Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #31
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

ABD California Backstage Magic Tour - DAY FIVE (April 17, 2010)
Farewell Dinner

Now it's time to say good-bye to all our company,
M-I-C ... See you real soon.
K-E-Y... Why? Because we like you!
M-O-U-S-E!

We made our way down to the lobby to meet the group for the last time. Familiar faces were waiting. This dinner was a mystery. So, we put our faith in our Guides and followed them through the hotel towards the conference center section of the hotel.

We were led into a conference room that was set up with round tables set for dinner. It reminded me of a wedding reception. It was very nice. Also in the room was a tv set-up, an easel and dessert was on display. The dinner buffet was waiting for us outside on the patio. There was a nice spread of meats, pasta and salads.

Dinner Buffet

My very full plate.

I sampled a little of everything. Everything I ate was delicious.

Dessert Buffet

I chose a trio of desserts. All were yummy and devoured.

My plateful of goodness.

Since, we took this trip for Bill's Birthday, he was presented a birthday card and specially decorated dessert plate.

Bill and his Birthday dessert.

While eating, our ABD Guides introduced us to Disney Artist and Historian, Stacia Martin. She has been with Disney for over 30 years. This evening, she was there to be our Character Sketch Artist. We got to pick which Disney character we wanted her to draw just for us. Bill and I agreed on Mickey Mouse. Then, we would get to take it home. With 22 couples, this would take awhile. So, we were called up by couple. Our Guides had our earlier Animation Academy sketches waiting in their tubes. The sketch by Mrs. Martin would fit safely in the tube for our trip home.

Stacia Martin working on our sketch.

While she was sketching, we had dessert and then our ABD Guides pointed our attention to the tv. They compiled all the pictures they took all week into a highlights video. We laughed as a group on some pictures. It was fun reliving the trip with our fellow Adventurers.

Once the highlights movie finished, Pete from the DISUnplugged Podcast stood up to address the crowd and our Guides. He thanked our Guides for such an amazing Adventure. At this time, he told everyone that we would be getting a disc of all the pictures from the Adventure compliments of Dreams Unlimited. Normally, ABD charges for the disc. Everyone was excited.

We knew it was Walter’s (from the Podcast) birthday this evening. One of our fellow travelers took the initiative in getting the group to contribute for a special birthday present for Walter. Karen found out the exact tribe Walter is from and had this amazing artwork created just for him. He was speechless and very thankful.

Walter's Birthday Surprise.

Just when I thought the evening couldn’t get any better, we had surprise guests. Mickey and Minnie made a grand entrance. They waved to everyone and then waited in the hallway to have a meet and greet with all the Adventurers.

Mickey and Minnie making an entrance.

Hurry Minnie! Let's get away from these crazy DISers ...

Bill and Jennifer with Mickey and Minnie.

The dinner was winding down and our Guides made their last announcement, they arranged a special viewing area for the fireworks that evening. What a way to end the evening. We also, still had FPs left from that day. They were good at both parks. So, we were off for an evening at Disneyland Park.

COMING UP: Our last evening with our fellow Adventurers.
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 09/Hawaii ~ Aulani or Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #32
TheTXTaylors5

ABD California Backstage Magic Tour - DAY FIVE (April 17, 2010)
Last Evening at Disneyland Park and Fireworks

The fireworks were scheduled for 9:30 that evening. We were told to be at our designated area at least 20 minutes before the fireworks. So, we had time to run up to our room and drop off the tube with our sketches and some little gifts from fellow travelers. While up there, we grabbed jackets. It was supposed to get a little chilly that evening. It was quick in and out trip.

Bill and I casually walked through Downtown Disney to Disneyland. It was nice to walk at a slower pace to take in the sites and soak in the atmosphere. Being a Saturday night, the park was busy as expected. People were already lining Main Street to watch the fireworks. We made our way over to our specially roped off area near The Plaza. When we arrived there weren’t any seats. Over time, the men of our group went and swiped chairs from the Plaza to let the ladies sit. Who says chivalry is dead.

Our VIP Area ...

(Thanks Heather!)

Our Guides arrived and kept non ABD Adventurers out of our VIP area. Watching our Guide Jaime keeping the traffic moving in front of our area was entertaining. He was stern, but polite. Saying things like. “You don’t really want to stand there. You’d be better over there.” There was even one instance when this older woman bent under the rope and proceeded to join our group. Jaime politely helped her back under the rope. We all had a good laugh.

Sleeping Beauty Castle

The view of the fireworks was spectacular. We had a clear view of Sleeping Beauty Castle and could see Tinker Bell flying all around. We’re used to the Magic Kingdom fireworks where Tinker Bell just flies down once. The Tinker Bell here was flying all around. It was neat. I honestly can say, these were the best fireworks I have ever seen and experienced. The fireworks coordinated with the sound track from all the different attractions made this a very unique experience.

Tinker Bell

The Fireworks

(Thanks Lynne!)

After the fireworks, we were free for the evening. When someone says “Disneyland”, what is the first attraction you think of?????? The Matterhorn Bobsleds. During our trip to Disneyland last year, I never got a chance to ride The Matterhorn. That is the only ride I wanted to ride this trip. Due to annual maintenance, The Matterhorn was only open on Saturdays and Sundays in April. So, this was going to be my one chance to ride it this trip. I asked if anyone wanted to ride The Matterhorn with us. A few said yes. So, we headed that way. I would finally get to ride the first tubular steel track roller coaster!

The Matterhorn Bobsleds

Since this attraction doesn’t have the Fastpass option, we headed for the standby line. The line was around the mountain. The wait time was posted as 40 minutes. Some were hesitant due to the wait time. But, we got in line anyways. After about five minutes, the line moved forward pretty quickly. That is when some guests walking toward us said that the ride is broken and it probably won’t be fixed for at least 45 minutes if at all. NOOOOOOOOOO! The others in our group didn’t want to wait. I really wanted to ride. So, we parted ways. Bill and I waited in line. We could hear a cover band playing in Tomorrowland. So, we had entertainment while in line. Over time, other guests gave up and got out of line. Before we knew it, we were close to the entrance of the attraction. I believe patience is a virtue and will be rewarded. After about 35 minutes, we could hear them doing safety checks on the attraction in each zone. That was good sign. After about 40 minutes from when we first got into line, the wonderful sight of a bobsled came down the mountain. We were clear to ride. Yahooooo! I couldn’t wait!!!!!

Jennifer patiently waiting in line.

I felt like a kid hopping into the sled. I barely had my seatbelt on when we were whisked into the darkness of the mountain. This is a really cool ride at night. When going in and out of the mountain we could see the park all lit up. Having never been on it before, it was a cross between Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Expedition Everest (DAK). It was fast and jerky. But, it was lots and lots of fun. I will definitely ride it next time. It’s now a “must” for every Disneyland trip.

Bill on the Matterhorn.

After our trip around the mountain, we wondered into Tomorrowland. We rode Space Mountain the other day and didn’t feel like making the mile walk through the queue to the ride. So, we decided to ride Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters. This is our DS4’s favorite ride at Disneyland and at the Magic Kingdom (Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin). Bill and I both like the Disneyland version better because you can take the laser out of the holster. It was a lot easier to aim and shoot.

Bill and Jennifer defeating the Evil Emperor Zurg.

It was getting late and we wanted to be at the farewell breakfast in the morning early enough to see everyone before we parted ways. So, we headed back down Main Street towards the exit. That is when we decided to pop into the Emporium to pick-up some last minute souvenirs.

Main Street Emporium

Bill got some souvenirs for co-workers while I got another plush Mickey to add to my collection. I got a Mickey with ’55 on him celebrating the 55th Anniversary of Disneyland.

When coming out of the store, we were right in front of the Fire Station. It was very fitting to end our evening here. We paid our respects to Walt and the lit lamp in the window.

Bill in front of the Fire Station.

Jennifer in front of the Fire Station.

We slowly made our way out of the park back through Downtown Disney to the hotel. We both just fell onto the bed of exhaustion. I had no problems falling asleep this evening. I can’t believe we leave tomorrow. I didn’t mess with packing this evening. We’d have plenty of time after breakfast to get everything zipped up and ready to go.

TOMORROW: Farewell Breakfast at Storytellers Café
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 09/Hawaii ~ Aulani or Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 08-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #33
TheTXTaylors5

ABD California Backstage Magic Tour - DAY SIX (April 18, 2010)
Farewell Breakfast at Storytellers Café
Today’s Theme: Now It's Time To Say Goodbye
Word of the Day: Imagination
Pin of the Day:

(Thanks Tonya!)

Breakfast this morning was at the Storytellers Café in the Grand Californian Hotel. This is a character breakfast with Chip, Dale, Brer Bear and characters from the movie Brother Bear.

The breakfast was scheduled from 7am – 9am. It was a come and go breakfast. We knew some ABD Adventurers had early flights. So, we wanted to be down as early as possible to say our goodbyes. We walked into Storytellers Café at about 7:30 am. There were already two large tables full of people eating and socializing.

The Last Breakfast

This breakfast buffet is small, but good. There was an omelet station for made-to-order omelets. So, I grabbed some fresh fruit and then placed my omelet order. While visiting the buffet, my well-needed coffee arrived. I normally only drink coffee if I am really tired. I think the past week was catching up to me. I was exhausted this morning. We had fun meeting with the characters in between bites of food.

Breakfast with some characters ...

Everyone was in good spirits until the first few people had to leave. Then, I could see the waterworks start to form in some eyes. Even though I have tried with this Trip Report, words cannot express what we experienced this past week with our fellow Adventurers. Through the many meals together, bus rides and amazing experiences, we built a camaraderie with these 42 other people. It was sad to see it end.

After I couldn’t drink one more sip of coffee, we hesitantly gave our last hugs and headed for the exit. We headed straight upstairs to start packing. We were heading home with more than what we came with. We thought ahead and packed a smaller suitcase inside a larger one. So, we had one extra suitcase to bring back home. Since we flew Southwest, we could bring the extra bag at no charge. So, it was actually pretty easy to pack. After the room was checked and double checked, we had some time to relax before we had to meet the car service downstairs. Sitting in the room was making me stir crazy. So, we lugged our bags downstairs, checked-out and waited in the atrium. While waiting, we saw some fellow travelers. It gave us more time to socialize before departing for the airport.

About 15 minutes before our car was to arrive, we headed outside to wait. Our ABD Guides knew of our departure time and were suppose to be waiting to see us off. They weren’t there yet. After about five minutes, another couple from the Tour arrived. We were going to share the car to the airport with them. They were a nice couple that we had chatted a bit during the Tour. So, it would nice to share the car and chat on the way to the airport. About five minutes later, we see our Guides with another couple heading towards us. I guess all of us were supposed to share the car. However, there wasn’t enough room for everyone’s bags. The Guides called another car for the last couple. So, we said our goodbye and thank you to the Guides and were off to LAX. Soon, I saw the familiar LAX sign and we arrived at our terminal.

Sad sign to see ...

It felt like we just got here. Time flies when you’re having fun.

Since this was a Sunday, the airport was crowded!!! We waited in line to get our boarding pass and to check our bags. The man at check-in only weighed one of our smaller bags and then tagged the rest. I wasn’t complaining because the largest one “might” have been a little heavy. After checking-in, we were told to bring our bags to the security area where they screen the bags before sending them down to baggage. There were piles and piles of bags waiting to be scanned. I was a little worried our bags would get lost in there and miss our flight. We headed towards security check and waited in an even longer line to be screened. Once again, I held my breath as I passed under the metal detector. It didn’t go off. Yea!

By this time, we were hungry for lunch. So, we scouted out the terminal. What first caught my eye when we passed the security check point was a little food court that had California Pizza Kitchen in it. I’ve had their frozen pizza before (four cheese) and it was really good for frozen pizza. So, I wanted to try it fresh. So, we both agreed it sounded good for lunch.

Bill ordered pepperoni and Jennifer ordered The Original BBQ Chicken (Barbecue sauce, smoked Gouda and Mozzarella cheeses, BBQ Chicken, sliced red onions and cilantro.) The BBQ chicken pizza was really good! Yummy!

While sitting eating lunch, I noticed a place called Pinkberry. I had heard of it. So for dessert, we got Pinkberry frozen yogurt. Bill got mango and Jennifer got chocolate.

It was “okay”. I’m not sure what all the hype is about? People in California rave about this stuff. I did see a lot of people pile tons of toppings onto their frozen yogurt. Which to me, defeats the purpose of having frozen yogurt as opposed to ice cream. Oh well. To each their own. We had two really California things for lunch before heading back to Texas.

The flight was once again sold out. But, it was the last flight to Austin that night. So, there was no way we were giving up our seats. The flight and drive home were very uneventful. We pulled into our driveway at 12:14 am. What a long day and night. It was good to be home and plop into our own bed for the night. However, I would be somewhat lost the next day without an itinerary planned for me.

UPDATE:
We made some great new friends on this trip. During the trip, we heard the question … “Are you going on the Podcast cruise?” numerous times. It made us feel like people actually wanted to travel with us again. That was a good feeling. When we got home, Bill booked us on the Podcast Cruise 2.0 for this upcoming December. We would get to see many of our ABD Adventurers again. I can’t wait to take this adventure on the high seas!

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #34
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for posting your trip report! Your descriptions of the tour activities and meals were outstanding! My DD (then 10) and I took this last August and we're going again on July 18 with my husband. You definitely captured the excitement and flavor of Backstage Magic!

It must have been exciting to eat at Club 33 and visit the Dream Suite, which we didn't see last year. I did cringe, though, when you talked about a day trip up Highway 1 to Monterey. You guys must have been exhausted that night!
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #35
2GirlsMama
Happy Wife and Mom

THANK YOU, JENNIFER!!! What a great trip report. This is my dream trip. Some day... Thanks for sharing your insights and wonderful pictures. I am glad you had such a great adventure!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #36
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the awesome trip report! I keep thinking we shouldn't take this trip because we've already been to DL and there are so many other places we want to visit and then I read a great trip report like this and I think, weeelllll, maybe....

Michael was our guide in Costa Rica. He's great!
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #37
adambomb85
Earning My Ears

Wow Jennifer! This was an incredible trip report! I am going on this ABD in June 2010 (34 days to be exact). Even though we won't get all the surprises you did, your amazing trip report made me even more excited to go! Thanks for taking the time to share all this
adambomb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #38
Dodie
Survived the big crash
Has a personal link to Hugh Jackman
Babe, Im leaving, I must be on my way...

I loved reading your report Jennifer! It's so much fun to see things from someone else's perspective (event though Phillip and I were usually in the same small group as you and Bill whenever we split up)! Thanks for writing it. I feel like I just relived our adventure.

But where's the picture of Bill with "his" poster?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #39
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

Thanks for the great trip report. I loved all of the pics. I am glad everyone had a great time!
nmoore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
TheTXTaylors5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
But where's the picture of Bill with "his" poster?

I think that will be making an appearance on our stateroom door ...

Jennifer

Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #41
TheTXTaylors5

FYI: I exceeded my bandwith on photobucket. Oooops! The pictures will be back up on Friday. Bear with me!!!! Thanks!

Jennifer

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-19-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #42
TheTXTaylors5

The pictures are back. Enjoy ...

Jennifer

Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #43
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

I loved your review. I'm thinking of doing the July 25th trip and loved looking at your photos and reading your comments about what I can expect.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #44
KittyKitty
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful report. This ABD trip is not in my budget, so your report was the next best thing!

Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 AM   #45
murcotipton
Earning My Ears

Wow. That was one of the best trip reports I have EVER read!

Glad you had a great time, hope I can make this trip with the family one day
murcotipton is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: