Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
lborne
It all started with a rabbit

Day 2 - Nassau (or we stayed on the ship day) - Part 2

Back to our exciting adventure on the high seas. Now where was I? Oh yes, sitting in Cove Cafe and talking to my DW. I know what you are thinking - after (checks wedding date inscribed on inside of ring and tries to do the math) 18 long long years of marriage, what could you and DW possibly have left to say to each other. Those of you with children know exactly what we were talking about - the kids (and when the heck am I going to get that vasectomy).

Finally it was time to get the little rug rats (opps, sorry, those are Nickelodeon owned characters) - the Little Einstiens, feed them a snack and get them ready for the show. Tonight was the Pirate Party night and DS7 was going to dress as a pirate. So DW took them down to the room to get them and herself ready. I got some snacks and brought them to the room. We all got showered and dressed and headed to see Toy Story the Musical which we’d never seen before as it is new.

A pirate's life for me door

Cute right? Just like Gremlins.

We thought the show was pretty good, but not as good as The Golden Mickeys nor Disney Dreams. DS11 loved the costumes, and I agree that was the best part. What was lacking were the original songs. Other than “You’ve got a friend in me”, all the other songs were new and obviously composed just for this show. They seemed rather generic as opposed to the unique and catchy songs we grew to love watching the movie. But still, it was better than most cruise lines where you can see Bob and his Amazing Dummy act, featuring his talent less wife as the dummy.

Trying to look scary.

DW took the kids to “A Pirate’s Life For Me” game show and I went back to the room to pour us a glass of wine. The first day you may recall I ordered wine glasses from room service (no?, you don't recall - its right up there in the first post). But we’d left them at the dinner table – on purpose as I did not want to carry dirty wine glasses back to the room (We are pretty so fist icate ed like that). I did not want to wait 30+ minutes for more to arrive, so I stopped by the Promenade Lounge and they were more than happy to give me a couple wine glasses. Once filled back at the room, I met up with DW and the boys for the APLFM game show. It was fun, geared towards kids, and involves the audience. My boys loved it.

DW made us take a few shots of us together - probably to be used in court against me.

Now it was time for dinner at Animator’s Palette. We requested the TAP dining rotation because we wanted to be in AP for the Pirate Night, and we wanted to skip Parrot Cay for Palo. However, from reading on the DIS, we discovered that nothing special happens in the dining room on pirate night on 3 day cruises anymore. They used to give pirate bandanas to wear, but now there is nothing. Of all the menus, this one we liked the least. If it had not been for wanting the kids to see the color changing show in AP, we would have probably picked this night for our Palo night. Don’t get me wrong, the food was fine, but for us, the selections were not as appealing as other menus. For appetizer I ordered the Ahi Tuna Tartare With Caviar, Chives, and Wasabi Cream. It was really good. Next I ordered the Confetti tomato salad and something else that I can’t remember and which is not on any menu I found online. The tomato salad was kind of blah. The tomatoes were Ok, but they were served over plain wilted lettuce. For my main courses (I got two) I ordered prime rib (I think, because again, I can’t find it on any menu) and the Black Bean Chipotle Cakes Over Corn Kernels and Brown Rice topped with Tomato-Cilantro Salsa. The black bean cakes were really good and just as advertised. A bit too spicy for my DW who took a bite. For dessert I had the Animator's Sweet Temptations - A Trio of Strawberry Sable, Cranberry and Orange Cheesecake, and Double-Fudge Chocolate Cake. Plus a Mickey Bar.

Composite of 3 photos I took during the meal showing progression of color or colour for you Brits.

Mickey looks a little deranged, but still tasted good.

TIP: If nothing on the menu looks good, or you just don’t like what you get, you can order something else from the other restaurant’s menu. You can usually go to Guest Services the first day and get copies of all the menus, or you can just print them out from the FAQ link here on the DIS. Although as I have discovered, the new AP has one or two changes.

Since the boys were showing signs of kids club withdrawal, we used the Dine and Play option for DS7. When we got to the table we notified our waiters that he would be participating in the DnP and leaving at 9, so they made sure to get his dinner out early. It worked great. You just bring your child to the restaurant entrance and counselors there take them to the lab for you. This is only available for the late seating time. We have nothing like this at our house. Wouldn’t it be great to have a live in Au Pair that could take the kids when they started whining? If we did not spend so much money on vacations, maybe we could afford one. She’d have to be good looking too, in which case I don’t think DW is going to let her into the country, let alone our home. DS7 pretty much never went into the Club but always stayed at the Lab. The smaller children in the Club never seemed to migrate over to the Lab and vice versa. A short time after DS7 left for the club, DS11 and our friends DS11 left and checked themselves into the lab. (Are you as confused as I am?) Lets just say at this point we were kidless again. Here we were worried that DS7 would be paging us every hour or so to check on him or come and get him, or that DS11 would be checking himself out of the lab all the time to do who knows what. But as it turned out, it was like the hotel California. Once checked in, they could not check out – or at least never wanted us to check them out.

The servers are very accommodating. One note – they try very hard, almost too hard, to make sure you rate everything excellent. They kept reminding us that if we did not like anything, to let them know and they will be sure to bring us something we liked, as they are responsible for the food preparation even though they don’t cook it. It was fine to hear the first time, but they kept repeating it over and over. I know the kinds of pressure they are under and the long hours they work and don’t blame them at all.

We lingered over coffee and dessert. According to one waiter, the fireworks go off at 10:15. The other said 10:30. So we left the restaurant around 10:00 and picked up the kids from the lab to head up to the Pirate Party. We watched the party from deck 10 with tired kids that needed to be held. Right around 10:30 Mickey shows up and the fireworks go off. I bet that good for nothing Carnival cruise ship was out there running with their lights off trying to get a glimpse of OUR fireworks. We know they are too cheap and don’t have the kind of pull Disney has to get their own fireworks.

Mickey saves the night and the dessert buffet from evil.

Oooooh

Aaaaaah

The oooooh and aaaah reminds me of a joke. Ready? Don't worry, its included with your admission price.

The oooooh aaaaaah bird is so called because it lays square eggs.

Ok where was I? Oh yes, hurting my brain trying to remember what happened next.

Then it was off to bed for DW and DS7, but not before taking a photo in front of the buffet.

Pooped Pirate

Keen eyes will observe a tray of fresh fruit in the photo. Have no fear, that is only a very small part of the buffet and there are plenty of unhealthy, beautifully decorated, OK tasting desserts. They may all be gone by the time YOU actually get through the line, but I bet the fruit will always be there.

DS11 and I stayed up and sampled the desserts.
Here is where cruising gets a bad reputation - Late night buffets, but with Disney it is 90% desserts with a few giant turkey legs thrown in for appetizers. After the fireworks people scrambled to get in the buffet lines. They pushed and shoved and I’m sure most of them had gone several minutes without eating anything. Really, we learned from past cruises that the Pirate Party desserts all taste about the same and so skipped them. Instead we had the crepes. It was late, we were all tired, and the lines are quite disorganized. This is one area where Disney could apply a little order – maybe in the form of their cattle fencing that they use in the parks to route everyone in the right direction. (Don't you hate when people in these lines go over or under to cut in front of you? That's why cattle fences are electrifed Disney - are you listening?) DS11 and I stayed up and watched part of the Pirates movie being shown on Aerial view TV before heading to bed.

And so ended our Nassau day.

OH - almost forgot. The amazing sailing yacht that was docked in Nassau - owned by Jim Clark. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(yacht)

See the size of that mast? Must be compensating for something. At least thee with little money likes to think so.
lborne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: