Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #106
shan136
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I also bring a 60 watt lightbulb wrapped in bubblewrap and placed inside a large (old style) insulated Disney resort mug - it fits perfectly. I can then swap out the desk lamp bulb so I can actually see and I use the mug for the bedside.
Lighting is very important to me too. I haven't stayed in a WDW resort in over 20 years, what is the deal with the lighting that you need to bring your own light bulb?
shan136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #107
crissy1974
Mouseketeer

The last two years I've been taking a folding potty seat for my DD4. It folds in 4's and easily fits in a gallon size ziplock baggie! It's also very lightweight. It keeps her little hiney from falling into the potty! Plus, we don't have to worry about wiping the toilet! Every night I clean it really good and put it in a new baggie for the next day!

Got some great ideas for our next trip! Thanks to all for sharing!

Sept. 1999 - Dixie Landings
Aug. 2008 - All Star Movies; Dec. 2009 - POFQ
Oct. 2010 - POFQ ; Nov. 2011 - POFQ
Nov./Dec. 2012 - CBR (unless I find opening for POFQ)

crissy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #108
KJ-52fan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan136 View Post
Lighting is very important to me too. I haven't stayed in a WDW resort in over 20 years, what is the deal with the lighting that you need to bring your own light bulb?
Honestly, when we stay in the one bedroom at OKW there isn't a problem because there's a big light over the dining table. It's when we stay in regular rooms both at WDW and regular hotels that the lights are sometimes too dim for me. So many hotels are trying to save on utilities that they've gone to very low wattage bulbs. I don't blame them since I imagine that there are plenty of people that leave lights on when they're not in the room (AC and heat, too). I don't always use the light bulb, but I have it if I need it and it doesn't weigh much at all.
KJ-52fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #109
Christie74
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisrn2003 View Post
I saw someone mentioned moleskin for blisters. Just a bit of info to provide to prevent those blisters. Each morning, after the shower and before dressing, spray your feet with antiperspirant/deodorant. Any kind will do---a cheap $1 can of Suave works fine. Spray in between toes, soles, sides, etc. This will prevent your feet from sweating which results in friction and blisters. If you rest in the afternoon, reapply the deo before going back out. We could have potentially not needed to reapply, but why take chances?

My spouse and I ended up with over a dozen blisters on our first trip. WDW does not have any real relief aids for feet. After this tip, not one blister have we had since. Hope it works well for everyone.
Thanks for sharing! I'm prone to blisters at Disney and was just thinking I must find something that helps before our next trip!
Christie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #110
matt314hew
Mouseketeer

We always take water bottles (Liter) that we fill up at the parks instead of buying drinks there.

Also we always take Zip lock bags for our phones, wallets, park tickets, etc. that we don't want to get wet when it rains.

One more item we take is fruit snacks, granola bars, and other food that we can take into the park for snacking during the day and we don't have to by as much food in the park. I think this year, I might buy fruit when I get down there that I can take in with us.
Disney Dad's Club Member #471
Disney Trips:
1992 - First trip, Not sure where I stayed; 2001 - Band Trip, All Star Music; 2005 - Parents 30th Anniversary, All Star Music; 2008 - Work Trip, Fort Wilderness Cabins; 2010 - 1st Anniversary, Port Orleans FQ
2015 - Parents 40th anniversay, both DS's first trips.
matt314hew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #111
Rekenna
DIS Veteran

Hi!

Benadryl. They use to make the dosing spoons, but now have the quick dissolve tablets. DS4 always ends up having some type of reaction, no matter how careful we are, to something while there and Benadryl fixes him up in a jiff.

Stroller fans-life savers, for us and them.

Scissors, duct tape, nite lite, nail clippers, neosporin spray, power strip, clear shoe organizer for the over the door for toiletries, envelopes with $ and a thank you for Mousekeeping, sample size laundry detergent, Tide stain pen, bandaids, zip loc bags, wal-mart type plastic bags for dirty diapers/trash, stroller cover for pop-up showers, we buy a bulk of trading pins for the boys-they don't trade but we dole them out everyday so they have something new, I used to buy small toys on clearance at the Disney store before hand but now they are all closed, glow sticks, little bottles of bubbles, I also scrounge the $1 bins at Target and Walmart for little goodies for line waits, parade waits etc. These are the most important things (to me) that may not seem obvious that I thought of.

Have fun!
Rekenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #112
Naisy68
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Getting some great tips here! Subscribing!
2008 -CSR & The Poly / 2009 - SSR
2010 - CBR - great time!!
Naisy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #113
mjh8955
DIS Veteran

Years ago as we were heading out the door for the parks I grabbed my little boy's clean white tube sock and slid it onto my frozen water bottle before putting it in my purse. It kept the water bottle from sweating and getting everything all wet. I do the same thing for a regular cold water bottle and it keeps the water colder longer. Costs NOTHING. Now I have a reason to keep those stray socks, I just toss the sock when I'm done.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #114
crazyredhead
Earning My Ears

There are some great tips in this thread but this one is my favorite. Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh8955 View Post
Years ago as we were heading out the door for the parks I grabbed my little boy's clean white tube sock and slid it onto my frozen water bottle before putting it in my purse. It kept the water bottle from sweating and getting everything all wet. I do the same thing for a regular cold water bottle and it keeps the water colder longer. Costs NOTHING. Now I have a reason to keep those stray socks, I just toss the sock when I'm done.

DH Rich
Lauren 8
Kathryn 6
Zachary 3

Trips:
Feb 1978, April 1981 (flew in helicopter over Epcot being built!), Feb 1984, April 1986, Feb 1992, March 1996, March 2004, May 2007 - planning trip for April 2011.
crazyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #115
Whistle
Mouseketeer

I read about a tip to help with germs in the room. You can put the remote to the TV in a baggie, and you won't have to touch it.

Also, while you may not need it, a small eyeglass repair kit (our Dollar Tree sells them) could be a huge lifesaver!
Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #116
mulbeck1
Earning My Ears

Smile

This is for anyone who is planning on renting a stroller or anyone who has ever lost their rented stroller because the cast members move and organize the mass chaos of strollers while you are on the rides. Bring a big bow and tie it onto your stroller so when you get off the ride and come back to fetch your stroller which is in the middle of the sea of hundreds you will spot yours instantly and save lots of time searching. I always get seasonal type ribbon and make a big bow. The first time I did this my husband said "this is so embarrassing" but he thanked me after the first ride and laughed at everyone else the rest of the week that he saw searching and frustrated for their stroller.

By the way, just wanted to say this is my first post ever!

Going to Disney this December
mulbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #117
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulbeck1 View Post
This is for anyone who is planning on renting a stroller or anyone who has ever lost their rented stroller because the cast members move and organize the mass chaos of strollers while you are on the rides. Bring a big bow and tie it onto your stroller so when you get off the ride and come back to fetch your stroller which is in the middle of the sea of hundreds you will spot yours instantly and save lots of time searching. I always get seasonal type ribbon and make a big bow. The first time I did this my husband said "this is so embarrassing" but he thanked me after the first ride and laughed at everyone else the rest of the week that he saw searching and frustrated for their stroller.

By the way, just wanted to say this is my first post ever!

Going to Disney this December
Welcome!!!
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #118
tinkermom23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle View Post
Also, while you may not need it, a small eyeglass repair kit (our Dollar Tree sells them) could be a huge lifesaver!
Wish we had one! DS10 broke his glasses the first day!! Lost the little screw. We ended up buying super glue and it worked a little bit.

We bring a folding stool. It's lightweight and collapses to less than 2" flat. We kept it in front of one sink for the kids. They could wash hands & brush their teeth without our help. It cost $12 and I keep it in my Disney Box.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #119
luckyBelle
Earning My Ears

One more thing to bring....

I bring a small pillbox in my day bag with enzymes for me and DH. All those food splurges can really upset the tummy! We get high quality digestive enzymes and take a few with each meal. Miracle.

I also bring a few waterproof Nexcare princess or fairy bandaids and some of those specialized blister bandaids just in case the Blister Block doesn't work!
luckyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #120
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyBelle View Post
I also bring a few waterproof Nexcare princess or fairy bandaids and some of those specialized blister bandaids just in case the Blister Block doesn't work!
Johnson & Johnson now makes Disney licensed Band-Aids. I bought a few boxes and they got packed in my parents' Owners' Locker so we'll have them for future trips, too.

Now, when we go to the parks, I bring a variety of them. It never fails that there is a panicked parent with a child who has skinned a knee or cut a finger or something. The only place in the parks where you can get a Band-Aid is the First Aid station. It makes both parents' and child's day to be able to pull out a cheery Band-Aid to help in the "kiss it and make it better" process. (Especially if they are 30 minutes into their wait to meet Tinkerbell...)
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: