Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

May 6, 2010

Day 2
This morning we had an 8am ADR for Akershus...or so we thought! It was a beautiful morning and it's such a nice walk to Epcot. The boardwalk is beautiful in the morning.

We got to the World Showcase entrance at about 7:40am. We were the only ones there. They asked if we had breakfast reservations and said they'd open up as soon as they got word to do so. When they got the okay to let us in at about 7:55, the CM checked the ADR list and we weren't on it. I know we had an ADR and even had the confirmation number with us. The CM was going to make a phone call but the person in charge said to just let us go through.

We walked swiftly but took the time to snap a few photos of an empty Epcot.

Unfortunately we weren't on the list at Akershus either, but since they weren't full they never looked into why we weren't on the list. It just annoyed me a bit that they seated a whole bunch of people before us even though we were there before them. I tried to just relax and tell myself we don't HAVE to make rope drop at 9am (even though I really wanted to!)

While we were waiting in line for our photo with Princess Aurora, Max tripped over DH's foot and hit his head into the post that held the rope for the line. He hit his forehead quite hard and started crying. CMs offered him ice and he used it. We skipped our picture with permission to come back later to do it. Looks like we weren't going anywhere fast today!

May 2010 Trip Report: 2400 pictures! Beach Club, Universal, and Bay Lake Tower Grand Villa

Feb 2012 Trip Report: Longest Trip Ever! 19 Days, VGC, Aulani, and More!

Oct 2012 Trip Report: 2 1/2 weeks in Hollywood and Disneyland!

Feb 2013 Trip Report: From Grand Villas to Fort Wilderness!

Sept 2013 Trip Report: 17 Disney Days! Too much? 5 kids! Too many?!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #32
dd50
DIS Veteran

Doesn't sound like that day got off to a good start. Hopefully it gets better.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #33
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd50 View Post
Doesn't sound like that day got off to a good start. Hopefully it gets better.
Fortunately it definately gets better! And we all kept a good attitude even with all the hiccups on this morning.

I don't know why my photos are showing up so huge! I reduced the size of all of them and only one showed up right? I'll figure it out later!

May 2010 Trip Report: 2400 pictures! Beach Club, Universal, and Bay Lake Tower Grand Villa

Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #34
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Isn't it just awful when you have made plans so far in advance and things don't go right I am glad it all turned out well with breakfast and DS little mishap....loved the pics of an empty Epcot

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #35
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

This was our first experience with Akershus. Since we were on the DxDDP, we tried some places we wouldn't normally try and that was the fun of it! It was quite nice. There was a buffet line with yogurt, bagels, pastries, and fruit that you help yourself to. Then the server brings a plate of hot food to your table to serve family style. The hashbrown casserole was delicious! I even enjoyed the scrambled eggs because they weren't runny or overcooked. I liked the sausage links which are thicker than normal, but the bacon wasn't crisp enough for my taste. The fruit on the bar was perfectly ripe and delicious and I enjoyed the pastries too.

Shockingly we didn't get great pictures with the princesses. Max didn't really want to do any. He was quite shy and just shaken up after hurting himself. This is the best picture we got and Ella just wouldn't look at the camera.

When Snow White came by, Max had his head hidden in the chair. She said something like, "I see my friend Bashful over there." Jasmine asked, "Did you get here by magic carpet too?" The whole experience was cute.

We did get a picture with Aurora before we left. Max wouldn't get in it so we just had a picture taken with Jacob and Ella. They snapped it really quickly not even attempting to get Ella to look at the camera. I think they could have at least tried. She's actually usually quite cooperative.

Enough complaining! We left in time to join the crowd just as the rope dropped to let us into Future World!

We rushed to Soarin'...like everyone else!

DH went ahead and got in the line for Fastpasses to use later while the kids and I trailed behind a bit. We met up just as he had the FPs and then told a CM that we wanted to do babyswap. I took the boys on first while DH waited with Ella. Jacob has been on Soarin' many times on our trip to Disneyland. It was his favorite ride by far. This was Max's first time to go on and he was really looking forward to it! He liked it. DH used the babyswap pass to go through the FP line and he could have taken both boys again, but Max didn't want to ride a second time. DH and Ella had gone on The Land ride while I was on Soarin' with the boys. I thought that was a good idea and decided to do that to. Max, Ella, and I were just exiting The Land at exactly the same time DH and Jacob exited Soarin'. Perfect!

DH took lots of pictures on The Land ride. *yawn* Here are a couple.
Ella was a bit leery of the darkness of the ride until she saw these parrots. She loves animals, especially birds, so she enjoyed her two times on this ride.

See the Mickey pumpkin?

Next we were off go on Nemo and see Turtle Talk.

Last edited by dr&momto2boys; 10-29-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #36
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Nice updates!
What a treat to go through an empty World Showcase!

Sorry to hear they lost your adr, that happened to us in March at the Ohana breakfast, but glad they got you in anyway!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #37
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Love your Epcot pics! I'm considering making an ADR at Akershus, but I feel kinda weird at a princess breakfast...characters are one thing, because they can't talk to you, but princesses can, and I feel like they would be wondering why we were there with no kids! Did you happen to notice if any adults were there without kids?

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Nice updates!
What a treat to go through an empty World Showcase!

Sorry to hear they lost your adr, that happened to us in March at the Ohana breakfast, but glad they got you in anyway!
Thanks! It made me feel like we were trying to pull something, but I know it wasn't our fault. They handled it quite well really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Love your Epcot pics! I'm considering making an ADR at Akershus, but I feel kinda weird at a princess breakfast...characters are one thing, because they can't talk to you, but princesses can, and I feel like they would be wondering why we were there with no kids! Did you happen to notice if any adults were there without kids?
Definately! There were plenty of tables with no kids. This is Disney...everyone's a kid!

Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #39
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Definately! There were plenty of tables with no kids. This is Disney...everyone's a kid!
Really? Well that makes me feel a little better...but I still feel weird! I wouldn't know what to say to the princesses...I mean, I'd obviously have to talk to them as their characters...I guess make movie references or something?

Maybe I'll go see if there is anything available for November...although, I don't know how my DH would feel about dining with princesses...

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #40
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

On the way to The Seas Pavilion, Max had to stop and talk to Donald's cousin. He also remembered the talking garbage can (in Tomorrowland) from our last trip so he scrutinized every garbage can he saw at every park on this trip!

The line to the Finding Nemo ride is dark, so Max freaked out. He was scared and I had to convince him and eventually carry a whimpering kid through the line and onto the ride--which of course he loved. Here's DH, Jacob, and Ella in their clamshell just before we exited the ride.

And Jacob had to pose inside Bruce before we moved on to Turtle Talk.

Turtle Talk with Crush is really a cute show. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it and am glad we did this again.

The temperature had to be above 90 degrees and it was quite humid! We definately needed a drink! So we sought out a frozen drink and the boys insisted on a pretzel too. There go two more snack credits. Considering we had 16 snack credits to use in 2 days at the park, we'd better pick up the pace!

Jacob and I decided to use our FPs for Soarin' now while DH and the other kids looked around Innoventions. Since Max didn't want a second ride on Soarin', DH skipped it too.

I don't think we did much more before it was time to head over to England for lunch. We had an ADR at Rose & Crown Pub. Another first for us. It was certainly a pretty walk with all the special topiaries and displays for the Flower and Garden Festival.

When we checked in at R&C, they gave us a pager and we walked around the surrounding shops for a few minutes before it went off.

They tried to seat us at an outside table for lunch. Yuck! It was way too hot! I had observed them trying to sit other people out there. When the party declined, they'd have the party wait another minute while they set an inside table. The inside wasn't packed, so I wonder why they did this over and over again. The whole time we were there I only saw three parties take outside tables.

Ahhh, it was nice and cool inside. Somehow, I didn't get a picture of the decor inside and it's beyond what I can describe. DH ordered a pint of beer and I had the pomegranate lemonade. I thought I was getting smart by ordering 1 milk and 1 bottled water for the kids. I had DH order a bottled water also since a drink is include with lunch. I thought I was being smart, figuring we could use the bottled waters later when we needed a drink around the park. Instead they brought out very fancy bottled water in glass bottles and poured them into a glass. The waiter made a comment kind of like, "oops, this is just what the kitchen gave me." I'm quite sure he was just trying to pad the bill for a bigger tip. The waters were $4.50 each!...and unfortunately didn't serve the purpose I had intended. I wasn't upset about it or anything. It's just an observation.

By the way, I didn't like the pomogranate lemonade, so I drank the fancy water instead.

For Jacob, I ordered cheese pizza which came with vegetables and fruit salad. Max wanted "sausage", so I ordered the Bangers and Mash for him. It came with potato leek soup and fruit salad. It was too sophisticated for his palate. So he pretty much didn't eat anything. Ella ate fruit and bits and pieces from our plates. DH and I each ordered a salad for an appetizer.

Here is Max's Potato Leek Soup and soda bread:

Here is my salad with "hot bacon" dressing. It was delicious! The best salad I had on this trip!

Here is DH's Apple Salad with apples, walnuts, and blue cheese

DH said, "It was gooood."
In case you haven't figured out his rating system yet, it seems to be: not good, good, and gooood.

DH had vegetarian Shepards Pie:
Had he known it would come with some salad, he would have ordered a different appetizer. He said, "It was gooood!"

I had the Cottage Pie:
I guess I didn't upload the photo, but it looks like the Shephard's Pie (above), but larger and no salad.
It was good. No, really just "good", nothing to do with DH's rating system.

Here is the kid's Bangers and Mash:

The kid's pizza meal:

I had the Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert:
It wasn't as good as expected. Although the kids tore into, so I didn't get much of a chance to enjoy it. DH said "It was good."

DH had the lemon tart: "It was good."

Just outside the Rose & Crown Pub, a CM had drawn hopscotch on the street. Jacob can't resist that!

Next, we'll use the FPs we picked up in the morning for Test Track and Mission Space, then head back to the World Showcase to look around before dinner at les Chefs de France. Can we really handle a third sit down meal in one day? Stay tuned.

Last edited by dr&momto2boys; 10-29-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #41
dd50
DIS Veteran

Great update! Glad things turned around for you. $4.50 for water. What will they think of next.

I like the pic on your son with the duck. It is so cute that he was checking out all the garbage cans.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #42
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in too! I love your report so far. Staying at the beach club looks heavenly, the food looks soooo good and your kiddos are adorable. I can't wait to hear more

Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #43
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Joining you! Love the Beach Club and photography!

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #44
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Enjoying the report! I was wondering what it was like for all of you to be in one room? I have a 20 month old and I keep thinking I need a separate room for her to be able to sleep in and not wake up my 5 year old if she wakes in the night, also to take a nap if she needs one.

We like to stay up later than my 20 month old, too. I don't really want to have to go to bed when she does. How did having one room work out for you? It certainly is cheaper!

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #45
Fall1
DIS Veteran

Great pics!! I love your report so far! Also, LOVE thes "On our Way to Disney World shirts, where did you get that design? Thanks!
Upcoming December 2014 BCV
me DH DS 6 DD 6

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: