Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

More Fun Than Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock-Adventures of the Sweet 16!New8-15

Welcome!!! Our Grand Gathering (dubbed "The Sweet 16" in our PTR - found here) just returned from a full week in the World, and we couldn't wait to share our adventures! I'll be writing this report jointly with my DSIL Shelley, Belle8306. Our DH's might also chime in from time to time, but they're not quite as interested in posting on the DIS as we are (they have another word for it besides "interested"...more like "obsessed" ).

(By the way, the title is a reference to The Big Bang Theory, which is a great show if you haven't seen it. The game mentioned in the title is explained on Youtube here. I don't know how much discussion we'll have of the show, but we thought it made a good title!)

I suppose introductions are in order, especially since we were such a big group. Don't worry, there's no quiz at the end, even though Shelley and I are both teachers. (To those of you who read our PTR, sorry for using some of the same pictures, but I'm still working on uploading pictures from our new cameras. They're much higher quality, and so upload muuuuccchhh slower!) Our crazy bunch includes....

Shelley and I (she's on the left), the master planners/unofficial travel agents/obsessive Disney planners...you pick the adjective! We have been to Disney upwards of a dozen times between us (two of those trips together now), and we both love planning. I'll let her introduce herself a little more once she chimes in, but I had to post this picture from last winter, as this is one of our favorite things to do!

My DH and I and our three kids: Haley, 8, Jack, 6, and Will, 2

DH (Bryan) is an IT guy who helps me get passed my limited tech abilities. Luckily for me, he has embraced my Disney obsession with open arms, and was just as depressed as I was to be leaving at the end of our trip. I am a fourth grade teacher at our local school, and I'm also getting my master's degree on-line right now through Ball State. Yes, I'm insane.

Haley - 8 (almost 9, and we celebrated her birthday a bit on this trip)

She loves the fairies, the princesses...and Star Wars, thanks to her Dad. She's trying to navigate that transition between little girls and (gasp!) pre-teen. She watches Playhouse Disney with her little brothers every morning and then begs me for Suite Life on Deck in the afternoon.

Jack - 6

All boy, all Star Wars - all the way! He actually brought home more weapons than anything else from this trip, which you'll hear more about later. He also, however, bought a stuffed Baby Goofy which now sleeps next to him each night. He definately has a soft side, and is still known to (try to) crawl into my lap for a snuggle. I hope he doesn't loose that anytime soon!

Will - 2

Don't let his cute smile and dimples fool you...there's a reason he's nicknamed "The Monster" in our house! He is personality plus, and was known to get people that we didn't know dancing during this trip. He's a ton of fun, but also the source of most of my exhaustion these days!

The rest of our group, with minimal introductions only because this post is going to be miles long if I don't keep it that way...
My mom:

Mom took us to Disney three times, but this is the first time going with her grandkids. She also just retired after 35+ years as a pediatric nurse, so she was ready to celebrate! She roomed with her sister:

My aunt Dee, who is a ton of fun. She used to live very close to us until I was a junior or senior in high school, so we got to be very close. They don't live as close anymore, and it's hard to keep in touch. But Dee pretty much makes fun wherever she is, and she was a blast to have along for her first trip. Besides, she got my mom to do more!

My in-laws:

(this picture is from 'Ohana on our 2007 trip) They're incredibly supportive - DFIL actually spends three-four days a week with us babysitting in our home. They live in NW Indiana near Shelley and Tim. I really lucked out as far as in-laws go!

DH's Uncle Tim, Grandma, and Great-Aunt Jane:

(Grandma and Aunt Jane are the two on the left)
It was Uncle Tim's first trip. Grandma and Great-Aunt Jane had been before. Uncle Tim (Un to my kids...It's what Haley called him as a baby) lives in NW IN. Grandma and Aunt Jane live in New Mexico most of the year, but come for extended visits to IN.

DH's cousin Norah and her goddaughter Ruby

(yes, this is Norah and Haley...pictures of Ruby to come) Norah and Ruby live in Texas. It was Ruby's (age 6) first trip to Disney, but Norah had been there several times before.

Shelley has better pictures of herself and Tim (all the recent ones I have involve Star Wars characters at our Children's Museum from early June). She'll be along any time now to introduce herself.

So, as you can see, we're quite the group! The details of our trip: We stayed at CBR June 13-20 (most of us arrived the afternoon/evening of the 12th). We planned the trip so that we could accomodate Shelley and I's school calendars, but also to hit Star Wars Weekends! We had park hopper tickets and the basic dining plan, so we went all over and ate some really great food. Most of us flew, but my little family drove, as well as Norah and Ruby. So that's what I'll start with here pretty soon. Come along on our adventures with us!

October 2012 Trip report

Last edited by FairyGodmotherJen; 08-15-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
bmb3
Mouseketeer

Big Bang Theory is great! I'm a math and physics teacher - so I find myself laughing at the 'nerdy' stuff

Whew! That's quite a group! My DH and I would love to go during Star Wars weekend, however after dealing with the awful heat and humidity last August, we don't want to go in the summertime again!

Looking forward to hearing more!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Am I first? Do I get a Disney prize?

Our trip is 17 days away; I look forward to reading about your trip to help add to the excitement...okay, really, as if I need any additional excitement!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb3 View Post
Big Bang Theory is great! I'm a math and physics teacher - so I find myself laughing at the 'nerdy' stuff

Whew! That's quite a group! My DH and I would love to go during Star Wars weekend, however after dealing with the awful heat and humidity last August, we don't want to go in the summertime again!

Welcome!!!
DH and his brother are definitely sci-fi nerds (and I don't fall that far behind them, to tell you the truth). Tim and Shelley got us hooked on it this season. It's a great study/paper grading break!

I am with you about the heat...DH knows that I don't want to go in June next time! It's harder with a teacher's schedule, but we need to figure out a way. We almost melted even though it's early in the hot season for them. One day of our trip there was a heat advisory/warning because the heat index was up around 105-110 degrees. You just can't do much more than sit at the pool in that kind of weather!

Thanks for chiming in!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
Okay, a prize for second?
You get a prize just for sticking with us through all the nuttiness!

Glad you came over - we've got lots to share!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Disneymama1
Mouseketeer

Great start! I be watching for upcoming episodes. I'm from NE Indiana and my daughter and I are going in October. Can't wait to hear how you coped with such a large group.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymama1 View Post
Great start! I be watching for upcoming episodes. I'm from NE Indiana and my daughter and I are going in October. Can't wait to hear how you coped with such a large group.

Hi! Welcome aboard! We might not be your typical large group, because we tend to get along well. Though we did feel like a traveling circus at times!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

all rightim in on the first page.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm here!

I love Big Bang Theory, it's such a good show!

I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post

Welcome, guys! Glad to see you. I promise to work on an actual report installment...as soon as I work on my project for class (). It's my incentive to get to work...

October 2012 Trip report

Old 06-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb3 View Post

Welcome!! We love Big Bang Theory. We did have trouble with the heat. I am with you no more summer trips! Even though we had a great time it was just hard to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
Am I first? Do I get a Disney prize?

Our trip is 17 days away; I look forward to reading about your trip to help add to the excitement...okay, really, as if I need any additional excitement!
Thanks for hopping over!! 17 days!! I am so excited for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymama1 View Post
Welcome! October has been my favorite time to go. Thanks for joining!
Quote:
I'm here!

I love Big Bang Theory, it's such a good show!

I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures.
Hi Leslie! We have a lot of adventures to share!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post

Hi Dan, glad you found us!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Hello! I am Shelley, the other coplanner of this trip. Our week at Disney went by very quickly but it is filled with lots of great moments.

This is my DH and I on a cruise we went on in March.
This is our sixth trip to Disney together. DH went as a child. My first trip was on our honeymoon.

Our trip started on Saturday June 12. We drove to Indy to catch our flight. We live in NW Indiana so it takes about two hours to get there. The Indy airport is brand new and really easy to navigate. We flew Southwest and we got lucky to get the emergency exit seat. We always like the extra leg room.

Our flight was delayed for about 40 minutes. We were so anxious to get to Disney. By this point almost everyone had arrived already. We couldn't wait to join them. The flight was uneventful. After landing we took the airport monorail and we found the ME desk and checked in quickly. We had to wait for 20 minutes before they put us on a bus. We did see a family that was a large gathering like ours. They had 20 people in their group. We got on the bus and we were happy to hear that we were the first stop. We called everyone to let them know we were close and they told us, that our room location was really good. Check in was great. The odd thing about CBR (to me anyway) is the main check in building is not connected to the food court like other moderates. We got our maps and our keys and we were off to find our building. We were in Martinique which is close to the food court and pool. We made it to our building and we met up with the rest of our group. We were so excited to finally be there!! We loved our room. The Nemo decor was really cute. Here are some pictures:

We went over to the food court to get our mugs and have dinner. I had Alfredo pasta and chicken. DH had a meatball sub. They were both good. We explored the gift shop and looked around the resort a little. We went back and hung out with our family. We all wanted to go to bed early so we could get an early start at Star Wars Weekends the next day.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Woo Hoo!! You are in Disney.

What style Vera bag do you have? Is it a hipster? That is the same pattern as mine, that pattern.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Woo Hoo!! You are in Disney.

What style Vera bag do you have? Is it a hipster? That is the same pattern as mine, that pattern.
It is a Hipster in Mod Pink. I loved how roomy it was. It was the perfect travel purse.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: