DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
coelacanth77
Earning My Ears

Going to parks week after Thanksgiving?

HELP!

Ok, we had planned on going to Disney around 2nd week of December but are now considering going to beach the week of Thanksgiving, arrive at our resort on the day after Thanksgiving and then start hitting the parks the Sunday after Thanksgiving..... We were also considering maybe going to SSR mid-Thanksgiving week and then transitioning over to Kidani half-way-thru... so here are my questions?

1. How are driving conditions around this time? We may stay at Siesta Key the week of Thanksgiving and then drive to our resort SSR on the Friday after.

2. How crazy are the parks? We were thinking about starting out in the parks beginning the Sunday after Thanksgiving and going to the parks all week thru Saturday.

3. Any tips on how to best do this vacation during this time? Is there any fun/unique activites that Disney or the beach areas do during this time? Is it worth going during this time or should we hold off and do our vacation during 2nd week of December?

4. Is it more difficult to get resorts booked during this time? Thanks for all your help and we will take ANY tips or thoughts you have to offer,
coelacanth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
wildernessDad
DIS Veteran

At this point in time, it's difficult to get book DVC resorts for the 2nd week of December or any time from Thanksgiving to the end of the year.

wildernessDad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
coelacanth77
Earning My Ears

We will not be going until 2011

I am just informational gathering for next year
Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
dopeygirl76
DIS Veteran

This year we arrived in WDW the Saturday after Thanksgiving and stayed for a week. We were lucky enough to have our WL for BCV come through - which was amazing in itself!!!!

It was busy but not horrible. I think from Monday on it was fine - most people has left on Monday. I must add we do not do ANYTHING comando - we take our time and go at our leisure - if we get too tired we leave. The week after Thanksgiving was great because we were able to do all of the Christmas stuff, The Osborne Lights, DVCs Merry Mixer, The holiday decorations were out.
Dec 06 POP (First Family trip - ME 6 months preg) Nov 07 POFQ with MIL & FIL Apr 08 SSR 1st DVC, DD 4th b-day, ME & DH 7th ANN Oct 08 VWL Apr 09 OKW, FILs 60th Bday Nov 09 BCVApr 10 OKW DSis HS grad the WHOLE famSept 10 SSMC 1st time Cruising and BLT!Apr 11AKV-Kidani 10th Anniversary & EasterDec 11SSR 1st CPMay 12Disney's Doubletree DTD work & fun all in one!Aug 12 DCL 5day Carribbean CruiseNov 12 Thanksgiving with the Mouse!!!
dopeygirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Crowds the week of Thanksgiving are building and reach a peak from Wednesday to Sunday. Sunday they fall off quite a bit, and the following week is very empty as far as the parks are concerned. That being said, we didn't find the Thanksgiving crowds to be nearly as daunting as other holiday times.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
shortypots
DIS Veteran

I am actually curious about the driving conditions myself as we will more than likely be driving down for Sat to Sat of Thanksgiving week.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
coelacanth77
Earning My Ears

All good info, the driving conditions would be good to know...

So, it sounds like most people check out probably that Sunday which would cause the volumes to drop a lot.... that is good to know. When do they start all the Christmas stuff? Thanks,
Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth77 View Post
So, it sounds like most people check out probably that Sunday which would cause the volumes to drop a lot.... that is good to know. When do they start all the Christmas stuff? Thanks,
Most decorations go up from early November through December. You will see quite a few by Thanksgiving, and the week following will see most everything complete in that department. They usually do the filming of the Christmas parade that first week in December, and after that they finish the little remaining touches.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
campbellus
Earning My Ears

Week after Thanksgiving

We have been twice that week after Thanksgiving is over. Everything is decorated for the holidays...and everyone leaves at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend...so crowds have been the lowest we have seen during that week.
Temps are mild, some days we started off in sweatshirts or ended up needing them in the evening but were in shorts and t-shirts most days...only one or two days did the temps not go high enough to take off jackets.
This is by far my family's most favorite week of the year. What more can you ask for...low crowds yet all the decor of the season...really puts us in the holiday mood when we return home.

I think you will find this to be one of the most relaxing weeks at the parks. Can take things in-at a leasurely pace, yet you will get to do everything that any other time of the year could be done...except there won't be 3 million people in your way!!!
Enjoy!!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
bellman
Earning My Ears

I have driven down from Indina over the Thanksgiving weekend 4 of the last 7 years. The traffic is fairly heavy with the occasional maniac trying to speed by cutting off other drivers and swithcing lanes. You will want to check the U of F football schedule to make sure they do not have a home game when you are planning to come through the Gainsville (sp?) area. I75 turns into a parking lot for miles on game days.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
coelacanth77
Earning My Ears

Great pount on U of F schedule....

Looks like they will be playing Florida State on 11/26 and the SEC Championship game will be in Atlanta, GA on 12/03. Are these usually day games or night? Thanks,
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
coelacanth77
Earning My Ears

Looks like games are usually between 3:00 and 4:00...

As far as highway traffic volumes are concerned which day is usually worse? Thanksgiving or Black Friday? This has all been VERY helpful!!!

Tags
akl, crowd levels, parks, resorts, thanksgiving

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: