Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #46
smeecanada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchsMommy View Post
My best earning period was when DS was in daycare. He was at the YMCA they would take mastercard for the monthly cost (which was around $900 - gotta love Toronto ) so I was getting large airmiles that way. I have a 1mile for every $15 spent BMO MC and there is where I rack up the most points. I have had good luck at Dominion in the past but now there is no store close to me so I forgo that one. We also save for park tickets. Ive never had any luck with airline tickets and when taxes are factored in I can usually fly out of buffalo for just the cost of the taxes alone! I do need to install the toolbar though, keep forgetting!
I save for other things now as well. The taxes or the flight schedules usually don't work for us.

We charge everything possible to BMO Mastercard (utilities/insurance/groceries/gas etc.), use Amerian Express AM card at Costco, Safeway, have HBC points converted, Shell, Boston Pizza, etc.

What is the deal with the toolbar?
: 1992, 2007, 2013
DCL: AUG07 4day: Wonder, AUG08 15day EB REPO, 04JUL09 EASTERN, 23OCT10 EASTERN, 23AUG11 ALASKA, 25AUG12 NY/BAHAMAS, 24AUG13 FANTASY EASTERN 20SEP14 SOUTHERN

Last edited by smeecanada; 06-03-2010 at 11:28 AM.
smeecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #47
maxie
Thanks so much for the tips
We are getting a Disney fix of some kind!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0899 View Post
Just came back from the Leila Ave Safeway, got 441 airmiles for $218! Love those bonus coupons.
I beat you this time! I got 494 AM. I spend at little more however. I think the total was $240 something which is higher than I normally spent.

Thankfully I'm getting the bonus coupons regularly now.
maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #48
maxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeecanada View Post
I save for other things now as well. The taxes or the flight schedules usually don't work for us.

We charge everything possible to BMO Mastercard (utilities/insurance/groceries/gas etc.), use Amerian Express AM card at Costco, Safeway, have HBC points converted, Shell, Boston Pizza, etc.

What is the deal with the toolbar?

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Toolbar

30 Airmiles a month for using the search tool bar. 5 AM per every 50 searches
Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #49
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

I love Safeway for collecting AirMiles. I got 98 AM today on just prescriptions. They give 7x the AM based on the total value of prescription so if you have coverage then you pay your portion but collect on total amount of prescription.

I just started collecting AM last July when I realized that I could redeem them for Disney passes. I have since collected enough AM to obtain (4) 7 day child passes for Disney. As soon as I have enough AM, I order a Disney pass because they don't expire so we are set for the next couple of years.

I also gas up at Shell since they have the 10x the AM on right now. It is so amazing how quickly it adds up.

I also signed up for AirMiles Surveys and get various amount of AM for filling out surveys on-line.
Kat&Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #50
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

I've been slacking in racking up my air miles lately, so I need to get back on track with that!

Our local safeway has been offering 50 airmiles with a $40 purchase. This can be combined with the bonus 100 airmiles when you spend $100 as well. I haven't been going lately - I find a lot of Safeway's prices are too high. I did notice last time I was there though that they're lowering their prices, so I should make it a point to watch the flyers and get there at least once a week.

Even more than airmiles, I love my shoppers points!
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #51
maxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
I've been slacking in racking up my air miles lately, so I need to get back on track with that!

Our local safeway has been offering 50 airmiles with a $40 purchase. This can be combined with the bonus 100 airmiles when you spend $100 as well. I haven't been going lately - I find a lot of Safeway's prices are too high. I did notice last time I was there though that they're lowering their prices, so I should make it a point to watch the flyers and get there at least once a week.

Even more than airmiles, I love my shoppers points!
I never understand how people collect that much at shoppers? How much medication and greeting cards can you buy? I guess if you get a lot of prescriptions filled there it would add up. What do you even get as rewards? Haven't checked into mine lately. I only pick up the occasional flyer item or medication there.

Safeway is slightly higher prices on than some places. I know for sure the 4L of milk is way more expensive at Sobey's than at Safeway here in Winnipeg.

I could never save enough shopping elsewhere to match the $3000+ worth of rewards I redeem for Airmiles per year. I would have to save at least $250 a month shopping elsewhere to equal my Airmiles value. With a monthly grocery budget of $500-$600 for a family of 4 that is not going to happen.

When I talk to people about Safeway I say if your primary goal is saving money don't shop there. However if your primary goal is to earn travel rewards it's the best place to go.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #52
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxie View Post
I never understand how people collect that much at shoppers? How much medication and greeting cards can you buy? I guess if you get a lot of prescriptions filled there it would add up. What do you even get as rewards? Haven't checked into mine lately. I only pick up the occasional flyer item or medication there.
We have one of those super shoppers (with the big grocery section) about a couple of blocks away from us. They have the lowest prices on milk, eggs and cheese in town. I get my points when they have the bonus points when you spend $50. I can easily get $50 worth of milk, juice boxes, yogurt, granola bars, lunch snacks, deodorant, etc. Last Christmas I got a Wii, 2 games and an extra controller and it ended up costing me $40, after I cashed in my points.

I only buy things that are on sale for a good price - same as safeway. I find it hard to spend $100 worth in one shot there, as so much stuff is overpriced.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 06-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #53
ado121
DIS Veteran

just came home from my weekly shop at safeway. got $122 worth of stuff for 182 airmiles.
ado121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #54
cab0899
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=maxie;36874050]I never understand how people collect that much at shoppers? How much medication and greeting cards can you buy? I guess if you get a lot of prescriptions filled there it would add up. What do you even get as rewards? Haven't checked into mine lately. I only pick up the occasional flyer item or medication there.

It racks up very quickly with medications (son's medications cost $120/month) and then I use the points to pay for the medications once we max out the Blue Cross for the year. Although I did switch to Safeway about a year ago.
cab0899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #55
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

re: shoppers
I usually shop on the 20x points days and redeem them when they have the top up for redemption weekends.
I've gotten netbooks and a wii and wii games in the past couple of months.
I have another kid in diapers so it does add up fast. I try and get the diapers on sale on the 20x days. My mother and I also join forces and transfer points between us if needed.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #56
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
My mother and I also join forces and transfer points between us if needed.
I transfer my points to my mom so she can purchase my big ticket items on seniors day 20% off, using my shoppers points.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #57
FLVacationGirl
Mouseketeer

Nice to see other Airmiles + Disney addicts here. I'm in Winnipeg as well, we should have do a meet up sometime. Garden City is too far for me, time and gas-wise, to make it worth it. A few years ago, I used to call Safeway's 1-800 number to see which stores had the best deal. That year we used airmiles to pay for 3 5-day park passes for our first Disney trip. My record was 1100 airmiles in one shopping trip and I've been slacking since. I'll try to get back on the wagon.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #58
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

I just came home from Metro. They are having a bonus AM week. I spent $103 and got 120 miles.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #59
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks for this great tip. I downloaded the tool bar and have collected 15 AM for the past week.

I went shopping at Safeway today and spent $39 but got 66 AM. I just need 1,300 more AM before November so that I can get my Disney pass for free.
Kat&Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #60
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:

I just added this as well. Seems like it will take a while to earn a mile or two though. I guess I will have to think up some things to search.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: