Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
sdhines00
Earning My Ears

Dinner Dress Code

We are sailing out on June 4th on our very first Disney cruise. I was just wondering what the dress code was for dinner. I have looked online and called CS and have gotten different answers. Can we wear jeans and a polo type shirt?
sdhines00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

I was just on the Wonder last week. I wore a dress to dinner every night. I saw a lot of ladies dressed in nice dresses, I saw some guys in jeans, but most of them had on khakis. I was surprised to see so many people "dressed" each night.

However, to answer your question, yes, you can wear jeans each night. The Wonder is very casual.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The only place with a dress code is Palo. Otherwise, it is listed as "suggested dress," but there is no enforcement of any sort and there are always people who choose to not follow the suggestions. On our 2009 cruises, the Wonder had dropped the "request no jeans at dinner" on the Navigators, but it remained on the Magic. More recently cruisers have reported a line requesting no jeans at dinner on the Wonder again...so I can't speak to that personally.

There is no question that the Wonder is much more casual than the Magic.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
eskimoinparadise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The only place with a dress code is Palo. Otherwise, it is listed as "suggested dress," but there is no enforcement of any sort and there are always people who choose to not follow the suggestions. On our 2009 cruises, the Wonder had dropped the "request no jeans at dinner" on the Navigators, but it remained on the Magic. More recently cruisers have reported a line requesting no jeans at dinner on the Wonder again...so I can't speak to that personally.

Almost anything other than stark naked seems to be acceptable on the Wonder. I've seen people dressed better at a tractor pull
eskimoinparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
skuttle
Counting the days until our next trip!

We're going on the June 4th cruise, too! It's also our first time on DCL. My DH and DS will be wearing polo shirts with khaki pants for dinner. I might let DS wear shorts after I see what others wear on the first night. I plan on wearing a sundress and/or casual skirts.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Redeemed&Loved
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttle View Post
We're going on the June 4th cruise, too! It's also our first time on DCL. My DH and DS will be wearing polo shirts with khaki pants for dinner. I might let DS wear shorts after I see what others wear on the first night. I plan on wearing a sundress and/or casual skirts.
I think that sounds great! Better to be a little over-dressed than under-dressed in almost any setting!
Disney Fantasy - 9/2012

Redeemed&Loved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
sdhines00
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great info. Also will there be someone to take my kids (Brianna 8 and Ethan 5) to the Oceaneers club after they are done with dinner so I can have somewhat of a peaceful dinner with adult conversation It's so hard to do that now since my husband, their father passed away over 2 years ago I plan on reserving our next cruise while on board (Dec. 18, 2011). It will be for Briann's birthday. Has anyone sailed during the holidays? Is it as magical as they say it is? See you guys next week

sdhines00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Cruises near/during the holidays are totally Magical! If there is any way you can add a few days at WDW, the resorts and parks are equally wonderful.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
Rainwater
It comes down to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

So is slacks and a button down shirt okay for Palo's for dinner? I have no desire to bring a coat and tie on vacation.
Rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
solazzo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
I was just on the Wonder last week. I wore a dress to dinner every night. I saw a lot of ladies dressed in nice dresses, I saw some guys in jeans, but most of them had on khakis. I was surprised to see so many people "dressed" each night.

However, to answer your question, yes, you can wear jeans each night. The Wonder is very casual.
so for young boys age 5 - I am thinking
cruise casual: dress shorts & polo top
dressy night: khaki slacks & polo top
do you think this is a safe bet?
solazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainwater View Post
So is slacks and a button down shirt okay for Palo's for dinner? I have no desire to bring a coat and tie on vacation.
Unfortunately, yes. On our last cruise most men weren't wearing a tie and it seemed that about half were not wearing a sport coat even though it is suggested by Disney. The only reason I know this is that we had a party of seven and one of the men made a point to count the # of guys not wearing a sportcoat and tie as I had asked that everyone wear one that night. I had never seen Palo as casual ad it was on the Wonder.

That said, I don't recall seeing anyone in shorts or jeans in the main dining room, but I wasn't looking for it either.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Redeemed&Loved
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solazzo View Post
so for young boys age 5 - I am thinking
cruise casual: dress shorts & polo top
dressy night: khaki slacks & polo top
do you think this is a safe bet?
Yes - that's what we're doing for our little one
Disney Fantasy - 9/2012

Redeemed&Loved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Andrea_loves_Disney
DIS Veteran

HI !
We cruised on the Magic last year and we followed the dress "suggestions" and wore no shorts or jeans at dinner...I did notice that lots of people were dressed more casually than we were. We are leaving on the Wonder on June 8 and I think I am going to plan DS10 to wear nice shorts and polos for dinners... except on the dressy night and he will wear khaki pants for that. I am going to wear nice capris for dinner mostly and a dress for the dressy night. No jacket for DH though...just dress shirt and nice khakis. I worried about it way too much last year - I am going to be waaaaay more relaxed this time!!

Andrea_loves_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Missy_rntt
Missy_Rntt

I have posted this in reply to a similar question. I'm a single parent and my son is 12. What we did for for formal night for him was to get a pair of nicer perma press white shorts (not the long or baggy ones!) I had him wear a shirt and tie with a navy blazer and matching navy kneesocks. It was 'dressy" but not overly so and the formal experience was wonderful for him.
Missy_rntt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner, dress code

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: