Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
TaylorsDad
DIS Veteran
 
TaylorsDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 791

Hey Made,
How about a full trip report?
TaylorsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
MadeToLove
The Ultimate Potterholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorsDad View Post
Hey Made,
How about a full trip report?
I'll get to it, got to catch up on threads first, but I had an awesome time (minus the heat exhaustion) and will share, promise.
MadeToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
orlandoinside
Earning My Ears
 
orlandoinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl.
Posts: 8

I rode it without even expecting to! I went through the que line just to take pictures. I had a large camera sack around my waist like a fanny bag. I figured once I got to the ride they would tell me I could not because of my bag and I'll be shown the exit.

But they did not. So I hopped in the seat and they slammed the harness right down on my camera bag, ouch!

I'm 5 foot 11, 170 lbs. I fit easy, but my shoulders did not touch the top of the harness because the camera bag was holding it up a bit, like not enough clicks down.

So, if you have a waist bag and it's on the front of your waist, it's going to get smashed down by the harness thing. I don't think you have enough room to turn it so it's on the side of your hip.
__________________
Having fun and being happy in Orlando!
orlandoinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #19
Disney Padawan
Imagining Imagineering. RCT3 Coaster Designer. Theme Parkcoholic 4-life.
 
Disney Padawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Just a 3 Hour drive from Hogwarts.
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
Just got back today.

I rode FJ 4 times. I'm not the biggest person who got to ride it, but I do have rather large thighs.

Day one, rides 1 & 2, Got the harness down three clicks on my own, no problems

Day two, ride 3 Harness stopped at two clicks but they asked if it was okay to click the third, no problem, no pain. I think my problem that day was a). my thighs were on the outer edge (I was thinking they's get caught if closer to middle) and I had things in my pockets. But I got to ride

Day three, ride 4 Same problem as day before, two clicks. They didn't force it down though, and didn't say anything as it wasn't jiggling when they tugged so I was ok.
So my suggestion for big thighs.... Keep them closer to the center where the harness is a bit roomier for the thigh area and take everything out of thigh area pockets.

(Sorry, I'm not willing to give you guys my dimentions at this time.... a girl has to have some secrets)
Hi, so are you saying you got to ride on day 3 with only 2 clicks? If so, then that's great that they're finally doing this!!! That can only mean that more people will get to ride!!!
__________________


"The future is what you make it so make it a good one."
Disney Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #20
MadeToLove
The Ultimate Potterholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Padawan View Post
Hi, so are you saying you got to ride on day 3 with only 2 clicks? If so, then that's great that they're finally doing this!!! That can only mean that more people will get to ride!!!
Yes, but I wouldn't get too excited about it. I think the oversite may have been lazy TM syndrome. They tugged, it didn't move, they didn't care. but the TM the day before pushed in a bit. Every TM is going to have a different tolerance level.

I would say that I'm overweight, maybe even obese technically, but I don't look that big compared to some because my weight is evenly distributed. I was never pulled out of line to try the seats, and I would have been fine if I didn't have all that stuff in my cargo pants pockets and had sqeezed my thighs closer to the center. I'm only saying this because I don't want someone getting their hopes up that they've loosened up the standards.
MadeToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
sillysassy
Mouseketeer
 
sillysassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 115

I just got back home too. I was able to ride and having so much anxiety about not being able to get on the FJ ( due to weight/size) . Husband rode too, and both of us are overweight too. The first day I went on was Sunday the 20th , I did the test seat out front and fit, though it was tight. Inside I actually asked if I should do the test seat again, and she (attendant) says "no, your ok".
cool!! rode it and it was awesome!!

The second time we went on was Monday the 21st. We went right into castle after a long delay( due to technical problems we assume)and Both DH and I got pulled to try the test seat first... we were ok... and got to ride again
sillysassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
chataro
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 99

Just got back from IOA and ended up with a great surprise. I'm 6'3" and go about 265 right now. I'm just a big sized guy that wears a 42-44 waist and 2x tall shirts. Well after reading all the doom and gloom, I truly expected not to be able to ride FJ. DW and me beelined to the test seats outside, and just as I expected, RED Light of death. TM even came up to check and they confirmed my doom. Well, wanted to let DW ride, plus see the inside of castle, so we headed to single rider line.

3 min. later, we approached the inside test seats and the TM asked me if I rode it before and I said "no and I also already received my fate outside". He though told me to have a seat and lets make sure. THREE clicks later, I was good to go!!!!

2 min. later, DW and I lucked out and got to ride the same car. Incredible ride!!! Best part of the whole thing was that when we left the castle, I decided to go to the TM outside and let her know that I made it. She was happy for me and then asked if we did the single rider line and we said yes. She then asked if we would like a tour of the castle to see the rooms we missed. We said "Nah". . . .I mean who would want that???? Just kidding. We loved going through it on our own little personal tour. Emails will be written for this wonderful TM. Made our day.

So the moral of the story is. . . Red light outside doesn't mean you're dead. Don't give up hope until you test the inside "official" seats. I'm glad the TM encouraged me to do it or I would have missed out on the NEW best ride in Orlando.
chataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #23
cottonwoodgal
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytiam View Post
I had serious doubts whether I would be able to ride while planning this trip and while standing in line, but I got to ride!!!!
I'm female, shaped a little like the dancing smilie guy at the end of the previous sentence. 5'4" 220 pounds. Size 18W to 20W depending on the brand. Mostly belly and butt--not much bust that isn't fat. The first day I rode, I was wearing lightweight cotton shorts and fit fine. The second day I wore bluejean short with embellished pockets, etc. and it was a bit tighter.
Also, DH who is 5'7" got to ride. He won't tell me what he weighs, but he recently purchased size 42" shorts and 18" neck shirts.
Thank you for posting your experience and your weight/sizing! (It sounds like we might be body doubles!) There is hope for me to ride Forbidden Journey!
cottonwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
wheezywhizzy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLPClarinet View Post
I could ride:

Height: 5'5"
Biggest part of chest: 42"
Waist: 37"
Biggest part around hips/stomach/butt: 47"

the tightest part was around my thighs, but my upper body had plenty of room.
If you don't mind me asking how big are your thighs around? Inches wise? You can pm me if you like.
wheezywhizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan
 
Albytaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,836

Quote:
Originally Posted by chataro View Post
Just got back from IOA and ended up with a great surprise. I'm 6'3" and go about 265 right now. I'm just a big sized guy that wears a 42-44 waist and 2x tall shirts. Well after reading all the doom and gloom, I truly expected not to be able to ride FJ. DW and me beelined to the test seats outside, and just as I expected, RED Light of death. TM even came up to check and they confirmed my doom. Well, wanted to let DW ride, plus see the inside of castle, so we headed to single rider line.

3 min. later, we approached the inside test seats and the TM asked me if I rode it before and I said "no and I also already received my fate outside". He though told me to have a seat and lets make sure. THREE clicks later, I was good to go!!!!

2 min. later, DW and I lucked out and got to ride the same car. Incredible ride!!! Best part of the whole thing was that when we left the castle, I decided to go to the TM outside and let her know that I made it. She was happy for me and then asked if we did the single rider line and we said yes. She then asked if we would like a tour of the castle to see the rooms we missed. We said "Nah". . . .I mean who would want that???? Just kidding. We loved going through it on our own little personal tour. Emails will be written for this wonderful TM. Made our day.

So the moral of the story is. . . Red light outside doesn't mean you're dead. Don't give up hope until you test the inside "official" seats. I'm glad the TM encouraged me to do it or I would have missed out on the NEW best ride in Orlando.
Congrats! That's great news considering I have similar (very similar) dimensions. It makes me think I shouldn't even bother with the test seats outside.
__________________
Been going to Disney almost every year since I was 3...

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #26
seadd67
DIS Veteran
 
seadd67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysassy View Post
I just got back home too. I was able to ride and having so much anxiety about not being able to get on the FJ ( due to weight/size) . Husband rode too, and both of us are overweight too. The first day I went on was Sunday the 20th , I did the test seat out front and fit, though it was tight. Inside I actually asked if I should do the test seat again, and she (attendant) says "no, your ok".
cool!! rode it and it was awesome!!

The second time we went on was Monday the 21st. We went right into castle after a long delay( due to technical problems we assume)and Both DH and I got pulled to try the test seat first... we were ok... and got to ride again
I am so happy for you, so was better then you thought?. We will be there a week from Saturday, and I am a little nervous, just a little I am abig guy but If I dont ride no Biggie, but It would be nice
seadd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
texaslover
Mouseketeer
 
texaslover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 129

Hubby was not able to ride last weekend. He was tested outside the ride and they let him through. Then they pulled him to test inside and told him he didn't get 3 clicks. I walked ahead with our party because I thought he was behind me so didn't get to see or suggest they push down the harness. Apparently if people didn't ask or protest they weren't trying. He was not that excited about riding and doesn't watch HP so he didn't put up a fight at all and truly didn't care - lol. I do think it is very randomly enforced.

DH is 6'4 and between 240-250. He has a long torso and a midsection that sticks out 4 to 5 inches. His chest is about 50 and waist 40-42. He was very close to getting on and I think he probably would have depending on the employees/time/asking to push down on harness/etc.
__________________
May 2002, POR
November 2003, POR
December 2004, AKL
January 2006, CBR
July 2006, Pop Century
March 2007, All Star Sports
Dec 2007/Jan 2008, POFQ
August 2008 DLR, offsite
July 2009. POR
texaslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #28
knieriem
DIS Veteran
 
knieriem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Not too far from the mouse!
Posts: 531

My husband and I rode fine, but we're pretty average when it comes to body type/size. However I kept staring at a guy in front of me..he was a good 6' 7" with a basketball player type build and he totally fit. Saw him get in the bench in front of me. Not sure how comfortable he was but he fit! I was expecting him not to after reading all the posts on the boards.
__________________
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." ~ Walt Disney

My first trip report! - November 2009
knieriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
Disney Padawan
Imagining Imagineering. RCT3 Coaster Designer. Theme Parkcoholic 4-life.
 
Disney Padawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Just a 3 Hour drive from Hogwarts.
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
Yes, but I wouldn't get too excited about it. I think the oversite may have been lazy TM syndrome. They tugged, it didn't move, they didn't care. but the TM the day before pushed in a bit. Every TM is going to have a different tolerance level.

I would say that I'm overweight, maybe even obese technically, but I don't look that big compared to some because my weight is evenly distributed. I was never pulled out of line to try the seats, and I would have been fine if I didn't have all that stuff in my cargo pants pockets and had sqeezed my thighs closer to the center. I'm only saying this because I don't want someone getting their hopes up that they've loosened up the standards.
Thank you so much for posting back. I wish the TM's would remain more consistent but I know that this happens everywhere. Hopefully they do loosen the standards soon so many more can ride.
__________________


"The future is what you make it so make it a good one."
Disney Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #30
schnerk
I am SOOO not addicted to Disboards... I can quit any time... Ah, who am I fooling?
 
schnerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,466

We went to WWOHP yesterday and had a blast. I was not expecting to be able to ride as I am 6'1" and 275, but I figured I would give it a shot. I was able to get 2 clicks on my own and the TM pressed to get the third.

There is hope fellow Shrek's...
__________________
"When are men going to learn that women want romance, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?"
"Be fair, alright? EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."
--Mallrats
schnerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: