Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #91
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
I found this video while surfing YouTube.
There was an incident on the second floor of the Contemporary.
Here is a glimpse at the legendary Disney security in action.
Very cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAqZd22UHuU
That was cool, thanks for the link!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #92
mariepapa
Miss Piggy Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
My son was hurt at CBR last year. We were in Trinidad South, so kind of remote. My husband called 911 and before the ambulance arrived, someone from the resort was there. 911 Dispatch must have notified them, because we didn't. Within 10 minutes of the incident, there were two trucks from animal control onsite. He was initially taken to Celebration Hospital. Before they transferrd him to Florida Children's, a rep from Disney's Compassionate Response Team came to the hospital. We had a rep assigned to us that visited the hospital each day and stayed in contact throughout our visit. Excellent service!!!!
I remember you posting about your ordeal. I am so glad that you were happy with them and that your son was okay. When we stayed at CBR last month I thought of your family often and kept a watchful eye on the bushes and my children!
Pop Century: August 2009
CBR: April 2010

No trip planned right now
mariepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #93
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
My son was hurt at CBR last year. We were in Trinidad South, so kind of remote. My husband called 911 and before the ambulance arrived, someone from the resort was there. 911 Dispatch must have notified them, because we didn't. Within 10 minutes of the incident, there were two trucks from animal control onsite. He was initially taken to Celebration Hospital. Before they transferrd him to Florida Children's, a rep from Disney's Compassionate Response Team came to the hospital. We had a rep assigned to us that visited the hospital each day and stayed in contact throughout our visit. Excellent service!!!!
Glad to hear they were helpful and quick to respond. I don't mean to pry, but may I ask why animal control was involved?
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #94
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
I found this video while surfing YouTube.
There was an incident on the second floor of the Contemporary.
Here is a glimpse at the legendary Disney security in action.
Very cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAqZd22UHuU
To this day, you can see this guy on POTC, in the jail scene...
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #95
Ladybugsy
Counting the days...Will it EVER get here?
I did get some weird looks as I picked it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Glad to hear they were helpful and quick to respond. I don't mean to pry, but may I ask why animal control was involved?
Not 100 percent, but I think her son was bitten 3 times on the finger by a water moccasin when he bent down to retrieve a toy from some landscaping. His feet never left the sidewalk. 12 vials of antivenin and 134,000.00 later, he's doing well...still has all fingers.

Correct me if I'm wrong I just read the thread the other night.
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*ºoº -
Ladybugsy-ºoº,,·´*`·.¸¸*

Trips to Pop or AKL every year since 2005.
Currently planning for FD in September 2014
Ladybugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #96
mariepapa
Miss Piggy Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsy View Post
Not 100 percent, but I think her son was bitten 3 times on the finger by a water moccasin when he bent down to retrieve a toy from some landscaping. His feet never left the sidewalk. 12 vials of antivenin and 134,000.00 later, he's doing well...still has all fingers.

The whole thing was very scary.
Pop Century: August 2009
CBR: April 2010

No trip planned right now
mariepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #97
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

This happened a couple of years ago, We were walking from main street to tomorrowland in front of the Plaza restaurant, this main was yelling at his wife and kids over to the right side, about this time he whips off his belt, and grabs hold of one of the kids the wife goes to intervene he pushs her in the chest and almost knocks her to the ground and he goes back to grab one of the kids and goes to swing the belt. A very large man dressed in shorts grabbed the belt and woman dress in shorts took hold of the wife and kids and they were gone. Several men had surround the man who was really out of control at this point. Then several men in uniform kept everyone moving. When I looked back the man was gone then. This all happen in a matter of seconds I have know idea of where they came from all of a sudden they where just there.

Last year my DH and I stayed a CBR and someone tried to get into our room in the middle of the night around 3:00 am. I called the front desk and in about 2 mins we could see golf carts zooming around. The CM said that they had other calls and to please stay in the room and they would call us when the person had been caught. They called about 20 mins or so later and said apparently he was under the weather d he wasn't even at the right resort
Which to me meant they were not going to tell us what really happened.
I'm just glad to know that they are there and making sure we have a magical vacation.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #98
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc053103 View Post
The CM stopped to help her up, then told her where first aid was. We asked that she show us and she said no, she can't, because she would be late for her shift in one of the gift shops.
They did a study once sending people in the ministry across a campus to do a presentation, but on the route the people doing the study had planted a guy pretending he'd been beaten and clearly needing help. The ministers who had been told they were late for the presentation and to hurry, hurry! were significantly less likely to stop than the ministers who were told they had enough time to get there. People who feel they are late for an appointment and are focused on accomplishing the plan in their head have a harder time "refocusing" and responding to an emergency, sometimes even when they see caring for the wounded as part of their job.

Meaning that compassionate people who constantly feel rushed and "live in the future" need to schedule times to care for others.

I'm sure Disney security is good, but at the same time it can't be literally everywhere. Security can only respond to situations they know about, and some things happen way faster than you realize, while seeming to last forever (if a situation upsets you enough, the brain goes into the first stage of trauma mode, meaning your time sense is essentially off line). If the CMs in the area aren't paying attention or don't notify security, some events are going to slip by. Things may also slip by because there's a bigger problem going on somewhere else that's pulling security people into another area. And since Disney isn't going to advertise anything major they deal with, hard to know what "minor" might be compared to it!
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #99
chellewashere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTimone View Post
This happened a couple of years ago, We were walking from main street to tomorrowland in front of the Plaza restaurant, this main was yelling at his wife and kids over to the right side, about this time he whips off his belt, and grabs hold of one of the kids the wife goes to intervene he pushs her in the chest and almost knocks her to the ground and he goes back to grab one of the kids and goes to swing the belt. A very large man dressed in shorts grabbed the belt and woman dress in shorts took hold of the wife and kids and they were gone. Several men had surround the man who was really out of control at this point. Then several men in uniform kept everyone moving. When I looked back the man was gone then. This all happen in a matter of seconds I have know idea of where they came from all of a sudden they where just there.
How scary can you imagine if he is like that in public what he is like in private. His poor wife and kids.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #100
scrapnmom
Mouseketeer

I had one experience, it was maybe 1990 we were leaving MK after the night parade during spring break so it was very crowded. On Main Street, we heard a woman scream from behind us and then within seconds a guy was tackled right next to us. He had snatched a purse. One man was holding him down and there were several other men, in dark uniforms clearing the area. My brother, about 10 at the time, went up to the guy on the ground and then said very loudly "that's my bus driver!" To this day I have no idea why he did that!

One of the security guys asked my mom if we did know him and she told him no we did not!

Planning my 14th trip, 4/30-5/7 at POR

scrapnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #101
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

I lost my middle DS right outside Mexico in Epcot when he was 3. It was pitch black. We had gone to the restroom, came down the stair holding hands, I let go of him to, literally, grab the stroller and he was gone. I called his name - frantically, I am sure - and 3 "tourists" - 2 men and a middle-aged lady - materialized in front of me within 10 seconds. They asked his age, name and shirt color and scattered in different directions while a sweet young lady working at the CS there, gave me a drink and sat with me.

The lady found him and returned carrying him, but the other two made it back to me with the good news before she did. I still have no idea what he was doing but he'd made it all the way across the main bridge into FW. I had taught him, if lost, he should look for a white cast member name tag or a mom - someone else with young kids. Since she had neither, he was quite stubborn and wouldn't come with her at first, LOL, until she called him by name and said his mommy was worried about him.

She handed him over, gave me a hug and the three of them melted away again into the crowd. Amazing. I will always be so grateful for their quick action. Definitely, they have the lost child scenario down to a science!

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #102
Ladybugsy
Counting the days...Will it EVER get here?
I did get some weird looks as I picked it up

This is such a great thread. I hope we have lots more stories. My dh came home tonight and I told him about Disney Security. He is all ready to move...lol.

Dreams do come true!!! Well, in about 5 years it will...lol.
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*ºoº -
Ladybugsy-ºoº,,·´*`·.¸¸*

Trips to Pop or AKL every year since 2005.
Currently planning for FD in September 2014
Ladybugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #103
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsy View Post

You are correct. It was a horrific experience, but I wouldn't let it deter me from going back, just more careful next time.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #104
bmalonef45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4Disney View Post
I saw some outside the park in the lines FOR security. They're dressed just like a tourist. The only reason I noticed them was because they had a flesh colored coiled wire coming out of the back of their shirt, up their neck into their ear. Then I saw him talk to the non undercover security people lol.
We've seen this too. The time we watched they were in line outside the MK and someone else was communicating with them to point out guest. They pulled aside someone this particular morning and took them through a more vigorous bag check. Not sure what tipped them off and I'm not sure if there was anything found but they got to that person really quick.

Previous Disney Trips:
07/10/94-07/17/94 CB; 11/13/96 Off Site; 10/20/05-10/23/05 Off Site; 06/04/06-06/09/06 OKW; 11/18/06-11/22/06 BCV-DCL Cruise; 1/14/07-1/18/07 OKW; 07/28/07-08/04/08 VB; 12/09/07-12/13/07 SSR; 04/19/08-04/26/08 DCL Cruise; 11/24/08-11/29/08 VWL; 10/04/09-10/07/09 BCV; 05/29/10-06/08/10 DCL Cruise-THV; 10/13/11-10/18/11 SSR; 03/15/12-03/22/12 Aulani; 05/26/13-06/08/13 BLT-DCL Cruise; 02/13/14-02/17/14 OKW.
bmalonef45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #105
Mickey's Best Girl
Peace, Love & Mickey Mouse.... what else is there?

In April of '06 my DD14 and I were at Pop... her very first trip to the world and to this day, 5 trips later, her most memorable because of this:

We were on our way out to the Pop bus stops when I realized the battery in my camera would not last through the rest of the day so I asked my DD to get the backup from out room. This is the only time in the week and half we were seperated, and I thank goodness we were!

I sat myself on one of the benches while I waited for my DD to return. I got looking around and suddenly thought to myself, where is everyone? This is Disney, there should be people everywhere but there was only myself, a couple on a bench near the DTD stop and a single guy about 2 benches to my left. No movement in the parking lot or anything. I looked around again and saw a very large man walking in our direction, coming from the main building..... next thing I know, he has a gun drawn on the single man on the bench about 2 away from me and is ordering him on the ground!!!!!! My immediate thought was I'm going to die, well, at least I'm at Disney World. I began to reach for my wallet figuring this was a good old fashioned robbery.

All of the sudden there are "tourists" everywhere with police badges hanging out of the golf shirts (and some carrying Disney bags, you can see it in the photos I posted below). Turns out the bad dude was the guy on the bench and the gun dude was a cop thank god!

Cops and security and guns, oh my! And my DD missed it all, which is good or we would have been on the next plane home and I would be paying for her therapy for a long time!

And like the good little tourist I am, I took photos, on the sly of course. The man in the blue shirt was the scary gun guy. Enjoy!

Sept. '89, offsite ** Oct. '98, offsite ** April '06, Pop ** Dec. '07, Pop ** Nov. '08, CBR ** Nov. '09 4 nights @ POR - 3 nights on DCL Wonder - 7 nights @ Pop ** April '10, Pop ** Nov. '10, Pop ** April '11, Pop ** Oct. '11, Pop - endured 40th anniversary mayhem and lived to tell the story, barely ** April '12, Pop ** October '12, AOA Mermaid ** October '13, Pop
Mickey's Best Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, policy, security, vacation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: