Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #76
MadiMouse
Member of the 2011 WDW Moms Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
I'd love to see your shirts! One tip: The part of the shirt with the iron-on doesn't "breathe." My DH complains that he is hotter with a big iron-on and you can see the sweat seep out around it. The kids haven't complained. Just thought I'd mention it, since you're going in July.
Thank you for the tip!! I will be sure to post the completed project!

2011 - 2012 Walt Disney World Moms Panel

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #77
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

DH's mom and stepdad and sister and her family had arrived late the night before. They were staying at a hotel very close to Universal last night and tonight. SIL and BIL were meeting up with friends from Florida, while MIL and FIL took care of the kids, Kyle and Avery. We decided to meet them for dinner at our hotel.

DH and the kids are much faster at getting ready for dinner than I am, so they took a walk after they were ready. Loew's hotels often have complimentary drinks set out in the lobby and here they had some around the pool too. They always had cold water with lemons available by the pool too. In the lobby on check out day they had strawberry lemonade. A nice touch, I think. On a theme park vacation, you're not used to getting anything for free.
Here is Jacob with a complimentary drink and a picture of Citywalk at dusk:

I was supposed to call DH and join them when I was ready. I couldn't reach him, so I figured his cell phone was off or dead. He finally figured that out and called me from the lobby when his mom and everyone arrived. We decided to eat at a place called Jake's (I think.) It was a nice looking place and not busy at all. We were seated in a back part of the restaurant--almost a separate room all by ourselves. I guess they saw 5 kids and wanted to keep us away from everyone! Either that or that's the only place they had room for a table of 9.

The menu looked good, but the service was ridiculously slow. It took forever to get our food. (Even though it wasn't busy.) Fortunately the kids were so happy to see each other, they kept each other entertained. I didn't take any pictures, sorry. I can't remember what we ate. It was good. I'm glad we were just relaxing and not in a hurry.

Last edited by dr&momto2boys; 05-26-2010 at 10:30 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #78
dd50
DIS Veteran

Royal Pacific looks nice. I will have to remember that if we go to Universal next year. I haven't been to Universal in years.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #79
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

So cute your boys thought that Grampa was in the Norway film

I agree about Deluxe Dining. Waaayy too much food! We did it for the first time this last trip & probably will not do it again.

We love Chefs though & did eat there last time. Enjoying the report.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #80
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Sorry I didn't add much today! I asked my DH to sit down with me and rough out a park plan for our December trip so I could figure out which places to request ADRs for next week. Well, he suggested we start our trip with a 3 day cruise! And I thought I was bad! Now we've been trying to figure out how to make that happen. Now I'm less prepared for making ADRs than ever and our relaxing Christmas trip is turning into one of our normal pack everything in kind of trips. That's just the way we are though! I knew it would come to that eventually!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #81
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

May 8th, 2010

Day 4:

The whole gang met in the lobby of RPR. MIL and SIL's family had taxied over from there close by hotel. They stayed at RPR for this one night so they could have Express Access to all the rides for this day and the next. They quickly checked in and their room was ready right away so they followed the porter to their room and dumped their stuff. (Here's a better picture of the lobby and courtyard.)

We all headed out to walk to Islands of Adventure. We got a little down the path when BIL realized they had left their kids' autograph books in the room. He went back to get them while we waited and the kids played. Jacob used his spray bottle to water all the plants along the way.

Finally BIL caught up and we got to IOA. It was already open (barely) and MIL rented a stroller for the kids since SIL's family didn't bring one, but we thought the kids would do better with the option of riding.

We meandered over to Spiderman knowing how busy it gets, but to my complete shock--it wasn't busy at all! We didn't even use the express line. Jacob and Kyle went on this ride and they like it, but Jacob noticed the seats were wet and was fearing getting wet the whole time. (It mists a little as one of the effects.) One thing I love about Universal is how elaboratly themed the lines for the rides are. On Spiderman, part of the lines takes you through the Daily Planet. (That's the name of the newspaper, right?)

Last edited by dr&momto2boys; 10-29-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #82
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

I have no idea why most of the pictures are huge when I went through one by one and resized them to medium. The two that are correct were resized at different times. Weird and annoying!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #83
MadiMouse
Member of the 2011 WDW Moms Panel

Great update! I love IOA. DH and I found that we could do all of the park attractions by lunch time. We loved the front of the line access.

2011 - 2012 Walt Disney World Moms Panel

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #84
AR81
DIS Veteran

Great report so far!!! I am so looking forward to those grand villa pics and reviews. If you don't mind me asking, can the grand villa be reserved with cash or does have to be dvc points? Keep the pics coming, they are wonderful....
Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #85
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

How long of a walk was it from your hotel to Islands of Adventure?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #86
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

Great update! The grounds at the hotel look beautiful and I love the kids matching shirts

Old 05-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #87
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I love the Universal pictures, and the pics of your new hotel room, it's really pretty! I'm hoping to get to Universal when my DH and I go back to FL in November, we always plan to go then decide not to at the last minute! Mostly because I can't stand the thought of being away from Disney for a whole day, but I'll have to get over it!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #88
firechick139
Mouseketeer

Subbing! I love your in-detail style of writing. I feel like I'm right there along with you.

All Star Movies - Nov 7-16, 2008 (Grand Gathering)

Port Orleans Riverside - Nov. 7-15, 2009 (daughter & her dance class invited to dance at Disney!)
Pop Century - Aug. 4-16, 2014 (Mother/Daughter trip after 5 long years with no Disney!)

Old 05-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #89
tracisup
Traci

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
We're just home from our May 2010 Disney trip! This was a nine night/ ten day, 3 resort, 11 person vacation. I have a lot to share! I did take 2400 pictures...but I promise I won't share them all! Let's get started.

Here's the trip itinerary:
May 5th Arrive at Beach Club Villas
*Beaches & Cream and Stormalong Bay*
May 6th Epcot
*Flower & Garden Festival, Akershus, Rose & Crown, Chefs de France*
May 7th DHS and transfer to Universal
*Cape May Cafe, Sci-Fi Drive In, and Royal Pacific Resort*
May 8th Islands of Adventure
*Mythos, face painting*
May 9th Universal Studios and transfer to Bay Lake Tower--Grand Villa!
*Mother's Day, Lombard's, and pics of a $10,000/night hotel room*
May 10th MK and swim day
*Re-thinking our plans, Bay Lake Tower pool, 'Ohana, Spectromagic*
May 11th AK
*Face painting, tatoos, Whispering Canyon Cafe*
May 12th MK
*Main Street Barber Shop, Cinderella's Royal Table*
May 13th DHS
*Last time we were here 4 of ten of us, left Prime Time Cafe with wet pants--will we really try it again?*
May 14th MK and go home
*A day of favorites or never-got-to's, Crystal Palace*

Guess what!? We were at Ohana AND Whispering Canyon on the same days!

I just looked at the time stamp on the Ohana pics and it shows us in the lobby waiting for a tablke at 6:26 and eating dessert at 7:56. Were you there then? I have a few group shots of the kids that we will post when we come to that point in the report and I have some table shots that have others in them.

The time stamp on the Whispering Canyon Cafe shows that we were seated at 8PM. I remember that we had to wait AGES for a table even tho we had reservations. I think we waited over an hour. Were you there then? Did you have a waitress that talked so much that you couldnt carry on a proper family conversation? If so then maybe you were there next to us! LOL

Me --Traci DH - Adam DS - Andrew --22 DS - Adam --20 DD - Brooklyn --8 DD - Paris --7
DS - Maxwell --5

5/10 Contemporary Resort - After A Year Of Planning We Winged It! Our First Disney Vacation
9/10 Wilderness Lodge - We Just HAD To Go Back!
6/11 Wilderness Lodge - Our Magical Memories
9/10 Ten Year Anniversary - 3 day get-away (without the kids!!)
6/12 Contemporary Resort Tower
6/13 Contemporary Resort Tower
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #90
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMouse View Post
Great update! I love IOA. DH and I found that we could do all of the park attractions by lunch time. We loved the front of the line access.
I loved the FOTL too! Even though we didn't need it so much because it was slow, it came in handy a few times. There was never any wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR81 View Post
Great report so far!!! I am so looking forward to those grand villa pics and reviews. If you don't mind me asking, can the grand villa be reserved with cash or does have to be dvc points? Keep the pics coming, they are wonderful....
They can be reserved for cash if no one has reserved them. I read an article that said at certain times it may rent out for as much as $10,000 per night! I don't know if that's true, and that certainly isn't our kind of lifestyle--but it makes a good story! We did spend mega points on it. We saved our points for a couple of years to use on this extended family vacation.

I'm sure the grand villas would rent out for more than $1000 per week night and more on the weekends. (Based on the rental value of the number of points we used.) It could be much more I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
How long of a walk was it from your hotel to Islands of Adventure?
About ten minutes-- at least at our pace. Not bad at all and it's a pretty walk. We rode the boat back, but because IOA is closest to RPR it was almost as long of a walk and a longer wait to take the boat from Citywalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
Great update! The grounds at the hotel look beautiful and I love the kids matching shirts
Thank you! My boys like picking out designs and making the shirts with me. It's become a tradition. (Until my kids get too old and "cool" for it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I love the Universal pictures, and the pics of your new hotel room, it's really pretty! I'm hoping to get to Universal when my DH and I go back to FL in November, we always plan to go then decide not to at the last minute! Mostly because I can't stand the thought of being away from Disney for a whole day, but I'll have to get over it!
I know the feeling, but it is worth it. Just go more days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechick139 View Post
Subbing! I love your in-detail style of writing. I feel like I'm right there along with you.
Thanks! I'm not the writer in the family. The TR would be hilarious if my DH wrote it. I'm more of a photo journalist.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: