Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #61
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlenhum View Post
My husband is a NYPD sergeant and he said places like Disney LOVE retired cops, especially detectives and higher ranking members of the force. We joke about moving to FL when he retires in a few years and him getting a job there.
The guy that I was chatting with in line; started out by telling me that he was celebrating his 100th visit!

He and his wife said they didn't have any problem getting any of their family to visit them - several times a year. I can only imagine!
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #62
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCeeSW View Post
Not park, but resort related--a story I'd rather forget:

To this day, I believe that one of our AKL neighbors called the front desk with concern for our screaming child and that the plain clothes, touristy-dressed man we passed was in fact, a security guard, following up on a report of a child possibly being abused. MORTIFYING. On the other hand, I am glad that (a)someone cared enough to call, and (b) that AKL security responded quickly. Likely scenario was that the man was going to knock on our door and inquire as to what was going on. I did NOT like the idea of anyone being in our room, though.
I am going to go horribly off-topic, but do be grateful someone did call.

A few days ago, it was reported by our local newspaper that a man was savagely attacked by three armed men in his house and his three year old son (that he had sole custody of) was kidnapped. Massive Amber alert, and he was found with his mom two counties away. She is being investigated to determine if she hired the three men to do it.

Anyway, long story short, one of his neighbors was interviewed by the paper. Her exact words - they were awaken by a knock at the door, but no one identified themselves as a police officer, so they just waited in their living room. They heard someone crying for several minutes, and when it stopped, they went back to bed. Didn't call 911, nothing.

Luckily, the guy did survive.

There is a case when you wish someone did take the time to call.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #63
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like
 
pilesoflaundry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wherever the army sends us, currently the desert
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
I've never noticed undercover security, which is good because they blend in well. There was one time we thought that security should have helped in a situation but apparently there wasn't security present when our situation happened. At Epcot's opening, there was a stampede to Soarin. A true stampede! The kids and I somehow got separated from dh, who was behind us. We reached the bottom of the escalator in The Land and stood off to the side and waited and waited for dh. He never came. He finally showed up, very upset. He and a women were both knocked flat to the ground by some idiot running and pushing. Luckily, he and the woman were OK, but no cast members were there to witness this, help, or stop the person who ran and pushed. Is an attraction so important that you have to hurt someone, as in pushing 2 grown adults to the ground, to get there?!
Pushing and shoving has gotten so out of control. It's the worst inside the theaters like Philarmagic. My 6 year old was almost knocked down a few times.
__________________
-Jackie

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #64
shalom
DIS Veteran
 
shalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
I do wish that the pushing/running to the headliner attractions were under better control. I'm not sure what can be done because the cms try to control the crowds, but people can be downright dangerous when they run and push. If there isn't undercover security already at the Soarin/TSM/EE/Space Mountain/ToT stampedes, I'd love to see some present there.
How long ago was this? I had heard they were cracking down on the RD rush, with CMs walking people pretty much to the attractions. We just stay well back and let the crowd go by before going in (we're not big fans of the big draw attractions anyhow), so I've not seen for myself.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #65
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!
 
Pixiedust34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,631

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
How long ago was this? I had heard they were cracking down on the RD rush, with CMs walking people pretty much to the attractions. We just stay well back and let the crowd go by before going in (we're not big fans of the big draw attractions anyhow), so I've not seen for myself.
This was in August 2009.
__________________
Kelly
Pixiedust34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #66
dmccarty
DIS Veteran
 
dmccarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 1,227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
... At Epcot's opening, there was a stampede to Soarin. A true stampede! The kids and I somehow got separated from dh, who was behind us. We reached the bottom of the escalator in The Land and stood off to the side and waited and waited for dh. He never came. He finally showed up, very upset. He and a women were both knocked flat to the ground by some idiot running and pushing. Luckily, he and the woman were OK, but no cast members were there to witness this, help, or stop the person who ran and pushed. Is an attraction so important that you have to hurt someone, as in pushing 2 grown adults to the ground, to get there?!
When did this happen? (You answered when I was typing the question! )

At RD at the parks I go for FPs so the family can stay out of the mob. RD at EPCOT to get to Soar'n is just flat out dangerous. In the spring of 2009 there was a line of CM's walking in front of the herd. The CM's had some control over the crowd but they let the herd go when the mob got to the ramp going up to The Land. The fall 2009 trip the CMs carried a thick rope. I assume people would push past the CMs prior to the rope so they added the rope.

Once in The Land the real scary stuff starts. Getting down to the first floor is just dangerous. One push and it will be a domino of people falling down the stairs or escalators. How this has not happened before has me amazed. I keep the family out of that mess.

Later,
Dan
__________________
May 2013 VBR
Oct 2009, Oct 2010, Oct 2011 AKV
Mar/Apr 2008, Apr 2009 AKL
Oct 2007 CBR
Apr 1998 and May 1997 CR
70's to 1997 too many trips to count.

Disney is a lens that focuses on people.
Sometimes it exposes the worst.
Most of the time it highlights the best.
dmccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #67
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran
 
ratlenhum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Don't JOKE...do it!! How awesome would that be!!! Lots of fun!!!!
I would love for us to do that and my dh could be a bus driver or something!! I would looove that!! I want to be a CM for the resorts...concierge or something!!!! Aaahhh,..to dream!!!!

we probably would but my son has autism and from what I understand, the special ed services in FL are among the worst in the country.
ratlenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #68
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Don't JOKE...do it!! How awesome would that be!!! Lots of fun!!!!
I would love for us to do that and my dh could be a bus driver or something!! I would looove that!! I want to be a CM for the resorts...concierge or something!!!! Aaahhh,..to dream!!!!
I work with a guy in our office, whose wife became retired as a school bus driver this year.

She celebrated by going to visit her best childhood friend in FL (who by the way is one of the "Mickeys"). They went over to the World for the day, and Diane applied for a job as a bus driver. They hired her on the spot, telling her the CDL license was "like gold."

She is planning on working during the winter months, staying with her friend, and then coming back to DE for summers until her husband retires next summer.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #69
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie
 
W.E.D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,634

I saw the elusive security at one of the shops in AdventureLand. I didn't witness the crime, but I was standing next to a guy when all of the sudden he was grabbed by two "tourists" and whisked thru a side door in a matter of seconds.

Regarding the cameras: They hide them very well. I'm interested in this stuff, and I can never find them. The only place I saw them was WoL pavillion at EC. They were, oddly enough, very obvious in that area.
__________________
Next trip: Hopefully 2016!
WDW: '76, '89, '94, '95, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '11
DL: '84
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #70
budbeerlady
I call DH The STREAK!!
Sorry honey, no world series tonight, Poo Watch 2006 is going on!
 
budbeerlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 2nd star to the right...
Posts: 7,460

I am sure they do 10 left backpack checks a day but I am so glad they do it! I love how Disney is able to handle issues and accidents so seamlessly!
__________________
Nov 2013 1st Disney Run * Oct 2012 Dream'n Again * Oct 2011 Dd Birthday Cruise* Dec 2010 its all family! *August 2009 ASMu * Nov. 2008 Girls Trip POP * Aug 2008 CBR * Oct. 2007 POP for DD Birthday Trip * Dec. 2006 AKL * Dec. 2005 POFQ for 1st Family Trip* http://stretchingittotravel.wordpress.com/


budbeerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #71
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like
 
pilesoflaundry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wherever the army sends us, currently the desert
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlenhum View Post
we probably would but my son has autism and from what I understand, the special ed services in FL are among the worst in the country.
It may vary by county but I know someone that specifically won't move out FL because her autistic son is getting such great services.
__________________
-Jackie

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #72
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime
 
dfmalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337

This thread is getting better and better, please if anyone else has any stories to tell share them....
__________________


2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
dfmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #73
4Robins
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea73 View Post
Oh hell no! You have to tell us which limb you ripped off 1st or if his right or left testicle is still embedded in his gut?
HAHA, there was no limb ripping (lucky for him). Here is what happened. I was in the Pooh Playland with my son waiting for wife and daughter to meet us there. There is a little tunnel like slide in there. My son loved it and was sliding down over and over. As i stood there watching, out of the blue runs a toddler, could barely walk, but he made a bee line for the bottom of the slide and started to crawl up.....as my son was on way down. They collided and the toddler was knocked back and landed on his butt. His father runs over and grabs my son by shirt and shoved him backwards ( he fell) and called him a little S#%T. Well this guy never saw me coming, i spun him around and knocked him in the mouth so hard, he went right down. He was very lucky that the floor there was that rubber stuff because he hit head first. I picked up my son and was going to go find Disney security myself because this guys son was going to need to be looked after for a little while. Id say about 30 seconds after i whacked him, the undercovers showed up. I had 2 wonderfull cast members vouch for me saying they saw the entire thing and that i was defending my son. I know violence isnt always the best way to solve things, but when you child is attacked like that, you do what you have to ( and i dont mind saying it felt GREAT)!!!!
4Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #74
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D. View Post
Regarding the cameras: They hide them very well. I'm interested in this stuff, and I can never find them. The only place I saw them was WoL pavillion at EC. They were, oddly enough, very obvious in that area.
I am another one that finds this fascinating. I am an architect, that now works in facilities management for the govt. I have even worked on projects for the corrections and judicial depts., so I know how the security cameras work, where they hid them, etc.

But Disney fascinates me because they have so much foliage around the parks - that would be easy to hide, but things start to grow, or blow around, so I assume that the security dept. works well with the grounds dept. to keep the cameras from having dead areas.

Now, I bet if you look hard at some of the displays, like AK, if there is an animal head hanging on the wall or something - that there is a camera in it, like staring out of the eye. I bet there are all kinds of things hidden inside the queue lines, etc.

I think I will make my next trip, instead of find the hidden mickey - find the hidden camera!

Unfortunately, in my profession, it is a curse.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #75
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime
 
dfmalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Robins View Post
HAHA, there was no limb ripping (lucky for him). Here is what happened. I was in the Pooh Playland with my son waiting for wife and daughter to meet us there. There is a little tunnel like slide in there. My son loved it and was sliding down over and over. As i stood there watching, out of the blue runs a toddler, could barely walk, but he made a bee line for the bottom of the slide and started to crawl up.....as my son was on way down. They collided and the toddler was knocked back and landed on his butt. His father runs over and grabs my son by shirt and shoved him backwards ( he fell) and called him a little S#%T. Well this guy never saw me coming, i spun him around and knocked him in the mouth so hard, he went right down. He was very lucky that the floor there was that rubber stuff because he hit head first. I picked up my son and was going to go find Disney security myself because this guys son was going to need to be looked after for a little while. Id say about 30 seconds after i whacked him, the undercovers showed up. I had 2 wonderfull cast members vouch for me saying they saw the entire thing and that i was defending my son. I know violence isnt always the best way to solve things, but when you child is attacked like that, you do what you have to ( and i dont mind saying it felt GREAT)!!!!
AWESOME!!!!!! what an embrassing story that guy had to tell when he got back home to his friends "Dude how was your vacation" "Man I got knocked out in WDW" CLASSIC!!!!!!!! Thats what happens when you mess with people kids
__________________


2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
dfmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disney, policy, security, vacation



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: