Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Mouseplanet Breastfeeding article: http://www.mouseplanet.com/9055/Brea..._at_Disneyland

DS 10 DS 7

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

A quick curserory article about breastfeeding while traveling......
http://travelwithkids.about.com/libr.../aa072303a.htm

Brings to mind a question to pose though.... has anyone PUMPED at WDW?
How (travel pump, hand, electric) and where (car, room, baby center.... potty)

DS 10 DS 7

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #18
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1800 View Post
Wonderful website called the Florida Breastfeeding Coalition
http://www.flbreastfeeding.org/

Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
Section 1. The breastfeeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which must be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health and family values. A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether or not the nipple of the mother’s breast is covered during or incidental to the breastfeeding.
What a great law!

I never had to pump at WDW. Every trip I took my DS was with me, so no need to pump!
I think if I had to pump in the parsk, I'd head to the baby care center for sure. Nursing in public, no problem. Pumping in public? No thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
RN01
Mouseketeer

I was lucky enough to get to hear Amy Spangler talk at a breastfeeding conference. She talked about going to a park one day and saw a woman sitting back away from everyone else on a picnic table nursing her baby. She wanted to tell her how proud she was of her nursing her baby in public and not to hide from everyone. As she walked up to her she could tell the woman was getting defensive, scared Amy was going to belittle her for nursing in public. After Amy talked to her telling her how proud she was for doing the best thing for her baby the woman relaxed and became more comfortable with it. Challange for those of you who aren't as shy as me: If you see a woman nursing in public... do what Amy did. Especially if she's trying to "hide" somewhere. I love seeing breastfeeding moms, it makes me miss nursing my kids.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

I will admit I had a few nasty looks at the 'world' but as my DH took my other 2 boys on rides I would sit on a bench and nurse. He was only 2 mths at the time and was eating every 2-3 hrs. It was nice to because I always had an excuse to sit and not wait in the line ups!!LOL

I nursed pretty much everywhere, even in the middle of Fantasy land while waiting for everyone to ride Dumbo! Never once did I have someone say something. I did find I had problems trying to nurse on rides, but the shows were great. Playhouse Disney was great I sat on a bench at the back in total darkness and nursed and started to fall asleep myself!!OPPS!!!

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN01 View Post
I was lucky enough to get to hear Amy Spangler talk at a breastfeeding conference. She talked about going to a park one day and saw a woman sitting back away from everyone else on a picnic table nursing her baby. She wanted to tell her how proud she was of her nursing her baby in public and not to hide from everyone. As she walked up to her she could tell the woman was getting defensive, scared Amy was going to belittle her for nursing in public. After Amy talked to her telling her how proud she was for doing the best thing for her baby the woman relaxed and became more comfortable with it. Challange for those of you who aren't as shy as me: If you see a woman nursing in public... do what Amy did. Especially if she's trying to "hide" somewhere. I love seeing breastfeeding moms, it makes me miss nursing my kids.
I always make eye contact with a nursing mom and smile and on occasion I have told her what a great job she is doing. We all need support and encouragement and despite all of the research that concludes b/f is best for baby and mom, there is still a lack of education and support, even within the medical community.

Funny nursing story......when DD was 6 months we were in WDW having lunch at Le Cellier. She was fussy and I knew she was hungry so I told my family to box up my lunch and I would meet them outside. I found a nice bench outside Le Cellier where they do Kidscot. It was so nice and quiet and I could not believe nobody was around. That was until the doors to the O Canada show opened up and people came pouring out!! I was totally covered but it was a shock because I didn't know that was where the show let out. I still laugh when I think about it
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
rosedolph
Mouseketeer

Ok, so maybe this is a silly question coming from a mother who has nursed 2 kids - what is a nursing tank top?

And Then!!
rosedolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #23
4under4
DIS Veteran

imagine a regular nursing bra, but with a tank layer that goes to your waist.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bestform-M...i_sku=10843537

works great in a layered outfit since you can lift/open the top shirt and keep your midsection covered.

Great Thread! I'm done with nursing (4 kids, including twins), but remember well the days of alway needing to factor time for nursing into every outing. Personally, I would have nursed anywhere... bench, table, ride. If baby was happy, so was mommy!

to all you nursing moms out there - you rock!

Me & DH plus our gang: DS12 DS10 DD/DS8

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
MommaB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedolph View Post
Ok, so maybe this is a silly question coming from a mother who has nursed 2 kids - what is a nursing tank top?
The least complicated (and my favorite) are just like a tank top with a built in shelf bra. The straps are really attaches at the shelf bra under your arm. Then they click in with a snap at normal strap height. You can unclick and pull it down for nursing one side at a time.
MommaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
JennCa
DIS Veteran

I'll be doing it this year and not sure where! Any tips of location?

I have done it in past, but it's been a while...

Jenn
JennCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #26
angela152
Earning My Ears

I was in disney, nursing my second daughter (3 years ago) and I just nursed where I was. I am able to do it very privately even with someone sitting right next to me. I'm sure i got looks for people, but really I don't care. There are also Baby care stations in each park that would offer a nice glider, air conditioning and plenty of room and privacy to nurse/change and feed your baby in private... It is a nice break from the heat, if you need it.
angela152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #27
meg_twittles
Earning My Ears

Smile

What a great thread! .
meg_twittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #28
candielips
DIS Veteran

Awesome thread for us moms with **** loving babies!

I will be nursing for the 1st time at WDW this summer (2nd child) and no way would I hide away. I love the idea of nursing on the rides and shows, mostly because of the air-conditioning. This actually will work great for us since it takes my DS less than 5 mins to eat.

When I 1st had my DD I was nursing her in one of those nursing rooms that was also in a bathroom when my BFF asked me why I was feeding her in a bathroom? She asked if I would eat my lunch where other people go to the bathroom? And it has stuck w/ me. I nurse in public and am proud to. No scrambling to mix bottles or heat bottles or clean bottles.

I guess the only concern I have w/ this summer is the heat and making sure that I stay hydrated enough to keep my DS hydrated.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #29
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
I guess the only concern I have w/ this summer is the heat and making sure that I stay hydrated enough to keep my DS hydrated.
You probably already know, but ice water is free at any CS location. We bring along little packets of Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch etc... to add to the water to make it taste better. Constantly buying drinks is very expensive and dehydration is definitely a concern for anyone in WDW in the summer. Add in nursing and you definitely need to watch this! I remember how hot and sweaty I used to get nursing my babies in the summer in New England, never mind Florida!

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN01 View Post
I have taken do doing this too. A nod a smile and a thumbs up!

DS 10 DS 7

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: