Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

IMPORTANT!! All DCL cruisers please read!!

Hi everyone,

The site has been asked by to relay the following message regarding stateroom door decorations on DCL ships:
More and more guests are choosing to express their family pride and enthusiasm for Disney Cruise Line by decorating their stateroom doors aboard our ships.

As you might imagine, it is very important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests.

As part of our commitment to this area of focus, we ask that guests no longer affix anything to their stateroom door utilizing any adhesive or tape.

We have found that these adhesives damage the finish on the stateroom doors and therefore ask that guests limit door decoration to those of the magnetic variety.

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY GEL DECORATIONS...THEY DISCOLOR THE DOORS AND FURNITURE.
Unofficially, what I'm hearing is that DCL is considering the possibility of levying surcharges on people who damage the door finish with adhesives. They're trying to avoid that because the really do appreciate the passion and creativity that people are putting into this, but the issue with the finishes coming off the doors is getting to be a real issue. I know some have already received this notice on-board the ship, but I wanted to make sure it's out there for everyone.

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited by mmouse37; 12-25-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added info about GEL decorations
WebmasterPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Thank you

Thanks for posting this! My family is going on our first Disney cruise (and, for most of us, our first big cruise ever) and I (the planner) am looking for ways to make this a special trip. I will stick to magnets and warn the little ones against stickering their rooms. They'll have to stick to stickering us - we're all used to it, anyway.
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
eskimoinparadise
Mouseketeer

Please also ask DCL guests to kindly refrain from "acquiring" magnetic door decorations from someone else's cabin door. Over the last eight cruises, we've yet to finish a DCL cruise with the same door decorations that we started with.
eskimoinparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimoinparadise View Post
Please also ask DCL guests to kindly refrain from "acquiring" magnetic door decorations from someone else's cabin door. Over the last eight cruises, we've yet to finish a DCL cruise with the same door decorations that we started with.
That's terrible! I can't believe someone would take your decorations. I'll have to bring doubles for our doors. Thank you for the warning, though I'm sorry you had to experience it!
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
disdel
Ears? Anyone remember the GEnie boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimoinparadise View Post
Same plea from me. Spread the word, and maybe the TA's here can provide a little monograph about the whole door magnet subject to their clients.
MAGIC Western Caribbean 10/06/07 WONDER 11/06/08MAGIC Transatlantic 4/10-24, 2010 WONDER in Alaska 6/28/11 DREAM 11/10/11 MAGIC in NYC 6/15/12 FANTASY New Year's Eve 12/28/13 DREAM 1/12/14 MAGIC WBTA 9/6/14 WONDER 10/01/14 - Completing 4 ships in 1 year

and waaaay too many visits to WDW to list (including midnight for the "millenium" - Y2K, bah), but never enough
disdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They were re-painting a LOT of doors on our cruise last week! Mine was a mess, but it looked more like grey and dirty, not messed up finish. Supposedly there weren't any empty outside cabins, so they either mis-represented that or they were painting doors of cabins with guests staying in them as well as empty ones.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
tonyvinci
Earning My Ears

We had some door decorations but with all the excitement of our first Disney Cruise we forgot to buy "stick-on" magnets!! I was talking to our our cabin steward about this and he told me to go see guest services and wouldn't you know it; they gave me about half a dozen stick on magnets. My DD was so excited to decorate our door.
September 1996: Outside WDW (Never Again!!!!)
September 2008: Old Key West Resort
March 2010: Disney Wonder & Wilderness Lodge
December 2012: Wilderness Lodge

tonyvinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
ruley3
DIS Veteran

Yes We love the magnets!!!!! I have not had anyone take mine however the last time my Father traveled someone took the magnet that was in honor of our Mother that was special made...... Probably kids playing a joke but it was not a good thing....

Gold Member "Vacation to save Sanity"

ruley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
JenGC
DIS Veteran

magnets

I hope this is not TOO dumb of a question but, where do you get the magnets to decorate your door? We are going to celebrate my daughter's birthday and was curious as to what kind of magnets you are talking about. I know the small ones, but I think that would be too little.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

There are magnet threads here on the Dis in the cruise section. You go to Office Depo or another supply store and buy magnetic paper and print up your own magnets. There are some people on these boards that will personalize the magnets for you also

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
cmash95
a princess at heart

the little sitck on magnets you can get at any craft store like micheals, they also have rolls of stick on magnet strip you can get. I happen to like the squares the best. It's getting hard to find the magnetic paper sheets, the last time I used them I had to order them online and they can be pretty pricey.
Actually disney has had this policy in place for a couple of years now. I think they started it in 2008 because we were informed of it before our canal cruise. If I remember right it was no tape or adhesive other than magnets were allowed. I do know that some people were trying out the window clingy things that you get for the holidays, maybe those attack the finish as well. I have never used those type of decorations on anything but windows so I don't know for sure.
september 2006- carnival miracle
may 2008 - disney magic reposition through panama canal
December 2009 - disney magic eastern with stop in st croix.
August 2010 - disney wonder 5 day castaway cay
june 2011- dinsey dream 5 day castaway cay
june 2012- Disney fantasy 7 day eastern
cmash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Wow, for a second I thought this was about Disney asking folks to stop decorating their doors. I use magnets so all is good! Whew.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
our2disneygirls
Mouseketeer

So as to not have anyone question my ability at reading comprehension, I did understand the "no adhesive" language above. That said, I'll ask the obvious question: Does this also include the removable adhesive stickers that you can buy that are guaranteed no to mar walls, paint, etc.?

I ask because we picked a bunch of these for our cruise this past March on the Magic. A number of people commented favorably on our door and the kids really enjoyed decorating it. We removed everything the day before debarking and I saw no evidence of any damage. I'd like to do it again but don't want to get into any trouble. Any thoughts?
DL 2003, 2008, 2009, 2011 (DL 1/2 Marathon)
our2disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
tomspixie
Our friends got us hooked on the Tortuga Rum Liquer
We have an obnoxious number of points

We have been using the 3M Command hooks in the staterooms...we haven't left any marks there....I hope it isn't the 3M stuff! On the door we just use magnets....

tomspixie
tomspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Dianatlol
šoš Disney World / Cruise Addict šoš

We usually end up with getting FE gifts stolen. Walk in see them, come out a couple min leter to gather them and most are gone....

We use Magnets
2010 Caribbean Beach & Wonder Cruise
2011 Magic 7 Day Cruise (May 7, 2011)
2013 DisneyLand
2014 Fantasy 7 Day Cruise (July 19, 2014)
Dianatlol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: