Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
lborne
It all started with a rabbit

May 13 - 3 Day Wonder with free color pics - COMPLETE

Pre-TR

I loved reading all the trip reports in the months before our cruise so I will attempt to give back a bit by writing this TR, in which I will include several tips I either learned while on the ship or quickly made up if I can’t remember any.

Conspirators:

Me (41), D(D does not always mean Darling)W (41), DS11 and DS7.
Friends DH(42), DW (42), DS11, DD6.

This is our 4th Disney Cruise. We are only 1 hr south of Port Canaveral and got a great deal via the Florida Resident Rate, so the 3 night cruise, although short, was fairly inexpensive. When we told some friends of our plans, they booked the next day. I usually like going on cruises to meet new people, but it is also fun dining with our friends. Especially after the one cruise where we got stuck with a couple where the husband’s job was a prophet. He even had business cards made up and told everyone their future. I guess even messengers of God need a vacation every now and then.

To fill the months between when we book the cruise until when we actually get on board, I like to spend lots of time on the DIS doing research and asking inane questions that really don’t matter much, like "what does the drink of the day cost?" Really, I just do about anything to 1) think about the cruise and 2) make the time pass quickly until the date of departure is here.

So the night before our departure, we, (meaning DW), start to pack. She is the queen of procrastination, but also likes to pack twice as much as she really needs. She loves cruising from a port that we can drive to because it means she does not have to stay under the 50 lb airline weigh limit. I do tip the porters well because I know chiropractors are not cheap.

My main job is to plan the days activities - sort of. We like to have some sort of game plan for each day and that is where the old Navigators come in handy. However, we (again, meaning DW), like to remain flexible and change all my plans at a moments notice. The big decision on this cruise is to stay on board the Wonder while at Nassau. Every cruise before we’ve gotten off at Nassau. This time I think I’ve finally convinced DW that we can stay on the ship and be accosted by staff members selling "drinks of the day" instead of being accosted by locals wanting to braid our hair. However, she has mentioned maybe we could just pop over to a beach for a couple of hours. I’ve ignored this thinking that the idea may go away. I mean – here we live within a mile of the beach and hardly ever go.

TIP #1 – print out the old navigators. They make great bathroom reading material and you’ll get familiar with all that goes on. But, its kind of like riding a bike (or loving a woman), no matter how many guides you buy, or planning DVDs you watch, or threads you read on the DIS, you can never completley understand everything until you have taken it for a ride (the bike). So now on our 4th Disney cruise, we finally feel like we have a handle on how everything works.

UP NEXT - Day 1 and some free color photos.

Last edited by lborne; 05-28-2010 at 08:18 AM.
lborne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: