Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #91
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea_loves_Disney View Post
OH MY GOSH!!! Your report and your pictures are AMAZING!!!!! I am so jealous. We had Brent as our CD on the Magic last summer, so it was neat to see him in your pics too!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
Thank you Andrea! My daughter loves Brent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmom View Post
Can't wait for your next update!
Thanks jagmom! I should get some more up tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolver View Post
Great Reports! I think I know which trip I'll choose next! Well, if Hubby and I survive our 1st cruise 3/24/11. It is just a 3 nighter, but we wanted to be sure we could handle 'the ocean' before booking a long one!

Can't wait to read more!
Thanks dolver! You'll love your first cruise!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #92
gatzsd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfalcon View Post
Thanks, gatzd!

When you get to the train station go inside. The ticket window is on the left. There is a hallway on the back right that has the newsstand. The newsstand line was non existant, compared to a long regular ticket line.

We went to St. Peter's and the tomb of the Popes first. We didn't mean to, we just didn't know where to go in. If you see the picture with the giant courtyard surrounded by pillars, that's where the security line for St. Peters and the tombs is. It was very long, but moved at a decent rate. That part was free.

Afterwards, we exited security and walked a long way around the outside to the museum/Sistine chapel entrance. There was a line there that we bypassed because we already had tickets. Here is the website for Vatican tickets:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do

and I believe this is where we got the colosseum tickets:

http://goitaly.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi...t/Gb/index.cfm

Metro maps are posted everywhere inside the metro so that was super easy. If you are familiar at all with reading a metro map, that won't be a problem.

For the bus, we just asked at a newsstand or tourist information booth which one to get on.
Thanks so much for the tips!! Jeesh - if I would have known about that newstand last time, it would have saved me a lot of headache as there was a huge line! I missed St Peter's basilica last time (walked around the square) because I thought the line was too long and didn't want to wait in it - glad to know it moves quickly and its going to be our first stop this time. Still debating on Vatican Museum with a 3 year old, especially when its such a hike to get to the Sistine Chapel. I'm glad you enjoyed Tunisia - sounds like other people didn't that went on the ship excursions. I'm hesitant on that one because we are on the 10 day cruise so was going to treat it as a sea day. Looking forward to the rest of your posts! Thanks again!
gatzsd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #93
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzsd View Post
Thanks so much for the tips!! Jeesh - if I would have known about that newstand last time, it would have saved me a lot of headache as there was a huge line! I missed St Peter's basilica last time (walked around the square) because I thought the line was too long and didn't want to wait in it - glad to know it moves quickly and its going to be our first stop this time. Still debating on Vatican Museum with a 3 year old, especially when its such a hike to get to the Sistine Chapel. I'm glad you enjoyed Tunisia - sounds like other people didn't that went on the ship excursions. I'm hesitant on that one because we are on the 10 day cruise so was going to treat it as a sea day. Looking forward to the rest of your posts! Thanks again!
You are very welcome! The newsstand was great. A small line formed while we were there, but nothing like the normal line.

I could not believe how long the walk was to the Sistine Chapel! It went on and on and on.

We did enjoy Tunisia. I understand about needing a sea day break though. We got off the ship early, then were in Sidi Bou Said about 2 hours. So it was only about a 3 hour trip off the ship. The ship was nice and empty when we got back.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #94
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Monday, May 3rd, Day 12 Ė Monaco and Nice

Okay, just to warn you, I took about a million pictures today. I canít believe I took that many, because when we got to the train station, I realized my battery was low. I was really conservative about what I took!

I was really taken with the beauty of Monte Carlo. Look at this city. Itís amazing!

After breakfast at Topsiders, we ordered some Big Island Cookies from room service to get us through the day. We tendered off into Villefranche, and man, that tender was rocking! Even the Magic was rolling a bit.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #95
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

We walked through the edge of VilleFranche which was beautiful too!

We went to the train station and went to Monte Carlo.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #96
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

The train station is at the top of the town which is built into the side of the cliffs. We started the walk down through the town with me snapping pictures the whole way.

Every so often we would come across a public elevator in the middle of the sidewalk that would drop us several levels. Genius!

They were setting up for the Grand Prix:

We walked to the palace stopping for snacks on the way. French bread in France!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #97
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Then we waited for the changing of the guard which was very neat.

Afterwards we walked back up, and took the train to Nice. Hereís the Monte Carlo train station:

Nice wasnít as striking as Monaco, but still pretty. We found a little restaurant that had excellent pizza, and ice cold cokes! In a bottle! Woo hoo!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #98
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

We walked down to the enormous stretch of sand to put our feet in the Mediterranean:

Then we walked back to another train station. We tendered back to the ship and got ready for dinner at Palo.

Palo is amazing, my favorite by far. Itís a do not miss on the cruise. My mother in law wasnít feeling well, so unfortunately she did miss it:

The show tonight was a crew talent show. It wasnít the entertainment people, it was the room stewards, the kidís club workers, the engine room guys, etc. A couple of acts felt like an elementary school talent show, but some of them were very entertaining.

Tonight was the midnight dessert buffet, but after a huge dinner at Palo, there was no way.

We werenít even sure what tonightís animal was. A dinosaur? Loch Ness Monster? It was cool no matter what.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #99
jagmom
Mouseketeer

Maybe an anteater? lol

More amazing pictures!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #100
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmom View Post
Maybe an anteater? lol

More amazing pictures!
Maybe so!!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #101
Adsmama
Mouseketeer

I love your pics!!! Was it easy to know where to find the train? We were thining of finding the bus to monte carlo/monaco. Is it pretty obvious where all the public transport is when you get off the ship?
Adsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #102
Tigger-tastic
Earning My Ears

Great review! I love your pics. Now can't wait for our Med cruise in Sept!!

Tigger-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #103
lovesDCL
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Great Pictures!

I love Palo too! On our honeymoon cruise we went 3 times! Twice for dinner and once for brunch...

lovesDCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #104
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsmama View Post
I love your pics!!! Was it easy to know where to find the train? We were thining of finding the bus to monte carlo/monaco. Is it pretty obvious where all the public transport is when you get off the ship?
It was very easy to find the train station. After you get off the tender you walk into a building with maps and lots of information. We went out and took a right. Just follow the water and you'll see signs for the train. There will also probably be a crowd of fellow cruisers walking with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger-tastic View Post
Great review! I love your pics. Now can't wait for our Med cruise in Sept!!

Thanks Tigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesDCL View Post
Great Pictures!

I love Palo too! On our honeymoon cruise we went 3 times! Twice for dinner and once for brunch...
Ooh! Jealous!!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #105
lovesDCL
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfalcon View Post
Ooh! Jealous!!
Don't be! I gained 7lbs on that cruise! I blame it mostly on Palo

lovesDCL is offline   Reply With Quote