didn't think it was as dark as Toy Story 2 - I'm almost 40 years old and the whole part with Sid's room in TS2 still creeps me out! I didn't have those issues with TS3.

My sister's daughter starts kindegarten this fall, and my sister said both she and her husband were weepy. It's definitely a movie that can make you shed a tear or two. Sweet tears. Not sad tears. Not like Up! (omg ... the beginning of that movie makes me sob).

We saw it in - it was superb.

ETA: The little kid behind me kept asking, "Mommy, why is she laughing?" ahahahhaahaha There were a few parts where we got so tickled it took a while to settle down. Hubby LOVED Chuckles.

And I agree about Lotso - afterwards, we were both wondering why they are marking this cuddly wuddly toy when he's the villain! He doesn't even really repent, but does get his comeuppance.
I loved all of them including TS3, but the scene you describe is the original TS, not TS2, just to avoid any confusion, and yes, Sid's room was dark.

Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7 Nights
Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/4 nights @ POFQ
Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2012
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!
Donald_Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #25
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

I realized that after rewatching the first one a couple days ago. Love them all.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
princess-lola
~Disney fan~

Saw it yesterday and loved the movie!!!!

Walt Disney World vacation was May 7-14 2005.
princess-lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #27
Ericadawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by santadog View Post
Speaking of Toy Story characters, was I the only person that thought "Boo" was at Sunnyside (in the Butterfly room). She was sitting on the floor, with a blue stuffed cat -- they way she called it "kitty" really got my attention.

I never thought of Boo. However, the kitty looked a lot like Periwinkle from Blue's Clues to me.
Ericadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #28
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

OK, I thought it was excellent, but it was way too intense for small ones. Our DD is 7, she didn't want to see it, so DW and I went on our own.

I had a couple of qualms about it, which puts it a notch below the previous two Toy Story movies - note that there are NO spoilers in these comments, at least for TS3.

1st- this is the big one - there was no character arc for *any* of the characters. While I don't expect every character to have an arc (after all there are about 28 characters in this movie) in the first Toy Story - both Woody and Buzz have good arcs. Buzz learns that it's being a space ranger isn't all that matter - sometimes being a toy is enough. Woody learned that he doesn't need to be the most popular and to be OK with it. TS2 it was Woody and Jessie that got the character arcs. In this one...nobody! The characters rested completely on their development from the previous movies, and even that sometimes got ignored. (Wouldn't you think Jessie would be *MUCH* more frantic than she was based on TS2?) Let me put it this way...if we didn't already love / know these characters so well from TS1 & 2, would this still have been as great a movie? I personally don't think so - the story coasted on established characters. Is there any other reason that a new character - "Ken" can steal the movie considering he's only in about 6 scenes.

2nd - this is a minor quibble - the whole thing just seemed very slight to me. After the grand scale of recent Pixar films (WALL-E, UP, Ratatouille, Incredibles) this movie just felt so small. That said, the first two felt the same way...I guess I just want more out of Pixar now. (And while I wanted to see this movie very much, I am a little annoyed at Pixar making us wait 3 years (!!!) between original movies (UP in 2009, Brave in 2012).

I hope that doesn't make it sound like I don't recommend it...the story itself was great - the action sequences clever and the tension was set up marvelously, and the ending was done brilliantly - though there was almost no other way to go with it - the way it was actually done couldn't help but leave you with a tear in your eye.

So, I give it 9 out of 10, and place it just below the first two in my esteem, which I consider belong hand-in-hand and still the best movie of the year so far.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: