Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #31
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Nope, children under 3 are not supposed to get dining credits. If you got them without registering the child as 3 years old, it was a mistake (in your favor, but still a mistake). You would have to register the child as 3 years old to make sure they got credits, and then you'd have to buy a park ticket.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #32
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dance2874 View Post
OK, a few yrs ago when we went and DD was under 3 she got the dining plan for free during free dining with our reservation. I didnt buy a park ticket for her but she was listed on our reservation so she got the credits. Now it seems that children under 3 do not get dining for free during free dining unless they have a park ticket as well...correct? DS is under 3 and a BIG eater. I am not looking forward to having to pay OOP for his meals when ours will be free.

Anyone know for sure?
I'm interested to hear what people say about this. I have read that unless you have a park ticket then under 3s don't get the dining plan. However, we booked online with Disney and our 2 year old was automatically added to the dining plan and we were charged something like £40 to upgrade him to the DDP from the QS that was free. We had no option about this, we were automatically charged for him when we upgraded our own plans. We phoned Disney UK to check and the cast member said that it had changed and 2 year olds counted!! Hmm! I have seen nothing about this anywhere but we thought we'd cross everything and hope that he gets on the plan, if it is an error it's Disney's error right?? But I certainly don't want to have to pay for a park ticket in order to get the dining!

mo x
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #33
dance2874
DIS Veteran

When I called and booked my trip on Friday I asked the CM to be sure. Under 3 are free admission and do not get dining credits but you are welcome to share with them. So we decided to book mostly buffets so we can easily share with him and he can share our CS meals. He eats more than my 7 yr old so it will probably work out to share with her anyways.

I am positive back in 2005 when we went and DD was under 3 that she was also given credits but I guess it all changed.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #34
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Things might be different with Disney UK, but with US if you're not on the record as 3 years old you don't get credits.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #35
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dance2874 View Post
When I called and booked my trip on Friday I asked the CM to be sure. Under 3 are free admission and do not get dining credits but you are welcome to share with them. So we decided to book mostly buffets so we can easily share with him and he can share our CS meals. He eats more than my 7 yr old so it will probably work out to share with her anyways.

I am positive back in 2005 when we went and DD was under 3 that she was also given credits but I guess it all changed.

I just don't want you to feel that you are not getting a service now that you got in 2005 when you went to Disney, so I did some research. From everything that I've read in the 2005 Dining Plan posts. Kids under 3 were never given credits on the MYW Dining Plans. I didn't research the old Silver or Gold plans, but all of the posts that I read from 2005 indicated that kids from 3-9 got credits and those under 3 had to share. Link to one of the posts from 2005

Disney has changed how they show credits on the receipt since then, but she was not given additional credits in 2005 unless you aged her so she was 3. Maybe you just used some of your credits for her

I found a few images of old dining plan brochures, just to confirm what I was reading in old posts on the board. I tried to shrink this photo so I could post it here, but it's gigantic. http://www.explorethemagic.com/image...ining-plan.jpg this is one of the old brochures (it hit when I did a google search for 2005 brochures)

Hope this helps set your mind at ease.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #36
MommyRobin
Mouseketeer

I'm confused - if CS places can't differentiate between a child's meal and an adult meal, how are they going to monitor whether or not we get an adult meal for them? We are on the dining plan, but I was hoping to get my 2 kids an adult meal to share between the two of them.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 06-13-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Reference to another site removed due to content
MommyRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #37
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

CS meals for which you paid a children's price are to be used to order from a children's menu where they are available - this is Disney's written rule that appears in all dining plan literature. Disney's rule does not say you may use children's CS credits for adult meals in all instances.

The DIS has a policy about posting information regarding breaking a clearly stated rule of Walt Disney World. This sticky is to assist parents in finding children's options they like.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #38
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

Turkey Legs, etc...

I know the Turkey Leg is massively huge, and my ds won't even eat enough off of it. But he wants to be like daddy had have his own. So, I just wanted to varify that he can indeed use his Child's Snack Dining Credit (meal not snack) to get a drink and the turkey leg as long as it's not at a kiosk..is this correct?
Also I just wanted to be sure that my kids can get the cookie ice cream sandwiches in MK and the funnel cakes...I believe they are a snack credit, but they can use a snack credit on one right?
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
2008-Dec ASmo (started an addiction)
Honeystar120608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #39
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

I have heard the cookie ice cream sandwiches may be in the process of being phased out as snack credits but the only place I saw reported you currently cannot get them is Dino Bites in AK.

If you get the turkey leg at Toluca Legs or at Lunching Pad you may use a child credit, as these restaurants have no children's menu. Please see the first post on this thread.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #40
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Things might be different with Disney UK, but with US if you're not on the record as 3 years old you don't get credits.
That's what I thought!! Our tickets have arrived and there are our vouchers for flights for all 3 flights, room details, park ticket vouchers for DH and myself but not for our 2 yo DS but the DDP vouchers there are 2 adults and one child - the child voucher actually says "Child age 3-9" and underneath says "Child age 2"

I'm thinking if this is Disney's mistake and we've been charged they surely can't take it away from us or force us to pay a park ticket can they?? We did tell them we thought they were wrong! I am now totally psyched up that he'll have his dining all paid for (and I won't need to share any of mine )

mo x
Old 06-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mo View Post
That's what I thought!! Our tickets have arrived and there are our vouchers for flights for all 3 flights, room details, park ticket vouchers for DH and myself but not for our 2 yo DS but the DDP vouchers there are 2 adults and one child - the child voucher actually says "Child age 3-9" and underneath says "Child age 2"

I'm thinking if this is Disney's mistake and we've been charged they surely can't take it away from us or force us to pay a park ticket can they?? We did tell them we thought they were wrong! I am now totally psyched up that he'll have his dining all paid for (and I won't need to share any of mine )

mo x
Call Disney UK asap. You may be best asking to speak to a supervisor. It is a lot easier to get a refund if you have been overcharged (?) now, rather than afterwards, where you would have to pursue it as a claim against them for non-delivery of services listed on your confirmation. Likewise, if you specifically want to pay for the child to have the dining plan you need to have that done in the next few days.

Did you want the child to have dining credits? In their terms and conditions they still classify children/infants under 3 as non chargeable so your initial assumptions were spot on correct. This is all in accordance with Disney's policy. What I can tell you for certain is that whatever has been recorded on your final confirmation, and which will be passed onto your resort, will be what you get. The US system has no links whatsoever to the UK one so it is impossible for them to sort this out for you at check in as they have no access to the information.

I see you appear to have booked flight inclusive. Since your DS is over 2 you would have had to book a seat which classifies him as a child on the booking system. Trust me when I tell you that the OpenRide (Disney UK) system is completely warped in areas, but I have a not so sneaky feeling that this may be where the problem has come in. You would have been charged for your DS as a child because he is over 2, and this means that every component of the booking has him classified as a child. However by Disney standards a child is aged 3 and over. Disney at check in will treat your child as 2 because that is what is on your booking. Unfortunately there is nothing much you can do about it because the system is flawed (in my not so humble opinion).

If you need any help, please feel free to post or PM me. I have had to deal with a similar type of issue with them but I was fortunate enough to have time on my side.

2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #42
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Call Disney UK asap. You may be best asking to speak to a supervisor. It is a lot easier to get a refund if you have been overcharged (?) now, rather than afterwards, where you would have to pursue it as a claim against them for non-delivery of services listed on your confirmation. Likewise, if you specifically want to pay for the child to have the dining plan you need to have that done in the next few days.

Did you want the child to have dining credits? In their terms and conditions they still classify children/infants under 3 as non chargeable so your initial assumptions were spot on correct. This is all in accordance with Disney's policy. What I can tell you for certain is that whatever has been recorded on your final confirmation, and which will be passed onto your resort, will be what you get. The US system has no links whatsoever to the UK one so it is impossible for them to sort this out for you at check in as they have no access to the information.

I see you appear to have booked flight inclusive. Since your DS is over 2 you would have had to book a seat which classifies him as a child on the booking system. Trust me when I tell you that the OpenRide (Disney UK) system is completely warped in areas, but I have a not so sneaky feeling that this may be where the problem has come in. You would have been charged for your DS as a child because he is over 2, and this means that every component of the booking has him classified as a child. However by Disney standards a child is aged 3 and over. Disney at check in will treat your child as 2 because that is what is on your booking. Unfortunately there is nothing much you can do about it because the system is flawed (in my not so humble opinion).

If you need any help, please feel free to post or PM me. I have had to deal with a similar type of issue with them but I was fortunate enough to have time on my side.

I didn't expect to get dining for him but it automatically charged us. There is no way that we are prepared to pay for a park ticket to get the dining he likes his food but I don't think he'd eat that much food in 2 weeks. It's just now I'm psyched up that he'll have his own food already paid for! We only paid something like £40 to upgrade for DP from the free QS dining plan so I'm not so worried about leaving it to claim later if they refuse us. We have written proof that it was paid for so can Disney really refuse it to us if it's their mistake?? The system only added the adult park tickets but all 3 dining plans. We're tempted to play dumb - after all Disney UK HAVE told us that it's correct when we queried it, and if I wasn't the geek I am on here checking everything out lol, then we'd be none the wiser that it was an error.

What do you think?

Surely if he has the dining plan on the UK system then he must have it on the US system? No?

mo x
Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #43
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

PS Thanks for all the info - I do appreciate it!!

mo x
Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #44
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Surely if he has the dining plan on the UK system then he must have it on the US system? No?

mo x
From what I understand, no he won't. You see he is on the UK system, but it is "incompatible" for want of a better description, with the US system which adds children from age 3. The only way to get him onto the US system is, not only to have him registered as 3 years old, but to buy him a Disney park ticket. This is because the tickets and dining plans are linked and the dining plan category (adult/child/non applicable for under 3's) is directly connected to the category of park ticket (again, if applicable). Thankfully you didn't buy him a park ticket and honestly, not sure how long you are going for, but for a little guy, £40 will buy you a fair amount of little bits for topping up or supplementing his meals which he shares with you. Alternatively you could just buy the occasional kids meal for $5.

Of course you might get lucky and have a CM who is able to help you out when you check in but I suspect that as this is a system issue, it is more a case of they can't than they won't.

Quote:
PS Thanks for all the info - I do appreciate it!!

mo x
You're very welcome.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #45
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

LOL look at me getting all defensive at maybe not getting something that we're not actually entitled to anyway!!

Hubby's all for arguing our case and seeing what happens and if nothing happens then so be it, we'll take it up with Disney UK on return and if we do manage to get what Disney UK have booked for us then great! But there's no way we're paying for a park ticket just to get the dining. I may change my mind and phone though - lol!

Thanks for your help.

mo x

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: