Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #496
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Have you ever thought about being a party planner? You throw the most unbelievable bashes! The pirate party looks like it was a huge hit!!
Thanks Christine! In my next life I am going to come back as a Disney Parks Event Planner! That would be my dream job!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #497
cdotla
Trish

The Kids Meet the Yeti!!!

After walking out of Tusker House with our bellies full, and Fast Passes for the Kilimanjaro Safaris in our pockets, we headed out to Battle the Yeti.

While we had our brave faces on, we took them off momentarily to enjoy a few moments of silly drum banging.

Then we were back on our trek to the large, imposing snow-capped mountain in the distance.

I so wanted to stop here for a caffeinated beveridge...but I knew it would not be a good idea to eat or drink anything else before we put the Yeti in his place.

So on we went.

I think I mentioned that before the trip, I had measured Declan. He was exactly 44 inches. Expedition Everest, with a height limit of 44 inches, was one of many rides he would be experiencing for the first time on this trip. The last time he was in the parks, he was just shy of 40 inches.

This would also be Katie's first time experiencing the Yeti. Although she hit the height limit on 2 past trips, at 4 years old she was nervous to ride it, and at 5 years old, the ride was shutdown on our trip.

Suffice to say, excitement was in the air! Chris and I were looking forward to sharing our Yeti experience with the kiddos.

After making the hike over from Africa, we finally arrived at Base Camp. Unfortunately, just as we started to go in the que, we noticed the height limit sign and realized that Declan was not tall enough.

I couldn't believe it! I had been so diligent in measuring him at home and was sure that he would make it. While he was barely 44 inches, he had indeed reached it. To make matters worse, because I had assumed he had reached the height limit I had talked up this ride so much. I was crushed to have to disappoint him! But he took it in stride. I was so proud!

While I offered to stay behind with Declan, my MIL volunteered so I could ride with Chris and Katie. So off we went.

Katie was a little nervous in the que for her first battle with the Yeti. So we distracted her by talking about the amazing que. We got her to ring one of the bells:

And threw some coins for good luck:

And before we knew it, we were climbing into our train.

Katie put up a brave face with the Yeti...and won. She loved it!!! And wanted to ride again.

On our way back to greet Declan and my MIL after the ride Chris and I noticed a couple of kids getting off the ride who looked awfully close to Declan's height. So even though we were sure he didn't meet the limit, we decided to investigate further and actually get him measured.

Imagine how ridiculous I felt when we discovered that we had misinterpreted the height indicator. There is actually an arrow or line (I forget which exactly) which is *higher* than the kids have to be to ride. The 44 inch indicator is underneath the part of the measure that Chris and I mistook for the height requirement. I wish I had taken a picture of this to better explain what caused our confusion, but at the end of the day, Declan did in fact reach 44 inches and was clear to ride!

I don't even have to tell you that my little daredevil loved it too!

My MIL rode it as well, but for some reason I didn't get a picture of her. I think it was deleted before I could snap the photo. While she was glad she did it, once was definitely enough for her!

With the Yeti accomplished, we headed across the Bridge over Discovery River to the Nemo Show. While we were a bit early, it was mighty hot, so we were happy to spend 20 minutes or so in an air conditioned theatre.

Once again, I was surprised to see that the Nemo Show had received some changes and upgrades since we last visited in 2008. As usual, family consensus is that this is an awesome show!

Once Nemo finished, we headed towards Africa as it was time to use our FastPasses for the Safari.

As it was high noon, there were not a lot of animals out, save for the usual suspects.

These aren't real, right? I don't think I ever heard the real answer to this.

Once the Safari came to an end, and with just 3 attractions under our belt, Chris and the kids were done. Admittedly it was hot. But I at least convinced them to stick with the plan of eating lunch at the Flame Tree BBQ. This is my favourite counterservice restaurant on WDW property, and the only counterservice restaurant we ate at the whole 11 days!

Mmmmm....I just love their chicken! And Chris loves the ribs. Combined with the view on the water, with Expedition Everest in the background, this place is top-notch in my books!

The one thing that I love seeing when we dine here is the raft with the Fab 5 Characters going down Discovery River. Unfortunately we missed them this time.

Although we hadn't seen a number of things on my AK wish list (like Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, Devine, and the characters at Camp Minnie-Mickey), my family was ready to leave. As it turned out, we did not get back to AK the rest of the trip, so all of these will have to wait for another trip. (We also always seem to miss both the Maharajah Jungle Trek and Rafiki's Planet Watch, but I am determined to fit these in on our next trip!)

Because it was hot, and my family was once again not in the mood for photos, we didn't get a family snapshot in front of the Tree of Life. Once again, kicking myself for not getting up earlier and arriving at the Park on time for our 8am ADR so we would have had time to do this before breakfast. (See...I can trace all of the problems of the day to a simple 15minutes of extra sleep!)

So with that, we bid the Animal Kingdom farewell for this trip and headed back to the Beach Club where (hopefully) we would be given the keys to our 1 Bedroom Unit!

UP NEXT: Checking In...again...at the Beach Club Villas

Last edited by cdotla; 07-04-2010 at 06:08 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #498
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Loving the trip report. I have to admit, I had the Cobb salad once at Brown Derby...yep...once. It was a texture thing with me....like someone had already chewed it for me. We love the crab cakes, though. You do a great job with the children's parties. My mother always had special parties for my brother and I. Usually the favors were as good as the gifts. They are some of my best memories. Can't wait to read more so I am subbing.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #499
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

What a sequence of mis-haps and highlights at AK! But I'm glad to see that Declan made it on Everest in the end. It's such a great ride and I think it is a perfect rollercoaster for the kids.

Looking forward to seeing BC through your camera next.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #500
ashleighbass06
DIS Veteran

That pirate party was SO creative! I don't think I ever could've come up with something that detailed and it looked like the kids loved it!

I wish I could've done Everest...we only had a couple hours in AK and we had to skip it. Definitely will have to go next trip!

But, I always love the Safari! And I'm pretty sure those Ostrich eggs are fake...at least they were there in March and I don't think they take that long to hatch.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip! I'm interested to hear about Backyard BBQ..I considered doing that last trip but there just wasn't enough time. Isn't that how it always goes?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #501
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

Your son's birthday party was beautiful. You're very talented--I expected Martha Stewart to pop out from behind a tree!

Looking forward to more of your TR.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #502
MadiMouse
Member of the 2011 WDW Moms Panel

I LOVE the birthday party!!

We usually only do a half of day in AK because of the heat. And YES I love Flametree BBQ. It is my favorite CS!!

2011 - 2012 Walt Disney World Moms Panel

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #503
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Wow, what a great Pirate Party! I can't believe you threw all of that together at the last minute. You are an amazing mom!

Glad Declan was able to ride EE after all.

Last edited by Mommy2BnB; 06-27-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: grrr....I can't stand typos. Had to fix it.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #504
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Trish, I agree, that party looks fabulous! Michael had a pirate birthday for his 7th birthday, 2 years ago, and it was a lot of fun! We had walking the plank (2x4 over a blue tarp), pass the parrot (hot potato), tug of war, a couple other things I can't remember now, and of course, a treasure hunt! It was no where near as nice looking as yours though! That theme is so much fun - so many cool ideas and kids seem to love it!!

I know what you mean about the height checker thing - I've had to do a doubletake before to make sure one of mine was tall enough and then realized Doh - there's a shorter line!! Glad he was able to get a ride on Everest!!

I have never had Flame Tree - it's on my list for sure!!

You are too funny about your 15 minutes!! I think you are being too hard on yourself!!

Sara
Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #505
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Wow! You throw such creative, wonderfully-themed birthday parties! Your kids are lucky to have you
Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #506
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Another fabulous party Trish, my kids are done with the themed birthday parties, but even when they had them they were no where near as inventive as yours!

I'm so glad that Declan got to ride EE, and that both kids loved it, it's such a fun ride!

Those ostrich eggs have been there forever, I'm quite sure they are fake
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #507
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

What a fantastic party! You, my dear, are one talented lady! I have no imagination at all, I always enlisted the help of one of my girlfriends who is a party planner, she used to save the day for me!

Great pictures from AK....I know exactly what you mean with the measurement thingy (is that a word) we almost made the same mistake last summer with my niece...it was her 10year old sister that pointed out we were wrong So happy he got to ride it in the end
Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #508
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Great update.
I want to try Flame Tree in August. The food looks good.
Can't wait to read more about the BC!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #509
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear about Flame Tree. It is definitely on my list for next year!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #510
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

I'm finally all caught up!

Wow, what a fantastic birthday party you threw! I would totally be having a blast there myself! Also, you have some gorgeous property. Love the views.

Yay for the whole family getting on EE! I'm glad that Declan got a chance to meet the Yeti, too.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: