Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #76
daisy2jae
DIS Veteran

I get tired of hearing this question when someone finds out we're going "again". After we do the math for a vacation we don't spend that much more to go to wdw. After I point out the cost differences you'd think it would make a difference but it doesn't. We're not rich and we work hard so we can vacation to wdw every 1-2 yrs. I hate when people say "we're not rich like them". Drives me nuts as if they think we have a money tree and it's hard for them to believe we're great at saving and not wasting money.
daisy2jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #77
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Some other ideas:

1) We want to go while they are still little and think it is all magic!

2) Between working and the kids (or just keeping up with the kids), it is hard to have time to plan a vacation. With Disney I know all the options and I don't have to spend weeks researching.

3) We have fun watching them be amazed by everything. When they are older and they can remember things better I am sure we will diversify our vacations.

4) Disney is soooo kid-oriented. We can go to fancy restaurants and kids are still welcome. It's the perfect place for this time in our lives.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #78
jngwright
DIS Veteran

I have friends who camp all summer long in their $20K, $30K, $40K campers and I would never DREAM of saying "you're camping AGAIN??" It is their choice, but for some reason-people feel differently about people who vacation at Disney.

I am pricing out a 5 night trip to South Dakota (Mt Rushmore, etc) which is just the next state over, and I am finding it to be more expensive than WDW!

So-to answer your question, I just say "Yep!"

...and I head to WDW with the kiddos and HAVE A BLAST!

Jill DH DS (12) DS (12)Offsite '78-'94, POR '95, CSR '99, WL '00(Disneymoon ) Offsite '04, POFQ '06, POP'08,CBR/CSR '09,POR '10, AKV '11, OKW/BWV '11(New DVC owners!!!!) '12 BLT, '13 AKV/OKW, '14SoG,(Glass Slipper Finisher!)'14 AVK
jngwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #79
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

As long as it's not affecting my reputation at work, I go as much as I can. I had a boss who went 40 days a year to Disney, and although I had no problem with it, others couldn't count on him on a regular basis. He eventually got bad enough ratings to want to change companies, where he still goes to Disney 40 days a year. He's happy, and that's all that matters in the end.

If you are not a manager or in a role that co-workers need to depend on you, then the sky's the limit.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #80
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I get it too..."You are going again?" "Why do you want to go there...AGAIN?" "Well, I wouldn't go there every year." YET...They come to me eventually for advice and my coveted "Mouse Tips" document

And to my friends and family who have NEVER voiced such a thing to me, I will continue to answer your questions and help you plan your trips. And to those that have voiced such a thing, I'll STILL help you because I help everyone AGAIN AND AGAIN!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #81
Kat73
Mouseketeer

by now most of my friends and coworkers either know why and get it, or they just know that's me and I'm going, so I think most of them aren't really surprised anymore, and don't give me the look. When I do get it, well sometimes I go solo so I get the "But she doesn't have any kids/ a family... *confused*" look. My parents are the biggest naysayers, I love them but they are very cheap. My idea of a vacation, Disney or not, is a bit different than theirs although I can be a penny pincher too

I suppose, as someone who doesn't take kids to Disney, is that like most of us Disney is my happy place. Also, it's somewhere I feel safe travelling to alone, and know my way around. There are other places I'd like to go for vacation someday. I'll wait and go there when I'm taking someone with me. If I'm travelling alone, I like Disney because I know how to get a good deal, feel safe there, know how to get the best bang for my $$, and know I'll love it. It's also something I CAN do alone. Planning a solo trip to one of the other cities I'd like to visit someday (but have never been to) is a lot more daunting.

Pre-Thanksgiving 1989 Sept 11 2001 POFQ May 2002 CBR May 2003 Poly May 2004 Pop & CR Dec. 2005 POFQ & Poly First Solo trip-Feb. 2009 Girl's Trip Sept 2009 SSR F&W Oct. 2010 Pop F&W Half Marathon Nov. 2013
Kat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #82
mskermit
Mouseketeer

we love going to disney and i could careless what people say. most of them are those that have only been there once or twice and have not had a full disney experience. there is so much to do, to see and places to eat it takes a few visits to get it all in!! i know people who will spend on an average of
4,000.00 to rent a house at the shore. So yea i'll spend that to cook, clean, entertain people that you only see when you have a shore rental and spend more on the dirty Wildwood boardwalk than what my 8 day park hopper pass cost me. My mom is 77 and my aunt will be 70 and they love disney. you are never too old for dinsey, there is something for all ages
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #83
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

We thought the same thing - as a family of 5, going to the Jersey shore for the week is not a "cheap" vacation. It is going to cost us less to drive to FL and spend a week at WDW at a moderate resort with the water parks added to our ticket during Free Dining than renting a house at the Jersey shore for a week.
(Once we add in the house rental, food, boardwalk, other entertainment, not to mention having to prepare some of our meals and clean up after ourselves - no thanks!!!)

We also get to go by ourselves - if we went to the shore, I guarantee you the rest of the extended family would have wanted to join us too! Everyone thinks we are crazy for going to FL in August!!! They also can't believe that we are going back for our 4th trip in 3 years... but we love it!!! It's the first time we are going in the summer, so it will be the first time the boys will get to try the water parks - we have been over Winter Break the other 3 times...
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #84
disneydreamer98
Lifelong Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 View Post
How do you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.
With a great big smile on my face I say....

"YES!!! And I can't wait!!!!!!"
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #85
My2Angels
Mickey Moms Club member

Has anyone else had someone say "if you go too many times, it will take the magic out of it for your kids"?
To this particular person, I just said, "I have been almost every year of my life, I am 36 years old, and the magic is still there for me!!!"

Dream 2014, YC CL 2013, Dream 2012, Poly 2012, BWI 2012, POR 2012, BC 2011, Poly 2010, POR 2010, Swan 2009, POR 2009, POR 2008, AsSP 2007, CR 2007
My2Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #86
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
We thought the same thing - as a family of 5, going to the Jersey shore for the week is not a "cheap" vacation. It is going to cost us less to drive to FL and spend a week at WDW at a moderate resort with the water parks added to our ticket during Free Dining than renting a house at the Jersey shore for a week.
(Once we add in the house rental, food, boardwalk, other entertainment, not to mention having to prepare some of our meals and clean up after ourselves - no thanks!!!)

We also get to go by ourselves - if we went to the shore, I guarantee you the rest of the extended family would have wanted to join us too! Everyone thinks we are crazy for going to FL in August!!! They also can't believe that we are going back for our 4th trip in 3 years... but we love it!!! It's the first time we are going in the summer, so it will be the first time the boys will get to try the water parks - we have been over Winter Break the other 3 times...
yea the shore thing is expensive. it will cost us for 8 nights at FW for 3 adults 2 kids, one at the adult price, with free dining and our 8 day hoppers 3939.00. you cant do the shore for that. A decent rental in Sea Isle City is at least 3500.00 plus all the aggravation and unwanted company!! forget it. we are going in august, we usually go in july, its hot but its tolerable. my daughter who is handicapped and has a hard time with the heat is fine. she doesnt care she is in disney she says!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #87
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Angels View Post
Has anyone else had someone say "if you go too many times, it will take the magic out of it for your kids"?
To this particular person, I just said, "I have been almost every year of my life, I am 36 years old, and the magic is still there for me!!!"
me too!! plenty of magic going on still at 42!!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #88
BriesMomma
Mouseketeer

I get this all of the time. and my best friend even says I am "ruining" my daughter by taking her there as often as I do. That it is a "once in a lifetime" thing. Um no... I've been atleast 30 times and would MOVE there this moment if I could.

Honestly there are things about Disney that I enjoy simply because my family spent so much time there growing up. DH doesn't enjoy TTA as much as I do, for example.

Growing up on Disney doesn't mean they'll get it either. My brother says EVERY time "You know there are other places to go than Disney, right?" Yeah, I know that too. But as PP have noted, they are just as expensive, and not always guaranteed to be fun. I know I'm going to have a GREAT if not MAGICAL time at Disney. Always have. Always will.
BriesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #89
catrax
Mouseketeer

We went to WDW Sept 2007. There were four of us - me, DH, DS4 and DS2. We had the most amazing time! It was seven of the most wonderful days of my life. Maybe because my family couldn't afford anything like that when we were growing up. Maybe just because Disney is in my genes! Either way, we all had a wonderful time.

Then, I realized that I wanted to go back in February. We knew that we were going to start trying for another baby around then and that once the baby came it would be quite a while before we would get back there. My husband said yes! We decided it would be a surprise for the kids and in order to have that surprise work out, we didn't tell a soul. No one!

What happened? People freaked out. They were all offended - some members of the family wouldn't talk to me at all. And what was the main sticking point? "Why would you go again so soon?" "You just went!" "Why would you waste your money?"

I guess the bottom line is that I just ignored it. Life's too short to make a hundred excuses to people who are judging you. When I was trying to explain that we were in love and that it was pure magic and the baby we were hoping for and the great deal we got, etc. to people who were neck deep in needless credit card debt that they ran up buying trinkets, I decided that it wasn't worth trying.

Also, as a previous poster said, EVERYONE I know who is even considering a trip ends up at my door step asking me every imaginable question and making sure that I share all of my disney bargains knowledge. These are the same people who would make sure to let me know about how I was "spoiling the kids" and "not exploring the rest of the world - why would you waste your time in Florida when you could go to Asia?"

Please. If I weren't quite so nice, I would say, "None of your business. Do I get a vote in your family decisions?" Since I'm pretty nice (most of the time), I sometimes say, "I'm just one of those Disney fanatics. Disney is my favorite place in the world and I'll go every time I can afford it!"
Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #90
Cinderella16
DIS Veteran

What a fantastic thread! I am so glad I am not the only one who goes through this! For now, it is just DH and I and we keep going back.

You probably could have imagined people's faces when we told them we were honeymooning there...oh the looks of horror on their face! It was fun to then tell them that we really wanted to get married there.

For DH and I, Disney is our place. We took 3 trips together with his family while we dating, we got engaged behind Cinderella's castle, we honeymooned there, and we just returned from yet another trip. It is where we make memories, and cannot wait to experience it with our own children one day.

I've stopped trying to explain to other people who just don't get it and think it is just another theme park. I tell them, if they ever want to experience it the way we do, we would be happy for them to join us.
1989ish (1st Trip - Ft. Wilderness), 1993 (Offsite), 1999 (8th Grade Graduation Trip-offsite) 2004 (Offsite), 2005 (Offsite), 2007 (Offsite, Engaged at MK!) 2009 (Disneymoon - GF) 2010 (Wildnerness Lodge) 2011 (New DVC Members - SSR) 2012 (Bay Lake Tower/Vero Beach)2013 (May-BWV/Oct-AKL- Kidani)2014 (June-BCV/Dec-THV)
WDW Commando Member #204

Trip Reports
The Mr. & Mrs. Meeting Mickey in May - May 2010 + BONUS Pre Trip Report for July 2012

The Mr., The Mrs., and the Dining Plan - Our June 2009 Disneymoon
Our Magical Trip of a Million, Dreams, Wishes, & Surprises- Our June 2007 Engagement
Cinderella16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: