Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #736
radiatorsprings
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Great question! My guess is that the Disney Visa Debit people get the same "perks" as the Visa credit card people because you are paying your $25 annual fee to have it - it should get you something if you have to pay for it!
Hopefully someone will jump in and let us know for 100% sure, though.

I have a a non-Halloween-related question for you, Tiffani - you said you just signed up for your Visa Debit this week. Coincidentally, I was going to do the same thing! I was just looking into upgrading my Chase Debit card in the last two days. But I wanted to do it online, and apparently, according to the website, in order to upgrade a regular Chase Debit Card to the Disney Rewards Debit Card you have to actually go IN to the bank and do it. Is this what you did? Did you have to go into the bank? I uaually do all my banking online or I hit the ATM before the bank opens, but I rarely go there during actual business hours so I didn't want to have to schlep over there to get a Disney Rewards Debit if it can be done over the phone or online in some way.

It could be that they don't make everyone go into the bank to upgrade to Disney, but because I just recently had my WaMu Debit Card switched over to a Chase card (like in April), maybe that requires me to have to go in to switch it.
I actually did go in to sign up for the Disney debit card but I don't think you have to. I opened my chase checking account online and I think they ask you what kind of debit card you want, the disney one being one of the choices if I remember correctly. I just didn't choose it at that time. I decided to sign up for it this past week so I went in to ask them about it and signed up there.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #737
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Sherry E, thanks for posting all the info! It made it easier for me to find rather than trying to read this whole thread (YIKES!).

My family and I are planning a late October trip to DL. We've already done MNSSHP at WDW when DS7 was 4 (of course he slept through everything after an hour and a half of getting there ).

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #738
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcrabb View Post
Sherry, I signed up for the disney debit card right before my trip in May and I did it completely online. I am pretty sure you can do it online but since I was also opening an account instead of using a current one it may be different. There is live help you can chat with at chase.com and I am sure they can tell you if you can or not and hopefully save you a trip.
Tricia
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiatorsprings View Post
I actually did go in to sign up for the Disney debit card but I don't think you have to. I opened my chase checking account online and I think they ask you what kind of debit card you want, the disney one being one of the choices if I remember correctly. I just didn't choose it at that time. I decided to sign up for it this past week so I went in to ask them about it and signed up there.
Thank you so much, Tricia and Tiffani, for your info and help! I almost did click the tab for live help the other day but didn't do it yet. That's got to be better than calling them on the phone - whenever I call the 800 number with a question, it's a disaster. When I went into my account and clicked "Upgrade" Debit Card, they showed me all of these debit cards that Chase "recommends" me to upgrade to - and none of them were Disney! Somewhere in the fine print on some page or other it said that to get a Disney card you have to go into the branch.

I couldn't see any reason why Chase would make anyone go into the branch just to get a Disney Debit Card. They don't even deduct the $25 annual fee until the following month from when you upgrade. The only thing I thought might be different in my case was the fact that they literally just replaced my old WaMu debit card with a standard Chase debit card in April (it was mandatory, not something I opted to do). So maybe, for some reason, they don't like to do upgrades so soon after switching. Ah well, I guess I will use the online 'live help' link, and if I get nowhere with that I will just have to schlep over to the branch at some point during business hours if I want my Disney Visa Debit Card!! I want my special photo op with Buzz & Woody or Chip & Dale or whoever it is these days!! I want my rewards bucks!! And, especially if I don't get another AP for a while, I want the discounts!!

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled HalloweenTime programming....

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 06-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #739
disneymum58
Mouseketeer

Oops! I should have been clearer. I meant that I will be buying the tickets to the Mickey Halloween Party on July 3 with my new DAP. I wanted to know if they will give me the actual tickets that I can use at the gate in October.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #740
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn View Post
Sherry E, thanks for posting all the info! It made it easier for me to find rather than trying to read this whole thread (YIKES!).

My family and I are planning a late October trip to DL. We've already done MNSSHP at WDW when DS7 was 4 (of course he slept through everything after an hour and a half of getting there ).
Oh, you're very welcome! I know this thread has gotten long (which is great, because it's a Super Thread!). Sometimes people will have the time to kind of scroll through and look at all the amazing photos but no time to read the text (I can certainly understand that). Some folks don't even have the time to look at all the photos. Lots of folks only have time to maybe look at the last couple of pages for updates. I figured it would be good to re-post the recap every few pages or so for any new people jumping into the thread.

I hope you enjoy the MHP at DLR - I have heard folks say that the party is not as good MNSSHP at WDW, but that was also when the party (formerly the TOTP) was in DCA. Now that it's in DL, maybe it will be on par somewhat...sort of!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 06-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #741
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymum58 View Post
Oops! I should have been clearer. I meant that I will be buying the tickets to the Mickey Halloween Party on July 3 with my new DAP. I wanted to know if they will give me the actual tickets that I can use at the gate in October.
Oh, I see! So you want to get the MHP tickets at DLR when you get your DAP in July? I assume they will give you the actual tickets for the MHP. I think they should have the hard tickets at the ticket booths. If you order the MHP tickets online then you get the E-ticket thing, but at the actual ticket booths of DLR, I would imagine they have to have real tickets.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #742
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

Quote:
Ahhh...something else to add in! See, I was thnking you meant the Visa people, because that had already been discussed here. I don't think anyone had said anything about the DVC yet, so that's good to know!
Haha, actually I mentioned it a couple pages ago. I asked if the AP and DVC (Disney Vacation Club) discounts were both for the same amount, or if one was more discounted than the other. Guess everyone thought I was talking about Disney Visa!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #743
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
Haha, actually I mentioned it a couple pages ago. I asked if the AP and DVC (Disney Vacation Club) discounts were both for the same amount, or if one was more discounted than the other. Guess everyone thought I was talking about Disney Visa!
Or only I did!! It's funny - I can see DVC mentioned anywhere else on the DIS and I know it is the Vacation Club that's being talked about. For some reason, because I had the Disney Debit Card on the brain, I probably saw the DVC mentioned on this thread and thought 'Disney Visa Card"!!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #744
beckinoz
Mouseketeer

We will be in DL the last week of September 2011. Will DL be done up for Halloween? I would love for my kids to see Halloween decorations as Halloween is not so be Down Under.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #745
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckinoz View Post
We will be in DL the last week of September 2011. Will DL be done up for Halloween? I would love for my kids to see Halloween decorations as Halloween is not so be Down Under.
Probably. DLR tends to kind of switch things up at random, so just as soon as we think we know when a season will start, it starts earlier or later than we expected. They do this sort of thing with both HalloweenTime and Christmas. This year, HalloweenTime is actually starting one week earlier than it did in 2008 or 2009. But in 2007, it started early too, like it will this season. Next year could go back to being a later start or it could be early again. Worst case scenario would probably be that HalloweenTime in 2011 starts on the last Friday in September. So just make sure you are at DLR over that last Friday in September to be on the safe side. If it starts early again like this year, we should find out a few months ahead of time so you will know what to expect.

The Halloween party always begins on the first Friday in October.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #746
beckinoz
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. We have a week at DL before Disney's Mexican cruise so hopefully we will see something.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #747
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Is it just me having trouble "justifying" the cost of the party

Maybe it's just me, but $44 - $59 per person seems an awful lot for some candy and a fireworks display...

It's not really as if you get extended opening - the parks should (I assume) be open that late on other nights anyway. As for the fireworks - I seem to remember that you get a pretty good view from outside the park anyway (not as good as from inside, but still reasonable).

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #748
MattsPrincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstitch View Post

Maybe it's just me, but $44 - $59 per person seems an awful lot for some candy and a fireworks display...

It's not really as if you get extended opening - the parks should (I assume) be open that late on other nights anyway. As for the fireworks - I seem to remember that you get a pretty good view from outside the park anyway (not as good as from inside, but still reasonable).
There's also the special character photo areas. But no, you aren't the only one. I'm a super budgeter, so it's hard for me to feel ok about this. Currently, i'm justifying with the fact that DH is military, so we could move clear across the country, or to a different country, at any given moment. This may be our only chance to experience this, so that makes me feel like it's worth it this year. Now, if we're still at our base next October and think of going...i'll have to come up with a different story!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #749
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstitch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsPrincess View Post
There's also the special character photo areas. But no, you aren't the only one. I'm a super budgeter, so it's hard for me to feel ok about this. Currently, i'm justifying with the fact that DH is military, so we could move clear across the country, or to a different country, at any given moment. This may be our only chance to experience this, so that makes me feel like it's worth it this year. Now, if we're still at our base next October and think of going...i'll have to come up with a different story!
I'm in the same boat. I have to kind of play it by ear, both money-wise and just mood-wise. Some days I feel more like I want to go. Other days I think I could skip it. I would want to see how MHP is set up in Disneyland - that's the main reason I'd want to go. I am hoping they will add in more little decorations or surprises all over DL (like more so than in the previous years) and more characters too. I mean, if money were no object for me, of course I would go in a hot minute and not even question it. But at the moment, money is a big issue for me so I have to really weigh the pros and cons.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #750
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I have to kind of play it by ear, both money-wise and just mood-wise. Some days I feel more like I want to go. Other days I think I could skip it. I would want to see how MHP is set up in Disneyland - that's the main reason I'd want to go. I am hoping they will add in more little decorations or surprises all over DL (like more so than in the previous years) and more characters too. I mean, if money were no object for me, of course I would go in a hot minute and not even question it. But at the moment, money is a big issue for me so I have to really weigh the pros and cons.
I very much agree that if money was no object then id go.

But - i look at what else that $135 (3 of us on this trip) could buy (plenty of souvenirs to remember the trip forever with, a good meal somewhere like blue bayou or a good portion of a meal at napa rose) and these uses always seem so much better value than the party.

Personally i think they've priced it quite high considering you're not really getting many exclusives apart form the fireworks. For me i think the sweet spot would be the ability to obtain tickets at around $25 each - that would put us nearer £50 total and id be far more tempted...

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: