Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #76
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheinz View Post
Hey! Just jumping in! I have 4 kiddos & have nursed one at WDW. I am going agin in July with 8 month old & worried about nursing b/c it will be WAY to hot to wear my usual nursing tank under my shirt. I thought I would just take our favorite blanket (aden & anais) to cover up with.
Any other suggestions?
Also, I have had my eye on a Ergo carrier. I love our Kozy mei tai but...was wanting something with a little more support & that could go on the hip.
You can wear your mei tai on your hip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQEXfMLOsc I don't think it would be comfy though. I think a ring sling is always going to be your best best bed for carrying on your hip.

Have you seen these? http://www.moboleez.com/ This might solve your nursing in the summer dilemma. Plus keep you baby's head/face out of the sun.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #77
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

this is an awesome thread! just came across it and think it's just so great to see all this support! DH and i took our son to WDW this past january (hi erin!) and i was nursing my then 7 month old. he's 11 months old and we're still going strong although that's mostly because he refuses to take a bottle or cup or anything!

anyway, i bf'd all over the world. right in front of space mountain was a favorite of mine as well as the bench by the bathrooms behind peter pan. it gets a TON of traffic but nobody pays attention. yeah, maybe you'll get a guy who does a double take but that's about it! i have a link to my trip report below and i basically talked about where i bf'd. lol!

if you have an ergo you can bf in it. i pretty much did that while waiting for any and every ride! everyone just thought he was sleeping. i had several conversations with people in line while bf'ing and they had no clue !
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #78
Ar1el
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins View Post
You can wear your mei tai on your hip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQEXfMLOsc I don't think it would be comfy though. I think a ring sling is always going to be your best best bed for carrying on your hip.

Have you seen these? http://www.moboleez.com/ This might solve your nursing in the summer dilemma. Plus keep you baby's head/face out of the sun.
Well that moboleez is the cutest thing. I love it.

For all posters.............I will be taking a 6 week old to Disney in Dec and I hope to be breast feeding. What would be the best way to breast feed the little one without really being noticed. I would like to just be able to breast feed where ever with out having to stop really. What type of sling would be best for this? Any help is much appreciated. I am not a baby wearing person..........did not with my other 2. But then again we never went on any vacations when they were that small. TIA
Ar1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #79
MommyPoppins
A new saying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar1el View Post
Well that moboleez is the cutest thing. I love it.

For all posters.............I will be taking a 6 week old to Disney in Dec and I hope to be breast feeding. What would be the best way to breast feed the little one without really being noticed. I would like to just be able to breast feed where ever with out having to stop really. What type of sling would be best for this? Any help is much appreciated. I am not a baby wearing person..........did not with my other 2. But then again we never went on any vacations when they were that small. TIA
I would think a ring sling would be best. A 6 week old doesn't have much head control, so I don't know if you could nurse in a beco or ergo. I know I couldn't have in my mei tai. Plus they are still getting the hang of it at that age. You will probably be better off finding somewhere to sit, unless you are just really good at getting the baby latched on without having to see what is going on. lol. A ring sling is possible, you can always have someone with you to hold up the tail of the sling as privacy while you get the baby latched. Just make sure you carefully watch to make sure the baby's airway is in proper positioning and your breast isn't pressing against his/her nose. lol. It won't be hands free, but at least you can walk around while doing it.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #80
Ar1el
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would think a ring sling would be best. A 6 week old doesn't have much head control, so I don't know if you could nurse in a beco or ergo. I know I couldn't have in my mei tai. Plus they are still getting the hang of it at that age. You will probably be better off finding somewhere to sit, unless you are just really good at getting the baby latched on without having to see what is going on. lol. A ring sling is possible, you can always have someone with you to hold up the tail of the sling as privacy while you get the baby latched. Just make sure you carefully watch to make sure the baby's airway is in proper positioning and your breast isn't pressing against his/her nose. lol. It won't be hands free, but at least you can walk around while doing it.
Maybe I should just find some place to sit. That might be the answer for a baby so young.
Ar1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #81
hippiemama76
Mouseketeer

YEAY!!! Love this thread! Just found it in 'New Posts' so I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'm so glad that there's finally a place on the DIS that supports/encourages normal feeding!

Recent Trips - 12/08, 4/09, 12/09, 1/10, 2/10, 3/10 (x2), 4/10 (x2), 5/10 (x2)
Premium Annual Pass - expires 3/2011
hippiemama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #82
sritter78
Mouseketeer

I nursed DS @ 6 weeks in a ring sling. It was perfect! I was able to nurse anywhere and everywhere.

I bought one made with solarveil.

2003~Off-site
2006~Off-site---DD's 1st Trip
2008~AKL/Poly
2009~Contemporary---DS's 1st Trip
2010~AKL/Saratoga Springs
2011~Off-Site-Surprise Trip
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
2013-Saratoga Springs
sritter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #83
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
These are cute! Too bad they are $29 each. After buying my ergo this week, there is no way I could justify that w/ my DH. I wonder if an over sized floppy hat would be the same?

To the poster going in Dec w/ a 6 wk old. I would def plan on having to stop quite a bit through your trip. Not only will he/she need to nurse more often, but they also need diaper changes more often. I think if you plan on a slow paced relaxing trip you will not be disappointed. On the plus side, new babies also sleep more, allowing you to enjoy more time w/ the rest of your party and even sneak in more rides. Enjoy!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #84
MyMagicKingdom
Mouseketeer

This is a great thread! I'm no longer nursing DS but will be nursing with the next one (hopefully soon!) and I try to go to WDW as often as possible so I just may be nursing there! I used to be super shy about nursing in public. I'm certainly not ashamed of doing it, but I can be a fairly shy person in general so I always used to get kind of nervous about it and initially started using one of those nursing covers-which I quickly came to hate because I felt like I was suffocating DS! I ended up bring pumped milk and bottle feeding DS whenever we were in public most of the time but that can be a pain too. No matter what brand of storage bags I bought I found that 25% of them would leak as they were defrosting. Eventually I just stopped caring about it and would always find someplace I could just go and nurse.

With the next baby I'd love to get some kind of sling with support. We have an Infantino infant carrier that we used with DS but I'd love to get a sling, they look adorable and I imagine they'd be a great way to discreetly nurse. I was never able to find a nursing top that I really liked because they all made me look like a house still, but then again I never tried a simple tank top, so I plan on looking out for those too. Some maternity clothes are so cute that I'm tempted to buy some now, even while I'm not pregnant!

Its unfortunate the way some people get about nursing mothers. Sorry, I'll starve my child because you can't look in the other direction for a minute while you're walking by. By the way, MommyPoppins, I've always loved your sig...its super cute!!
*June 2009 (Honeymoon!!!) ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)/The Polynesian (Aotearoa)/Disney Wonder*
*August 2010 ~ Pop Century ..... First time celebrating my birthday in WDW and DS' first WDW trip!!!!!!*
*August 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge....My bday (again!) and DS' first trip to WDW!!! *
*January 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach*
*November 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach...surprise trip for the kids!!! First MVMCP!!!! *
MyMagicKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #85
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

If I may make a suggestion to nursing moms while at the parks...IMO this is something you might NOT want to do. I was at the Magic Kingdom the other day and went in to Mickey's Philharmagic. I sat next to a mother who was holding her little baby. No problem. Once the lights dimmed for the show, she began nursing her baby right there. I have no objection to nursing, or nursing in public. But, I have never been in a situation of having to be right next to a mom nursing and listening to the loud sucking and wet gurgling sounds of the baby nursing...the entire time the show was playing.

I hope I'm not being shallow. I know babies need to nurse and when there's outdoor, or public place noises, you never actually hear the sounds of the baby nursing. There were so many empty rows in the theater. She could have picked a secluded spot, or waited until most of the guests sat in their seats and chose a seat then..half the theater was empty. I know it's normal sounds of nursing, but when you're sort of stuck in your seat until the end of the show, you can't just not hear what's going on a foot away from you. So, my suggestion would be to nurse away in public places moms...just not in Mickey's Philharmagic...unless you have a few seat buffer zone.
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #86
MommyPoppins
A new saying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
These are cute! Too bad they are $29 each. After buying my ergo this week, there is no way I could justify that w/ my DH. I wonder if an over sized floppy hat would be the same?

To the poster going in Dec w/ a 6 wk old. I would def plan on having to stop quite a bit through your trip. Not only will he/she need to nurse more often, but they also need diaper changes more often. I think if you plan on a slow paced relaxing trip you will not be disappointed. On the plus side, new babies also sleep more, allowing you to enjoy more time w/ the rest of your party and even sneak in more rides. Enjoy!
I would guess a big floppy have would do the same thing. If you do any sewing I would imagine you could probably easily copy the design and make your own. I've been making bonnets lately. They are so cute and I nursed my baby at the beach a couple weeks ago from the top of my bathing suit and it offered some coverage. If it had a longer brim it would have better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMagicKingdom View Post
By the way, MommyPoppins, I've always loved your sig...its super cute!!
Thanks.

I posted a pic of an Ergo on my DH's FB page this morning with a smiley face. lol. He said, "I need a better phone so I can see the picture better." Little does he know I got my brothers old palm phone when he got a new one. I am going to give my DH the new phone before we go away as an early b-day present because right now we are sharing a charger and it's hard to share a charger on vacation. lol! Maybe after I present the phone to him he'll give me the okay to get an ergo. hehe
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #87
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I think it makes sense if you are going to nurse your baby in a show to give people a buffer zone. I always tried to sit in the back row or near a bunch of empty seats when I knew I would be nursing in a show. It was actually more for my comfort than for those around me!

Last edited by labdogs42; 05-18-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo and changed some wording, removed quote
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #88
MommyPoppins
A new saying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchelbay View Post
If I may make a suggestion to nursing moms while at the parks...IMO this is something you might NOT want to do. I was at the Magic Kingdom the other day and went in to Mickey's Philharmagic. I sat next to a mother who was holding her little baby. No problem. Once the lights dimmed for the show, she began nursing her baby right there. I have no objection to nursing, or nursing in public. But, I have never been in a situation of having to be right next to a mom nursing and listening to the loud sucking and wet gurgling sounds of the baby nursing...the entire time the show was playing.

I hope I'm not being shallow. I know babies need to nurse and when there's outdoor, or public place noises, you never actually hear the sounds of the baby nursing. There were so many empty rows in the theater. She could have picked a secluded spot, or waited until most of the guests sat in their seats and chose a seat then..half the theater was empty. I know it's normal sounds of nursing, but when you're sort of stuck in your seat until the end of the show, you can't just not hear what's going on a foot away from you. So, my suggestion would be to nurse away in public places moms...just not in Mickey's Philharmagic...unless you have a few seat buffer zone.
I would hate for you to ruin our happy little thread, so I wasn't going to say anything. But I just have to.

You are being totally shallow. It is NEVER the nursing Mom's problem if someone else is uncomfortable about what she is doing. If the sounds of a baby nursing make you uncomfortable, move. Period.

No one would ever DARE say to a bottle feeding mom, "Can you go do that in private, the sound of your baby sucking and swallowing is making me uncomfortable."

Last edited by MommyPoppins; 05-18-2010 at 12:48 PM.
MommyPoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #89
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemama76 View Post
YEAY!!! Love this thread! Just found it in 'New Posts' so I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'm so glad that there's finally a place on the DIS that supports/encourages normal feeding!
- I did too!

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #90
MommaB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would hate for you to ruin our happy little thread, so I wasn't going to say anything. But I just have to.

You are being totally shallow. It is NEVER the nursing Mom's problem if someone else is uncomfortable about what she is doing. If the sounds of a baby nursing make you uncomfortable, move. Period.

No one would ever DARE say to a bottle feeding mom, "Can you go do that in private, the sound of your baby sucking and swallowing is making me uncomfortable."

Yup this. You can't say "I dont want to sit next to someone chewing gum, shifting in their seat or clearing their throat without a buffer seat. It's so rude of people" I am almost physically twitchy that this was posting in a SUPPORT thread.
MommaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: